Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Warning, take heed of this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post

the panny is definitely inferior to the JVC, no amount of messing around could get around that fact. Blacks aren't as good, not as much punch in to the image and colours whilst fairly good looked less vibrant and muted in general during the side by side.

If you want inaccurate colors, want to compare it to projectors costing several thousand more, etc, move on this isn't the projector for you.

Oversaturated colors biased towards too much red and green are of course going to look more vibrant and "punchy". That doesn't make them accurate, nor what you'll see in the movie theater. The only way to get the exact cinema experience is to buy the actual film used in the theater. Complain to people that made the REC 709 color space.

So if you want to have one of the best cinema experiences using the limitations of the REC 709 HD color space, and not a fake simulation of one, read on. End of PSA. Now on with the review.

Today I saw the Panasonic PT-AE2000u. A very interesting projector. It beats the Sony VPL-VW50 (Pearl) hands down. I do have a few concerns which I will get to.

Environment:
The projector was in a black room, which had the potential to be fully light controlled. It's a shame not all the lights could be out. For the light level which was shown, there were no flaws compared to CRT direct view. The amount of light would be, I'd guesstimate, about as much from a bathroom night light in the next room with the door open. The screen was ~100 inch diagonal shown on a much larger screen probably about 30 feet wide.

Projector:

From a design perspective, the case looks very good. It's black with matte paint. You can add a box, provided with the projector, which makes the unit completely square and symmetrical and can be also used to hide wires or make it look better. The lens is very high quality glass, with several individual lens elements. I took a look at the C2Fine D7 panels itself. It's amazing it can be that small. The filter is located on the side and looks easy to remove, which should allow you to just vacuum it without having to replacing it with each cleaning. During the presentation, I was able to look at the remote. For a projector the remote was quite nice. Buttons illuminated in the dark, it had a digital display and could be programmed to use with your other A/V equipment, much like a universal remote. There was a 16 memory program display to hold different settings, all of which could be named, so you don't have to remember what each one does. A on screen gamma control allows for devices to be move their waveform steps, a good feature to have with devices which output odd or peculiar gammas.

Color:

Absolutely beautiful. DO NOT put the projector in any other color mode except Color1. In the middle of the presentation I had the lady put the projector in Color1 from Cinema1. The difference was enormous. I tried to gently persuade her to keep it in that mode, but she was convinced to keep the projector in the horrible Cinema1 mode which used exaggerated colors. What was she thinking? We're videophiles here. Cinema mode makes everything way too red and green, blues aren't too bad. Color1 PERFECTLY renders REC 709 colors. No other device has come close except on a professionally calibrated CRT pro monitor. The lady told me, "Cinema provides a richer color experience which allows more colors than the REC 709 spec which is only for HDTV, not movies." After having such a wonderful mode, which even directors use for digital intermediates on this projector, it amazes me Panasonic would promote the cartoon colors, saying Color1 is only used by professionals who want to make movies! ARG!!!!

Gamma:

The gamma on the Pearl is also no comparison to the 2000. Even on a unit I saw which had the gamma corrected, the 2000, was way better. Gamma is also hundreds times easier to adjust on the 2000, no need to hook up to a computer to get the best gamma curve the unit can achieve. The 2000 can calibrate gamma both from the signal levels showing a waveform (automatically have the 2000 calibrate gamma using a gray scale image for you) and manually using a meter by dragging the waveform with the remote buttons.

Smooth Screen:

For all of you who say smooth screen is exactly the same as slightly defocussing the lens slightly, check your eyes! Not once did I say to myself I was losing slight detail. I personally think this should be called "Smooth Screen 2". I was closer than one screen width and couldn't see pixels at all. There was no noise at all.

Auto iris:

The auto iris, is pretty much undetectable. I'm very sensitive to any kinds of resolution pumping, brightness compression, and fluctuating brightness. I saw none of those with the 2000. The auto iris in turn adds darker black levels without being glaringly obvious except to the most picky viewers who MUST have 100% perfect image at all times. But nothing shows an image perfect anyway! So in my opinion, you can just leave it on and not worry one bit.

Uniformity:

I saw perfect uniformity. I'm very sensitive to that. People all said, "a DIY screen sprayed on with the proper spray gun, done in a professional manner, will look just as good as a professional matte white screen." Were they ever wrong, I could see lines all over the place where the edge of the spray made band marks. I must be very sensitive because no one else who saw my DIY screen could even see the marks. On the 2000, there was no banding or differences in color brightness from the center, edges or corners that I noticed or could see.

Video Processing:

Very excellent. 1080i60 to 1080p60 was flawless. No studder or image artifacts of any kind. Mosquito noise was either non-existant or every so slight as to not be called noise IMHO. This isn't to say the image was overly processed. On the contrary, the image looked very film like. Not digital in the least. CRT looks more processed in comparison. It was like going to a movie theater. 24p mode was good for the most part. I did notice slight motion problems in the beginning scene of the Blu-ray movie Pirates of the Caribbean Curse of the Black Pearl. I don't know if it was the player, the way the Panasonic projector handled 24p, or the encoding itself. A particular scene was when Knightly gets out of bed and you see the curtains, the curtains break up and the pixels move back and forth. I will have to hear from users who played the movie and used the Panasonic Blu-ray player if why that was there. Next they played a 1080i60 clip from their in house Panasonic hard disk drive. That was flawless and had no studdering or pixel breakup. So I'm clueless why Pirates did.

Brightness:
WAY TOO BRIGHT. I don't know what was up here, maybe the projector was in high lamp and needed to be turned to low. If brightness is a problem for you, it won't be with this projector.

Black levels and shadow delineation:

Black levels could be improved but was damn good. The problems with blacks was most likely due to not being in a batcave. If the presentation were made to look like a batcave, I'm sure even a CRTer projector user would be pleased. Much better than the Pearl in the same environment. The gamma curve was excellent, best I've seen on any digital, of any class. Neither blacks nor whites were being clipped or crushed. Your environment, more than anything else, will effect how well your blacks are with this projector. Even with my CRT direct view HDTV, it can't even show blacks as well as this projector in the environment shown, I can just imagine what it would look like in a batcave!

Conclusion:

If the MSRP or MAP is really ~$3,000. It's a steal for what you get. Once I can confirm what the problem with the 24p is, there were absolutely NO FLAWS. If the 24p is broken, Panasonic FIX IT. VERY VERY highly recommended if the 24p support is fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki View Post

It looks like Reio-ta beat me to the punch. I have been really busy lately and was going to put up my own review tonight.

Lets start with some specs. It includes 3 hdmi that are 1.3. Projector is brighter at 1500 lumens and contrast has been kicked up to 16000:1

Has some nice new features, they updated the Waveform monitor so it will adjust the projector automatically for you unlike last years units which had to be done manually

They added a interesting calibrating feature. What you do is freeze the picture and select a portion of the picture you want to adjust. It will then put up the image twice either as a mirror image or as a duplicate. Then when you adjust color, brightness or whatever, it will do it to one of the images only so that you can see where you started out and where you are going

Another interesting option is that you can freeze a picture and using a targeting feature, you can adjust the color of the object. So for example we chose a blue house. They targeted the blue and were able to adjust the blue so that the entire house was modified.

I think like before the internal color filter can be disengaged depending on what mode you are in. I didnt ask about that , but if i remember from the older units, you had that option

I asked about Anamorphic lens and whatever the AE1000 had so does the AE2000

The people from Panasonic have seen our comparision of the AE1000 with other projectors using the picture of Gandolf and they have added some time of feature that sharpens the picture. Do be honest, I had nothing to compare with so I have no idea how much of a difference it makes or not

Price, as mentioned before, they didnt know. Best they could tell us was that it wouldnt be more than the AE1000

When I asked about the ability to take off smoothscreen, I was told no. From what I gather, they seemed to be concerned with screendoor so my guess is that they will have smoothscreen for a long time. According to them, they have a new smoothscreen system Although they havent said anything, i think they are trying to remove the issue of lack of sharpness

As for my opinion, the picture and colors are beautiful and has a nice sharp image. Is it DLP sharp, no, but I have always thought that while I love DLP sharpness, it doesnt have to the standard. Black levels are very good and I actually like Cinema 1 unlike my companion and I enjoy bright pictures so the 1500 lumens worked well with me. Plus since so many of us are going with large 2.35 screens, the extra lumens can be used

How they compare to the Pearl or RS1, well it definitely brighter than either one of them. I havent seem the Pearl in a long time so I am going by memory, but I would think the AE2000 has better colors. I own the RS1 but I am embarrased to say that I havent put it up yet as I have been working on the room. Being that people have been saying that the RS1 doesnt have accurate colors, its easy to say that the Panny has better colors.
As for black levels.again without a direct comparsion it would be hard to say. On the other hand, I cant imagine their would be a huge difference.

One think you can say about the Panny is that it has an amazing number of controls and how you can adjust just about anything you want. Like previously mentioned, it has 16 memory options which you can name yourself.

Any more questions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 444 Old 10-09-2007, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Did they talk pricing or street date at all?

Did they confirm this was a final production model and not prepro in anyway?

Thanks for the update? Was this from the showing with Daniel today in L.A.?

God, i wish i could have gotten off work. Its hard to decide between this and the sanyo, and want them to hurry up and come out!

Thanks again!
post #3 of 444 Old 10-09-2007, 05:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

how about some screen shots!
post #4 of 444 Old 10-09-2007, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower View Post

Did they talk pricing or street date at all?

Did they confirm this was a final production model and not prepro in anyway?

Thanks for the update? Was this from the showing with Daniel today in L.A.?

God, i wish i could have gotten off work. Its hard to decide between this and the sanyo, and want them to hurry up and come out!

Thanks again!

Nope, I wasn't given any information other than, "The projector will be the same price or cheaper than the AE1000".

Looked about as final as it could get to me. But not 100% sure.

Yes, with Daniel.

You should have come!
post #5 of 444 Old 10-09-2007, 05:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

just to get some discussion going, how does the 2000 compare with the jvc rs1?
post #6 of 444 Old 10-09-2007, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You mention that the AE2000 beats the VW50 hands down. Was a VW50 being shown alongside the AE2000 for comparison, and if so, in what ways was the AE2000 superior?
post #7 of 444 Old 10-09-2007, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post

You mention that the AE2000 beats the VW50 hands down. Was a VW50 being shown alongside the AE2000 for comparison, and if so, in what ways was the AE2000 superior?

I have a good memory. I've seen the Pearl at many locations, three at well setup stores and at a home. The colors are just plain better on the 2000. The Pearl's colors are way over saturated, and if you try to correct them, the image either becomes too bright or too dark. The gamma on the Pearl is also no comparison to the 2000. Even on a unit I saw which had the gamma corrected, the 2000, was way better. Gamma is also hundreds times easier to adjust on the 2000, no need to hook up to a computer to get the best gamma curve the unit can achieve. The 2000 can calibrate gamma both from the internal sensor showing a waveform and manually using a meter by dragging the waveform with the remote buttons. I've seen Pirates on a Pearl and on the 2000. The 2000 shows Pirates exactly how I remember it at the theater, except for the strange problem with 24p. Shadow details come out a lot stronger. The scene where the ship's bow(tip) comes out of the water, literally looks like it's coming straight at you. The gradations are superb. Colors using Color1 uses REC 709, even in cinema1 looks "ok", but spectacular in Color1. The Pearl on the other hand doesn't show anything which resembles "correct colors", before I saw the 2000, I thought I could live without proper colors if it meant the fantastic shadows the Pearl was capable of, for a digital projector. Was I ever wrong. Go look at the 2000 preview from cine4home. He doesn't exaggerate, the colors are spot on and don't deviate from the full REC 709 triangle. I get very pissed about inaccurate colors, I was willing to put up with slightly over saturated greens and slightly sun burnt red faces. No more after what I saw was possible with the 2000. If colors are important to you, you pretty much won't be disappointed with the 2000.
post #8 of 444 Old 10-09-2007, 08:24 PM

Can a projector ever be too bright . Looks like a great report as I've been keeping an eye on this.
post #9 of 444 Old 10-09-2007, 09:54 PM

If the JVC RS-1 is comparable to the Pearl (RS-1 is still superior), and the AE-2000 is hands down better than the Pearl, then could this mean that the AE-2000 is better than the RS-1? If the black level is much better than the Pearl, then could it reach or surpass the black level of the JVC???

Darn, this is getting good!!!
post #10 of 444 Old 10-09-2007, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obewantx2000 View Post

If the JVC RS-1 is comparable to the Pearl (RS-1 is still superior), and the AE-2000 is hands down better than the Pearl, then could this mean that the AE-2000 is better than the RS-1? If the black level is much better than the Pearl, then could it reach or surpass the black level of the JVC???

Darn, this is getting good!!!

Probably not as good as the RS-1, contrast wise, but definitely better color wise. I'd say probably between the Pearl and Black Pearl. With colors, it beats all three. Near perfect colors and a great gamma OOTB is really worth a lot.
post #11 of 444 Old 10-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reio-ta View Post

Probably not as good as the RS-1, contrast wise, but definitely better color wise. I'd say probably between the Pearl and Black Pearl. With colors, it beats all three. Near perfect colors and a great gamma OOTB is really worth a lot.

Did the AE2000 achieved best color accuracy with the pure color filter inserted? How much lumens is lost with the filter on?

I am actually pysched with the VW-60, but you have to confuse things for me
post #12 of 444 Old 10-09-2007, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

24p mode was good for the most part. I did notice slight motion problems in the beginning scene of the Blu-ray movie Pirates of the Caribbean 1. I don't know if it was the player, the way the Panasonic projector handled 24p, or the encoding itself.

I did some searching, it appears the Panasonic Blu-ray player needed to be updated. There seems to be an issue with many releases with Blu-ray movies, two releases of Pirates produced motion artifacts:

"My Opinion: This isn't first time this has happened - there was a major playback issue with the two Pirates of the Caribbean, The Descent, and Speed Blu-ray Disc releases, as well as playback issues with some HD-DVD/DVD combo discs. However, the vast majority of playback issues revolve around periodic Blu-ray disc releases."

http://hometheater.about.com/b/a/258257.htm

Way to go Blu-ray making an otherwise great demo crap! Now I don't know if it's the projector or the Blu-ray player which needs fixing. My guess is it's the Blu-ray player and the projector is just fine.
post #13 of 444 Old 10-09-2007, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckong View Post

Did the AE2000 achieved best color accuracy with the pure color filter inserted? How much lumens is lost with the filter on?

I am actually pysched with the VW-60, but you have to confuse things for me

You can't take it "off", it's part of the design. Just like Smooth Screen, it's part of the lens. Daniel asked about turning off those "features". The lady from Panasonic talking told him it's part of the design. The color filters and Smooth Screen have been improved. Quote from the lady, "It's hard to believe we ever sold the 1000 when you compare how much better the 2000 is in comparison." They talked about the pure color filter in the demo, no need to "insert" it! Like I said before, a brand new lamp on a 100" screen or so, it's so bright as to almost blind. You might even need to use an ND filter at first. It's even blindingly bright with some lighting on in the room too.
post #14 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can't take it "off", it's part of the design. Just like Smooth Screen, it's part of the lens. Daniel asked about turning off those "features". The lady from Panasonic talking told him it's part of the design. The color filters and Smooth Screen have been improved. Quote from the lady, "It's hard to believe we ever sold the 1000 when you compare how much better the 2000 is in comparison." They talked about the pure color filter in the demo, no need to "insert" it! Like I said before, a brand new lamp on a 100" screen or so, it's so bright as to almost blind. You might even need to use an ND filter at first. It's even blindingly bright with some lighting on in the room too.

This was taken off a translation of cine4home preview of AE2K:

"When further contrast-increasing measure remains also the pure Color filter to receive, the white alignment on the video standard trims is and at the same time the color area increased. It is still if necessary insertable and pushes themselves mechanically internally into the optical path.
The pure Color filter swallows much light, the PT-AE2000 offers with its D7-Panels here however fortunately more light reserves, so that more remains remaining on the canvas net."

So I assumed perhaps selecting other color scheme, the color filter will be taken out from the optical path......
post #15 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckong View Post

This was taken off a translation of cine4home preview of AE2K:

"When further contrast-increasing measure remains also the pure Color filter to receive, the white alignment on the video standard trims is and at the same time the color area increased. It is still if necessary insertable and pushes themselves mechanically internally into the optical path.
The pure Color filter swallows much light, the PT-AE2000 offers with its D7-Panels here however fortunately more light reserves, so that more remains remaining on the canvas net."

So I assumed perhaps selecting other color scheme, the color filter will be taken out from the optical path......

That's a machine translation of German into English, errors exist. Cine4home probably used test equipment to check what the color filter, which is part of the lens, is doing. Other than the fact a higher color temperature automatically makes an image produce more lumens, other than that when she switched through all the color modes, the picture didn't seem to JUMP significantly brighter. The only difference was, one was the correct color and ALL the other modes were WRONG colors.

I held the actual lens mechanism, iris flaps and the D7 panel. The lens assembly uses several lens elements, much like you'd find in a multi-thousand dollar SLR lens. The lens in the 2000 is very good quality GLASS, not some cheapy plastic like in many other projectors. The 2000 uses ED, glare and chromatic abberation resistant, lens elements. It's amazing those type of optics can be in a projector anywhere as low as it sells.
post #16 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 12:54 AM

Certainly in the AX100 the colour filter used to be moved in and out of the light path automatically depending on the mode you used. So you're saying the colour filter is fixed in place? Even in Dynamic mode?
post #17 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member

The cine4home preview clearly states that the colour filter in the AE2000 can be moved in and out of the light path.
post #18 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 03:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

could the reviewer comment on apparent ansi contrast(i know you didn't measure) was the intra-scene contrast very good? any of the motion blur that people discribe seeing with lcd?
is the ae2000 this years sleeper pj that best them all?
post #19 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 34
does the 2000 have panel alignment adjustments?
post #20 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 09:27 AM

Wow, if this projector is significantly brighter than the Black Pearl, and even the RS1, and the color being much more accurate, with the contrast and black level not too far off, then it might be a very strong contender to consider over the competition.
post #21 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I would be VERY surprised if the AE2000 offers a brighter image than the VW60 or RS1 in its Cinema 1 or Colour 1 modes. I hope it does, but I doubt it. Keep in mind that the AE2000 uses the same wimpy lamp as the AE1000. Add 20% more light for higher fill factor and perhaps a bit more light due to a new light engine, but this would mean maybe 500-600 lumens with a minimum throw setup. Come on Panasonic, put the same lamp in the AE2000 as is used in the AX100/AX200.
post #22 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarmuid View Post

Certainly in the AX100 the colour filter used to be moved in and out of the light path automatically depending on the mode you used. So you're saying the colour filter is fixed in place? Even in Dynamic mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_Sunshine View Post

The cine4home preview clearly states that the colour filter in the AE2000 can be moved in and out of the light path.

All I can say is what I was told. There was the Japanese engineer who came in from Japan who designed the light engine, the lady Japanese translator, and a white man who calibrated the color1 mode which is to be used in all 2000s. The Japanese lady told Daniel that the brand new Smooth Screen and new color filter on the 2000, were part of the design and couldn't be turned off. She said many many times how the 1000 and 2000 were radically different. The only feature they shared is they both look the same, but that's it. The color engine, optical path, lcd D7 panel, image clarity processor, and all HDMI 1.3a (3 instead of 2, which can be configured to DVI with a menu option for use with a computer), were all brand new designs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl b View Post

could the reviewer comment on apparent ansi contrast(i know you didn't measure) was the intra-scene contrast very good? any of the motion blur that people discribe seeing with lcd?
is the ae2000 this years sleeper pj that best them all?

The same clarity you could see with the dingy browns with the bow of the boat, could be seen in the brightly lit face in the sun outdoors, to the scene from NY fly by at night, all looked clear for both highlights and shadows.

The only motion blur was with the poor Blu-ray support which I suspect would show up just as bad or worse on any display. The fast panning 60i scenes from the Panasonic demo off the hard disk drive, were smooth and without any kind of motion blur I could make out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

does the 2000 have panel alignment adjustments?

The lady went over all the features, from the 16-bit gamma, 12-bit 4:4:4 internal processing, to the xvYCC + Deep Color HDMI 1.3. Panel alignment wasn't mentioned, but isn't a problem at all. Pixels are perfectly aligned with the absolutely amazing lens the 2000 comes with.
post #23 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

so what is not to like about the ae2000?
is this one the lcd that catches up with dlp and lcos?
post #24 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl b View Post

so what is not to like about the ae2000?
is this one the lcd that catches up with dlp and lcos?

The image isn't processed enough. The in your face sharpness doesn't make them go WOW because they can't see the straight pixel to pixel lines which are very smoothly blended together to look like 35mm film. It's still not bright enough. The sample and hold makes some people think it's blurry when it's not, the image isn't flickering slightly like a CRT or shutter effect from a projector, because the LCD is always on. They hold some hatred towards Panasonic because of what happened to them by Panasonic in a past life.

I don't know if it so much as "catches up" to DLP and LCOS, this LCD projector by Panasonic leaves the LCD life behind it. It didn't look like any other technology I'd ever seen before. What I do say, it leaves behind my old impressions of LCD only being ultra processed, screen door havoc, gray blacks and shadows so bad it looks like the screen is being watched with a camp fire in your room, and motion real bad that it's like I'm watching Gumby for everything.
post #25 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Thanks for the report reio-ta.

I think it is time I replace my AE700 with this model so I am looking forward to its release. Sounds like Panasonic has been busy
post #26 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Do we still not have a US release estimated date?
post #27 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

i'm fascinated by this review.
does avs retail the ae2000?
when is the preorder?
post #28 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Without a panel alignment feature, I would expect there to be many, many AE2000s shipping with convergence issues to the degree that sharpness would be negatively affected. If I get an AE2000 I will want to have the specific projector I am going to purchase checked for the common LCD issues of bad pixels, poor convergence, and poor colour uniformity. Maybe LCD projectors with the D7 panels will be far better in these areas, but until I know for certain I will purchase with caution.
post #29 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 12:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

did the ae1000 have all those issues?
post #30 of 444 Old 10-10-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't think AVS will carry these. Maybe we can get a ProjectorPeople group buy w/ extended warranty or similar incentive.
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page