post #181 of 1581 Old 11-12-2007, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Steve,

Go here for how to access the Service Menu:
[But remember, WRITE DOWN ANY SETTINGS BEFORE YOU CHANGE THEM. There is no way to reset factory defaults in the service menu, so don't make changes without (a) knowing what you're changing, and (b) write down your original settings.]

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post12114938

Then go here for the gamma tweak:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post12122363

Enjoy!
Omar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1581 Old 11-12-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I enjoy reading this thread...too bad the original post doesn't have the "latest and greatest" settings. I have to keep searching for OmarF's posts.

Question - did any of you have the VW50 before upgrading to the 60. If so, did you use the same or similar settings on both. I am using OmarF's settings on my VW50 and they look great except I use the high lamp.

I want a Masquerade.
post #183 of 1581 Old 11-12-2007, 09:56 AM

Liked: 10
Omar -- Looks like you've still got the Auto Iris at manual 37%. I recall your trying out Auto 2 and fast rather than the recommended speed. Do you see much of a difference in contrast with the manual iris versus the Auto Iris?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post

Here's the latest and greatest. I must confess, after reading both Joe and Mark (A/Vspec) talk highly about Wide color mode in another thread today, I went back and tried it again. And ya know what? I DO like it better Just some necessary tweaks to keep the red from pushing, but now I have a very, very nice deep "stop sign red" in my color test patterns that I didn't have before, along with more real-world-like hues in the rest of the color spectrum. Sooooo...here it is:

Lamp: Low
Auto Iris: Manual @37%
Color Space: Wide
Contrast: 99
Brightness: 50
Color: 49-50 (still deciding)
Hue: 50
Color Temp: Middle
Sharpness: 0 (0 for BR or HD material. +5 for standard def. upconverted)
Black Level Adjust: Off
Gamma Correction: Gamma 3
(Also applied A/Vspec Mark's Gamma Tweak in the service menu. Works like a charm to bring out detail without sacrificing black levels)

RCP: -6 on Red Color intensity

I also did the color (panel) convergence under the Tools menu. Added a nice little touch of sharpness to the pic. Just enough to be noticeable.

I know several of the settings are stock, but I can't help it...they just cal out that way! I guess Sony's really got this down to a science recipe.

These settings are pretty much "it" for me. I'm in Nirvana whatever disc I'm watching. I can't find a single fault with my image--rich blacks, fine detail, poppy but natural colors, image depth, the look and feel of film, and most of all IMAGE CLARITY and SMOOTHNESS OF MOTION--the two biggies I've been trying to achieve for seven years now with DVD. I remember my initial disappointment in 2000 when I found that VHS and LD--although lower resolution--had smoother, cleaner motion than DVD (being analogue is why), and have been trying to capture that naturalness ever since. Well (laugh!) I think I can finally say I've done that and MUCH more. My Sony BDP S2000ES is just outstanding as a player--much more film-like than the Samsung 1400 I demoed for a bit. Watched Troy on BR tonight and was really impressed with what I saw. I no longer feel any need to go see a movie in the theater.

Hope this helps people! Let me know how they work for you if you try them!
Omar

post #184 of 1581 Old 11-12-2007, 04:17 PM

Liked: 13
First of all, can't say enough about all the sharing going on in this forum! Reminds me of the Bottlehead forum for us tube (audio) users.

Have just finished setting up the VW60 with OmarF's settings on User 1. Excellent for watching DVDs as it gives the darker scenes in Star Wars and LOTR more light allowing more detail. So, far we prefer the Standard setting for our limited OTA HD at this time of the day. Colors are more natural so far. Can someone tell us where to find "Color Mode"?

The best thing about this whole exercise was reading about all the changes posters have been doing with their projectors giving me the courage to plunge into the menus and play around. Obviously, we need a good reference DVD such as Digital Video Essentials which we'll remedy shortly.

And, yes, we need to get us an HD-DVD and Blu-ray player(s) to take full advantage of this projector. However, we happily enjoyed a Nature production and The Amazing Mrs. Pritchard on PBS last night.

It is truly amazing how far digital technology is come in such a short time. And, once again, thank you video nuts on here (I'm known as Hi-Fi Nut on Audio Asylum!) and Jason and Richard at AV Science for making our current enjoyment possible.

Of course, we still have to get a new HDMI compatible AV receiver-will be checking out the Onkyo, joerod! OT for here but joerod do you seeing any problem using the 875 or 905 with 50' of Cableprice 22 gauge?

Under unsettled Puget Sound skies, Gill
post #185 of 1581 Old 11-12-2007, 05:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Not at all. If you do have an issue just use a Gefen EXT HDMI repeater and all will be well.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #186 of 1581 Old 11-12-2007, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Any place in the service menu or other that will show the temperature?

I've got my projector mounted in the wide open, but it's backed against a wall (about 2 inches). The intakes are rounded, so I can't imagine it's really a problem, but I'm wondering if I should move it forward some? I could move it up 9-10 inches, but I'd be pushing ~70% of the zoom, which is higher than I'd like to go (right now around 50-55%).

Any thoughts?

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #187 of 1581 Old 11-13-2007, 12:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Steve,

Go here for how to access the Service Menu:
[But remember, WRITE DOWN ANY SETTINGS BEFORE YOU CHANGE THEM. There is no way to reset factory defaults in the service menu, so don't make changes without (a) knowing what you're changing, and (b) write down your original settings.]

Enjoy!
Omar

Thanks Omar

Could you or someone (maybe Mark)? who has a good level of knowledge post the 7 or so default settings under device just incase me or someone else gets in trouble in the service menu so we know what we can revert to!

Thanks Steve
post #188 of 1581 Old 11-13-2007, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit07 View Post

I enjoy reading this thread...too bad the original post doesn't have the "latest and greatest" settings. I have to keep searching for OmarF's posts.

Question - did any of you have the VW50 before upgrading to the 60. If so, did you use the same or similar settings on both. I am using OmarF's settings on my VW50 and they look great except I use the high lamp.

Never had the 50. Before this had a Runco CL 710.
post #189 of 1581 Old 11-13-2007, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabbas View Post

Omar -- Looks like you've still got the Auto Iris at manual 37%. I recall your trying out Auto 2 and fast rather than the recommended speed. Do you see much of a difference in contrast with the manual iris versus the Auto Iris?

Funny you should ask, Fabbas I was just fooling around with that last night. Will post more on it later after I've spent more time A/B'ing, but I found that Manual@37 (w/ a contrast setting of 99) gives more detail in dark scenes, while Auto 2 (w/a contrast setting of 80--99 seemed to not give it enough headroom to function accurately), gives slightly warmer colors and a touch more black but at the cost of some detail. Will do more A/B'ing tonight and let you know what I find...oh, that may not be until tomorrow, actually.

BTW, I got the new Panny 30k last night and am VERY impressed with it. Everyone looking for/at a B/R player owes it to their self to check it out. So far it's even better than the Sony S2000ES I've been demoing for a week or so. The Panny and the A35 simply put out the best pictures I've ever seen in home theater. The 30k's most outstanding feature is its image integrity, esp. with motion. I see details of expression on moving faces (such as in the opening fight in Underworld) I've never even known were there before, because image integrity remains constant whether objects are moving or not. The Sony and Sammy 1400 were good with this, but the Panny 30k is a cut above like I've never seen outside a theater.
post #190 of 1581 Old 11-13-2007, 03:34 AM
Advanced Member

BTW, I've changed my settings under one section so far, please confirm if you think it looks better or not.

RCP: -6 on red
to
RCP: -6 on red, and -4 on green
post #191 of 1581 Old 11-13-2007, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugetsoundHD View Post

First of all, can't say enough about all the sharing going on in this forum! Reminds me of the Bottlehead forum for us tube (audio) users.

Have just finished setting up the VW60 with OmarF's settings on User 1. Excellent for watching DVDs as it gives the darker scenes in Star Wars and LOTR more light allowing more detail. So, far we prefer the Standard setting for our limited OTA HD at this time of the day. Colors are more natural so far. Can someone tell us where to find "Color Mode"?

The best thing about this whole exercise was reading about all the changes posters have been doing with their projectors giving me the courage to plunge into the menus and play around. Obviously, we need a good reference DVD such as Digital Video Essentials which we'll remedy shortly.

And, yes, we need to get us an HD-DVD and Blu-ray player(s) to take full advantage of this projector. However, we happily enjoyed a Nature production and The Amazing Mrs. Pritchard on PBS last night.

It is truly amazing how far digital technology is come in such a short time. And, once again, thank you video nuts on here (I'm known as Hi-Fi Nut on Audio Asylum!) and Jason and Richard at AV Science for making our current enjoyment possible.

Of course, we still have to get a new HDMI compatible AV receiver-will be checking out the Onkyo, joerod! OT for here but joerod do you seeing any problem using the 875 or 905 with 50' of Cableprice 22 gauge?

Under unsettled Puget Sound skies, Gill

Color Mode is on the very top left on your remote control (if you're looking to switch between Wide and Normal). You can also access it through a secondary menu on the main Menu, and by scrolling through the setting options brought up by the button to the right of the RCP button on your remote.
post #192 of 1581 Old 11-13-2007, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

Any place in the service menu or other that will show the temperature?

I've got my projector mounted in the wide open, but it's backed against a wall (about 2 inches). The intakes are rounded, so I can't imagine it's really a problem, but I'm wondering if I should move it forward some? I could move it up 9-10 inches, but I'd be pushing ~70% of the zoom, which is higher than I'd like to go (right now around 50-55%).

Any thoughts?

I've not seen a temp reading anywhere.
post #193 of 1581 Old 11-13-2007, 05:40 AM

Omar,

What is the Panny 30K? I know it's a Blu-ray player but couldn't find info.
post #194 of 1581 Old 11-13-2007, 06:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

You can read my mini review I just posted in the Blu ray player area...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #195 of 1581 Old 11-13-2007, 11:08 AM

Thanks, OmarF for the heads up on the whereabouts of the "Color Mode". We check it out tonight. Will try your updated RCP settings as well.

A followup on using OmarF's settings for OTA. We have found our local NBS station KING to have the best HD PQ locally when they are broadcasting news from their studio. Checking out the PQ using the new settings now gives us spot on colors where before the reds were oversaturated and tending to the blue side of reality. Will try out his -4 setting on the green RCP tonight.

Of course, as we are finding and really should have known the "best" settings depend on the source just as they do in different music sources.

Having "settings" fun under Puget Sound skies, Gill
post #196 of 1581 Old 11-13-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:

BTW, I've changed my settings under one section so far, please confirm if you think it looks better or not.

to

Hi OmarF,

Think I'm getting in over my head but want to keep trying to understand how to use all the settings on the VW60. Could you explain a bit more about how to use the settings in the RCP menu? Once you get into the menu not only are there a number of color choices to choose from but under each you can adjust "Color" and "Hue". When you refer to your settings are you using the same setting such as -6 on red for both? Are all the other RCP color settings set to "0" except for -4 on green?

So far setting everything to "0" except for the red and green settings has tended to wash out the picture. At this point I'll just go back to the default settings on User 1 and start over but any pointers you can give would be appreciated.

By the way, if the projector loses power do the settings revert to default? A neighbor made a "mistake" today cutting down some trees and we lost power for about 15 min. and the settings I'd set in User 1 seemed to go back to where they were before.

Under clear and cold Puget Sound skies, Gill
post #197 of 1581 Old 11-14-2007, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reio-ta View Post

By changing the value dimension, you're changing what hue needs to be corrected to also.

Could you explain this point a little more? I don't see how changing color would require a change in hue, too.
post #198 of 1581 Old 11-14-2007, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi OmarF,

Think I'm getting in over my head but want to keep trying to understand how to use all the settings on the VW60. Could you explain a bit more about how to use the settings in the RCP menu? Once you get into the menu not only are there a number of color choices to choose from but under each you can adjust "Color" and "Hue". When you refer to your settings are you using the same setting such as -6 on red for both? Are all the other RCP color settings set to "0" except for -4 on green?

So far setting everything to "0" except for the red and green settings has tended to wash out the picture. At this point I'll just go back to the default settings on User 1 and start over but any pointers you can give would be appreciated.

By the way, if the projector loses power do the settings revert to default? A neighbor made a "mistake" today cutting down some trees and we lost power for about 15 min. and the settings I'd set in User 1 seemed to go back to where they were before.

Under clear and cold Puget Sound skies, Gill

Puget,

I'm only changing the Color (saturation) on Red and Green. Make sure color is set to Wide mode. Applying these RCP settings to Normal color mode will certainly give you a washed out look, but for me, in Wide it takes away excess saturation. Wide with RCP settings, Normal without. I don't know what happens if the power goes off...you could always write your settings down, though, just in case.
post #199 of 1581 Old 11-14-2007, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For example, Omar changes red's color value to -6, meaning it was six notches "too high" before. Even if you thought hue was correct before, if it had too much blue, you wouldn't see it very much, which would make red have too much magenta. The HVS can't see blue very well. My guess is Sony takes advantage of this flaw in our vision and by default adds too much blue gain to all colors, in order to make the color temperature higher and improve contrast. With a value of -6 the original shift towards magenta will be easier to see, and without changing blue gain and the hue of red, will make the extra blue gain and bias look worse.

My point was, you can make red bluer and not notice if you increase brightness, and the lighter you make red, the more blue you have to take out before the advantages of more blue for "better contrast" become obvious.

Obviously if you had a colorimeter, there would be no need to guess how much blue you can keep within a bit over one delta error.

What he said.

Omar
post #200 of 1581 Old 11-14-2007, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabbas View Post

Could you explain this point a little more? I don't see how changing color would require a change in hue, too.

Very simply put, in video "Color" does not mean the type of color (the type of color is called "hue", like an orangey-red vs. a brick red are different hues of red), it means the saturation or density of the specific hue. Changing the "Color" doesn't change the specific color you're seeing, only the intensity of it. HOWEVER changing the intensity of a color can have a relative effect with the surrounding colors as described by reio-ta.
post #201 of 1581 Old 11-14-2007, 11:55 AM

i accidentally shut off the power to my vw-60 while it was still turned on...the settings were retained.
post #202 of 1581 Old 11-14-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Very simply put, in video "Color" does not mean the type of color (the type of color is called "hue", like an orangey-red vs. a brick red are different hues of red), it means the saturation or density of the specific hue. Changing the "Color" doesn't change the specific color you're seeing, only the intensity of it. HOWEVER changing the intensity of a color can have a relative effect with the surrounding colors as described by reio-ta.

Okay I get it. Thanks!
post #203 of 1581 Old 11-14-2007, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

to

Should be getting and setting my 60 this weekend - bye Ruby!

Anyhow, is the RCP adjustment in the regular menu or the service menu?

Thanks to all the tweakers!

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #204 of 1581 Old 11-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

RCP is most easily accessible through the RCP button on the remote control They've gone through great trouble to make this as user friendly and configurable as possible. I think they've done a fine job.
post #205 of 1581 Old 11-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Regarding:

1) Auto 2 with contrast 80% vs. Manual at 37% with contrast 99%...Manual is still the winner for me. Auto 2 is a bit darker but I loose detail, which is my preference. Of course I have weak eyes so it might just be me. Try both for yourself and let me know!

2) Panasonic 30k vs. Sony S2000ES....Panasonic all the way. It outstrips every player I've seen. In my eyes, Panasonic 30k and Toshiba A35 are the way to go. Can't miss.

Omar
post #206 of 1581 Old 11-14-2007, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

RCP is most easily accessible through the RCP button on the remote control

Ahh! How tricky of them.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #207 of 1581 Old 11-14-2007, 11:03 PM

Thanks to all for the discussion about RCP. I'm learning and now understand the basics. The best settings we've had so far were the RCP settings that "came with the projector" which Jason may have tweaked when he did the calibration to which we had added OmarF's mods. Unfortunately, when I decided to set User1 back to default it didn't go back to what had been there but this way we get to learn!

And darn you, joerod! You mentioned the Panasonic 30 as did OmarF and someone said that they had found one at CC so today we did some searching around and found one-only one-at one CC. It was in their backroom and upon opening a few minutes ago we found cardboard pop up ads stuck to the top in English with another in French in the box. Looks like we got the display model! And it is playing Spiderman 3 as I type this. What a picture-the additional detail particularly in facial features transforms the movie.

Right now the scene where the "sandman" comes alive is playing and you can see every grain even in the dark areas. Very impressive. My partner, the videophile, thinks the PQ "can't be beat" and he is hard to impress. And everything is so smooth without motion artifacts. Whoops, here comes the beam from the runaway crane. Duck! The sound from the Panny is comparable to the Oppo we were using last week to watch the standard DVD of Spiderman 3 at least at first listen. Both are a far cry from the Phillips player we were using before. Now we can exercise the Focal Electra speaker system.

Well, off to enjoy Blu-ray.

Under disappearing rain Puget Sound skies, Gill
post #208 of 1581 Old 11-15-2007, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did you mess around with Hue and/or the RGB bias/gains in the service menu in order to get rid of the excess too much blue, red or green in all the colors? Thanks.

No. The Gain/Bias, Color/Hue controls in the main menu were more than adequate to get a fine picture. I'm not a pro calibrator and don't have any testing equipment, so other than doing the gamma tweak there's no point for me to use the service menu.
post #209 of 1581 Old 11-15-2007, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks to all for the discussion about RCP. I'm learning and now understand the basics. The best settings we've had so far were the RCP settings that "came with the projector" which Jason may have tweaked when he did the calibration to which we had added OmarF's mods. Unfortunately, when I decided to set User1 back to default it didn't go back to what had been there but this way we get to learn!

And darn you, joerod! You mentioned the Panasonic 30 as did OmarF and someone said that they had found one at CC so today we did some searching around and found one-only one-at one CC. It was in their backroom and upon opening a few minutes ago we found cardboard pop up ads stuck to the top in English with another in French in the box. Looks like we got the display model! And it is playing Spiderman 3 as I type this. What a picture-the additional detail particularly in facial features transforms the movie.

Right now the scene where the "sandman" comes alive is playing and you can see every grain even in the dark areas. Very impressive. My partner, the videophile, thinks the PQ "can't be beat" and he is hard to impress. And everything is so smooth without motion artifacts. Whoops, here comes the beam from the runaway crane. Duck! The sound from the Panny is comparable to the Oppo we were using last week to watch the standard DVD of Spiderman 3 at least at first listen. Both are a far cry from the Phillips player we were using before. Now we can exercise the Focal Electra speaker system.

Well, off to enjoy Blu-ray.

Under disappearing rain Puget Sound skies, Gill

They all have the cardboard popups, mine did too. Humorously, Toshiba does the same thing...one on the machine, one in the box. Perhaps it's part of the new spec
post #210 of 1581 Old 11-15-2007, 03:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

They do it just in case that unit happens to be the display...

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw60 Home Cinema Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page