Closed Thread

post #31 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reio-ta View Post

Probably not as good as the RS-1, contrast wise, but definitely better color wise. I'd say probably between the Pearl and Black Pearl. With colors, it beats all three. Near perfect colors and a great gamma OOTB is really worth a lot.

Here is a humble question: what type of screen (120" 14ft away) would you recommend for the AE2000? That is for a total dark (light controlled) room.

Yeah, I'm an amateur...sorry to be a distraction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl b View Post

did the ae1000 have all those issues?

These are issues that are common to LCD. Inoperative pixels are becoming less common to the point that it is almost a non-issue, unless of course you have them. Colour uniformity has never been that great on any of the LCD projectors I have owned - I am not sure if the AE1000 was improved in this regard. Without a means of converging the LCD panels, there will be convergence errors, the only question is how obvious are they. BTW, I am following the reports on the AE2000 with great interest as I will certainly consider purchasing one provided the light output is sufficient.
post #33 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric97 View Post

Here is a humble question: what type of screen (120" 14ft away) would you recommend for the AE2000? That is for a total dark (light controlled) room.

Sorry, I have no idea. That's a pretty big screen, even for the 2000. I've tried pretty much them all. I settled on the Stewart 100" Firehawk G3 Luxus Deluxe. Quality of the image, materials and ability to watch it in both a batcave with no light reflections and in a batcave with some ambient light, is my reason. No other screen comes close for use in those situations. To me, if you only limit yourself to a super high gain screen which needs to have very strict projector placement, seating arrangements, and always the same light level ( probably none at all), that's very limiting, what fun is that?
post #34 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric97 View Post

I would think the DaLite High Power screen can work for that size screen.
post #35 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

reio-ta,

Thanks for reporting back on your review.
Sounds like the Ae2000 should be a great all around projector with all these improvements.

I recently had a good opportunity and sold my RS1 at a great price.

I'm ready to order the Ae2000 when it comes out.
Any idea when that will be ?

Joe
post #36 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post

reio-ta,

Thanks for reporting back on your review.
Sounds like the Ae2000 should be a great all around projector with all these improvements.

I recently had a good opportunity and sold my RS1 at a great price.

I'm ready to order the Ae2000 when it comes out.
Any idea when that will be ?

Joe

No idea, but from the body language the Japanese lady was giving me, I'd say early November.
post #37 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 02:14 PM

It looks like Reio-ta beat me to the punch. I have been really busy lately and was going to put up my own review tonight.

Lets start with some specs. It includes 3 hdmi that are 1.3. Projector is brighter at 1500 lumens and contrast has been kicked up to 16000:1

Has some nice new features, they updated the Waveform monitor so it will adjust the projector automatically for you unlike last years units which had to be done manually

They added a interesting calibrating feature. What you do is freeze the picture and select a portion of the picture you want to adjust. It will then put up the image twice either as a mirror image or as a duplicate. Then when you adjust color, brightness or whatever, it will do it to one of the images only so that you can see where you started out and where you are going

Another interesting option is that you can freeze a picture and using a targeting feature, you can adjust the color of the object. So for example we chose a blue house. They targeted the blue and were able to adjust the blue so that the entire house was modified.

I think like before the internal color filter can be disengaged depending on what mode you are in. I didnt ask about that , but if i remember from the older units, you had that option

I asked about Anamorphic lens and whatever the AE1000 had so does the AE2000

The people from Panasonic have seen our comparision of the AE1000 with other projectors using the picture of Gandolf and they have added some time of feature that sharpens the picture. Do be honest, I had nothing to compare with so I have no idea how much of a difference it makes or not

Price, as mentioned before, they didnt know. Best they could tell us was that it wouldnt be more than the AE1000

When I asked about the ability to take off smoothscreen, I was told no. From what I gather, they seemed to be concerned with screendoor so my guess is that they will have smoothscreen for a long time. According to them, they have a new smoothscreen system Although they havent said anything, i think they are trying to remove the issue of lack of sharpness

As for my opinion, the picture and colors are beautiful and has a nice sharp image. Is it DLP sharp, no, but I have always thought that while I love DLP sharpness, it doesnt have to the standard. Black levels are very good and I actually like Cinema 1 unlike my companion and I enjoy bright pictures so the 1500 lumens worked well with me. Plus since so many of us are going with large 2.35 screens, the extra lumens can be used

How they compare to the Pearl or RS1, well it definitely brighter than either one of them. I havent seem the Pearl in a long time so I am going by memory, but I would think the AE2000 has better colors. I own the RS1 but I am embarrased to say that I havent put it up yet as I have been working on the room. Being that people have been saying that the RS1 doesnt have accurate colors, its easy to say that the Panny has better colors.
As for black levels.again without a direct comparsion it would be hard to say. On the other hand, I cant imagine their would be a huge difference.

One think you can say about the Panny is that it has an amazing number of controls and how you can adjust just about anything you want. Like previously mentioned, it has 16 memory options which you can name yourself.
post #38 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 02:18 PM

ric 97

assuming you had dark walls and light control, you should have no problem using a 1.3 gain screen. You can go with a 1.5 or possibly the High Power, but assuming you get close to a 1000 lumens, 1.3 should work fine
post #39 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

November's only a few weeks away.
I hope that it'll street at around 2.5k where the competition is priced at with no rebate nonsense. I wouldn't pay 4k for it and I won't bother with ridiculous $1000 mail in rebates.
post #40 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Thanks Daniel!

I cant believe the advancements they are making at these price points. Un heard of just a few years ago. I am going to order this for myself Daniel based on your say so. Panasonic owes you a kick back
post #41 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

November's only a few weeks away.
I hope that it'll street at around 2.5k where the competition is priced at with no rebate nonsense. I wouldn't pay 4k for it and I won't bother with ridiculous $1000 mail in rebates.

If it hits that price with rebates, i'll be stoked! I dont mind a rebate when its a thousand bucks.

I dont like the 2 dollar or 10 dollar rebate things...they aren't always worth the time. But 1000 dollars? then its worth it!

I think at this point the lamp life and price are my only concerns.

EDIT- BTW, THANK YOU DANIEL! I really really wish i could have made it out. Its only about a 20 minute drive from my place in south pas.
post #42 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 02:26 PM

you would think after all this time they would send me a free one

Actually they are very kind and I really appreciate they they invite me ever year. They really seem to listen to what I have to say. One year, I complained in front of a large group that they only had one dvi or hdmi connection on their unit, the next year when they introduced their new model they mentioned in front of everyone that they had added an addtional dvi\\hdmi input because I had complained the previous year. While I am sure it wasnt added because of me, it was still a nice thing to say.

I did tell them this year that they should come out with a 2.35 projector next year. If they do, I am going to claim responsibility on that next year
post #43 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki View Post

The people from Panasonic have seen our comparision of the AE1000 with other projectors using the picture of Gandolf and they have added some time of feature that sharpens the picture.

You're welcome
Finally they admit (indirectly) that the SS implementation on the AE1000 was poor.

Quote:

According to them, they have a new smoothscreen system Although they havent said anything, i think they are trying to remove the issue of lack of sharpness

Unfortunate for those that already bought the Ae1000, but I do look forward to seeing this improved version in action.
post #44 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Finally they admit (indirectly) that the SS implementation on the AE1000 was poor.

Panasonic wasn't indirect at all, which is a shock considering she is Japanese. She bluntly said how she couldn't believe they ever sold the 1000 and the Smooth Screen in the 2000 was nothing like the 1000 in any fashion. I said this before, Panasonic says the 1000 and 2000 are nothing alike. The only thing the same is the way the case looks, that's it. Panasonic proved the new SS only smooths the edges of the pixels leaving the pixels in tact. They showed a picture of a block wall and froze it, the blocks were very tiny. you could see all the cracks, the mortar, and the faces with perfect clarity as if it were an actual printed picture. It looks nothing like either of those Gandalf screen shots, even from in your face distances.
post #45 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:

You're welcome

Joe, they also said they would be sending you a check
post #46 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Joe, they also said they would be sending you a check

Most excellent. It'll help fund my planned scope setup and lens.

Personally I'd prefer a longer term plan like a royalty on every unit sold
post #47 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Daniel will the AE2000 still retain the motorized focus and zoom ?
post #48 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Daniel will the AE2000 still retain the motorized focus and zoom ?

Page 52:

Manual zoom and focus!

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/p...AE2000U_En.pdf

Might also find this interesting. Information not listed in the manual about features the 2000 uses, like specifics about bit-ranges, hdmi types, etc. Also pretty pictures in color!

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/p...d/ae2000ul.pdf

The manual states the 2000 only does 2,000 hours when the lamp is set to normal mode in the menu. At 1,800 hours the projector warns you to get a new lamp, and at 2,000 hours turns off the projector within 10 minutes. It specifically states NORMAL, not LOW, yet shows low mode as an option. I wonder when the indicator light comes on when set to low?
post #49 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Page 52:

Manual zoom and focus!

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/p...AE2000U_En.pdf

Might also find this interesting. Information not listed in the manual about features the 2000 uses, like specifics about bit-ranges, hdmi types, etc. Also pretty pictures in color!

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/p...d/ae2000ul.pdf

The manual states the 2000 only does 2,000 hours when the lamp is set to normal mode in the menu. At 1,800 hours the projector warns you to get a new lamp, and at 2,000 hours turns off the projector within 10 minutes. It specifically states NORMAL, not LOW, yet shows low mode as an option. I wonder when the indicator light comes on when set to low?

I would guess 3000 hours, as that is what i've seen on other projectors with a 2000 hour lamp life and normal and eco modes.

Here's another question:

Is the body the same to the point where the same ceiling/projector mounts can be used?
post #50 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower View Post

Is the body the same to the point where the same ceiling/projector mounts can be used?

I have no clue. Nothing was said about that at the presentation. I wish they had shown off the projector itself. The projector was tied down to the cart. It would have been neat had she shown how the lens shift, focus and mounting was handled.

Alas, she was mostly interested in showing off how cartoony Cinema1 was and all the silly coloration modes were.

The only thing you really need to do to set up the 2000, after correct placement, mounting, and focusing is:

1) Set to Color1
2) Feed a Grayscale color bar pattern to the projector, go to gamma adjust, look at the waveform for what the grayscale currently looks like. If the bars aren't moving up at an equal rate, just hit auto adjust and the 2000 looks at the levels being sent and automatically adjusts for 0 to 255 and 16 to 235 levels.
3) High or Low lamp mode depending on screen size and room conditions.

That's about it. None of those other features really mean a thing. I wish more digital displays could be REC 709 and gamma 2.2 compliant right out of the box like that. If more companies did what Panasonic does with the 2000, ISF calibrators would be out of business! Such heresy I know!

I like how the 2000 will take a 1080i60 3:2 signal and with the cinema reality function set to on, will automatically detect cadence and output a true 24p signal!

Oh, I forgot to mention in my first post which I'll add. The auto iris, is pretty much undetectable. I'm very sensitive to any kinds of resolution pumping, brightness compression, and fluctuating brightness. I saw none of those with the 2000.
post #51 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like how the 2000 will take a 1080i60 3:2 signal and with the cinema reality function set to on, will automatically detect cadence and output a true 24p signal!

Wow...that is pretty cool, thinking about it...really if it truly works, then there isn't a need for a 24P player...does it only work at 1080i60 or also 1080p60?
post #52 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh, I forgot to mention in my first post which I'll add. The auto iris, is pretty much undetectable. I'm very sensitive to any kinds of resolution pumping, brightness compression, and fluctuating brightness. I saw none of those with the 2000.

That is also very cool...from initial impressions in the Sanyo thread it sounds like this is a huge difference in favor of the panny.
post #53 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower View Post

Wow...that is pretty cool, thinking about it...really if it truly works, then there isn't a need for a 24P player...does it only work at 1080i60 or also 1080p60?

I only know about 1080i60. The projector shows the input type, which was set to 1080i. It worked great, except for a few hickups, but I then did some research and both Blu-ray Pirates of the Caribbean releases exhibit what I saw using old firmware, so it's not from the projector but because Panasonic didn't update their Blu-ray player to make Pirates output the correct frames.
post #54 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 04:46 PM

I just bought an AE 1000 a few weeks ago. Is the AE 2000 going to make me wish I had waited?
post #55 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCoug View Post

I just bought an AE 1000 a few weeks ago. Is the AE 2000 going to make me wish I had waited?

From the talk coming out of this thread, I would have to say yes...
post #56 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCoug View Post

I don't know, but according to sources, the Panasonic lady, there is a dramatic difference between the two. I do know this projector is on a very short list of mine. I'm one of the pickiest SOBs around. If I'm happy that means a lot. Panasonic did its job, a dramatic improvement from last year's model. If it wasn't, why buy the next model, right? I haven't seen the 1000, so I don't know if the difference is enough to make you wish you'd waited. All I can say is the 2000 is an amazing projector, especially for the money.
post #57 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

does the 2000 have the holy grail, cms?
post #58 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl b View Post

does the 2000 have the holy grail, cms?

No it doesn't. It has a coloration system. But who cares? It has the holy grail of, "OMFG, 100% correct REC 709 colors right out of the box!"

http://www.cine4home.de/news/PanaAE2000/Pic23.jpg

How much more better do you need than that?
post #59 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
can you honestly say ALL units have 100% correct?

always unit variance...

Current Projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #60 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 05:30 PM

I had a Panasonic 1000 for a few days and thought it was a nice projector, but my complaints were: 1) not enough brightness (seems to have been corrected in the 2000) 2) too loud in terms of acoustic noise 3) typically mediocre LCD ANSI contrast. Can you address the last two points. Thanks.
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page