Sony VPL-VW60 Tweakers Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1581 Old 04-10-2011, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
why am I on my 4th lamp???

My Sony VW60 is 3 years old, my first bulb lasted about 1500 hrs, 2nd one popped after 500 hrs and 3rd one gone after 960hrs. Is there something wrong with my projector? I use the lamp on high .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1581 Old 04-10-2011, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Rev....

I would ask:

- how is your ventilation?
- do you have short duration shut down & restarts?
- on average, how many times a day/week to you turn your projector on/off?
- where did you buy your lamps?

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #1353 of 1581 Old 04-11-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Rev....

I would ask:

- how is your ventilation?
- do you have short duration shut down & restarts?
- on average, how many times a day/week to you turn your projector on/off?
- where did you buy your lamps?

Ventilation is very good.
No, I start like at 7:00 pm and shut it down at 10:00 pm .
Once a day .
I bought my last 2 from on line (different people each time), ordered my last one from Amozon that is suppose to be here today or tomorrow.
post #1354 of 1581 Old 04-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Having a hard time getting image director to connect. I am running windows 7 on my laptop. I have no serial ports so I got one of those USB to serial adapter cables. Hooked a null modem cable from projector to adapter cable. Powered on pc then projector. Waited for startup sequence to finish and then started image director 3. Com settings all match up and ID 3 even displays my projector model number in bottom corner (vpl-vw70) but the send and receive buttons are grayed out so I can't actually send or receive gamma curves. What am I missing?
post #1355 of 1581 Old 04-11-2011, 04:34 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
Having a hard time getting image director to connect. I am running windows 7 on my laptop. I have no serial ports so I got one of those USB to serial adapter cables. Hooked a null modem cable from projector to adapter cable. Powered on pc then projector. Waited for startup sequence to finish and then started image director 3. Com settings all match up and ID 3 even displays my projector model number in bottom corner (vpl-vw70) but the send and receive buttons are grayed out so I can't actually send or receive gamma curves. What am I missing?
I have read the USB adapters dont work. You may need a PCMCIA or Express card with a serial port. I used an Express card with windows 7 worked great on my VW60.
post #1356 of 1581 Old 04-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Well crap, that's what I was hoping to avoid. Hopefully I can take that $40 cable back to radio shack.
post #1357 of 1581 Old 04-11-2011, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Not sure if anyone else has tried this software, but I use it for another device which doesnt support uPNP, and if it doesnt, no harm anyway.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

What I found was though, that I had to "find" which COM port lined up with the USB port, i.e. the USB port I plugged in to might be COM8 (for example). It is possible within the control panel to reassign the USB to a different COM port if ID doesnt support high COM numbers (been a long time since I used it, I cant remember).
post #1358 of 1581 Old 04-12-2011, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think I'm tired of screwing around. I'm having Chuck Williams come in and calibrate mine. I've used his service before, with top notch results.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #1359 of 1581 Old 04-13-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I want to order one of 3D VIP's products soon to try out active shutter 3D on my VW60.
post #1360 of 1581 Old 04-13-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is that not going to have a huge flicker problem at 30 hz ?
post #1361 of 1581 Old 04-13-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know but some people say it's ok. I have yet to see it. I think it would be fun to try it though.
post #1362 of 1581 Old 04-14-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revm1m View Post

why am I on my 4th lamp???

My Sony VW60 is 3 years old, my first bulb lasted about 1500 hrs, 2nd one popped after 500 hrs and 3rd one gone after 960hrs. Is there something wrong with my projector? I use the lamp on high .

Hi,

I know there has been previous discussion on this topic. Have you been using official Sony replacement lamps. There is clearly a difference in build quality and QC between the generic $150-200 lamps and the Sony $275-350 lamps. If you are using the Sony lamps, you may have some luck with their warranty service. If you are not, try it next time.(If you are willing to buy another lamp at this point!)
post #1363 of 1581 Old 04-16-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

Is that not going to have a huge flicker problem at 30 hz ?

There is a chance it would be 48Hz not 30.

I found this info....

Like the VPL-VW50, the VW60 changes its refresh rate to 96Hz and employs a "4:4 pulldown" (each frame is repeated four times) when you give it a 1080p/24 signal. I love this feature. This removes the odd judder inherent in all 24-frame-per-second content when displayed at 60Hz (thanks to 3:2 pulldown). The result is a smoother image, but without the overly smooth, artificial look that can occur when a display interpolates frames (which some 120Hz displays are now doing).

I don't know if that applies to 3D Blu Rays and if the 3D-VIP stuff can offer 48 Hz to each eye but if so I bet that would be pretty dern useable.

I've seen 50Hz (in Europe) and the flicker is not a problem. Of course,... I haven't got a chance to check out the 3D VIP stuff so I really don't know but I'm very, very, interested to try it.

-Brian
post #1364 of 1581 Old 04-16-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

Well crap, that's what I was hoping to avoid. Hopefully I can take that $40 cable back to radio shack.

Certainly take the $40 cable back to RS.

I got a 20 foot cable for under $10 from MonoPrice.

I love Image Director by the way,... very useful for calibration.
post #1365 of 1581 Old 04-16-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXscreen View Post

Hi,

I know there has been previous discussion on this topic. Have you been using official Sony replacement lamps. There is clearly a difference in build quality and QC between the generic $150-200 lamps and the Sony $275-350 lamps. If you are using the Sony lamps, you may have some luck with their warranty service. If you are not, try it next time.(If you are willing to buy another lamp at this point!)

Well,... The "Sony" lamps are really "Phillips" lamps and I bought 3 of them from Ebay for ~$67/each.
post #1366 of 1581 Old 04-16-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

What is the phillis model number?
post #1367 of 1581 Old 04-16-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

I don't know if that applies to 3D Blu Rays and if the 3D-VIP stuff can offer 48 Hz to each eye but if so I bet that would be pretty dern useable.

I've seen 50Hz (in Europe) and the flicker is not a problem. Of course,... I haven't got a chance to check out the 3D VIP stuff so I really don't know but I'm very, very, interested to try it.

-Brian

Interesting.
post #1368 of 1581 Old 04-16-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXscreen View Post

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

No I didn't get it from Sony, I have bought from 3 different web sites. Last one was from Amazon, so hopefully this one would last more 1000 hrs, otherwise next time I will get it from Sony.
post #1369 of 1581 Old 04-16-2011, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Certainly take the $40 cable back to RS.

I got a 20 foot cable for under $10 from MonoPrice.

I love Image Director by the way,... very useful for calibration.

I had my Black Pearl calibrated by Chuck Williams today. He turned off the Iris and RCP, hooked the projector up to his computer, Eye One, and signal generator, and proceeded to dial in a stunning picture. He's two for two with my business.

Though we couldn't get Image Director to load on either his Windows Seven or my Vista laptops. The Read Me files state that it won't work on all computers for some reason. The Install button stays grayed out, without affect when clicked on. My gamma is a little low, but acceptable according to Chuck. I looked around the web to download a copy, without success. Any thoughts?

I'm really pleased with having it properly calibrated. It's the feeling of knowing things are accurate, and dropping all the second guessing I do with my own settings based on my eye with test discs and filters, and settings I grab from forums on the net. Colors are sweet, not over or undersaturated, and even red, which has been trouble for me, looks right. Black levels are very nice, with plenty of detail. Gray scale is perfect.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #1370 of 1581 Old 04-17-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

I used to chat a bit from time to time with Chuck Williams on here back like 10 years ago now. He came for Pizza one night and touched up my CRT FP. It wasn't a full on instrumented calibration.

Anyways,... I have nothing but respect and admiration for CW. If he turned off IRIS and RCP then ... I'm inclined to turn them off as well.

I can tune with RCP but I'm still clumsy with it.

I'm very sorry you had trouble with Image Director. It provides multi-step grey scale adjustments and let's you get great GAMMA and Grey graphs.

Edit- Seems like CW must have only adjusted Grey-scale if he didn't use the RCP or Image Director. I don't know how else he would have adjusted colors apart from using the "Color" and "Hue" settings. I go back and forth with how much I like things like IRIS, RCP and Gamma correction. That's because I love simple. I think all of those adjustments can work for the better.

-Brian
post #1371 of 1581 Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

What is the phillis model number?

LMP-H200

LMP-H201 can also be used.
post #1372 of 1581 Old 04-17-2011, 09:45 AM

I just want to post saying thanks to all who contributed to this thread over the years, providing me with invaluable information on how to get the best out of my VW60.

I've sold my VW60 and bought a new JVC HD 350, so bye to this thread and thanks again to you all, it's been great
post #1373 of 1581 Old 04-17-2011, 01:23 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Well I'm new to the vw60, so I'll say "hi"!

I've been reading about how the big contrast test for a projector with an iris is a scene with dark and light material. I just finished Moon, which has many shots of a brightly lit moon, but also the darkness of space with a star field in the upper half. I thought it did an excellent job.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #1374 of 1581 Old 04-17-2011, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Edit- Seems like CW must have only adjusted Grey-scale if he didn't use the RCP or Image Director. I don't know how else he would have adjusted colors apart from using the "Color" and "Hue" settings. I go back and forth with how much I like things like IRIS, RCP and Gamma correction. That's because I love simple. I think all of those adjustments can work for the better.

-Brian

He worked with all the user settings and set color temperature in Custom 1. Chuck also feels the RCP doesn't work properly, and I noticed Tom Norton said something similar in his review of the Sony VW90 this month in Home Theater magazine. He said Gamma 3, if I recall without turning on the projector, was closest to 2.2 of the three settings, though low, and since we couldn't get Image Director up and running he worked with that. I don't know why the heck we couldn't get the ID install button to function on two different versions of Windows, and that was a little disappointing, but such is life.

What was also interesting is his computer showed Wide color space to be more accurate to work with than Normal, and set it with Wide. I'll be getting his report on email shortly, but it all looked pretty good on his computer screen. More importantly, after about three hours of work, it looks real nice on the 118" screen both with test patterns and with movies. Much better than I've ever been able to get over the last three years, and sweet on the same level that he dialed in on my old 65" CRT Mitsubishi the first time he was here.

See ya. Dave

post #1375 of 1581 Old 04-18-2011, 06:28 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

What was also interesting is his computer showed Wide color space to be more accurate to work with than Normal, and set it with Wide. I'll be getting his report on email shortly, but it all looked pretty good on his computer screen. More importantly, after about three hours of work, it looks real nice on the 118" screen both with test patterns and with movies. Much better than I've ever been able to get over the last three years, and sweet on the same level that he dialed in on my old 65" CRT Mitsubishi the first time he was here.

That is interesting, wide for me was way off. Normal was much closer although red is a bit orange.
post #1376 of 1581 Old 04-18-2011, 06:48 AM

These are the cal settings for my unit, i've since turned the dynamic iris back on, and dropped brightness to 49-50 though. and also attached my Image Director file.

Lamp Control Low
Contrast 96
Brightness 52
Color 52
Hue 50
Color Temp Custom 3
Gain R 0
Gain G -17
Gain B -17
Bias R 0
Bias G -11
Bias B -6
Sharpness 25
Expert Setting
Black Level Adj. Low
Gamma Correction Gamma3 (Adjusted using Image Director)
Advanced Picture
RCP User 1
Red Color 0, Hue 0
Yellow Color 0, Hue 8
Green Color 0, Hue 0
Cyan Color 0, Hue 0
Blue Color 0, Hue 0
Magenta Color 0, Hue 12

Screen
Wide Mode Full
Overscan Off fo

1.zip 2.20703125k . file
post #1377 of 1581 Old 04-18-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

, and since we couldn't get Image Director up and running he worked with that. I don't know why the heck we couldn't get the ID install button to function on two different versions of Windows, and that was a little disappointing, but such is life.

If you're still keen to try ID, the version im running is ID3, and I installed it just now onto my PC off the H/D (didnt have to burn an install disk).
post #1378 of 1581 Old 04-18-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeguy57 View Post

That is interesting, wide for me was way off. Normal was much closer although red is a bit orange.

Red was a real problem for me prior to yesterday's calibration. I was using Normal with my personal work, with the RCP. Chuck turned off the RCP and worked with both Normal and Wide Color space, determining Wide would be what he would use. Red, in particular, is much better now after he finished.

The red flag stripes in the shuttle takeoff scene on HD DVE look RED now....not magenta and not orange.

See ya. Dave

post #1379 of 1581 Old 04-18-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdavep View Post

If you're still keen to try ID, the version im running is ID3, and I installed it just now onto my PC off the H/D (didnt have to burn an install disk).

Is it possible to send the file for ID3 to me? If so, please PM me.

Thanks.

Ooops. Just saw you attached the file with your post above. I'm unable to open the ldt. file. Is there another format you can attach it with?

See ya. Dave

post #1380 of 1581 Old 04-18-2011, 03:03 PM

just shoot me an email address and ill send it through. you can only open the ldt file through Image Director.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw60 Home Cinema Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page