Viewsonic Pro8100 1080p Projector - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 9243 Old 08-31-2009, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hessel, you're not trying to open the firmware itself on your computer, are you? There's the separate firmware installer which you download and open onto your computer; the firmware itself is never handled directly by Windows, but is just loaded onto the projector through the firmware installer program.

Also, I did my installation using an XP machine, maybe the firmware updater program isn't Vista-compatible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 9243 Old 08-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hey...I did get the firmware installer program downloaded ok. I have an old xp pc I'll drag over and see if i can get it that way.

Thanks for the response.
post #273 of 9243 Old 08-31-2009, 04:02 PM

np...I've had so many driver/installer issues with Vista, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it was. Once it's up and running, it should only take a minute or so to transfer (to answer the question from earlier in the thread...). I hope it works for you.
post #274 of 9243 Old 08-31-2009, 04:02 PM
hkk

I have seen several other programs working fine on XP, but not on Vista. I did the firmware update with a XP SP3 laptop. No problems. Try that.
post #275 of 9243 Old 08-31-2009, 04:11 PM

can firmware be updated using OSX?
post #276 of 9243 Old 08-31-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
J+R is awesome, I ordered it Friday night, it was shipped out today around 2:00pm.....UPS says I will have it tomorrow!!
Of course it helps that Maspeth NY is only 4 hrs from here!!

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
post #277 of 9243 Old 08-31-2009, 05:05 PM
hkk

Ok, I was able to make more adjustments to the PJ. The Gain and Offset that bouda78 posted. And the results look great. Image looks much more crisp, colors very pleasing. Will post some screenshots later.

In the mean time, one other issue. As mentioned before, before of how my PJ and Screen are mounted, I am having to use the vertical lens shift to the full extent (pulling the picture all the way down). That I think might be causing the image to loose some quality, and I am trying to see how I should change that.

Here's a drawing of the room, looking from the side (length view).

It worked fine with my previous Mitsu HC1500 PJ. The top of the screen is about 28in from the roof, and the PJ is hanging about 7.5' from the floor, so the offset (difference between center of the lens and top of the screen about 13in. to reduce that, I either have to bring the PJ down, or raise the screen up.

So, questions
1. Did I setup something wrong here? Does the offset seem too much?

2. From an ergonomic standpoint, is it ok to move the screen up? by how much?

3. I might be able to lower the PJ down only a few inches (of course, with a new extension rod), and still be high enough for 6+ footers not feeling like they are going to hit it. Plus, this thing being a monster makes it's more visible when I enter the room.

Thanks for your suggestions.

btw, the calculator on Projectorcentral doesn't help you with mounting calculations. Is there one that does that?
post #278 of 9243 Old 08-31-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
my understanding is that the pj should be no higher than the top of the screen.

if it were me, i would lower the pj, and just let people go around it. i don't like high up screens. ymmv

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #279 of 9243 Old 08-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkk View Post

Ok, I was able to make more adjustments to the PJ. The Gain and Offset that bouda78 posted. And the results look great. Image looks much more crisp, colors very pleasing. Will post some screenshots later.

In the mean time, one other issue. As mentioned before, before of how my PJ and Screen are mounted, I am having to use the vertical lens shift to the full extent (pulling the picture all the way down). That I think might be causing the image to loose some quality, and I am trying to see how I should change that.

Here's a drawing of the room, looking from the side (length view).

It worked fine with my previous Mitsu HC1500 PJ. The top of the screen is about 28in from the roof, and the PJ is hanging about 7.5' from the floor, so the offset (difference between center of the lens and top of the screen about 13in. to reduce that, I either have to bring the PJ down, or raise the screen up.

So, questions
1. Did I setup something wrong here? Does the offset seem too much?

2. From an ergonomic standpoint, is it ok to move the screen up? by how much?

3. I might be able to lower the PJ down only a few inches (of course, with a new extension rod), and still be high enough for 6+ footers not feeling like they are going to hit it. Plus, this thing being a monster makes it's more visible when I enter the room.

Thanks for your suggestions.

btw, the calculator on Projectorcentral doesn't help you with mounting calculations. Is there one that does that?

You need to drop that projector down. I have a 92" pulldown and 30" above the floor is the highest I'm comfortable with. I'd say 26" would be your limit.

Can you wall mount it? For a 106" screen you can go from 10' 10" to 17' 7" from the front of the lens. Right now my 8100 is only 5 feet off the ground and the lens is 22" from the wall..it's super sturdy with an NPL wall mount here http://www.mountdirect.com/NPL_Proje...nt_p/npl_w.htm

Replace the 12" middle pipe with an extension here http://www.mountdirect.com/NPL_Exten.../npl_ext_v.htm and you can get the pj out pretty far. The extension has a huge hole in the bottom for cable management too.

I'm not crazy about the "quick release" feature but overall it's an incredibly heavy and solid mount, heavier than a lot of pj's actually.
post #280 of 9243 Old 08-31-2009, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

hkk you can install a shelf behind your seating and mount the projector at it , try to center the lens at the center of the screen and youll get optimal result, also the screen bottom frame should be lower by a bit than the end of the chest at your sitting position.
post #281 of 9243 Old 08-31-2009, 07:06 PM

I finally got my Pro8100 setup, my Premier PBL-UMS mount worked fine. I had to move the mount over a bit to a more central position, since the Viewsonic has a center lens while my Epson is offset. First off, after hitting the power button I didn't even realize it was on. This is a very quiet machine, most impressive! The power shift/zoom/focus is awesome, it made setup a snap. No more standing on a ladder, excellent! I used the blu-ray "Kingdom Of Heaven" to do some initial tweaking, after resetting my player to output 1080P. The PJ is plenty bright, I settled on CINEMA, WARM 1, and put the bulb in ECO mode. I played with brightness and contrast by eye, and set edge enhancement to 2. At this point a funny thing happened, I was enjoying the picture so much I forgot about using Avia and tweaking further, and just watched the movie! That's a pretty good endorsement right there, but I certainly plan on going back and really trying to make the image as good as possible with my calibration discs. All in all, I'm very pleased so far with this PJ, it really is a bargain at these blowout prices. Yes, my Epson HC400 will be on the market, the Viewsonic is a keeper!
post #282 of 9243 Old 08-31-2009, 07:42 PM

Hi, i have update the firmware but in the menu i saw 2.1 not 2.51 is normal? He took 4 hrs to update and i saw the complete message at the end..... anyidea?

Thanks for you help!.

Jeff
post #283 of 9243 Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 PM
hkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_majere View Post

Hi, i have update the firmware but in the menu i saw 2.1 not 2.51 is normal? He took 4 hrs to update and i saw the complete message at the end..... anyidea?

Thanks for you help!.

Jeff

2.1 is the firmware version before the upgrade. After the upgrade you should see 2.51. What was going on for 4hrs? It takes only a minute for the upgrade.
post #284 of 9243 Old 08-31-2009, 08:16 PM
hkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasol View Post

You need to drop that projector down. I have a 92" pulldown and 30" above the floor is the highest I'm comfortable with. I'd say 26" would be your limit.

Can you wall mount it? For a 106" screen you can go from 10' 10" to 17' 7" from the front of the lens. Right now my 8100 is only 5 feet off the ground and the lens is 22" from the wall..it's super sturdy with an NPL wall mount here http://www.mountdirect.com/NPL_Proje...nt_p/npl_w.htm

Replace the 12" middle pipe with an extension here http://www.mountdirect.com/NPL_Exten.../npl_ext_v.htm and you can get the pj out pretty far. The extension has a huge hole in the bottom for cable management too.

I'm not crazy about the "quick release" feature but overall it's an incredibly heavy and solid mount, heavier than a lot of pj's actually.

novasol,
I have the same mount. I was looking at the same extension earlier today, and was about to order it, but at the last minute decided I should ask you guys' opinion before I do. So, i'll go ahead with the extension and bringing the pj lower.

bouda78,
I did think of mounting the pj on the rear wall, but I have some diy sound absorber/diffusor hanging there, so that's not an option.

Fabricator,
Thanks for the reply.
post #285 of 9243 Old 08-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

I'm about to pull the trigger on this thing.... like right now... someone stop me

I love this stuff!
post #286 of 9243 Old 08-31-2009, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
just wait till after i buy mine. then the price will drop $400.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #287 of 9243 Old 09-01-2009, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkk View Post

2.1 is the firmware version before the upgrade. After the upgrade you should see 2.51. What was going on for 4hrs? It takes only a minute for the upgrade.

If found my error.... have not read this section on the pdf......

2 To get into Service mode:
a) Projector should be off, but plugged in (Green LED on top of PJ has slow flash)
b) Press and hold the Menu button on the projector, then press Power button until the
top Green LED starts to flash quickly (Projector will still be off, but in service mode).
This should only take about a second.

Jeff
post #288 of 9243 Old 09-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Well....I've got my xp pc hooked up and it says it's updating but still at 0% after 15 minutes. One thing that might be the problem is that the fast flashing led indicating service mode stops flashing fast after a few minutes. Also, when installing the updater and it says to turn the projector's power on, the power didn't come on when I hit the power button so I'm not sure if it's supposed to stay in service mode or if the power actually needs to be on to do the update.
post #289 of 9243 Old 09-01-2009, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

I reckon I'm having a problem finding what the instructions refer to as the "xxxx.brec" file
post #290 of 9243 Old 09-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Just got off the phone with viewsonic again and they say what I'm experiencing is a known issue that they are working on. Must just effect certain units but I haven't seen anyone else post about this problem.

They tell me the driver setup.exe file isn't installing properly. Time will tell.
post #291 of 9243 Old 09-01-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessel holland View Post

Just got off the phone with viewsonic again and they say what I'm experiencing is a known issue that they are working on. Must just effect certain units but I haven't seen anyone else post about this problem.

They tell me the driver setup.exe file isn't installing properly. Time will tell.

I will try tonight and tell you if i have the same problem... ...
post #292 of 9243 Old 09-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

I finally got my Pro8100 setup, my Premier PBL-UMS mount worked fine. I had to move the mount over a bit to a more central position, since the Viewsonic has a center lens while my Epson is offset. First off, after hitting the power button I didn't even realize it was on. This is a very quiet machine, most impressive! The power shift/zoom/focus is awesome, it made setup a snap. No more standing on a ladder, excellent! I used the blu-ray "Kingdom Of Heaven" to do some initial tweaking, after resetting my player to output 1080P. The PJ is plenty bright, I settled on CINEMA, WARM 1, and put the bulb in ECO mode. I played with brightness and contrast by eye, and set edge enhancement to 2. At this point a funny thing happened, I was enjoying the picture so much I forgot about using Avia and tweaking further, and just watched the movie! That's a pretty good endorsement right there, but I certainly plan on going back and really trying to make the image as good as possible with my calibration discs. All in all, I'm very pleased so far with this PJ, it really is a bargain at these blowout prices. Yes, my Epson HC400 will be on the market, the Viewsonic is a keeper!

Where's the screen shots?!

I love this stuff!
post #293 of 9243 Old 09-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Same for you HKK...

I love this stuff!
post #294 of 9243 Old 09-01-2009, 01:17 PM
hkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfrommass View Post

Same for you HKK...

Ok, here they are. Following suggestions from bouda78 and others, I adjusted the settings, the picture looks great. However, the vertical lens shift that I am using to the max, I think is causing me loose some pq. I'll have to wait until next week to fix that. For now, here are the screens.

PS3 with 3.0 update

Harry Potter DVD playing on PS3. Pausing the picture introduced some graininess. Actual picture looks better.

Picture taken without pausing, which is why the cat is blurred out.

Letters from Iwojima, Bluray disc on PS3

DVD on PS3, SBSP

The Office episode, ATT UVerse HD. Skin tones look good.
The skin shows a little bit of orangish red, but that's the camera doing it. Looks better in real.

ATT Uverse HD

post #295 of 9243 Old 09-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
HKK, Screen shots look great.
Great thread with alot of great info. My Pro8100 arrives tomorrow from J&R. Will contribute after it's setup.
Keep the screenshots and observations coming.
post #296 of 9243 Old 09-01-2009, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Winslow View Post

HKK, Screen shots look great.
Great thread with alot of great info. My Pro8100 arrives tomorrow from J&R. Will contribute after it's setup.
Keep the screenshots and observations coming.

Same here, tomorrow is delivery time for mine. I just hope UPS does not try to delivery while I am at work. That would suck big time.
post #297 of 9243 Old 09-01-2009, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

great pics hhk , vivd and so much better diffrence than previous pic, and youll get crispier images and more sharpness if you centered the lens . congratulation....
post #298 of 9243 Old 09-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda78 View Post

great pics hhk , vivd and so much better diffrence than previous pic, and youll get crispier images and more sharpness if you centered the lens . congratulation....

I agree, sharpness is improved but not near where it should be. You should rent a few blu rays that are exceptional on sharpness and post pics. Try Shooter, A Bug's life, the Watchmen. Even on my Epson 720, it looks much better than your screenshots. Of course the camera plays into it, and the fact that you aren't pausing at key points where there is no on screen action.
post #299 of 9243 Old 09-01-2009, 03:30 PM

Can someone give me a refresher course in picture posting? I'm hooked up with Photobucket, but it's been awhile and I forget the procedure.
post #300 of 9243 Old 09-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasol View Post

I agree, sharpness is improved but not near where it should be. You should rent a few blu rays that are exceptional on sharpness and post pics. Try Shooter, A Bug's life, the Watchmen. Even on my Epson 720, it looks much better than your screenshots. Of course the camera plays into it, and the fact that you aren't pausing at key points where there is no on screen action.

I agree...actually to me, in some of those shots, it looks like you may have some convergence issues?

I did, however, personally take the plunge Ordered from JR today. I'm not moving into my new place until the 15th but I'll be sure to fire this up to make sure it works. Can't wait to actually get things goin

I love this stuff!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pro8100 Full Hd 1080p Home Theater Projector , Viewsonic
Gear in this thread - Pro8100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page