Viewsonic Pro8100 1080p Projector - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks GOD its only happened twice at blue back round just when i connected the wd player and then disappear after reset, and never happened again for that i suspect the source and hdmi cable , my pj is 459 hour , ill check to manufacturing date and posts later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfrommass View Post

I'm intrigued by the fact that this thread went for a very long time with only a few references to the banding issue...now all of a sudden everyone has it. Seems odd, if you have it please post your manufacture dates

May 2008, but I've got way more than just banding issues
post #543 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 AM

Count me in! I originally was looking at the HD20 but after going through this thread and a few others, I pulled the trigger!

I wanted the lens shift anyway since I put it on a shelf. Got it for $1152 after Bing Cash Back from Tigerdirect.

This will replace my Panasonic AE900U.
post #544 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 PM

My 8100 arrived at my doorstep yesterday! I'm waiting on my screen to arrive, but anxious to set it up and hopefully get the same impressive results that I have seen posted here.

Before I do that, I wanted to update the firmware (my unit came with v. 2.11) but I am not having any success. My computer runs Vista...I thought I saw people commenting on this problem in this thread in the past, but can't find it now. So, sorry about bringing this up again, but does anyone have any advice to offer?

Vista tells me that it doesn't think the driver installed correctly on my computer. Regardless, I am able to run the updater program; but when I tell it to update the software it says that it can't find the machine...The PDF that came with the download suggests that I just try this a few times. I've done that with (obviously) the same outcome.
post #545 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 12:53 PM

I was able to update only with XP.

Me is may 2008 and i think i got the problem.... i can return with no problem at DELL canada. i will check tonight and if i have the same problem i will return.... it's a good idea to have a new one or change for a other model?
post #546 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 12:57 PM

Mine arrives tomorrow. Its looks like the units arent arriving with updated firmware. My family, friends and myself all run OSX so I guess Im outta luck.
post #547 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drudge View Post

Mine arrives tomorrow. Its looks like the units arent arriving with updated firmware. My family, friends and myself all run OSX so I guess Im outta luck.

Kinko's?
post #548 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 PM

Novasol,
Never thought about that doing that. But they probably have vista. lol
post #549 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

I did the FW update with vista...follow the instructions in the PDF to a tee. I missed a step the first time or read the "alert wrong", but after I paid closer attention it worked just fine.

-tim

I love this stuff!
post #550 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Novasol,
Never thought about that doing that. But they probably have vista. lol

Internet cafe's, they cant all be running Vista

carrying around your 20lb projector asking if they run Windows XP...lol
post #551 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 02:32 PM

Liked: 11
Jan 2008 manufacturing date. I'm projecting onto a 96" Carada CCW screen. I think the reason that we are now noticing these issues is that a lot of us just bought this PJ at the blowout price and have been using it for a few weeks. Mine looked great at first, it just started banding 2 days ago. I'm now thinking of just returning it to JR Music, I'm still within the 30 day return window (barely!).
post #552 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

Jan 2008 manufacturing date. I'm projecting onto a 96" Carada CCW screen. I think the reason that we are now noticing these issues is that a lot of us just bought this PJ at the blowout price and have been using it for a few weeks. Mine looked great at first, it just started banding 2 days ago. I'm now thinking of just returning it to JR Music, I'm still within the 30 day return window (barely!).

The picture to me seems good enough to try again to me. I'd say go through JR to replace it so you start a new return window. Do what you're comfortable with, but I've seen a lot of projectors, and don't remember ever seeing a bang for your buck this good

-tim

I love this stuff!
post #553 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:

The picture to me seems good enough to try again to me. I'd say go through JR to replace it so you start a new return window. Do what you're comfortable with, but I've seen a lot of projectors, and don't remember ever seeing a bang for your buck this good

-tim

Agreed, except for these picture issues! I've been getting a lot of "noise" in dark scenes, blue in particular, from day one. I've been trying to work around that, when all of a sudden the banding appeared. I've had my Epson for 2 years with zero banding, I'm just not able to accept this, regardless of price!
post #554 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not saying to accept it. Exchange it for a new one that does work. As far as the noise goes do u have PCS on? Edge enhancement at all?

I love this stuff!
post #555 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

guys this pj is great and have 36month labor warranty i dont think viewsonic stupid enough to sell this pj with this warranty if they are not sure of their pj quality, anyways the closest image quality pj is at 3500$+ like dlp infoucs in83 that the only rival thats better picture sharpness and film like quality, the new infoucs hit the price of 4999$, others like panasonic 3000 and epson 6500 prices from 2500$-3000$ and have less sharpness less vivd color, also epson presented the new pj lines, so this one still the best bagan with 36month warranty.
post #556 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:

I'm not saying to accept it. Exchange it for a new one that does work. As far as the noise goes do u have PCS on? Edge enhancement at all?

I've been trying EVERYTHING to get rid of the excess backround noise in dark scenes, no dice. I'm currently running warm 1, Cinema, edge enhancement way down, detail enhancement at 2, and I'm using the picture numbers that Bouda supplied for contrast, brightness, etc. I watched "Stargate" last night, the scene where Dr Jackson and Shauri enter the cave and discover the wall paintings. When Colonel O'Neil enters the entire backround, as well as his shirt, are full of digital "sparklies". The entire scene has loads of backround noise, as do many others in dark lighting. This is very annoying, but the banding is the final straw. I only have a few days left to return this, and JR is out of stock for replacements. At this point I'm seriously thinking of giving up, someone tell me they are enjoying a terrific, trouble-free picture from their Pro8100!
post #557 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda78 View Post

guys this pj is great and have 36month labor warranty i dont think viewsonic stupid enough to sell this pj with this warranty if they are not sure of their pj quality, anyways the closest image quality pj is at 3500$+ like dlp infoucs in83 that the only rival thats better picture sharpness and film like quality, the new infoucs hit the price of 4999$, others like panasonic 3000 and epson 6500 prices from 2500$-3000$ and have less sharpness less vivd color, also epson presented the new pj lines, so this one still the best bagan with 36month warranty.

That's your opinion and your entitled to it... However, seeing as a lot of these posts are saying that it has a lot of issues, there was a flaw in the QC obviously and is in a large majority of these PJs. If you are going to have to buy over the internet and keep exchanging hoping for a good one, that just isn't a good option for me. I will have to look elsewhere and see if they have better quality control on their products.
post #558 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

I've been trying EVERYTHING to get rid of the excess backround noise in dark scenes, no dice. I'm currently running warm 1, Cinema, edge enhancement way down, detail enhancement at 2, and I'm using the picture numbers that Bouda supplied for contrast, brightness, etc. I watched "Stargate" last night, the scene where Dr Jackson and Shauri enter the cave and discover the wall paintings. When Colonel O'Neil enters the entire backround, as well as his shirt, are full of digital "sparklies". The entire scene has loads of backround noise, as do many others in dark lighting. This is very annoying, but the banding is the final straw. I only have a few days left to return this, and JR is out of stock for replacements. At this point I'm seriously thinking of giving up, someone tell me they are enjoying a terrific, trouble-free picture from their Pro8100!

With only 6 hours on it, knock on wood, I am. Edge enhancement KILLS the picture as far as noise goes. Shut it OFF, even at the lowest setting I noticed it.

-tim

I love this stuff!
post #559 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachHD View Post

That's your opinion and your entitled to it... However, seeing as a lot of these posts are saying that it has a lot of issues, there was a flaw in the QC obviously and is in a large majority of these PJs. If you are going to have to buy over the internet and keep exchanging hoping for a good one, that just isn't a good option for me. I will have to look elsewhere and see if they have better quality control on their products.

Obviously some people are having issues, but there are others who aren't. Take also into consideration that Epson who is "king" of the sub$3K projector market right now shipped out who knows how many units last year with poor to terrible convergence. Panasonic has a long reputation as a big seller and has always had issues with dust blobs until their most recent models.

This is not uncommon to have a run of bad production on a product. I'd be willing to be the units with issues are all within a few months as far as their manufacturing date goes

-tim

I love this stuff!
post #560 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:

With only 6 hours on it, knock on wood, I am. Edge enhancement KILLS the picture as far as noise goes. Shut it OFF, even at the lowest setting I noticed it.

-tim

My edge enhancement was at zero, made no difference in the scene I used to illustrate the noise problem. I didn't have banding at first either, it appeared after about...6 hours!
post #561 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 PM

I dont have my 8100 yet and don't wanna sound dumb but could the background noise in dark scenes be film grain?
post #562 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmuntean View Post

Just got off the phone with Viewsonic customer support regarding the vertical banding issue; they're emailing me a shipping label, and I'm going to be returning it to them for repair. I tried to push for a loaner, or for them to just send me a replacement, but the rep said that demand for the Pro8100 was so high right now that they didn't have any in stock at Viewsonic, which is why they were pushing for repairs on it. They told me that it would probably be 14 days turnaround time on the repair. I'm a little dubious about all of this, as it was my understanding (reinforced by the Wikipedia excerpt in a post above) that VB can't really be repaired. Argh.

We're supposed to have a first year "Express Exchange Service" warranty, right? This entitles us to a replacement PJ within 48 hours, if I remember correctly. Two weeks for a repair, wazzup with that? What good is Express Exchange Service if they don't have anymore PJs??
post #563 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:

I dont have my 8100 yet and don't wanna sound dumb but could the background noise in dark scenes be film grain?

I never saw this level of noise in the same scenes with my Epson, which is why I've been so upset by it.
post #564 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

ZachHD iam not trying to sell you the pj, and you are glad that you didnt bought it , you have open market to choose from, i didnt have this issue as so many others only 3 reported this problem out of many with out any problem, also the service are not happy to keep exchanging their pj for 3 years unless they are professional tennis players .

floridapoolboy try to turnoff the pj for 30min and unplug it remove all hdmi inputs, turn it on re install the hdmi and see the picture if it appeared you need a replacement a.s.a.p
post #565 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 03:41 PM

Floridapoolboy, don't give up! This noise in dark scenes was something I encountered at first, as well, when I had my Oppo set to output "blacker than black" to the Pro8100. I changed the setting to "normal," and all of the noise went away (and the blacks looked plenty black, too, btw).
post #566 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda78 View Post

floridapoolboy try to turnoff the pj for 30min and unplug it remove all hdmi inputs, turn it on re install the hdmi and see the picture if it appeared you need a replacement a.s.a.p

Thanks, but are you trying to fix my backround noise problem, or my banding problem? I'm really gonna need to fix BOTH if this PJ is gonna be a keeper!
post #567 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmuntean View Post

Floridapoolboy, don't give up! This noise in dark scenes was something I encountered at first, as well, when I had my Oppo set to output "blacker than black" to the Pro8100. I changed the setting to "normal," and all of the noise went away (and the blacks looked plenty black, too, btw).

My Sony is not set to blacker than black, and the PJ is set to normal. If someone could try the "Stargate" scene I mentioned and look for backround noise I'd appreciate it! I don't want to blame the PJ if it's the transfer, but I also noticed this problem in several scenes in "Kingdom Of Heaven", bummer...!
post #568 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

floridapoolboy thats for the banding problem , i have it twice and happened because of the source so mara-nalle after he changed the hdmi cable and unpluged the pj problem never accoured , also he noticed that problem when he connected sony blueray player, as for me the problem happened with the WD player, try what i posted and use other playing source like ps3. and this is my 78 post as my nick name bouda78 hope its goodluck for you
post #569 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 04:04 PM

floridapoolboy ,
How do animated disks with nearly perfect transfers, or heavily DNR movies look on your PJ?
post #570 of 9243 Old 09-10-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:

floridapoolboy ,
How do animated disks with nearly perfect transfers, or heavily DNR movies look on your PJ?

Sorry, no animated discs, but I do have "Final Fantasy", that's sort of animated! Not sure what makes a disc heavily DNR, but my wife and I watched "Australia" the other night and it was pretty good. Still a few night scenes with excess noise, but not as bad as "Stargate". Of course, this was before the vertical banding started. I have 2 days left to return this PJ to JR Music, I'm gonna play around some more before the deadline. I would just call Viewsonic customer service, but I would want a replacement within 2 days, not a 2 week repair!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pro8100 Full Hd 1080p Home Theater Projector , Viewsonic
Gear in this thread - Pro8100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page