post #451 of 9243 Old 09-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post

In the case of the lines, it does not really matter what I am watching. They become apparent on certain colour backgrounds (and the startup splash screen). It is pretty much a series of vertical lines that run through the picture. They dont move and there are pretty much 6 or 7 of them across the screen. Like I said though, they disappear after about 15 to 20 minutes of watching. I do note they seem to be less apparent now then they were a few days ago. I have only had the PJ a week and noticed them right after doing the firmware update to 2.51. Other than this I am totally impressed with this unit.

Is it like in this picture? http://omat.pp.fi/DSC03518.JPG

Not my pj, it was posted before in this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 9243 Old 09-07-2009, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

drudge you can run matrix as considered the highest fps movie , then for cg run monster to see color , then for the amazing big screen planet earth. from the best bluyrays at this projector speedracer have vivd color, cars must have to any pj, kingkong for breath taking experiance, the dark night for imax at your home.
post #453 of 9243 Old 09-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieC5 View Post

Can anyone provide the bolt pattern/measurements for the mount? Greatly appreciated. Want to work on it before the projector arrives!
Thanks

You mean the distance between holes? There are three, two in front and one in back, forms a triangle. It's 24.5mm across the front and 25mm from each front to the back one.
post #454 of 9243 Old 09-07-2009, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

omega when you turn off the projector these lines disappear , i got these lines when i connected the wd players to the pj , and once i discounected it and turn off the pj then on it disappeared , i think you have one source that is not fully compatible with the 1920x1080p of this projector because these are verical lines , and this projector offer uxga and when you set some bluyray players to 1080p they signals wuxga which is the wide version of uxga. so that can cause vertical lines , and when you change the resolution to 720p it dissapear and check you hdmi connection they are sensitive and could cause easly such things, i had one done that before even i bought one that after a time it passed only video without audio, another avs member had the same problem of yours and when he changed the hdmi connection to a good brand one this problem dissappear so far.
so check another bluyray player and another hdmi connection.
post #455 of 9243 Old 09-07-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasol View Post

Is it like in this picture? http://omat.pp.fi/DSC03518.JPG

Not my pj, it was posted before in this forum.

Yes, that is exactly what I am getting. I think I am just going to ask Dell to send another one givem it is only a week old (Unless someone on this forum has encountered this and a "fix" to it.
post #456 of 9243 Old 09-07-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda78 View Post

omega when you turn off the projector these lines disappear , i got these lines when i connected the wd players to the pj , and once i discounected it and turn off the pj then on it disappeared , i think you have one source that is not fully compatible with the 1920x1080p of this projector because these are verical lines , and this projector offer uxga and when you set some bluyray players to 1080p they signals wuxga which is the wide version of uxga. so that can cause vertical lines , and when you change the resolution to 720p it dissapear and check you hdmi connection they are sensitive and could cause easly such things, i had one done that before even i bought one that after a time it passed only video without audio, another avs member had the same problem and when he changed the hdmi connection to a good brand one this problem dissappear so far.
so check another bluyray player and another hdmi connection.

I have this using a Brand new OPPO BDP-83 player going through the Onkyo 875 receiver. I am not certain how any other source could be affecting the unit. I also note that the lines have been visible on the "Precision" start up screen as well and this should be indpendent of any source hooked to the PJ. As far as cabling, I am using a Monoprice 20ft cable that has not given me any issues. I will need to play with that a little though. I just dont want to go through the hassle of returning it if there is something else at play here.
post #457 of 9243 Old 09-07-2009, 04:46 PM

Omega, I've also encountered the same problem with my projector, and will be contacting Viewsonic tomorrow to see about a replacement. The issue is called "vertical banding" and it has nothing to do with the nature of the input or cables connected to the projector; instead, it is apparently some sort of voltage issue within the panels themselves which allows these certain lines to become visible. There's some discussion about this on other forums here at AVS, and apparently this issue can afflict all LCD projectors--it's definitely not specific to the Viewsonic. For me it's intermittent, and usually fades after 20-30 minutes, but not always, and it's pretty annoying to give it that much time for them to fade, so I plan on contacting customer service fairly soon.
post #458 of 9243 Old 09-07-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

omega no thats something else at the starting logo, you can updated another for another time, if the problem persist you should return it a.s.a.p also you dont have to worry it have 3 years warrenty. 1st year free of charge shipping.
post #459 of 9243 Old 09-07-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasol View Post

You mean the distance between holes? There are three, two in front and one in back, forms a triangle. It's 24.5mm across the front and 25mm from each front to the back one.

Just what I was looking for - thanks
post #460 of 9243 Old 09-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieC5 View Post

Just what I was looking for - thanks

Actually it's 24mm across the front, just double checked.
post #461 of 9243 Old 09-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

OK the projector is here! I don't move in until a week from today...so I'm going to throw an image on a wall to make sure 92" is the right screen size for my seating distance. I'm going with a manual pull down screen, so I'm wondering what brand do I go with? I've owned Carada in the past, but they don't do pull down. I've heard good stuff about this Focupix company recently, and they r cheap. I wanna keep it inexpensive. I think a lot of people here were recommending Da-light Model C, this is a company I've worked with in the pas so i trust their quality, and the price is pretty darn good (sub$300 at the right place it seams)...so what screen material for this projector if I go that route?

-tim

I love this stuff!
post #462 of 9243 Old 09-08-2009, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

timfrommass if you read the pj manual youll find that they highly recommened no gain screen at all because this pj is way high contrast, unless you want to decrease the contrast and brightness. so i advice you to not spend much at the screen because from the posts the quality is high at a normal paint wall.
post #463 of 9243 Old 09-08-2009, 12:33 PM

Depends, however I'm going with the Da-light Model B @ 106" High Power for my application as a system in my 10.5' X 17' room shelf mounted @ 50", with its potential to greatly extended useful bulb lifespan(you can always reasonably dial down initial brightness and adjust contrast (see High Power thread in "screens" sub-forum), the material is heavier weight. It will, 80% of the time be left down and only for rear closet access will it be ever raised here.

Good luck~

-Regards

~ Retro-reflective goodness ~
post #464 of 9243 Old 09-08-2009, 02:38 PM

I just got mine from j&r and I'm loving it, I'm projecting 131" () in the bedroom as a test (with some ambient light), onto a light green wall and its just magnificent! Obviously the skin tones are a little off.

This is going to be in my basement, the contractors should be here in a couple of weeks to start but I wanted to jump on this projector to make sure I get it. I can already see the flexibility of the motorized lens is a huge advantage over the other projectors I was considering.

Of course it would be the day where there are no live sports

Anyone need screenshots?
post #465 of 9243 Old 09-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Ok so as a test I projected this onto a wrinkled white sheet hanging in the middle of an open walk way between a living room and kitchen, with tons of ambient light. Yeah, ideal conditions I think.

Even given all that, I'm already impressed. I haven't been in about a year or so, but for 7 years I was involved in custom home theater sales. I've seen everything from the Infocus 4805 that I used to own, to a 3 chip Runco with the finest supporting electronics. What I saw from this unit on the Bedtime Stories blue-ray for 5 mins was enough to get me very excited. I did some basic adjustments, and the picture I can tell is razor sharp. The colors are vibrant. I can't comment on blacks or shadow detail, because of the conditions I was watching it in, but I'm psyched. I was looking at a 92" image from 10 feet away, and I'm thinking that might even be too small. I used to sit the same distance from an 80" screen with a 480p and then 720p projector. I may stick with the 92" because I value the clarity of the image over the size, but something is urging me to get nearer to 100".

Either way, I can tell already that this will be money well spent. I'm also thinking that a matte white screen is probably going to be the way to go. Any other thoughts on that?

I love this stuff!
post #466 of 9243 Old 09-08-2009, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

bclbob come on man hit us with the images.

timfromass another opinion you can get high gain screen and set bulb to the eco mode
and save your bulb to 5000 hour.
post #467 of 9243 Old 09-08-2009, 05:25 PM

My ancient but trusty Proxima Pro SX1 had served me well for the past 9 years. Unfortunately/fortunately it was stolen from my home along with just about every game console, video and audio gear in the house.

This has me taking a serious look at the Viewsonic Pro8100 as a replacement. I am waiting to see what the presale prices on the RS15 and RS25 look like. Either way, I will probably pick one of these up for under $1300 for my master bedroom.

I have a Vutec Silverstar 92" screen I bought during A/V Science powerbuy in 2003. Do any of you use this screen with the Viewsonic Pro8100? Would you?
post #468 of 9243 Old 09-08-2009, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
do you guys REALLY have to ask if we want screen shots ? come on now....

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #469 of 9243 Old 09-08-2009, 06:28 PM

Oh Yes!

In Transit

Type:
Package

Service:
GROUND

Just in time for NFL season

Although my 106" High Power screen delivery will lag by a week, I prefer this successive order of the systems delivery than the reverse

How about some encouragement of the pairing from other 8100 / High Power users along with probable better calibrations you folks have settled upon, please (if you care to take the time to have written them down & share )
(looking at youz guys Muzz , FLpoolboy )

-Regards

~ Retro-reflective goodness ~
post #470 of 9243 Old 09-08-2009, 06:42 PM

I'm still waiting for mine to ship from tigerdirect. In the mean time I want to get my cabling and surround speakers run into my walls. I want to take advantage of the reon chip for standard DVDs and cable broadcasts. Currently, I have all my devices running hdmi through my Denon 3808. Do I need to disconnect my cable box & DVD players and send them through component so that they can pass 480i. I thought I read somewhere that many devices upscale once connected hdmi.
I have a comcast DVR, pioneer elite dv48av dvd/sacd , denon1940ci DVD/sacd ,toshiba A3, and pannyBD35. Does anyone know if anyone of these will send 480 material via hdmi?
post #471 of 9243 Old 09-08-2009, 07:03 PM

im considering this PJ as an upgrade from the benq w500, is the horizontal and diagonal lens shift comparable?
post #472 of 9243 Old 09-08-2009, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
we are going to have to start calling it the pro8100. as epson just came out with an 8100 of there own. don't want to be confused.

and
how about some pics of the menu setup ! and during play menu.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #473 of 9243 Old 09-08-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

darth_majere -- You don't have to worry. The Pro 8100 has lots of vertical and horizontal lens shift, so you have lots of "wiggle" room. As a guide-line, you should mount your screen so that the lower 1/3 is below your seated eye-line (to the screen).

In my case, we sit semi-reclined so our screen bottom is actually at the same height (from the floor) as our eyes. This puts our eyes aimed at about 1/3 of the way up the screen. Our measurements are: eye-height = about 37", our 106" screen is 52" high, so that puts the top at 13" from our 8.5' ceiling. Remember all screen sizes are of the viewable area. Most screens have a 1.5" to 3" black border all around them (to block any stray light). The lens of the PJ is around 2" from the bottom of the PJ (the bottom is closest to the ceiling for a ceiling mount).

Then you can mount the Pro 8100 on a ceiling mount. Depending on how high your ceilings are, you may want to have a mount which puts the PJ about 6" to 8" from the ceiling (assuming an 8' ceiling height.

Remember the PJ gets mounted upside down (you flip the image in the PJ menu). You should try to mount the PJ so that the center of the lens lines up roughly with the center of the screen (left to right). The PJ has to be level (assuming the screen is perfectly vertical). You then use the lens shift to center the image on the screen.

As I mentioned earlier, you can find out that information around page 10 of the user manual: http://www.viewsonic.com/assets/005/5446.pdf. As for the distance of the Pro 8100 to the screen, see http://www.projectorcentral.com/View...ulator-pro.htm for the details. That is a completely interactive calculator, and each box can be adjusted for your setup. You enter the screen size and it will tell you the range of distances from the screen to the front of the lens (= projection distance). For instance, the PJ can be mounted anywere from 10' 10" to 17' 7" from a 106" screen (plus about 1/2 the depth of the PJ).

cpage -- You don't have to apologize, those are very good pictures (with the lights off), even without a "real" screen. Those "squares" look like your room light is reflecting off of something in your room that is lit by the light(s). Screen shots are best with no room light (as you found out).

CT_Wiebe

Thanks for the information, i have put my PJ on my ceiling and my screen is not good as before, my v.keystone is -13 to have perfect image but i think is to my much.... i have move down my PJ after i need to use v-keystone.... what on my setting is not good.....

Thanks for help....
post #474 of 9243 Old 09-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfrommass View Post

Ok so as a test I projected this onto a wrinkled white sheet hanging in the middle of an open walk way between a living room and kitchen, with tons of ambient light. Yeah, ideal conditions I think.

Even given all that, I'm already impressed. I haven't been in about a year or so, but for 7 years I was involved in custom home theater sales. I've seen everything from the Infocus 4805 that I used to own, to a 3 chip Runco with the finest supporting electronics. What I saw from this unit on the Bedtime Stories blue-ray for 5 mins was enough to get me very excited. I did some basic adjustments, and the picture I can tell is razor sharp. The colors are vibrant. I can't comment on blacks or shadow detail, because of the conditions I was watching it in, but I'm psyched. I was looking at a 92" image from 10 feet away, and I'm thinking that might even be too small. I used to sit the same distance from an 80" screen with a 480p and then 720p projector. I may stick with the 92" because I value the clarity of the image over the size, but something is urging me to get nearer to 100".

Either way, I can tell already that this will be money well spent. I'm also thinking that a matte white screen is probably going to be the way to go. Any other thoughts on that?

My matte white works very well with this pj. I don't see a need to go with a gray at all, nor a High power.. I'm satisfied with the blacks and there's plenty of brightness. In the near future I'm going to paint my wall with Siverfire(the DIY screen section) but for now I'm loving it just the way it is.
post #475 of 9243 Old 09-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

These pictures were taken projecting on a white bed sheet pinned to the overhang between the kitchen and living room haha. The sheet even has textured stripes on it. Given all that, I think these shots look pretty good. The ceiling for the performance of this projector will be high, I'm sure of that. Had a nice little movie night with my parents, sis, and little nephew as it was

I love this stuff!
post #476 of 9243 Old 09-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

There was really no reason for me to do this, because I just took everything down tonight and packed it for when I move next week haha but I couldn't stop messing with this projector. I tweaked the settings a bit more and got better results. Again all worthless as you'll see the conditions on which these shots were taken in the second pic. But once again, look at the quality even with ambient light and the bed sheet screen!

I love this stuff!
post #477 of 9243 Old 09-09-2009, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

i think no matter where you project that thing just gonna give outstanding picture.
beautiful color , excellent sharpness, congratulations timfromass, and welcome to the familia.
post #478 of 9243 Old 09-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

timfrommass just posted the best screenshots yet...all from a bedsheet too..lol
post #479 of 9243 Old 09-09-2009, 10:05 AM

still can't decide Designer white or grey to use, which one has less gain?
The grey is better if you have a little ambient light sometimes, right?
post #480 of 9243 Old 09-09-2009, 10:38 AM

also, wondering about replacement lamp and filter.. will it be readily available 3 years from now? I only saw one store with the lamp..
or is everyone feeling this is an expendable projector?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pro8100 Full Hd 1080p Home Theater Projector , Viewsonic
Gear in this thread - Pro8100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page