Old 09-03-2009, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yep-
User is noisy
Contrast at 62 is WAY too high, blown out on my unit.....
Still trying different settings, I can't trust those settings, because the whites are way blown out with them.
Detail at 5 is too noisy IMO
detail enhancement is at 0 due to it creating a lot of noise as well.
I also noted cinema may be causing noise, so I started experimenting with professional and normal as well....

Much more tweaking to do to find my preferred settings.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1908 View Post

I found alot of noise or a grainy picture with pcs on. I also realized that for me using the user settings added alot of noise and was having trouble with blue. Also, cinema added alot to that too. So this is how I have mine now and the picture seems alot better:
I used normal mode and warm 1. And my comcast cable box was set to 444.
contrast-62
brightness-54
saturation-44
hue-50
black level-normal
color space-auto
lamp mode-eco
auto iris-on
HQV-
detail-5
film mode-auto
lti-off
cti-off

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can anyone comment on how sports look from the Pro8100? I watch mostly TV sports, both HD and SD, and was looking for something reasonably priced that I could set up just above head level on a High Power screen.

Many reviews and comments on the Viewsonic report noise/grain. I was wondering if folks have found settings that get rid of the grain when watching sports?

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post

Yep-
User is noisy
Contrast at 62 is WAY too high, blown out on my unit.....
Still trying different settings, I can't trust those settings, because the whites are way blown out with them.
Detail at 5 is too noisy IMO
detail enhancement is at 0 due to it creating a lot of noise as well.
I also noted cinema may be causing noise, so I started experimenting with professional and normal as well....

Much more tweaking to do to find my preferred settings.....

Let me know what you come up with for settings. I can't stand all the noise/grain. I like normal and warm with pcs off. I will run avia.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:50 AM

I've been getting a lot of noise/grain also, very annoying! This video "static" is most visible with a dark backround, I didn't have this at 720P with my Epson! I find PCS noisy and blown out, but I still have firmware rev. 2.11. I'll try to fine tune the picture, it's gonna be a pain to move the PJ into my office to download the latest rev.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:50 AM

Liked: 10
I just figured out a way to rearranged everythingin my 12'x16' room to get this projector going. I have the image maxed out 10' wide righ now with 2 windows open and it still looks great. And its pretty much noon.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:11 AM

bouda, how deep is your shelf?
I figure this unit is 15.5" deep, plus cable.. needs to be about 18"? deep
Old 09-03-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

THANX ALL FOR YOUR COMPLIMANTS.

landshark22 these are the settings of my pro8100 and you should enter the all settings to get correct color, first you shoud set your source to ycpr 4:2:2, 4:4:4 or FULL RGB and then at memory enter the following and save in order user1 , user2

Best Mode: The calibrated version of Cinema mode, has Color Temp set to user1.
Brightest Mode: Calibrated version of Cinema mode has Color Temp set to user2

these at picture menu:

Contrast=62
Brightness=54
Saturation=44
Hue=50
sharpness: 80

confige menu:

Black Level=Normal
Color Space=Auto
Lamp Mode=Normal (unless noted otherwise)
Auto Iris=on
Daylight Sensor=Off

HQV:
Detail Enhance=7 for high image noise set to 5
Film Mode=Auto
LTI=on
CTI=on

memory menu:

User 1 Setup (used for "best mode", and used with Cinema/user 1 color)

Gain R = 521, G = 342, B = 360
Offset R = 506, G = 512, B = 516

User 2 Setup (used for "brightest mode", and used with Cinema/user 2)

Gain R = 512, G = 466, B = 470
Offset R = 512, G = 512, B = 512

zachHD considering the screen its 120" fixed frame , i build it my self and costs 100$ , its white black out fixed at a wood board 16:9 120" or apply your wall measurement 127",133".... and a the frame is 3.15" covered with black velvet because it absorb light.
at manual viewsonic pro8100 they recommend that screen should have no gain at all to get correct contrast. if your screen is 1.0or more gain try to decrease the contrast.
and for 720p and CG you can inrease detail enhancement to 7, if you are watching sd use eco mode for dvds, some bluyray movies contain high noise like 300 or gladiator , you can decrease detail enhancement to 2 if you want but try to take action scene inconsideration because bluyray contain noise and this pj amplyfied it to 120" or more and thats normal to watch every single detail or noise.

floridapoolboy do the update with laptop, and its normal to see noise at full hd with very sharp pj, at action scene and games
no problem at all

poorsignal the shelf is 22" the pj is huge and also audio recevier too and to get comfort with cables
Old 09-03-2009, 11:47 AM

I don't believe that noise/grain is normal for sharp image. Like I said, pcs off, normal mode and warm1 I don't have hardly any noise/grain. I think it is a issue with this projector.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't believe that noise/grain is normal for sharp image. Like I said, pcs off, normal mode and warm1 I don't have hardly any noise/grain. I think it is a issue with this projector.

Are you getting noise with both Blu Ray and SD-DVD? It doesn't bother me on Blu ray, seems to be more apparent on reg DVD and especially HDTV
Old 09-03-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:

If noise is normal then I have some thinking to do on projectors. My eyes seem to pick up on the slightest of things that are detrimental to my viewing experience. I really like things to be as "perfect" as possible.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasol View Post

Are you getting noise with both Blu Ray and SD-DVD? It doesn't bother me on Blu ray, seems to be more apparent on reg DVD and especially HDTV

Yes I am. It's not as bad on blu ray but is still there. Mostly solid colors. Blue on cinema mode and pcs is blocky, smeared color not uniform. With hd cable find something with a lot of blues then pause it and go with warm1, normal mode and pcs off and see if you can tell the difference.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

zachhd try to play bluyray movies at any lcd or plasma , take a closer look at the screen and then youll notice the noise" changing in pixel polarization" and when you notice that it called full hd. at standerd difinition smoothness gives no detail , low noise "slow changing at pixel polarization" , pcs is gamma correction and viewsonic have hqv processor that provide 33 gamma correction and that needs a professional in adjustment when you apply the correct color setting then pcs on dosent bother.
and maybe foridapoolboy need update to enhance the picture quality, ididnt notice any problem with noise pictur quality just as lcds or plasmas and even more enjoyable at 120" , this pj is the correct choice over any plasma or lcd, 103" plasma costs 75,000$ 150" 150,000$
you can buy an appartment, car, cinema room for less than those. so the choice is yours.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda78 View Post

zachhd try to play bluyray movies at any lcd or plasma , take a closer look at the screen and then youll notice the noise" changing in pixel polarization" and when you notice that it called full hd. at standerd difinition smoothness gives no detail , low noise "slow changing at pixel polarization" , pcs is gamma correction and viewsonic have hqv processor that provide 33 gamma correction and that needs a professional in adjustment when you apply the correct color setting then pcs dosent bother.

Ok, I will have to try that... I just want to be sure I can get the best possible picture out of this projector as I will only have 1 shot at choosing the right one and I would like to be really satisfied with it.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

ZachHD go for it , right now any similar pj with less sharpness and color is for 2k+ and a better one with a resolution of 1920x1200 with xinon bulb is for 9k+. this is the best especially after price cut down and few pj left at the market.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachHD View Post

If noise is normal then I have some thinking to do on projectors. My eyes seem to pick up on the slightest of things that are detrimental to my viewing experience. I really like things to be as "perfect" as possible.

Unfortunately I believe this is a lcd issue. I had many dlp projectors and it wasn't as noticeable.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately I believe this is a lcd issue. I had many dlp projectors and it wasn't as noticeable.

Does it really make you think this is a projector not worth buying? Not sure about DLP but my price range is really around what this is at right now (1200-1400).
Old 09-03-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal View Post

bouda, how deep is your shelf?
I figure this unit is 15.5" deep, plus cable.. needs to be about 18"? deep

Mine is 19" deep from wall to the lens edge, but that is with rather decent cables, and pretty much maxed out.
It really should be 20+" deep

Screen Pics
Old 09-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You know, I think this may be it. My Epson 720 is an LCD and doesn't seem to have much less noise, if at all. I actually prefer it I think... I remember the HD65 and HD200x looking too soft, too smooth.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:43 PM

I have been following these threads for a few days now. Trying to decide between the 8100 and the HD20 and a lot of the posts I have read have been helpful.

I was hoping to get some comments on a couple of things: Have people been reporting that the "yo-yo" issue with the 8100 is being resolved with the v.2.5 firmware update? I have also read (here?) that Projector Central's numbers for the 8100 are not accurate -- that this projector is significantly brighter than the projector calculator indicates. Is this true? I have some ambient light issues (white ceiling, walk-out basement) and want to make sure I make the best choice for my situation (also, 106" white screen, 1.0 gain).

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhops View Post

I have been following these threads for a few days now. Trying to decide between the 8100 and the HD20 and a lot of the posts I have read have been helpful.

I was hoping to get some comments on a couple of things: Have people been reporting that the "yo-yo" issue with the 8100 is being resolved with the v.2.5 firmware update? I have also read (here?) that Projector Central's numbers for the 8100 are not accurate -- that this projector is significantly brighter than the projector calculator indicates. Is this true? I have some ambient light issues (white ceiling, walk-out basement) and want to make sure I make the best choice for my situation (also, 106" white screen, 1.0 gain).

Thanks!

I went back and forth between the Pro8100 and HD20 too. I went with the 8100, due to the higher end features that it has. I don't have the settings dialed in yet but so far I'm very happy with it.

When I got mine the yoyo effect was very noticeable when it happened, but it doesn't happen often. After the update the iris works much smoother and I never even notice the iris adjusting. I don't know if the brightness calculations are right, but it looks plenty bright to me. I've had a couple of people comment that it looks like a giant plasma.

I'm also using a 106" 1.0 white screen. pj is about 15' from the screen.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhops View Post

Thanks!

Yes, the iris issue has been resolved with 2.5. I find the projector calculator brightness guide useless, go check out projectorreviews for real world brightness. I'd say if you need over 1000 lumens then it isn't for you. If you only have the white ceiling and walls and can control the light from windows, etc, it's more than bright enough. I'm guessing I can get 900 lumens without compromising color fidelity too much. Tweaked to my liking in eco mode, I'm getting about 650(to my eye).
Old 09-03-2009, 03:45 PM

I have the black screen with red lettering.Does this mean I have the latest firm wear upgrade?

Thanks,
Harry
Old 09-03-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrys View Post

I have the black screen with red lettering.Does this mean I have the latest firm wear upgrade?

Thanks,
Harry

Bring up the Menu, and hit the LEFT arrow(for status), it will be right to the left of the Status arrow.
Mine was 2.1 when I got it.

Screen Pics
Old 09-03-2009, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the replies! Completely answered my questions. This looks like the projector for me. I might try to find a retailer tonight that can sell both the Viewsonic and the Elite screen. I look forward to tweaking this thing and finally getting the "theater" I've been waiting for! Now just to finish painting...
Old 09-03-2009, 04:48 PM

I don't have a laptop, Bouda, or else I certainly would use it. I'll have to remove my PJ and bring it into my office to hook it up to my computer. Concerning the grain I'm seeing, I didn't have the issue at 720P with my Epson, so I won't deal with it at 1080P. If I can't find a solution I'll return the PJ, bottom line.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandShark22 View Post

I went back and forth between the Pro8100 and HD20 too. I went with the 8100, due to the higher end features that it has. I don't have the settings dialed in yet but so far I'm very happy with it.

When I got mine the yoyo effect was very noticeable when it happened, but it doesn't happen often. After the update the iris works much smoother and I never even notice the iris adjusting. I don't know if the brightness calculations are right, but it looks plenty bright to me. I've had a couple of people comment that it looks like a giant plasma.

I'm also using a 106" 1.0 white screen. pj is about 15' from the screen.

That would be the best case scenario if it looks like a giant plasma for this price... I am really leaning toward it also!
Old 09-03-2009, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

these pics for CG and games video resized at 1024x768

Old 09-03-2009, 05:28 PM

Gorgeous!
Old 09-03-2009, 05:32 PM

Wow those look really nice... I think that was the final straw in deciding if this was the right choice.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

hope u like them

Tags
Viewsonic Pro8100 Full Hd 1080p Home Theater Projector , Viewsonic