Vertical Line Issue (See Attached Photo)- Infocus 7205 / Toshiba TDP MT800 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-16-2007, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Toshiba TDP MT 800 (Toshiba's remarketed version of the Infocus 7205) has started displaying black vertical lines (see attached photo). I spent a few hours troubleshooting the connections and cables. It appears the issue is in the projector and not dependent on the source or cable connections. The vertical lines appear on the projector start up screen even before any source is turned on. When testing the sources and cable connections, the vertical lines continued to appear on all sources and connections tested. The projector has 1100 hours on it and was working fine.

I called Toshiba and all they could suggest was to turn on and off, unplug and replug, and finally to reset to factory default settings. I performed all three suggestions with no success.

Does anyone know what may have caused this and how I can fix it?
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Are all the sources going in analog? I have seen that before with the A to D converter being misaligned.

Jim Burns

cheap does not mean value
post #3 of 15 Old 10-16-2007, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, the input sources are all analog. The projector has been functioning fine for 2 years with the same sources primarily component to a receiver with a standard Def DVD player. Then, I turned on the project yesterday and the black lines suddenly appeared for the first time. ??? If it is due to the A to D switching, and idea why this is now occurring and how I can fix it? Thanks a lot!
post #4 of 15 Old 10-16-2007, 06:16 PM

Mine started doing the same thing - that's what I came here to find an answer to. It's in the projectors electronics and is not input related. The issue started out lasting 30 seconds or less and now will last for 30 minutes or longer. When I let it run that way for 10 minutes or so then power down for a minute or two the lines go away when I fire it back up - but I fear that at some point they won't. Infocus has an exchange program. Send it in with your invoice and pay $100 and they ship an new one to you - for units that are less than 2 years old. Mine was 26 months old when I called them and the guy there suggested I try eBay.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

I do not have enough knowledge of that product to give you a good answer on how to fix the A to D. I will probably have to go to a service center to be fixed as stated above.

Jim Burns

post #6 of 15 Old 10-17-2007, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

THX1138Matt - You know exactly what I'm experiencing and have diagnosed it to projector electronics not inupts too. I will try your suggestion to run for 10 min then power off and power back on. I will post my results. My projector is about as old as yours so it is not under warranty. Thank you for posting.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

The A to D (aka ADC Analog to Digital Converter) is in the projector.

Jim Burns

post #8 of 15 Old 10-18-2007, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX1138Matt View Post

Mine started doing the same thing - that's what I came here to find an answer to. It's in the projectors electronics and is not input related. The issue started out lasting 30 seconds or less and now will last for 30 minutes or longer. When I let it run that way for 10 minutes or so then power down for a minute or two the lines go away when I fire it back up - but I fear that at some point they won't. Infocus has an exchange program. Send it in with your invoice and pay $100 and they ship an new one to you - for units that are less than 2 years old. Mine was 26 months old when I called them and the guy there suggested I try eBay.

I ran the projector for 10 min then powered off and powered back on. Unfortunately, I did not experience any improvements. I'm still pondering my next course of action. Thanks.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-20-2007, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtech View Post

I ran the projector for 10 min then powered off and powered back on. Unfortunately, I did not experience any improvements. I'm still pondering my next course of action. Thanks.

Short Term Fix Found: The black vertical line problem appears to be related to parts loosening up in the projector. I turned on the projector, then squeezed the top and bottom of the case and the lines went away! After a few hours the lines reappeared. I squeezed the top and bottom of the case again and the lines went away again! Obviously, this is not a long-term solution and I do not know how long I can get away with the cheap fix. I will probably attempt to tighten up the fit myself before sending to a repair shop. The repair shops will charge $70 to $100 to look at it and then charge me for the actual repair parts and labor cost. I will also have to pay the shipping both ways. If I can get another 6 months out of the temporary fix I'll be happy.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-27-2008, 05:20 PM

I have the same problem..sent it in twice and they fixed it.but it only lasted about 6 months and it started doing it again.sent it back they fixed it again.doing it again.Iguess will throw it away and NEVER buy Infocus again.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-05-2009, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had this problem twice and sent it in to Toshiba both times to have it fixed. It is a problem with the ECA Controller going bad. I guess it is a well known problem with the projectors.

I did a ton of digging and found an ECA Controller on an obscure website. It ran about $900. I was worried that if I had sent it back for warranty work, even if it was covered, it would happen again and I would be screwed. But it has been several years and no problems again (knock on wood).
post #12 of 15 Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 PM

I have a similar issue, but different. A black bar runs horizontally across the bottom quarter of the screen when ceiling mounted. And when it's table mounted the bar is on the upper quarter of the screen. It's as if something is out of alignment and causing part of the image to be cut out. Any ideas what the problem is. Infocus won't help they just say find an authorized repair shop and get ready to pay big $$$. What do they know. Someone here knows the answer - PLEASE HELP? : - /

THANKS!

post #13 of 15 Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 PM

post #14 of 15 Old 05-11-2013, 12:29 PM

Liked: 11
If squeezing helps, according to Optima forums, there is oxidation between the DLP chip and the edge connector. I squeeze my Toshiba, and the lines do go away. So is there a video on how to deoxidize the contacts for a InFocus 7205/Toshiba TDP MT 800? Also, when I replaced my lamp last time, I did notice oxidation on the interior metal lamp/chip cowl.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-12-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz77 View Post

If squeezing helps, according to Optima forums, there is oxidation between the DLP chip and the edge connector. I squeeze my Toshiba, and the lines do go away. So is there a video on how to deoxidize the contacts for a InFocus 7205/Toshiba TDP MT 800? Also, when I replaced my lamp last time, I did notice oxidation on the interior metal lamp/chip cowl.

I found no oxidation on the chip or contacts, simply a warped PCB board that keep the contacts from touching.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP