post #451 of 1584 Old 08-25-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

Mark... did you ever try running directly to the PJ bypassing the Yammy altogether? Did you ever try feeding it a signal from Sat or Cable TV? Did it then also exhibit the same problem? Did you try feeding it through anything other than HDMI? Did it then also exhibit the same problem? If it is yes to all of these then I would definitely concur that its almost certainly the projector causing the problem. If any one of those items caused the problem to dissappear then I would highly suspect the equipment or set-up still. Bottomline here is if you still have the problem with the 'new' projector (make sure the box arrives factory sealed) then I would highly suspect equipment or set up and have some plan to positively eliminate each component in-line and in order from source to pj. BTW, Panasonics are good pjs too... I've owned one in the past and was quite happy with it... in both performance and quality.

monomer - you missed my last post? All my sources (inc. HDTV) were fed both through the Yammy and then disconnected and individually connected DIRECTLY to PJ. Different lengths and brands of HDMi cables were used, and my DVD player was also tested with component video, and all exhibited the SAME PROBLEM. The only possibility now is a faulty PJ.
As for Panasonic, dont get me started! 2 AX100s and 3 power supply/iris changes for me, and HUGE number of unhappy customers worldwide does not a good PJ make!

MY HT BUILD BLOG

http://www.soundadvice.net.au/MarkH

MY THEATRE ROOM, LIVING ROOM and BEDROOM SYSTEMS THREAD

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1105927
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1584 Old 08-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Any new info guys? I have checked all other sources, cables, etc. and no help as projector still exhibits the problem. I am currently in talks with my seller to see if I can get a new one.
post #453 of 1584 Old 08-26-2008, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Cant help you Darth Im afraid.
With regard to my case, Hivizone have now received my PJ and claiming it is not exhibiting the problem. I have gone to great lengths to explain to them all the measures taken to isolate the problem - even so far as to hook it up in work with a Samsung BP-1500 player and of course different cables, power etc etc. but I fear the language barrier may be a problem. I dont feel they are qualified to know what to look for, but I will have to insist on a replacement otherwise my money back. Even as a goodwill gesture I have purchased a spare lamp from them. We'll see how this pans out today.

MY HT BUILD BLOG

post #454 of 1584 Old 08-27-2008, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Monomer, just tried your recommended settings and it made it worse, even worse looking as anything with black showed it now rather than only really dark scenes since I crush blacks to try and hide it as best I can.
post #455 of 1584 Old 08-27-2008, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi. Tried thoese settings as well with the same problem. I spent a bit more time over the weekend tweaking with those settings as a starting point. I thought I had it looking a little better....Then I watched "Crash" on DVD via my Blu Ray player. It is filled with quite a few dark scenese. Unfoturnately, the issue was back and very noticable. Swithched over to the SD-DVD player and unfotunately it wasn't any better. My wife even commented on it....which is not good when after convincing her we needed a $3K+ projector upgrade. At this point I'm waiting on a response from Jason @ AVS on getting the unit replaced. It should not look this bad brand new.

I don't really like talking about my flair

Chromebox W/ XBMC For Sale
RTI T4 Remote For Sale:
post #456 of 1584 Old 08-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

Hi. It should not look this bad brand new.

It should not look like this period, regardless how old.
post #457 of 1584 Old 08-27-2008, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At this point I'm waiting on a response from Jason @ AVS on getting the unit replaced. It should not look this bad brand new.

Id be interested to hear what the response is to the problem, and specifically what the problem actually is. Im still waiting to hear back from Hivizone regarding whats happening. They didnt reply at all yesterday which leaves me hopeful they have read and understood my last long email to them and are simply waiting for a replacement unit. I will not be happy if they try and return this unit to me, especially after as a goodwill act I bought another lamp off them as a spare! Maybe I might hve to go for the JVC?

MY HT BUILD BLOG

post #458 of 1584 Old 08-28-2008, 06:28 AM

Here we go...
Customer mounted cables and outlet 20 feet from screen. What is the biggest screen I can get that will have a bright sharp picture assuming throw is 20 feet?
Room is light tan and screen will be Stewart Luxus Deluxe in Fire Hawk G3 material.
post #459 of 1584 Old 08-31-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_onyschak View Post

Here we go...
Customer mounted cables and outlet 20 feet from screen. What is the biggest screen I can get that will have a bright sharp picture assuming throw is 20 feet?
Room is light tan and screen will be Stewart Luxus Deluxe in Fire Hawk G3 material.

After a quick 'consultation' with the pj calc over at PJcentral it comes up with at least a 1.8 gain screen to obtain 12-13ftL on a 120" screen at 20-feet.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #460 of 1584 Old 08-31-2008, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

My replacement unit should arrive today. I'll naturally put it through its paces and make sure it doesnt suffer the same fate.

MY HT BUILD BLOG

post #461 of 1584 Old 09-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

I'm eagerly awaiting your findings with the new one. Is it now a holiday over there? It's Labor Day here Monday so mail services don't run.
post #462 of 1584 Old 09-01-2008, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

I'm eagerly awaiting your findings with the new one. Is it now a holiday over there? It's Labor Day here Monday so mail services don't run.

No, normal day here Im afraid (bloody work!)

Well the replacement has arrived and been put through its paces, and despite a replacement receiver, new HDMI cables, and cables running direct to the PJ, the unit exhibits ths same problem as the last one. I have tried power from different points. I have tried the unit on a table and on the roof, still no joy. I can only assume one of two things:-

The unit is also faulty (although whats the chances).

Or my eyes are prone to this phenomena.

I might add this is straight out of the box, with no adjustments whatsoever.
I have no choice but to live with this issue. The unit still puts out a fabulous picture, but I will need to drop brightness down to around 42 (50 is the default and considered the ideal setting) to eliminate the problem., potentially losing some fine image detail in dark scenes. Disappointed to say the least, and had I known this would have the same issues, I wouldve coughed up the extra (reluctantly) and bought the JVC.

MY HT BUILD BLOG

post #463 of 1584 Old 09-01-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's a thought...
Be VERY SPECIFIC about which movies and the exact location of the problem in the scene. What I mean is give the movie and version (like the ISBN number) and the exact time (hour:minute:second) into the movie and then a complete description (or screen capture) of what you are seeing. Then others can verify if the problem is actually the projector or in the actual movie itself. Post all this in another thread with a general title so that people with other brands and models of projectors can help you verify if its the projector or not. I got this idea the other night after watching House of Wax, in which several dark scenes looked like what's been posted in this thread as the pj's 'problem' but to me it was obvious it was in the film as it only appeared in certain scenes with the same camera and angle... I believe it had to be done to get the exact details in the other lit areas of the picture. I verified this on our TV upstairs, so I know it wasn't the projector PLUS the Sony showed great blacks and darker greys within some of those same scenes. I thought about it and began to wonder if that isn't what you are really seeing and thinking its the pj at fault. Have you tried watching those same scenes on another pj or TV?

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #464 of 1584 Old 09-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Hmmm, that is no good at all that the new one has it as well. Monomer, I told you about where to look on MUMMY and you said you didn't see it but I do on mine. One of the worst examples is Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix. Those are the 2 movies I have seen it the worst with. I had wondered about your theory as well but why haven't I noticed it before my other projectors on the same movies?
post #465 of 1584 Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's a thought...
Be VERY SPECIFIC about which movies and the exact location of the problem in the scene. What I mean is give the movie and version (like the ISBN number) and the exact time (hour:minute:second) into the movie and then a complete description (or screen capture) of what you are seeing. Then others can verify if the problem is actually the projector or in the actual movie itself. Post all this in another thread with a general title so that people with other brands and models of projectors can help you verify if its the projector or not. I got this idea the other night after watching House of Wax, in which several dark scenes looked like what's been posted in this thread as the pj's 'problem' but to me it was obvious it was in the film as it only appeared in certain scenes with the same camera and angle... I believe it had to be done to get the exact details in the other lit areas of the picture. I verified this on our TV upstairs, so I know it wasn't the projector PLUS the Sony showed great blacks and darker greys within some of those same scenes. I thought about it and began to wonder if that isn't what you are really seeing and thinking its the pj at fault. Have you tried watching those same scenes on another pj or TV?

For the sake of satisfaction and completeness I will do that in the next couple of days. However both movies Ive become very familar with (Zodiac on HD-DVD and No Country on BR) do not exhibit this problem when viewed on my Loewe LCD, and thats using 6m of HDMI and 28m of dual-CAT5 to get the same picture!
What I will try tonight is power directly from the power box outside (via extension cable) just in case the problem lies there, somehow.

MY HT BUILD BLOG

post #466 of 1584 Old 09-02-2008, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is the scene that looks the worst to me. Perhaps someone that doesn't have any issues could take a look at the scene and report back.

The DVD is The Fifth Element Superbit. Very beginning of Ch. 21. Time 1:27:20 as the curtain opens from behind. Both sides of the the curtain and the "Diva" are filled with blue/purple blotches instead of being completely black. This is with a Contrast of 85 and a Brightness of 48. Does anyone else see this in the DVD?? I can get it completely black, but only by lowering the brighntess to less than 40. As noted, I have made no changes to any service menu settings. Can someone take a look at report back??

RTI T4 Remote For Sale:
post #467 of 1584 Old 09-02-2008, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post

...The unit still puts out a fabulous picture, but I will need to drop brightness down to around 42 (50 is the default and considered the ideal setting) to eliminate the problem., potentially losing some fine image detail in dark scenes...

It is considered best practice to perform grayscale calibration with the default settings, Brightness 50 and Contrast 80. Once you have a flat d65 grayscale, you can then adjust B/C for your environment which may require lowering B and raising C.
post #468 of 1584 Old 09-03-2008, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is the scene that looks the worst to me. Perhaps someone that doesn't have any issues could take a look at the scene and report back.

The DVD is The Fifth Element Superbit. Very beginning of Ch. 21. Time 1:27:20 as the curtain opens from behind. Both sides of the the curtain and the "Diva" are filled with blue/purple blotches instead of being completely black. Can someone take a look at report back??

Hi barhoram,
I check that scene on my BluRay disc and suprisingly for me at default settings it was perfect. In fact I scanned through the entire movie and couldnt find the issue Im having.
Will do my extensive testing on Friday as I didnt have time last night.

MY HT BUILD BLOG

post #469 of 1584 Old 09-03-2008, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you (or someone else) try it on Standard Def DVD?? I don't have the Blu-Ray to compare it to.

RTI T4 Remote For Sale:
post #470 of 1584 Old 09-03-2008, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you (or someone else) try it on Standard Def DVD?? I don't have the Blu-Ray to compare it to.

I will check it out tonight (but I dont have the Superbit - just the regular DVD version). However based on your experience with it I was expecting the same problem with the BR version, which turned out to not have any problems.
will report back tomorrow.

MY HT BUILD BLOG

post #471 of 1584 Old 09-05-2008, 09:29 AM

Hi Monomer,

I really need your help please!

I am unable to connect my PC to VW-60 (want to use Image Director 3 to adjust gama). Initiatlly I tried via USB / RS232 cable Laptop but failed. Finally got a desk top from my friend with RS-232 9 pin - but was unable to use standard RS 232 cable.

Tried to find the Null Modem Cable, but now very very confused as there are a number of pin combinations for this kind of cable. Not sure which one will work? Listing down the 4 options available - Can you pls tell me which one to get:

OPTION 1:
Simple RS232 null modem without handshaking (Null modem explanation)
Connector 1 Connector 2 Function
2 3 Rx <- Tx
3 2 Tx -> Rx
5 5 Signal ground

OPTION 2:
RS232 null modem with loop back handshaking (Null modem explanation)

2 3 Rx Tx
3 2 Tx Rx
5 5 Signal ground
1 + 4 + 6 - DTR -> CD + DSR
- 1 + 4 + 6 DTR -> CD + DSR
7 + 8 - RTS -> CTS
- 7 + 8 RTS -> CTS

OPTION 3
RS232 null modem with partial handshaking (Null modem explanation
1 7 + 8 RTS2 -> CTS2 + CD1
2 3 Rx <- Tx
3 2 Tx -> Rx
4 6 DTR -> DSR
5 5 Signal ground
6 4 DSR <- DTR
7 + 8 1 RTS1-> CTS1 + CD2

OPTION 4
RS232 null modem with full handshaking (Null modem explanation)
2 3 Rx <- Tx
3 2 Tx -> Rx
4 6 DTR -> DSR
5 5 Signal ground
6 4 DSR <- DTR
7 8 RTS -> CTS
8 7 CTS <- RTS

Thank you so very much for your help. Alomst gave up on this till I saw your post.
Best Regards
Nads
post #472 of 1584 Old 09-05-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Got mine working with a null modem adapter from radio shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-buy-the...i-2062210.html

I'm not using the image director, but controlling it via that port.

RTI T4 Remote For Sale:
post #473 of 1584 Old 09-05-2008, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Nads... can't get to it right this minute but if I remember correctly you can use HELP within ImageDirector and find the correct pin-out for the null-modem cable. I didn't even realize there were alternate possibilities (so you see, you know even more about this than I do)... I just got on eBay and did a search for 'null-modem serial cable' and purchased one for a few bucks... they are really cheap items. The only thing I really had to pay attention to was the gender of the connectors (I think M-F) because many of the null-modem cables were designed for a specific use (many were for cable boxes I believe).

If you still can't determine which cable you need I will do a search for you later on today and post what it is you need. BTW, ImageDirector is really the way to go when setting custom gamma curves (actually its the only way you can do this!)... you WILL be pleased in the end.

Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #474 of 1584 Old 09-06-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a copy of just the older SD DVD (not Superbit) and went to the diva scene. I watch the curtains open several times and everything looked normal though the back of the curtain is NOT black, nor is it suppose to be... to be sure, it is a very dark grey but nevertheless a lighter grey than the back of the diva. Then I paused it and walked up real close to the screen... yes, upon close inspection I can barely make out there is indeed some type of 'splotching?' but it is quite obvious to me it is something inherent to the movie. Even the diva's back has this patterned but its extremely hard to make out. So I next tried playing with some pj option settings attempting to exaggerate the 'splotching'... surprisingly it was kinda hard to do. Mainly adjusting gamma down (from ~2.1 to ~1.9) did the most to reveal the 'splotching'... I believe if I could get it down to around 1.8 or so it might start looking like the pic you posted.

So bottomline here I believe is... the movie itself is the source of the 'splotches' but its not noticeable without some effort and to get it to look like the pic you posted a page ago I would have to do some major tweaking which I wasn't in the mood to do last night. I suggest at this point probably your gamma is way off... so the first thing I would advise you to do is check and verify greyscale in HCFR and see what your gamma is really reading. If it is as I suspect, I would then suggest you attempt to tweak it with ImageDirector into a more normal range. I say all this assuming you didn't fudge with settings in the service menu. BTW, my brightness setting is 51 and my contrast 95 and I currently am using a custom gamma curve (I created using ImageDirector) that starts around 2.0 @ 10IRE increases to 2.2 @ 40IRE and flattens out to ~2.3 above 60IRE... however I might suggest you shoot for a simple flat 2.1 gamma for the time being. Interesting though as in factory default gamma 3 (with brightness 50 and contrast 90) should get you around a 2.3 gamma (and gamma 1 would be ~2.0) unless some other gamma curve was saved in its place earlier (through ImageDirector) then in which case there is no factory reset to obtain the original gamma curves. So if the original gamma curves were not changed then its strange you'd have such a low gamma to begin with. If you don't have a colorimeter (an i1 for example) and software (HCFR is an example) then I'm not really sure how you can verify what your gamma is at currently... you may have to resort to a professional calibrator or the cheaper option of sending it to Sony under warrantly to get it 'fixed'.

Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #475 of 1584 Old 09-06-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Can you (or someone else) try it on Standard Def DVD?? I don't have the Blue-Ray to compare it to.

I have done the comparison between my copies of the DVD and Blue Ray
using the same scene you mention. The DVD has the distortions the Blue Ray
does not. The problem is not in your Projector or DVD player.

Richard

Richard Kern
post #476 of 1584 Old 09-06-2008, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know if the VW60 will be a current model through the 2008-2009 model year, or if it is being phased out in favor of the two new models (VW70, HW10)?
post #477 of 1584 Old 09-07-2008, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a copy of just the older SD DVD (not Superbit) and went to the diva scene. I watch the curtains open several times and everything looked normal though the back of the curtain is NOT black, nor is it suppose to be... to be sure, it is a very dark grey but nevertheless a lighter grey than the back of the diva. Then I paused it and walked up real close to the screen... yes, upon close inspection I can bearly see there is some type of 'splotching?' but it is quite obvious to me it is something inherent to the movie. Even the diva's back has this patterned but its extremely hard to make out. So I next tried playing with some pj option settings attempting to exaggerate the 'splotching'... surprisingly it was kinda hard to do. Mainly adjusting gamma down (from ~2.1 to ~1.9) did the most to reveal the 'splotching'... I believe if I could get it down to around 1.8 or so it might start looking like the pic you posted.

So bottomline here I believe is... the movie itself is the source of the 'splotches' but its not noticeable without some effort and to get it to look like the pic you posted a page ago I would have to do some major tweaking which I wasn't in the mood to do last night. I suggest at this point probably your gamma is way off... so the first thing I would advise you to do is check and verify greyscale in HCFR and see what your gamma is really reading. If it is as I suspect, I would then suggest you attempt to tweak it with ImageDirector into a more normal range. I say all this assuming you didn't fudge with settings in the service menu. BTW, my brightness setting is 51 and my contrast 95 and I currently am using a custom gamma (I created using ImageDirector) that starts around 2.0 @ 10IRE increases to 2.2 @ 40IRE and flattens out to ~2.3 above 60IRE... however I might suggest you shoot for a 2.1 gamma for the time being. Interesting though as in factory default gamma 3 (with brightness 50 and contrast 90) should get you around a 2.3 gamma (and gamma 1 would be ~2.0) unless some other gamma curve was saved in its place (through ImageDirector) then in which case there is no factory reset to obtain the original gamma curves. If you don't have a colorimeter (an i1 for example) and software (HCFR is an example) then I'm not really sure how you can verify what your gamma is at currently... you may have to resort to a professional calibrator or the cheaper option of sending it to Sony under warrantly to get it 'fixed'.

barhoram mentioned his unit came calibrated from this very forum, and verified he did not touch the service menu. I myself have not checked the Fifth Element DVD but will do so tonight, of course as my replacement projector has the same issue as before how can I prove otherwise? If Sony had made using Image Director 3 easier (i.e a bloody USB connection for one!) then I wouldnt be so annoyed. The fact remains that on one one hand I will be happy if the issue some of us are seeing is purely gamma related and can be fixed by ourselves. On the other side I am incredibly annoyed and disappointed in Sony for releasing these units with such such "poor"gamma out of the box. Surely somebody gets paid to check these units prior to final packing/shipping?
trust me monomer when I say this - if you had the same problem we have you would not be as cool and collected as you currently are!
As an update I borrowed the DTS Demo BR disc from work, and noticed the same problem on the BT music video sample. A little bit noticeable on the Pixies too, but I put that down to the digial video cameras used in recording that clip. If I get a chance this week I will go through my 150+ HDM collection and post pictures of all movies that exhibit the problem. Lets see if we can blame the discs then.

MY HT BUILD BLOG

post #478 of 1584 Old 09-07-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

MarkH... keep in mind I seem to be the only one attempting to help solve a problem only two of you seem to be experiencing. I'm also attempting to do this from a distance (I would love to get a 'hands-on' attempt at solving your pj troubles) and so only have your assurances of things... thus I'm assuming there are no mismatches with blacker-than-black settings between your pieces of equipment, etc. Asking questions and making suggestions, that's all I can do. If you say everything else has been throughly checked and eliminated then I've got to assume that is so but on the other hand you are experiencing a problem that others (except barhoram) are not. Either you got two VW-60s in a row that have the exact same problem or you are doing something wrong in your set up. In barhoram's case I think I've determined that the splotching is NOT being created by his pj, rather it is inherent in the source material but it is being visually exaggerated for some reason. PJ settings (user and/or service menu)? a component setting mismatch (such as an "Enhanced" option turned ON, for example)? other equipment malfunction (including cables)? I think all possibilities need to be looked at again as something may well have been overlooked... I mean, what other choices are there really? I do NOT have this problem and I suspect most other VW-60 owners also do NOT as well, otherwise they would have sought this thread out to complain in... looking at the number of 'views' this thread gets you'd think there would be dozens of owners complaining... however that's not the case. So logic tells me to advise both of you to compare notes and begin to look at your PJ settings and the settings in your other equipment. Bottomline here is your situation with this Sony PJ is NOT normal, you can attempt to solve it or return it and try some other PJ... but remember if your problem lays elsewhere, then another brand or model of PJ is not necessarily going to solve the problem.

I'm willing to help in whatever way I can but if my help is not wanted just say so and I will cease making any more suggestions. I mean, I've been very pleased with the performance of my VW-60 and I would like everyone else to be experiencing the same thing... it really is a fine projector with even greater potential... but even right out of the box it should be looking pretty darn good and not be displaying exaggerated splotching in dark areas.

Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #479 of 1584 Old 09-07-2008, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post

barhoram mentioned his unit came calibrated from this very forum, and verified he did not touch the service menu. I myself have not checked the Fifth Element DVD but will do so tonight, of course as my replacement projector has the same issue as before how can I prove otherwise? If Sony had made using Image Director 3 easier (i.e a bloody USB connection for one!) then I wouldnt be so annoyed. The fact remains that on one one hand I will be happy if the issue some of us are seeing is purely gamma related and can be fixed by ourselves. On the other side I am incredibly annoyed and disappointed in Sony for releasing these units with such such "poor"gamma out of the box. Surely somebody gets paid to check these units prior to final packing/shipping?
trust me monomer when I say this - if you had the same problem we have you would not be as cool and collected as you currently are!
As an update I borrowed the DTS Demo BR disc from work, and noticed the same problem on the BT music video sample. A little bit noticeable on the Pixies too, but I put that down to the digial video cameras used in recording that clip. If I get a chance this week I will go through my 150+ HDM collection and post pictures of all movies that exhibit the problem. Lets see if we can blame the discs then.

What screen are you using? That's the only remaining variable.

To summarize:
- Calibrated by AVS
- You haven't touched any other setting or service menu items
- You've connected directly from the source, removing any other video processing
- You've tried different HDMI cables
- The picture on two projectors is the same, with unacceptable blotching

Is that all accurate? If so, the only variable that I can fathom is the screen.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #480 of 1584 Old 09-07-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

What screen are you using? That's the only remaining variable.

To summarize:
- Calibrated by AVS
- You haven't touched any other setting or service menu items
- You've connected directly from the source, removing any other video processing
- You've tried different HDMI cables
- The picture on two projectors is the same, with unacceptable blotching

Is that all accurate? If so, the only variable that I can fathom is the screen.

I was referring to another member (borhoram) with regards to his new unit being AVS calibrated and exhibiting the same problem Im seeing. It seems however that those who cannot see this phenomena or dont have it on their units are happy to discount its existence. Not sure if youve read the last few pages but let me repeat my troubleshooting procedures for the nth time;-

Tried movies using my Toshiba XE1 HD-DVD (DVD and HD-DVD).
Tried movies using my PS3 (BR and DVD).
Tried TV via my Beyonwiz HD PVR.

All above units connected via HDMI through a Yamaha RXV3800, and then also direct to the VW60.
HDMI cables replaced with different lengths and brands. Toshiba and a standard DVD player also tested via component.
Power taken from different powerpoint in other part of house. Tested running through a Belkin PF40 power station. Tested running direct from fuse box.

The screen is an Elite Screens 92' fixed screen. It is NOT the problem, as Pj has been taken down and tested on a bare white wall. Alos, I have various screen samples from three different reputable manufacturers here in Australia and problem still exists.

And finally unit has been replaced New unit exhibits the same problems.
Its obvious there is definately some sort of image processing defect with the Sony - it may however be attributable to a "bad batch". I am going to try a DVDO processor (VP20) over the next few days and see if that has any influence.

MY HT BUILD BLOG

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw60 Home Cinema Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page