Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post

I turned 24p off and still have the lines on startup. I also ran the PJ direct from my OPPO BDP-83 and still have the lines. I have to say that I am also not convinced that this is traditional vertical banding. I have seen that before on an older LCD and it was far more uniform across the entire screen and not just a few lines here and there.

At the moment I am proceeding to plug the PJ into the switched outlet on my Belkin PureAV PF40 power console. This will kill all power to the PJ until I turn on the receiver. In line with what has previously been mentioned on this forum, I will see if cutting all power between use makes a difference. If it works however, it likely means that there is some sort of residual charge buidling up in the PJ (panels?) while it is off but still receiving standby power.

OK I started it up today after being unplugged all night and NO LINES at all. So, this clearly rules out traditional vertical banding, source issues, etc... This essentially leaves us with an internal issue that builds up while the unit is on standby power. I will of course check again from a cold start to ensure that this finding remains consistent.

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:

OK I started it up today after being unplugged all night and NO LINES at all. So, this clearly rules out traditional vertical banding, source issues, etc... This essentially leaves us with an internal issue that builds up while the unit is on standby power. I will of course check again from a cold start to ensure that this finding remains consistent.

Bryan

-So then this should be the standard operating procedures, as I had planed on using an APC battery pack in the event of power surges or outages.

-Turn off with the remote and after cool down cycle, to cut the power at the APC battery pack.

-Wondering if a certain order of turning off sources might be preferable (as there is with audio gear) ?

-I am wondering what the disadvantages may be of the "standby" mode not being utilized other than our inconvenience ?

Thank You Bryan for your continued test and these fascinating results, good man !

-Regards

~ Retro-reflective goodness ~
post #633 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finthen View Post

-So then this should be the standard operating procedures, as I had planed on using an APC battery pack in the event of power surges or outages.

-Turn off with the remote and after cool down cycle, to cut the power at the APC battery pack.

-Wondering if a certain order of turning off sources might be preferable (as there is with audio gear) ?

-I am wondering what the disadvantages may be of the "standby" mode not being utilized other than our inconvenience ?

Thank You Bryan for your continued test and these fascinating results, good man !

I want point out that I have been using the observations and comments made by many people on this board in these tests. My only concern with turning the unit off is that there still is a problem with these units as we should be able to leave them on standby. With any luck Viewsonic will develop a fix and then we can eventually get our units repaired onc and for all.
post #634 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:

I want point out that I have been using the observations and comments made by many people on this board in these tests. My only concern with turning the unit off is that there still is a problem with these units as we should be able to leave them on standby. With any luck Viewsonic will develop a fix and then we can eventually get our units repaired onc and for all.

Indeed, you are absolutely right !

With our multiple conclusions by way of in the field failure troubleshooting should all speed up Viewsonics remedy and turn around time, knowing the specific diagnosis !

The Black Beauty from TigerDirect has now arrived here just now! Manufacture date: Feb. '08 , with the box in excellent condition and nicely double wrapped and packed

-Regards

post #635 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

i tried this experiment and this is the results:

-put the pj with standby mode connecting hdmi with wd player(which my pj produced vb with it), the result when on VB. unpluged to reset VB.
-put the pj with standby mode no hdmi connection to it , turn on connects wd player no VB.
so you have two options:
1st-unpluge ur pj after use.
2nd-discounect any input source at stand by mode.(i prefer the first).
post #636 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:

Indeed, you are absolutely right !
The Black Beauty from TigerDirect has now arrived here just now! Manufacture date: Feb. '08 , with the box in excellent condition and nicely double wrapped and packed

What was the condition of the outside box when UPS delivered it?

BTW, congrats on your new purchase. You'll love it! Do the internet community a favor and post your impressions once you've had a chance to use it for a few days.
post #637 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

i think something bulid up during standby mode from input sources like noise so when turned on all these build up shown to you till the lcd chip fade it away after correct processing, manuf date jan08
post #638 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 07:51 PM

Can anyone confirm the 23db sound rating, and 18db sound rating on eco-mode on this thing? I mean, that's almost silent. I am really interested in this projector even without that low of a noise because of its performance and all of it's features. A noise level that low would be just icing on the cake.

This is the lowest price I could find. No shipping, no tax

http://www.compuplus.com/i-VIEWSONIC...99w36w5aovd5ec
post #639 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 07:52 PM

Liked: 11
I fired up my PJ tonight for movie night, all sources off, PJ on first, followed by Blu-ray. Results, subtle banding on the Blu-ray flash screen, not as bad as the first occurance. Proceeded to watch Quantum Of Solace, very nice transfer, no noise in dark scenes at all! At the end of the movie the Blu-ray flash screen had no VB, it had all gone away. OK, what the Hell is this weird banding issue?
post #640 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

I'm glad everyone seems to be getting over, or mostly getting over their issues. I cant wait to actually be able to set this thing up for real with my new screen on Tuesday!

-tim

I love this stuff!
post #641 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser View Post

Can anyone confirm the 23db sound rating, and 18db sound rating on eco-mode on this thing? I mean, that's almost silent. I am really interested in this projector even without that low of a noise because of its performance and all of it's features. A noise level that low would be just icing on the cake.

Eco mode is almost silent, I had to strain to hear it. Normal mode is audible, but so low as to not be noticeable in most rooms at most locations. MY PJ is ceiling mounted right over the viewing position, I can't hear it in Eco, barely hear it in Normal mode. MUCH quieter than my Epson!
post #642 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

Eco mode is almost silent, I had to strain to hear it. Normal mode is audible, but so low as to not be noticeable in most rooms at most locations. MY PJ is ceiling mounted right over the viewing position, I can't hear it in Eco, barely hear it in Normal mode. MUCH quieter than my Epson!

That's exactly my situation, right overhead. Glad to hear it. And my light controlable room is dark even with the blinds open so I might just able to run it on eco. Thanks for the input fla.
post #643 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfrommass View Post

I'm glad everyone seems to be getting over, or mostly getting over their issues. I cant wait to actually be able to set this thing up for real with my new screen on Tuesday!

-tim

Please note, I saw banding when I first fired up the PJ tonight, so the problem didn't go away. I didn't say anything to the wife, sometimes ignorance is bliss! She thinks this PJ is a great improvement over my Epson, and I don't want to spoil it for her. We all know how much more we obsess over these things than "normal" people, I really won't be happy until I figure this damn thing out!
post #644 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

this "banding". just how noticable is it while watching a movie ?

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #645 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post

this "banding". just how noticable is it while watching a movie ?

Tonight the banding was mild, and i didn't notice it once the movie started. The last time (first time) I saw it it was noticeable in certain scenes, but not in most of them. The banding is quite apparent on the blue backround of the Sony Blu-ray splash screen at startup, it's harder to see during a movie. Of course, once I know it's there I look for it, a bad habit that can ruin the enjoyment of a movie!
post #646 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

ok, well. here is where i am at. i am getting close to buying. this unit is what i want= good (enough) picture quality, QUIET (extremely important), and it looks good (important. call my fickle).

BUT !!!

this banding issue. idk.... i can deal with some things = blacks not perfect, a little noise, colors not perfect, not razor sharp, 1080 amplifying a crappy disc... these issues, i just figure its part of the movie, and i enjoy the movie along with my beers....

seeing lines, or whatever, that don't belong. WELL, thats a whole different thing.

i am looking at other machines. if i have too, a AE3000 will be it. but i would rather not spend that much. as i figure i would replace it in a few years or so(3D). $1300 hit not as bad as a $2300 hit.... average, i watch 1 movie a week. thats all this machine would be used for. though, i may, being impressed with the image, watch 2 movies a week. know what i'm sayin ? my audio are quit good, no problem there.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #647 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:

ok, well. here is where i am at. i am getting close to buying. this unit is what i want= good (enough) picture quality, QUIET (extremely important), and it looks good (important. call my fickle).

BUT !!!

this banding issue. idk.... i can deal with some things = blacks not perfect, a little noise, colors not perfect, not razor sharp, 1080 amplifying a crappy disc... these issues, i just figure its part of the movie, and i enjoy the movie along with my beers....

seeing lines, or whatever, that don't belong. WELL, thats a whole different thing.

i am looking at other machines. if i have too, a AE3000 will be it. but i would rather not spend that much. as i figure i would replace it in a few years or so(3D). $1300 hit not as bad as a $2300 hit.... average, i watch 1 movie a week. thats all this machine would be used for. though, i may, being impressed with the image, watch 2 movies a week. know what i'm saying. my sounds are quit good.

Just to be clear, my "movie night" tonight looked great! "Quantum Of Solace" was sharp, great blacks, no noise, and I couldn't see any banding. That being said, I DID see subtle banding on the start screen when I fired up the PJ, but they were gone at the movie's end when that screen returned. I wish I knew why these bands crop up, and until I do it will bother me, but my movie tonight looked great! (FWIW)
post #648 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

my audio are quit good

lol. dude. what are you smokin. lol . sounds like boudadude

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #649 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just to be clear, my "movie night" tonight looked great! "Quantum Of Solace" was sharp, great blacks, no noise, and I couldn't see any banding. That being said, I DID see subtle banding on the start screen when I fired up the PJ, but they were gone at the movie's end when that screen returned. I wish I knew why these bands crop up, and until I do it will bother me, but my movie tonight looked great! (FWIW)

but i am going to let you guys hash this out for a few more days. i have some time, as i am still working on my master bath. and i don't have the time to build a screen.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #650 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:

but i am going to let you guys hash this out for a few more days. i have some time, as i am still working on my master bath. and i don't have the time to build a screen.

Priorities, Dude! Do you REALLY need a bath, or would you rather watch a BIG SCREEN MOVIE!! Slap on some deodorant, get some popcorn, and let the show begin!
post #651 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser View Post

This is the lowest price I could find. No shipping, no tax

http://www.compuplus.com/i-VIEWSONIC...99w36w5aovd5ec

Pro-8100 - Good warm air flow with an outstandingly quiet operation in eco ! I cannot imagine a quieter fan. Of course my reference is that of coming from a HC-1500 which had to move much more air as it ran much warmer in eco, which relatively was hair dryer loud! Nice schweet icing indeed!

-My box arrived from T.D. by UPS looking as though I bought retail at a local retailer!

-Hint, use BING!

- Awaiting my screen before passing any serious judgments as it takes some time to acquaint oneself with the seemingly infinite colour controls and remote (though becoming much more easily navigated @ 4hrs) and I'm leaving the auto (noticeably distracting) iris control off until I update the FW , yet blacks are healthily respectable; Yet I'm already fairly well pleased with this purchase . As has been said, the versatility and convenience of power lens shift & zoom is a luxury of utility !

Edit: I do not recognize this online outlet, but I do know you should do your research first on resellers!

Good luck, all ~

-Regards

post #652 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Priorities, Dude! Do you REALLY need a bath, or would you rather watch a BIG SCREEN MOVIE!! Slap on some deodorant, get some popcorn, and let the show begin!

lol. the shower is nearly done. and i want to get it DONE.

then, i will be working on "MY" room.

that aside . i don't want "issues" . i want a reliable picture.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #653 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

btw. how much does it cost to use BING ?

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #654 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:

lol. the shower is nearly done. and i want to get it DONE.

then, i will be working on "MY" room.

that aside . i don't want "issues" . i want a reliable picture.

I hear ya, loud and clear! If I paid $5000 for this PJ I'd be ballistic by now, but for $1299 I'm willing to take a few steps to make the picture issue-free. Remember, the closest PJs with these features are at least $1000 more, and that ain't chump change!
post #655 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:

btw. how much does it cost to use BING ?

Doesn't cost, it pays; $195

-Regards

post #656 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:

I hear ya, loud and clear! If I paid $5000 for this PJ I'd be ballistic by now, but for $1299 I'm willing to take a few steps to make the picture issue-free. Remember, the closest PJs with these features are at least $1000 more, and that ain't chump change!

I am enjoying seeing how this plays out. In the mean time I have been looking at dlp sets and pondering over those. If all of the issues with this do become fixed, THEN I will be back to wondering if this is a better way to go.
post #657 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hear ya, loud and clear! If I paid $5000 for this PJ I'd be ballistic by now,

but for $1299 I'm willing to take a few steps to make the picture issue-free.

Remember, the closest PJs with these features are at least $1000 more, and that ain't chump change!

i would just put a stop on the credit card

agreed. if a few steps is all it takes

not doubt. that is why i am still here. but "features" = most of em i tend not to use. its the "meat" of the product i want.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #658 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:

i would just put a stop on the credit card

agreed. if a few steps is all it takes

not doubt. that is why i am still here. but "features" = most of em i tend not to use. its the "meat" of the product i want.

Remember, as with the HC=1500 , discontinued units go up in price as stock goes low; Don't procrastinate too long! FWIW

-Regards

post #659 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Doesn't cost, it pays; $195

nothin is free.

how does that work?

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #660 of 9210 Old 09-11-2009, 09:58 PM

Microsoft is trying to get people to use Bing, so they're leveraging their deep pockets to give you, the buyer, the money they normally would have received from the search referral (from the online store). They've been doing it for quite a while (even before Bing came along, back when it was MSN Live, I think), and the money usually pays out about 50 days after the sale (the purpose for the delay is, I believe, twofold; they want to collect interest on the money for a little while, and they also want to make sure you don't return the product).
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pro8100 Full Hd 1080p Home Theater Projector , Viewsonic
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page