Viewsonic Pro8100 1080p Projector - Page 313 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #9361 of 9384 Old 12-04-2016, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I still have the problem of the vertical "band" of pinkish blurry color on the left edge of the picture. It didn't start or with the issue, just appeared one day. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this, and how I can get rid of it? That's the only downside to this great projector.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9362 of 9384 Old 12-04-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I can't remember if it was horizontal banding or vertical banding that responded to turning the projector off for a few hours.

Fabricator: My Sony is just as quiet as my Pro8100 was.

There was a fairly recent post a few pages back discussing bouda.

Edit: I believe he was using the binoculars to get a close-up view of the screen while back at the PJ adjusting focus, etc.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .

Last edited by 73shark; 12-04-2016 at 02:47 PM.
post #9363 of 9384 Old 12-04-2016, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I can't remember if it was horizontal banding or vertical banding that responded to turning the projector off for a few hours.

Edit: I believe he was using the binoculars to get a close-up view of the screen while back at the PJ adjusting focus, etc.
i think it had to be unplugged for a while, most just unplugged it when not in use. this is what i do, but i have never had banding.

quiet = cool. while i do not wish to replace mine. if i had to, i guess $2000 issn't terrible.

i got lucky and found the posts about bouda kinda quick.
what i ssaw was started in post # 9314.
i remember thinking, while he was on here = dude, that is a volatile region. you are lucky, and that may not last long. turns out i was right.
and he had a nice setup iirc.

chasing rattles ......Pro8100 & Da-Lite HP 2.8 Cult member

post #9364 of 9384 Old 12-04-2016, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I had the horizontal banding temporarily, but it resolved itself.

This is a blurry vertical region of coloration that's only noticeable in scenes with light backgrounds like the sky, or a white wall of a building. The image is clear in the link area, just tinted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
post #9365 of 9384 Old 12-05-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1705 Post(s)
Liked: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post
i remember thinking, while he was on here = dude, that is a volatile region. you are lucky, and that may not last long. turns out i was right.
Bouda and I way back when, developed a pretty good friendship based on not just our enthusiasm for Home Theater, but we found other common ground as well .. He was a strong believer in Syria and he loved his city of Damascus, hoping that someday a more Democratic way of life would evolve ..

Prior to the fit hitting the shan, he and his family lived in a gated community, not much different from what we have in the USA .. it was walled off / had security cameras / etc .. their lives were as normal as anyone else with the normal things we all do .. he had a good job, etc .. in one of our last communications, he was preparing to evacuate his family and himself .. the danger they faced developed in less than 48 hours .. within 2 days, he and his family became, essentially, refugees and lost pretty much all he had spent his lifetime building ..

Sometimes, I think we lose track of the fact that the many that have been directly effected by things of this sort are just ordinary folks, living ordinary lives and trying to get by .. just like most of us do .. they do not expect, nor do they plan for, total disruption .. they just want to live their lives in peace ..

It is a lesson in learning that things can fall apart quickly and unexpectedly ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9366 of 9384 Old 12-05-2016, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

i sure did like him and reading what he had to say.. i sure do wish him and family well.

and yes, things can and do fall apart. a car accident for example. i am waiting for my life to fall apart, and it will.. almost a miracle that it hasn't already. most people take things for granted, i don't.

post #9367 of 9384 Old 12-05-2016, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A pessimist is never disappointed.

post #9368 of 9384 Old 12-06-2016, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A pessimist is never disappointed.
speaking from experience = that is not true.

post #9369 of 9384 Old 12-13-2016, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Auto-iris malfunction?

Hi Everyone,

It is nice to see I am not the only one still rocking the old Pro8100. I have been very happy with this projector and intend on keeping it at least until we can get a similarly awesome deal on a 4k or fauxK projector. The only area I have been a little unhappy with is the performance of the auto-iris. I have adjusted to seeing the pumping of the iris during dark scenes over the years but when I finally do upgrade I will be happy not to deal with that. Recently it seems that the auto-iris is now malfunctioning a little as I think it has gotten stuck or slowed down considerably as it tightens up during dark scenes. I actually had my entire screen go grey while watching Stranger Things which features lots of dark content. My solution for now has been to disable the auto-iris. This works ok but the image in some dark scenes can become so crushed that I can't tell what is happening in the film. Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone have a solution they can recommend? I know keeping an almost 10 yr old projector alive will entail some compromises but I still want to get the most out of this thing while I can. Thanks for the help.
post #9370 of 9384 Old 12-13-2016, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5548 Post(s)
Liked: 3539
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

Vertical banding. I had mine on a timer. Do not have the projector, funny enough, I still have the timer.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #9371 of 9384 Old 12-13-2016, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
Hi Everyone,

It is nice to see I am not the only one still rocking the old Pro8100. I have been very happy with this projector and intend on keeping it at least until we can get a similarly awesome deal on a 4k or fauxK projector. The only area I have been a little unhappy with is the performance of the auto-iris. I have adjusted to seeing the pumping of the iris during dark scenes over the years but when I finally do upgrade I will be happy not to deal with that. Recently it seems that the auto-iris is now malfunctioning a little as I think it has gotten stuck or slowed down considerably as it tightens up during dark scenes. I actually had my entire screen go grey while watching Stranger Things which features lots of dark content. My solution for now has been to disable the auto-iris. This works ok but the image in some dark scenes can become so crushed that I can't tell what is happening in the film. Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone have a solution they can recommend? I know keeping an almost 10 yr old projector alive will entail some compromises but I still want to get the most out of this thing while I can. Thanks for the help.
Did you do the firmware upgrade that was available back in the beginning? IIRC, it was supposed to fix this problem.

post #9372 of 9384 Old 12-14-2016, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Did you do the firmware upgrade that was available back in the beginning? IIRC, it was supposed to fix this problem.
It has been a while but I believe I was never able to get the firmware to upload into the projector. The iris has always been slow and I believe that firmware update was supposed to speed it up. The recent behavior is much worse than the slow iris it has had since the beginning though. I will check and see if I still have the firmware file and an XP machine to do the upgrade with.
post #9373 of 9384 Old 12-17-2016, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I finally got around to installing the second lamp I received from Apexlamps. It is also dimmer than my existing bulb which has almost 1000 hours on it. I am going to return it and not request a replacement just a refund. I don't want to try a third lamp.

At this point I am going to just keep my existing lamp and keep an eye out for a good deal on a used JVC projector or the new Epson 5040. I love that Epson finally added power lens shift and focus. The new JVC X550R/RS400U also seems like a great option.

Last edited by beekermartin; 12-17-2016 at 02:10 PM.
post #9374 of 9384 Old 12-19-2016, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sup guys? Thought I'd stop in and say hi. PJ still going strong, waiting for something good in 4K. I was actually curious about Bouda with all the stuff going on there, read the last few pages, sorry to hear it.
post #9375 of 9384 Old 01-12-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am hoping to get some recommendations from prior Pro8100 users that have upgraded. I am getting the itch to try a newer projector. I am leaning toward a used JVC but most of the older models aren't bright enough for my 120" screen and 18' throw. The new Epson 5040ub seems like a great option but I am not ready to spend that much at the moment. That lead me to the Sony VPLHW45ES. It appears to be bright enough but doesn't have the best blacks. I imagine they are better than the Pro8100 but not as good as the 5040 or any JVC for that matter. Also the Sony doesn't have power lens shift or zoom. I can probably live without it but I do like that feature. The Sony is less than $2000 so I am considering it. I want a projector that is bright enough to use with some ambient light. The Pro8100 was one of the brightest projectors with good colors back in its day. It appears the Sony is even brighter according the reviews I've read.

If you have upgraded from the Pro8100 please post your opinions. Thanks!
post #9376 of 9384 Old 01-12-2017, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I got the SonyVPL-HW40ES a little over a year ago mainly to try 3D. It is a little brighter than the Pro8100 and colors seemed a little "crisper" but didn't have them side-by-side. While the 45 is selling at a lower price, you could probably get a gently used 40 even cheaper and they are essentially about the same. The 45 is reported to have slightly better contrast. My Sony is very quiet as was my Pro8100.

post #9377 of 9384 Old 01-12-2017, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I got the SonyVPL-HW40ES a little over a year ago mainly to try 3D. It is a little brighter than the Pro8100 and colors seemed a little "crisper" but didn't have them side-by-side. While the 45 is selling at a lower price, you could probably get a gently used 40 even cheaper and they are essentially about the same. The 45 is reported to have slightly better contrast. My Sony is very quiet as was my Pro8100.
Thanks for the response! I might consider a used 40 as well.
post #9378 of 9384 Old 01-13-2017, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How is the black level with the 40? I've done some quick research and it appears the 55 is much better because it has an iris but the 40 does not.
post #9379 of 9384 Old 01-19-2017, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am still looking around for a used Sony 40 or a good deal on a new 45. In the mean time I decided to try some different settings to help increase the brightness. I used the settings that were posted very early on in this thread that include settings for both best picture and brightest. Unfortunately those settings don't mention PCS at all. The bright settings are much brighter but have a very artificial look to them. I don't expect the colors to be as good as properly calibrated settings but I was hoping for better than that.

All of the settings I have seen that calibrate the PCS system are too dim for me.

Any recommendations?

Last edited by beekermartin; 01-19-2017 at 12:19 PM.
post #9380 of 9384 Old 01-19-2017, 12:12 PM

If I recall correctly, there was a secondary thread dealing with various things .. you might look for that ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9381 of 9384 Old 01-19-2017, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've tried a bunch of different posted settings but not many had been done using high lamp and calibrated for maximum brightness. Maybe it is time I look into getting a new meter and software to calibrate it properly myself. My current meter is ~8 years old. I imagine that would be far from ideal to use. I need to do some research about current meters. It appears the C6 is one of the best around but more expensive than others.
post #9382 of 9384 Old 01-19-2017, 01:42 PM

The 8100 when new, with a new VS lamp, was pretty bright, in and of itself .. I always projected in a fully darkened room, so brightness was never an issue until the lamp began to age .. even then, it was still OK .. I don't know if we'll ever see another home PJ with all the capabilities near the same price point as the 8100 was .. I never really used PCS ..

Uncle Willie

post #9383 of 9384 Old 01-19-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
The 8100 when new, with a new VS lamp, was pretty bright, in and of itself .. I always projected in a fully darkened room, so brightness was never an issue until the lamp began to age .. even then, it was still OK .. I don't know if we'll ever see another home PJ with all the capabilities near the same price point as the 8100 was .. I never really used PCS ..
I completely agree. The Pro8100 was an incredible deal if you bought it in the low 1000's like most of us here did. It has been dead reliable for over 6 years and still throws a great image.

I have over 800 hours on my second lamp now and it has dimmed. I tried to replace it but had bad luck with two supposedly OEM lamps from Apexlamps.com. I gave up trying to replace the lamp and decided to start looking for a replacement. I have decided to try the Sony HW40/45ES next. It appears to be the best option for my setup, 120" 1.1 gain screen with a 18' throw. Most projectors have much lower lumens with a 18' throw but the Pro8100 didn't dim as much as most. That appears to be the case with the Sony 40/45 as well. I don't have a bat cave so I care more about brightness than ultimate black level. With that said I do have a Panny VT60 and a LG OLED so I appreciate great black levels. Unfortunately I don't have a dedicated room for my projector so I have to compromise on black level. A projector that can handle a long throw and still be bright enough to fill a 120" screen is what I am looking for. The Sony appears to be the best option for that setup. The new Epson 5040 would dim too much in its best color mode. That has always been the case with Epson projectors. I had two prior to the Pro8100. They were both bright enough in their dynamic modes but way too dim in their best modes.

I will do some research into current meters and software. I would like to calibrate all my tvs, the triple monitors in my pc gaming setup and a projector.
post #9384 of 9384 Old 01-31-2017, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I ended up buying a used Sony HW40ES on Ebay. It has just over 1000 hours on it. Even with that many hours it is much brighter than my Pro8100. I just bought another Sony OEM bulb on Ebay that had been used for 51 hours according to the seller. Once I get that installed I will be able to see how bright the 40 really is.

My immediate opinion is the 40 has better black levels, is brighter and has more options to improve motion. It isn't as sharp as the Pro8100. I expected that. The Pro8100 is well known for being extremely sharp. It did originally list for $5000 and has a great lens so I am not surprised it is sharper than the 40. With that said with Reality Creation set to 20 the 40 is sharp enough. I watched some of the Celtics game last night and the improvement in motion handling and the improved brightness looked great. I haven't spent much time tweaking it yet but all the reviews on the 40 state it doesn't require much tweaking to look great. I reset it all to factory and I am using Reference mode. I'm sure with some minor tweaking it will look even better. I also watched a few minutes of Up on bluray and it looked amazing. The improvement in contrast was obvious and striking.

I will need to spend many more hours testing it out but eventually I will write a full comparison. The Pro8100 has treated me well for many years. The HW40ES is a nice improvement in picture quality. I imagine the HW45ES would be even better. I will miss the powered lens but it isn't a deal breaker. I will be selling my Pro8100 eventually. If anyone is interested send me a PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pro8100 Full Hd 1080p Home Theater Projector , Viewsonic
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page