Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 9210 Old 08-28-2008, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

The Viewsonic PRO 8100 had a definite green push and the green was a yellow green. It could just be the intrinsic difference between DLP and LCD. I have yet to see an LCD that can duplicate the color pallet of a decent DLP projector. In the absence of comparison, the 8100 looked great...very detailed and bright. It just needs more contrast and better color.

Interesting. In my unit the green is green and I can't recall that any testers would have noticed that kind of color issues and normally Viewsonic color delivery is mentioned in its pros. So I think there's something wrong in your unit, or it just needs a calibration.

BTW I payed about 2100 US$ of my projector. Without calibration professionals visit, of course.

Without movies... there's no life...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 9210 Old 09-01-2008, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbrain View Post

I have downloaded the new firmware and will give that a try later this week.

There is one other new feature, which is wery, wery important. Auto-iris has now actually three different options, one which is same as before and two others. One of those (number 1) is REALLY fast and in my tests I couldn't noticed when it was in use. It leaves the picture a little darker in dark scenes than other options (0 or 2) but I found the difference meaningless, especially compering to the speed of the iris and gone is yo-yo-effect. I'll do some more testing this weekend, if only I were able to calibrate this projector properly..

You can access to those iris options using projector's control panel. Push up-down-left-right-down-up-down-up and menu. You should see a little window in the middle of the screen. Just use left and right buttons to select desired option. Looking forward to read of your tests and thoughts

post #63 of 9210 Old 12-17-2008, 02:58 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara-nalle View Post

I've had this projector about six months now and I've been wery pleased with it. Couple of days ago I noticed that a new firmware is released (without any description of what it does) but I installed it into my projector right away. So what was new? Only noticeable thing in the menu was that only memory option active was "clear all" And still is, but the settings I made are still there and I'd believe it might be some kind of auto-save funcionality. Other change is that now the lamp stays on "Eco mode", earlier I had to change that mode every time after power-on.

BUT... then the BIG change. For a moment thought I just tried the PCS which just ruined the pic before and... WOW!!!! The picture looked simply amazing, colours so rich and alive and 3D-effect is just perfect. In some scenes it looks like a part of the picture is coming out of the screen There's still something funny effects (I have tested only with standard-DVDs for now) but if those can be ignored the PCS really puts the picture into a whole new level. If that can be still improved in future firmware releases and already now works great with HD-material this unit is one hell-of-a-projector.

Hello. What is the procedure for downloading firmware updates? Can you go online ot get them like from thier website, any cost? Also how do you transfer from computer to projector, RS232 cable? I downloaded some updates for a video processor a few years ago and it seems like I had to get the proper cable to do that. Anything I need to be aware of, like bugs, etc. when doing the firmware update? Thanks in advance for your help...Marc
post #64 of 9210 Old 12-28-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvmy69rs View Post

Hello. What is the procedure for downloading firmware updates? Can you go online ot get them like from thier website, any cost? Also how do you transfer from computer to projector, RS232 cable? I downloaded some updates for a video processor a few years ago and it seems like I had to get the proper cable to do that. Anything I need to be aware of, like bugs, etc. when doing the firmware update? Thanks in advance for your help...Marc

Hi. Uprades and firmware update software can be found here: http://www.viewsonic.com/support/dow...d_name=pro8100

I used the USB cable and it's mentioned in the uprgrade manual also so I think it should be used.

I'v noticed two bugs. First, memory save is passive, still there is at least two different kind of settings saved (probably) automatically (for both of my players, BR and HD-DVD).

Another bug is that some HQV option (can't remember what, needed only in SD-material) is always off when I turn the projector on.

post #65 of 9210 Old 12-28-2008, 07:46 AM

I just updated my firmware with 2.51. I didn't understand the difference between 2.5 and 2.51. So I went with the later. Updating was pretty easy to to do. I will post my results soon.
post #66 of 9210 Old 02-23-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchrack View Post

I just updated my firmware with 2.51. I didn't understand the difference between 2.5 and 2.51. So I went with the later. Updating was pretty easy to to do. I will post my results soon.

Any thoughts?

Have you seen this: Commercial site, also Firmware info

post #67 of 9210 Old 02-24-2009, 06:03 AM

There is definitely a difference with the update. The colors more true but only once the auto iris corrects itself. The yo-yo effect is big but according to the ebay site there are different settings to adjust the iris, which I need to try. I love the fact that they changed the white flash page with the bird to a black flash page with "Viewsonic" in red.

Also, the correction features on the screen such as zoom and focus are much better with the latest update.

I am on my second 8100 due to a slight defect in the lens. I updated both. I would recommend the update. Let me know how it goes and thanks for pointing out the ebay page.
post #68 of 9210 Old 02-24-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:

I am on my second 8100 due to a slight defect in the lens. I updated both. I would recommend the update. Let me know how it goes and thanks for pointing out the ebay page.

If you mean me I updated my projector already a while ago. Just testing option 3 in auto-iris which should bring contrast rate over 100.000:1 - is there anybody who believes it

Anyway, I should get also a new unit today (I love the on-site warranty) since there's something strange in the picture if I don't plug the projector off the wall when it's not in use.

BTW, it would be nice to know your setup values for your PJ. If possible, pls send me a PM? Althought I live in Finland and we have PAL system here it would be nice to know how you've setup your unit

post #69 of 9210 Old 02-24-2009, 07:01 AM

Have you had yours calibrated?

My first unit had an odd white sphere showing up in the top left corner that only showed in dark scenes when I had complete light control.

I will write down my settings and post them.
post #70 of 9210 Old 02-24-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Have you had yours calibrated?

My first unit had an odd white sphere showing up in the top left corner that only showed in dark scenes when I had complete light control.

I will write down my settings and post them.

It's not calibrated by the pro. And still in this replacement unit Custom Color Temperature menu is passive And there is a round green spot in the middle of the picture which can be seen only in dark backround I'll try to re-install the lamp and if it does not help I'll contact the service again...

Anyway, thank you so much in advance if you were so kind and send me your calibration values

post #71 of 9210 Old 02-27-2009, 06:10 AM

I am still working on it. My Marantz pre/pro went out on me and all my HDMI switching is going through there. I will post when I am back up.
post #72 of 9210 Old 03-10-2009, 05:19 PM

Just wanted to follow up with those who bought the Pro8100. I haven't read the forum rules for awhile, so hopefully I'm not violating them.

A popular computer manufacturer in Canada has these for sale. Are there any other sub $2k 1080p projectors that you can recommend I should check out?

Thanks.

Edit. Oops I guess this may belong in the < $3k thread...
post #73 of 9210 Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troylavigne View Post

Just wanted to follow up with those who bought the Pro8100. I haven't read the forum rules for awhile, so hopefully I'm not violating them.

A popular computer manufacturer in Canada has these for sale. Are there any other sub $2k 1080p projectors that you can recommend I should check out?

Thanks.

Edit. Oops I guess this may belong in the < $3k thread...

Epson Home Cinema 6100, for less than $300 more you can get the 6500UB after rebate...not sure on the shipping though.
post #74 of 9210 Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 PM

how does this projector compare to the benq w5000?
post #75 of 9210 Old 03-12-2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:

I am still working on it. My Marantz pre/pro went out on me and all my HDMI switching is going through there. I will post when I am back up.

There's no rush, I'm still waiting my own unit back from the service (I'll get it back and give this replacement unit away) and there's no point to start testing with this one now.

Feel sorry for you for your problems with Marantz, I know the feeling

post #76 of 9210 Old 03-13-2009, 10:16 AM

Just bought this projector and awaiting delivery. I liked the 3 year warranty along with a year or 1000hrs on the bulb. Seems like okay reviews. Any other pointers will be much appreciated.
post #77 of 9210 Old 03-19-2009, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just ordered a Pro8100 direct from ViewSonic for $1,799. Deal is good thru 3-20-09.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #78 of 9210 Old 04-03-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there anyway to tell what firmware version is installed in the PJ?

post #79 of 9210 Old 04-04-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Is there anyway to tell what firmware version is installed in the PJ?

Hi, press menu then the left arrow (which is Status) and you will see a tiny number in the bottom right side of the Status box. (I mean tiny)
post #80 of 9210 Old 04-05-2009, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, found it. Now have to decide on 2.5 or 2.51. I know it makes sense to go w/ 2.51 but not sure. Waiting for reply from ViewSonic now.

post #81 of 9210 Old 04-05-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Thanks, found it. Now have to decide on 2.5 or 2.51. I know it makes sense to go w/ 2.51 but not sure. Waiting for reply from ViewSonic now.

2.51 if for Viewsonic's original remote and 2.5 is for 3rd party remote version.

BTW I gor mine PJ back from the service. All they did was a firmware upgrade from 2.51 to 2.51(!) and yes, same problem still occurs. I'll do some more testing at home and take some pics and video from the screen so they'll actually SEE in the service what's wrong. It takes some time before problem occurs, I told the service guy how to be patient and play some movies during several days to get it visible but no...

post #82 of 9210 Old 04-19-2009, 12:54 PM

Liked: 14
Hi i need a big favor from one of the current owners of the pro8100.

Can someone please measure the actual length and width of the space between the 4 foot of the projector. I am not sure if my stand is big enough to fit the projector.

my stand measures at 16.7inches x 14.5inches

thank you
post #83 of 9210 Old 04-19-2009, 05:17 PM

Width of your shelf will be a problem. Legs for width center to center is 17 inches. Center to center depth wise is 11 1/2 inches.
post #84 of 9210 Old 04-19-2009, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Outside-to-outside for the feet on mine is 12" X 17.5".

Could you put another piece on top of your shelf like 1/8" Masonite?

post #85 of 9210 Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 PM

argg looks like the width just missed it. the problem is i am using a tall display cabinet made out of glass. I can put a piece of wood or something on top to give it more space, but it would be very slippery and the projector might not be secure.

This is by far the best value at 1700 and i need a bright projector, so it's perfect for me. Why they have to make it so big

thanks guys for the measurement.
post #86 of 9210 Old 04-20-2009, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

You could use Velcro or some other surface w/ a high coefficient of friction.

What is the surface made of that it would sit on if it wasn't too big?

BTW it's a super projector IMHO. Just need to get better educated in how to set all of the variables, some of which I'm not even sure what they are.

post #87 of 9210 Old 04-20-2009, 11:04 AM

Yeah i saw this on projectorreviews.com the biggest problem they had with it is the dynamic iris yoyo effect, but according to posts here it seems the latest firmware release has fixed the issue significantly. In the review, they were comparing it to 1080ub, and other 2500+ projectors and the comparison was close.

the surface is made out of glass, maybe i can superglue something on top of it hmm...
post #88 of 9210 Old 04-20-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

The firmware upgrade fixed the yo-yo effect, at least to my eye.

Maybe a layer of felt or foam backed cloth like auto headliner mat'l.

post #89 of 9210 Old 06-09-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Guys,

I saw the luke-warm reviews for this projector, but noticed the price at the time was $4000+. I can get it for 1600, which puts it below the Epson 6100 in price, for me. It does have some features that look nice (motorized zoom, shift,focus, HQV etc, I think), and I was wondering if this is *normally* the better choice? I know the 6100 has longer bulb-life, and probably is brighter, but it seems like Viewsonic is supporting this projector pretty well. Is the D6 panel organic or inorganic? I believe the Epson has organic panels and this is worse than inorganic ones?

I'm planning on using it in my light-controlled basement, filling a 2.35:1 screen (120" diagonal) from a distance of about 18 feet. Sounds doable?
post #90 of 9210 Old 06-09-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Check the screen size and throw distance on a calculator.

It should work well as you described. I really like mine.

Where did you see one at $1600?

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pro8100 Full Hd 1080p Home Theater Projector , Viewsonic
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page