Viewsonic Pro8100 1080p Projector - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, the shapes are blob-like. Practically round and when projected onto a 106" screen are about 3-5 inches wide.

Still haven't made it home yet to take a look, but dust on the internals does make perfect sense. My unit was received in "new" condition from TigerDirect much like other users here - beaten to hell and back in the box, but looked okay when opened, so it wouldn't surprise me if some dust or some other particles snuck into it at some point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

suppression check this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940718
post #723 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

these are some new pics but not in perfect conditions:

post #724 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 03:52 PM

OK, to the ten members who have posted about experiencing vertical banding has there been any resolution? Does unplugging the unit while not in use solve the problem? Has anyone heard anything from the manufacturer on this?
thanks
post #725 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 03:58 PM

Hmm. That thread and those pictures look like what I'm experiencing, Bouda. The poster there lucked out by having a unit without any sort of manufacturer's seal. Do you know if the pro8100 can be opened without voiding the warranty? I'd be comfortable with taking it apart and looking for the blob myself, assuming it won't prevent me from getting repairs down the road.
post #726 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

supperssion since your pj have warranty its better to give it to the service, here is steps to open your own but i dont advice , you can translate this site to english:

http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projek...ionPro8100.htm
post #727 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 04:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieC5 View Post

OK, to the ten members who have posted about experiencing vertical banding has there been any resolution? Does unplugging the unit while not in use solve the problem? Has anyone heard anything from the manufacturer on this?
thanks

I'm gonna unplug mine and try it tomorrow, I'll report back. I've had 3 different results the last 3 times I used it, but I haven't tried the "unplug" method yet.
post #728 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

newfiec5 thats problem is solved as long not plugging for long standby time. and this was discovered by pro8100 owners, viewsonic service asked to return the pj for repair but replacement units returns with the same problem, but so far this problem is solved with a 1 year use of replacement unit that needs unpluge from time to time. i think its more VB noise comes from longtime standby with hdmi input than real VB issue that cant be solved even with the unplugging.
post #729 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda78 View Post

supperssion since your pj have warranty its better to give it to the service, here is steps to open your own but i dont advice , you can translate this site to english:

http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projek...ionPro8100.htm

Wow, that's a really comprehensive review of the pj, plus a lot of useful information. What language is it?
post #730 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieC5 View Post

thanks

Unplugging overnight worked for me on both occasions. I've sent mine away for an exchange though, so we'll see with the new one.
post #731 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasol View Post

Wow, that's a really comprehensive review of the pj, plus a lot of useful information. What language is it?

.DE = German

Got to do something different to modify that filter, though!

Exerpted In English:
Altogether the Precision pro 8100 in the technical structure proves to a few small weaknesses as convincing projector, however also. It is good that one can exchange the remarkable, black cover by a less remarkable white. The problem with the filter leaves itself however unfortunately only through „to DIY “- solutions to repair and whether the relatively pedantic mechanics of the adaptive screen remain unnoticed in the film picture it will show up,…

See, sounds like Bouda... Just kidding B78, we hug ya and love the Pro-8100

(see, its catching)lol :0

-Regards

~ Retro-reflective goodness ~
post #732 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

its dutch and you can translate the site to english through google search.
post #733 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

finthen "sounds like bouda" seems to me every slip in this thread or in the world sound like me , i became a slip example , thanx , by the way even bouda didnt understand this translation.
post #734 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The face tones do not look right. It seems like they need a little bit more red. What can I do to correct this? Here are a few comparison shots between my HC1500 and the PRO8100.
HC1500

PRO8100

HC1500

PRO8100

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #735 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

dvdjags you can increase color saturation or red color alone, i noticed that when setting the player source to RGB instead of ycpr 4:2:2 the redish tone decreased so much, but you get overall bright image.
post #736 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 06:41 PM

I prefer Aperture Priority for my screen shots here as well ! To get the field of view and depth of view for a specific aperture and focal length or figure out the focal length you will need to cover a screen of x size from X feet distance go here.

The suggestion to stand directly under the projector lens is a good tip and is locating the camera lens as close possible to the center of the screen vertically.

I am sorry to see some (I did not take a physical count) of us are experiencing a banding problem. I scratched my head when I saw the work around suggesting unplugging the projector from the wall because my Pro8100 has not been turned off since I got it, and I have not seen any sign of this banding to date; but never say never. I am not knocking the work unplug around because this worked for me on lockups and various other issues.

There has not been a single handshake problem between the Pro8100 and my input sources regardless of whether the projector is started first or last which means Viewsonic did a good job on the HDCP handshake. Most of my HDCP displays want to be turned on FIRST and set to the right input to be 100 percent reliable.

Quick Update on my Pro8100:

Seller: Tiger Direct bought with Bing Rebate from Microsoft

Shipping Time: 5 days

Unit Manufacture Date: January 2008

Firmware: Latest version 2.5/2,51 depends on the remote. Interestingly the firmware was installed using M$'s Vista Home Operating system on a Lenovo Laptop. I cannot remember for sure but may have seen a warning about the install perhaps not installing correctly. Nevertheless, the firmware update ran flawlessly. btw M$ Vista is very quick to put that message out if the install differs even slightly from their benchmark; I run a number of programs that give this message from time to time so always run the program to check it and have usually found the install is fine. I have seen the message so many times I am oblivious to it now.

Installed: August 14, 2009 without checking the UPS receipt
Hours: 81

Power: Unit plugged into an APC 1500 Watt Battery Backup - The unit has never been unplugged and the power has not gone out in the past month.

Inputs:
hdmi 1 direct from HTPC using Intel Q6600 with Nvidia 3870 and
hdmi 2 on 1.5 foot to a 4 port hdmi switch from Sony PS3 and Toshiba HD-DVD player, and a Moto HD Receiver withRecorder Cable Box,
Component 1 from Sony S7700 DVD Player
Component 2 from Xbox 360
Composite from Denon Receiver to see a screen for tweaking the sound system.

Banding: No Banding Problem with 81 Hours usage in first month.

Dust Spots: None yet; but will be cleaning the filter tomorrow per bouda78's suggestion above because I am so paranoid about dust i buy extra camera bodies to avoid changing lenses.

Auto Iris: Working Fine

Still extremely happy with Pro8100 (in fact in love with it after really taking time to calibrate it right) and think the unit is an incredible bang for the buck for reasons I have already stated much early on in this thread. BTW I and many others in this and other forums have spent multiples of this price for display units, projectors and display panels with equal if not more issues than we have seen so far on the Pro8100.
post #737 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:

See, sounds like Bouda... Just kidding B78, we hug ya and love the Pro-8100

English does not seem his native language, so in some ways an apt analogy.
post #738 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 07:04 PM

The calibrated Pro8100 is being used primarily in the Eco Mode. I like the Professional instead of Cinema setting. I like the blacker than black setting after finishing the color setup in normal with the auto iris on. My brightness is set at 43 and the contrast is set to 53 to distinctly see all of the bars in a 21 step black to white vertical bar image and have decided now that the Pro8100 has very good blacks. Saturation is set at 43.

You will do yourself a great service if you get the Pro8100 professionally calibrated or if one is not available in your area consider getting an Eye-one, Spyder3, to use with the free ColorimeterHCFR software the French offer, or better yet consider the factory calibrated version of the Spyder3 that SpectraCal has direct from them with CalMan software that is especially well tweaked for the Spyder3 that is also offered through Curt Palmer.

Also read up on Kal's GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES to start and recognize that you can do this yourself; if something goes wrong just hit the reset key and start over.

If you cannot go now for a Professional, or get a colorimeter, do yourself a favor and at least get the DVE HD Basics Blu-Ray.

This unit is impressive when it is correctly calibrated as bouda78 has said a number of times in this and other threads. A lot of people are reluctant to turn the contrast up high enough so take your time and play with it before and after you calibrate the color. bouda78 is absolutely right when he says you cannot really appreciate this projector until it is calibrated right for your specific installation.
post #739 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

agentHEX thats right english is not my native language.
post #740 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

thanx alot americanstreamer, iam very glad that you noticed the difference in image and happy with your pj best luck , and thats a link for a calibrator as the one i have. and at a sale price its usefull for everything lcd's, plasma's, and even crt.

http://www.buy.com/prod/spyder-3-eli...206177883.html
post #741 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 07:25 PM

Here are a few shots from the tivo today. I still need to get the color right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #742 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

wow dvdjag They are SO SO beautiful without calibration they dont need...

seriously if you can post some images after calb settings. good luck
post #743 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasol View Post

Unplugging overnight worked for me on both occasions. I've sent mine away for an exchange though, so we'll see with the new one.

What's the procedure for an exchange? In case the "unplug" method doesn't work for me I'd like to get a new PJ, and not get stuck in a "ship back, no problem found" type of repair situation!
post #744 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 08:19 PM

Just a quick update that cutting the power to the projector has thus far worked well. No banding as long as I dont leave the projector plugged in on standby. My replacement PJ will be here on Wednesday but as I have said before, I do not expect it to be any different.

Bryan
post #745 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post

Just a quick update that cutting the power to the projector has thus far worked well. No banding as long as I dont leave the projector plugged in on standby. My replacement PJ will be here on Wednesday but as I have said before, I do not expect it to be any different.

Bryan

Did you just call them up and request a replacement? Do you have to ship the original back first? How about firmwear, does the replacement have the latest firmwear?
post #746 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

Did you just call them up and request a replacement? Do you have to ship the original back first? How about firmwear, does the replacement have the latest firmwear?

Dell issued an RMA. As soon as I get the new PJ, I package up the old one with a prepaid shipping lable that Dell provided and send it back. I suspect that the new one will need the firmware update.
post #747 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

DvdJags -- Your flesh tones (post #734) on your HC1500 have too much red (and/or the saturation seems to be set too high). Your Pro8100 looks much more natural (possibly slightly under saturated by a click or 2). The post #741 pictures have better skin tones, but that is also a function of the lighting used in the shots.

It's really hard to tell from screen shots though, as digital cameras also add their own color bias to the pictures (as does my PC's monitor).

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #748 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

DvdJags -- Your flesh tones (post #734) on your HC1500 have too much red (and/or the saturation seems to be set too high). Your Pro8100 looks much more natural (possibly slightly under saturated by a click or 2). The post #741 pictures have better skin tones, but that is also a function of the lighting used in the shots.

It's really hard to tell from screen shots though, as digital cameras also add their own color bias to the pictures (as does my PC's monitor).

Ok I will try increasing the color saturation a little and see how that goes. Thanks!

post #749 of 9235 Old 09-14-2009, 10:49 PM

bouda78 made a good point on the Spyder3 Elite having good software for setting up monitors and TV etc. - The speed you can setup a laptop or computer monitor is very fast as the Spyder3 software makes its own monitor profile file for each monitor in your computer system.

I run as many as four monitors at times off one or more computers and can tell you the Spyder3 Elite software makes matching different manufacturers' monitors a snap because I have used it and it is mindless and it works.

The big negative on the Spyder3 is according to SpectraCal and Curt Palmer that only one of three Spyder3s is good enough to be calibrated and used with CalMan which sounds pretty scary. On the other hand SpectraCal will Calibrate your Spyder3 for 150 bucks but will not guarantee that they can do it because some meters are apparently not good enough to be factory calibrated. On the bright side they SpectraCal drops the $150 charge leaving you only the shipping to and from cost in this scenario.

The Spyder3 calibrated by SpectraCal with a CalMan Home User license specific for the Spyder3 is about 380 - 400 so for an additional 200 dollars you are getting the CalMan Home software license and a SpectraCal calibration file with the Spyder3 which is a good value if they throw 2 out for every Spyder3 that they use.

So make your choice and go with it but read the links before you do it so you will make a good choice for yourself:

Curt Palmer's Website or on SpectraCal's site and and the HCFR Colormeter and do some reading here here on AVSFORUM.

Take a look too at Kal's Grayscale and Color Calibration for Dummies which shows how to use the Eye-One, and Spyder2 or Spyder3 with the French Colorimeter HCFR to get a feel for a good introduction to the calibration process.

Some people like one program over the other by a large margin. Some experienced users think CalMan does too much hand holding but also gives the most repeatable data and others think CalMan is fast on its way to becoming the benchmark standard. Both the SpectraCal factory calibrated Spyder3 and the uncalibrated will work. The CalMan Spyder3 calibrated combination does the best job of setting low level blacks by meter and seems to have the best repeatability. The caveat to this is that users can also use their eyes for setting low level blacks in conjunction with the more accurate higher end of the output curves on the uncalibrated or standard Spyder3 and still get very close to the same result depending on their ability. Nevertheless, results would seem to be most accurate technically on the best calibrated meter assuming the same skill set but in the end it is still what your eyes want to see. The standard Spyder3 with the ColorHCFR process will usually take longer than with the SpectraCal Spyder3 but some people will swear this is not the case. For most inexperienced people learning to manipulate the curves without CalMan leading the way will probably (?) take longer. I hope no one shoots me for saying that.

There are definite trade offs in moving the Gamma too low or too high so the right setting ultimately is the one that let's you see a great color and darker shadow to bright for all the primary and secondary colors. All with good shadow detail in the low blacks but without allowing black to turn into a gray black!

I think people who do things like this will ultimately have a higher level of appreciation when they see a gifted professional in action because some of them are like gifted musicians in terms of what they can coach out of their instruments and your system. Watching the Pros is a learning experience in itself but if you are clueless to start you will get much less out of it than someone who has tweaked his own equipment and understands the primary objectives and the compromises along the way to get there. Maybe you do not care about understanding your equipment beyond turning it on or off and that is fine. Nevertheless, calibrating is good learning and FUN for enthusiasts as well as the Professionals and time well spent to me!
post #750 of 9235 Old 09-15-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

americanstreamer very impressive information and links , i think thats all what's needed for calibration. and there is no lcd or plasma that comes at perfect color so each one produce different colors to the same image. and also for printing as well, the picture we take at camera look different when printed out so these calibrator corrects the color difference to give perfect color printed out image same as real one. (calibrators is a must for who seeks perfect image).
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pro8100 Full Hd 1080p Home Theater Projector , Viewsonic
Gear in this thread - Pro8100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page