External Scaler necessary with new breed of Projectors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-10-2007, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know there is a separate forum for Scalers/Video processors but I wanted to get some feedback from the people in this thread that have experimented with some of the newer projectors like the RS1, Marantz VP-15S1, and Sim2 HT3000e.
Basically, I wanted to know if you think the external scalers give a "noticeable" benefit over the new projectors' internal scalers. I am looking to upgrade from a Dwin TV3E which is the two box solution with a separate scaler/video switcher to one of these new projectors and I was wondering if I should invest in a new external scaler/switcher or just get a dedicated preamp/hdmi video switcher.
My primary sources are DirecTV(HD DVR) and a Toshiba XA2 HD DVD. This makes up 99% of my viewing material.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
im sure it looks nicer, 2-3,000 dollars nicer, no..but i guess if money is no object than its not a big investment. I wish i had a scaler but it would really only help me for my lower res stuff.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-10-2007, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccormack View Post

im sure it looks nicer, 2-3,000 dollars nicer, no..but i guess if money is no object than its not a big investment. I wish i had a scaler but it would really only help me for my lower res stuff.

Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking. I think external scalers made a lot more sense when we were primarily dealing with various 480i sources and projectors had minimal or no scaling. -but now that most of the stuff I watch in the theater is either native HD or upconverted to HD via the DVD scaler, combined with the fact that most good projectors have decent internal scalers, I really don't think I need it. On the other hand, it is evident in the "Video Processors" forum that there is definitely still a market for these products so...
post #4 of 8 Old 10-10-2007, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think that there is no question a video processor helps. But, I think that the improvements are becoming more subtle as the projectors are utilizing better and better internal processors. Thus, the value goes down.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-10-2007, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I also think video processors give you more options on what you can do with picture than maybe the standard scalers built into the projector.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-10-2007, 06:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Very true. Most allow custom aspect ratios, change of refresh rates/timings, etc...

Plus there is no question a 2 box setup is an easier installation.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-10-2007, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Having owned a couple of high-end scalers, I am of the opinion that their simple ability to scale and deinterlace often does NOT provide a visible image improvement over what you get from the processors in many of the newer projectors. For example, I thought that the HQV processing in the Vantage HD product noticeably improved the image I saw from a SIM2 HT3000, but offered little in the way of improvement to the Sharp 20K.

Where an external processor can really make a difference is when it includes controls that allow you to calibrate the image better than what the projector's native controls allow.

For example, the VXP-based Optoma HD3000 has both a full compliment of gray scale and color decoding controls that can make a real difference to image quality if you are willing to have the projector calibrated. Also, the endlessly always-around-the-corner Lumagen Radiance will have both of these features and they promise to add a complete CMS that would allow you to dial in nearly perfect color. Either could make a profound difference.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #8 of 8 Old 10-13-2007, 05:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The Reon VX in my HC5000 does a superior job with component video compared to the ABT in my Yamaha receiver, better than my former DVDO and Lumagens.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page