Viewsonic Pro8100 1080p Projector - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 9210 Old 08-24-2009, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my first projector and is my only video source right now, so it is used daily. I would not hesitate recommending this projector to anyone considering it. I am just setting it on a coffee table and projecting on a wall and the picture is bright enough to watch with a few lights on. The blacks have gotten better with a month of viewing, but I can't compare them to other projectors.

With the amount of use this is getting, can anyone recommend a bulb warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 9210 Old 08-24-2009, 03:58 PM

Art from Projectorreviews compared the Pro8100 blacks vs the Infocus IN82 and said the were comparable, sure it's not as black as the Epson 6500UB or the JVC's, but for the price you won't find any better. So please people don't be put off by this matter.

BluePotato, good effort bro, thank you for taking the time to take those pics, I know what you mean by the pics don't do it justice, it can be very difficult to capture what you see, overall you did a very good job! They look awesome by the way I can't wait till I get mine.
post #183 of 9210 Old 08-24-2009, 04:32 PM

Finding this projector has thrown me for a loop. Ive been set on getting the Panny ax200 for months and was just waiting to see if the price dropped any after Cedia. But after reading all I can find on this projector I really think this represents an awseome value.
Iam tempted to just buy it and keep it boxed untill I can afford a 92IN Accuscreen. The Reon chip alone seems to make it worthwhile for watching dvd and some tv as compared to the Panny.
post #184 of 9210 Old 08-24-2009, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by drudge View Post

Finding this projector has thrown me for a loop. Ive been set on getting the Panny ax200 for months and was just waiting to see if the price dropped any after Cedia. But after reading all I can find on this projector I really think this represents an awseome value.
Iam tempted to just buy it and keep it boxed untill I can afford a 92IN Accuscreen. The Reon chip alone seems to make it worthwhile for watching dvd and some tv as compared to the Panny.

Just as a point of reference I have a Panny AX100 and I'm debating on getting this PJ. I love the AX100, but I can't help but think the native 1080p would be better.

Just my .02.
post #185 of 9210 Old 08-24-2009, 05:57 PM

Liked: 13
I am just waiting for Tigerdirect to ship my order. It is on backorder now. I know I should have ordered it when it was in stock. I'll post pics when I receive mine.
post #186 of 9210 Old 08-24-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcredit View Post

Sorry to repeat this post from under $3000 forum, but I'm thinking about pulling the trigger soon.

I've been looking at this projector as well, I have a few concerns and hoping someone can help ..............

My personal take on the Pro8100:

1) The projectorcentral review mentions average ansi contrast (probably lower than average compared to newer projectors) and some digital noise on sd over hdmi. I'm wondering if owners agree with this, and have seen other 1080p projectors and compared contrast ratios. Is the real world image (contrast) obviously less than desired? or are the reviews average because it was for a $3-5000 projector but should be adjusted for a $1500 projector?

The Pro8100, after adjustment, does an acceptable job where good blacks and contrast really make a difference. I am thinking of scenes like the outside to inside tunnel shots of the police chasing the red headed gal out of the medical facility to the street in Fifth Element. Is there a difference between the Pro8100 and my Pro ISP installed and calibrated CRT that is in a light controlled room with Black Velvet on the ceiling from the top of the projector to the Stewart screen which hangs in front of a solid Black Velvet wall with dark paint on the remaining three walls? YES there is a difference and it is easy to see!

But, if I evaluate the overall image difference in a multi-purpose room (Den / Living Room / Playroom/Computer) without complete light control in room painted with off white colored walls the difference is not significant. As the light and wall reflections in a multi-purpose projection room increase the differences in blacks and contrast become less important because deep blacks are not really possible in rooms like these.

It is so easy for me to get too caught up in specifications when the end game is the overall impact of the image to my eyes. This is what is important. The Pro8100 produces images that are enjoyable to watch in rooms with moderate light control and off white walls that negate the benefits of the much better blacks and the excellent contrast I get from my CRT in a light controlled room.

Excluding the Pro on the basis of it being lower than the best or average for a specific set of specifications without considering its overall ability to project a good image is a mistake. My eyes are still the single best piece of test instrument to judge geometry, contrast, uniformity, gray scale compression, movement, picture stability, scaling quality, and color depth simultaneously and instantaneously.

The Viewsonic Precision Pro8100 absolutely shines in my computer room. The image is a pleasure for me to watch in this room which is not CRT friendly in size and lacking light control and has reflections that bounce off the screen back onto the off white walls.

On the subject of digital noise read 3rd page of this review http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/p...ol-menu-system where the reviewer said:

"Under the HQV settings you have access to Detail Enhancement, Film Mode (auto is default), LTI (a luminance level "enhancer" and CTI (a chrominance level "enhancer"). I left both LTI and CTI off, nor could I seem to ever get any significant (ie perceivable) change in picture quality when using them. Regardless, anything thing that automatically adjusts color should be 'Off' in my book. Detail Enhancement is a nice feature, but the default setting of '5' is WAY too high. In fact, it introduces large amounts of noise into the picture. I'd recommend leaving this on, but set it to '2', you'll get a much nicer presentation overall and you won't miss any true detail in the process.

There is no noise reduction for HD sources on the Pro8100. This is unfortunate, however with any HD source the Noise Reduction submenu remains grayed out, eliminating both the Mosquito Noise Reduction (MNR) and the Block Artifact Removal (BAR) functions of the projector. Our suggestion would be to run anything that isn't HD as 480i to take advantage of these excellent features."

The PCS does make reds red even before calibrating the colors.

The wide range of throw options allow this projector to be used in small or large rooms which adds value in that it can be used as a short or medium long throw projector. The low fan noise is a huge plus when watching scenes with low level voice or audio like whispering. The ease of using the remote to zoom and focus as well as remote power control of the horizontal and vertical image control makes the initial setup on the Pro8100 easy and fast. Users that like CRT projectors will generally prefer the Professional over the Cinema with Warm1.

The list of positives just goes on and on for the Pro8100, but the contrast is only average and yet is may be the sharpest image some of the reviewers say they have ever seen. Be careful of writing a projector off over one or two specifications because everything comes into play from the video processing to the lens before that image hits the screen to show its stuff. Sometimes the strengths more than compensate for having several specifications that are considered average.

There are negatives other than just blacks as should have read above like it not using its excellent noise reduction on HD Source Input which can be helpful when the HD Source material is sub standard, and not having manual iris control is another minus for blacks that people want to see on a 5k projector. The remote menu takes a little effort and really needs to be memorized because some things seem out of place on it to all of the reviewers. I agree with them it could be better but is easy enough to learn fairly quickly.

The size and weight of Pro8100 are not a negative to me because it cuts down on the noise level and enables this projector to run cooler and also speaks to its build quality.

2) Anybody have issues with dust blobs or seen reports about this?

I have not read about any problems but would say this is potentially a problem with any LCD projector, but especially if filters are not cleaned as recommended which is every 200 hours as I recall on the Pro8100; when it is time to clean it the projector will inform you. If you operate the machine in a dusty environment you will need to clean the filter more often.

3) Anybody compare this projector to Benq w5000 or Infocus X10 for image quality?

http://www.projectorreviews.com/1080...ctor/index.php

Focusing on image quality is fine but also pay attention to where you going to be sitting. If sitting directly under the projector, which is usually the case, the noise level becomes more important depending on your room size, planned layout, volume level you prefer for watching movies, loud or soft? Pay attention to little things that determine the placement of the projector like whether the projector is a short throw - a long throw etc and how big a screen you want to fill with it. The BEST absolute best Image quality may be a moot point if you need a short throw projector and the best image is a long throw projector. Do you want to hang the projector or put it on a shelf?

I suggest you read the link below your question 3) as it will give you some excellent comparisons between the 1080p projectors in all of the price ranges.

4) I have a lower end projector, the optoma hd65, is this projector a significant upgrade?

I think the Optoma hd65 is good entry level projector.

The Pro8100 is not an entry level projector. The Pro8100 is an upgrade for many reasons. It has a huge array of useful features the projector has included with it including PCS and HQV. The warranty is better. It runs much cooler. The Lens is much better. The bulb life is projected / speculated to be significantly better using eco mode for the bulb. The noise level is much lower, and to me the overall build quality is in a completely different league than the hd65; the Pro 8100 is a really beautiful and well built piece of equipment. Being able to change the bulb from the side is another plus for the Pro8100 that sets it apart from much more expensive projectors in terms of convenience. The features like HQV and PCS combined with the 1080p at the current price point make this projector a phenomenal value.

However if you are using a small screen or a mediocre one the difference will not be as dramatic as it will be on larger one with better quality. Most really good screens sell for more than the Pro8100 does right now. All of our 32 inch TV sets here are 720p because at the distance we sit from the screen 1080p would be overkill. The sets that are 40 inches and up are all 1080p. If you are sitting close enough you will see an improvement even on an 80 inch screen. If a bulb lasts five years then a feature like the side door for changing the bulb is not important so has to be discounted. To me, Viewsonic's putting the side door on the machine for bulb changes was brilliant.

In the end it is your setup and only what you want is really important.

Everyone here has an opinion but only you know exactly what you want and can rank them in importance!

I hope this is more helpful than confusing to you. Good Luck in your search for finding the projector that is best for your setup.
post #187 of 9210 Old 08-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Has anyone purchased a Pro8100 using BING through J&R? If so did you get cashback credit in your account? I'm checking before making a move. Thanks
post #188 of 9210 Old 08-24-2009, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
J&R is out of stock on em.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #189 of 9210 Old 08-24-2009, 07:04 PM

Thank you AmericanStreamer
post #190 of 9210 Old 08-24-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Winslow View Post

Has anyone purchased a Pro8100 using BING through J&R? If so did you get cashback credit in your account? I'm checking before making a move. Thanks

Yes my BING credit showed up within minutes after I made my purchase. It's on backorder now so I am waiting for it to be shipped.
post #191 of 9210 Old 08-24-2009, 07:56 PM

what is the next best place to order this bad boy from online?
post #192 of 9210 Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 PM
hkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Winslow View Post

In my case, I didn't see the cashback in my account right away. JR shipped the unit the same day, and cashback showed the next day. JR told me they send the sale info to MS once they charge the credit card, which happens when they ship, but others seem to have it shown up in their accounts even before shipping.
post #193 of 9210 Old 08-24-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaresMachine View Post

Amazon.com has two left in stock right now. Do a google search or BING search for prices.
post #194 of 9210 Old 08-24-2009, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

i'm wondering if the supply is running out ?

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #195 of 9210 Old 08-24-2009, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You can order them direct from Viewsonic for a reasonable price.

Robert Clark
post #196 of 9210 Old 08-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Anybody with one care to comment about screen door? I am quite sensitive, but have only seen a panny 1080p lcd, and it had none. How does this one campare to the Sanyos as far as it is concerned as I have read the Sanyo have visible screen door when viewed at close to normal distances. In my theater I plan to sit about 12' from a 10' wide screen.

Thanks,
Bricktop
post #197 of 9210 Old 08-25-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickTop View Post

Anybody with one care to comment about screen door? I am quite sensitive, but have only seen a panny 1080p lcd, and it had none. How does this one campare to the Sanyos as far as it is concerned as I have read the Sanyo have visible screen door when viewed at close to normal distances. In my theater I plan to sit about 12' from a 10' wide screen.

Thanks,
Bricktop

;D You must be one of the people that likes to sit on the first row of seats in a movie theater. This is not going to give you the exact answer you are looking for Bricktop but might help you on planning your layout.

With a ceiling height of about 8.75 - 9.00 feet you can accomplish that screen size with a safe projector throw distance of about 14.5 - 15 feet if you are in a movie room that has very good to excellent light control. The Pro8100 can move its image back to the screen without being above or below the screen which means you will not have to worry about the offset.

You also may want to consider watching an action movie projected on a blank wall to be sure you will really like sitting 11 - 12 feet from a 137 inch diagonal screen. My experience is that most people will hate sitting that close to a 137 inch diagonal screen any length of time; they will instinctively want to move back to about 17 feet to enjoy watching it.

You might want to read the link below before buying a 137 inch diagonal screen:

http://www.theprojectorpros.com/lear...setting_up.htm

I have no hint of a screen door effect, but I am sitting 11 - 12 feet from a 100 inch screen which is a comfortable size for me to watch for long periods of time.

My guess is that the extreme sharpness of the Pro8100 might make it more prone to a screen door effect, but also think that if you see a screen door effect you are sitting way too close to the screen to really enjoy it.

Screen door effects can be reduced a little by adjusting the projector to be a little out of focus if you want to sit extremely close to the screen. The Panasonics smooth out the pixels and probably loses a little of its inherent sharpness in the process but produces a very nice image that many people like. Everyone that has seen the Pro8100 is always impressed by its sharpness. Some people think that too much sharpness makes the output more like video and less film like. But lets face it most studios are making more and more movies without film. Still it is another consideration to take into account. From my perspective I would rather start with the sharpest image I can get because I can always reduce it easily using video processing in front of the projector if its too sharp.
post #198 of 9210 Old 08-25-2009, 06:53 AM

Your post are excellent advice American Steamer.Very informative.Need more post like yours here.You allmost have me ready to buy a 8100'I use a AX200 and really like it.I want my next fp to really be a nice upgrade for my new HT room.I just have to wait to see what comes out soon. Your insight is greatly appreciated.Thanks BOB
post #199 of 9210 Old 08-25-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaresMachine View Post

I used Provantage.com. In stock, quick shipping and best price I could find. Highly recommended.

L
post #200 of 9210 Old 08-25-2009, 11:51 AM

Just to clarify since this model initially was sold to specialty dealers, is the Viewsonic warranty in effect if we purchase from these online dealers?
post #201 of 9210 Old 08-25-2009, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'd look for a store with the bing cashback. It's crazy not to use it... just my .02
post #202 of 9210 Old 08-25-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1908 View Post

I'd look for a store with the bing cashback. It's crazy not to use it... just my .02

There are very limited sites for bing. Checked it out and none worked for me. Got better deal without it.
post #203 of 9210 Old 08-25-2009, 12:47 PM

I've watched a few full blu-rays since setting up my Pro8100: 21 (the blackjack counting cards movie), Open Season 1, and I Robot. All watched on a 98" screen and heard with lossless audio. Wow. I never thought I'd have my own movie theater in-house. Ceiling mount arrived today, so I'll get the mammoth off the coffee table by tomorrow.
post #204 of 9210 Old 08-25-2009, 03:31 PM

Awesome man, If you don't mind me asking. Did the black levels bother you at all when you were watching ? Did you think it was kind of gray ?

Also, how about the digital noise ? Did you notice it being more than normal ?

I honestly haven't owned a projector before but if you did, it would be nice if you could post a quick comparison.

My projector got shipped yesterday!
post #205 of 9210 Old 08-25-2009, 05:13 PM

Hello buddahead -

Thank you. I appreciate your pat on the back. One of the major challenges for amateurs like us in setting up a home theater is that we have no way of knowing what we do not know, until we either discover it ourselves, or someone shares their experience with us. A lot of good people did it for me, so passing it on just feels right to me.

Bob, my compliments on planing your new home theater. You have good projector for clarifying what you want going forward. It is a lot of fun and a major learning curve to get the best results for a home theater. People that take the time learn enough to make sure their "Musts and Wants" are covered to the extent possible seem to get the most pleasure from their theaters. Maybe it is the pride of authorship, but I think it is also related to having worked hard to put it all together. It is kicks working around obstacles to get the best each of us can within the limits of our budget, available space, and available time for the project.

LOL - are you sure you do not want me to convince you to buy a new Pro8100 for your new home theater Bob? ;D J/K - I do not sell hardware but always keen to compare products and TO JUMP on a sale for superior value proposition like this one.

Bob, enjoy planning your new home theater and again thank you.

Rodney
post #206 of 9210 Old 08-25-2009, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

it is my understanding that the major problem with these pro8100's, is the automatic iris "yo-yo effect". it is said that it is noticable.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #207 of 9210 Old 08-25-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post

it is my understanding that the major problem with these pro8100's, is the automatic iris "yo-yo effect". it is said that it is noticable.

The 2.5/2.51 firmware update resolved that issue for most people.

My favorite movie for seeing the impact of my tweaks is the Fifth Element, which I have now watched three or four times on the Pro8100 so far without any problems in this area. I think that is meaningful because I am not actually watching the movie, but checking to be sure my adjustment tweaks are what I want. I have seen this movie at least 50 times checking the adjustment to my projectors and memorized most of it.

I have seen the iris pump once in credits at the end of one of the movies we watched here that was unusual. Instead of scrolling the credits they went in half second to three-quarter second from a total black screen to a credit screen with large text, and then back to the total black screen. This is the only scenario where we have noticed obvious pumping or going back and forth from the iris.

The iris seems fast and very stable in doing its job for me. I have been consciously looking for an overshoot where the irs opens or closes too much and then adjusts back a tad and not seen it yet in almost 30 hours of viewing.

The Pro8100 is easy on my eyes. I can watch movies for 6 hours straight without any eye fatigue which I think would show up if there was a lot of pumping or a "yo-yo effect" because my eyes would be working overtime to adjust the light.

I can say definitively neither pumping or the yo-yo effect is noticeable in my unit except in the scenario I mentioned above with the credit screens alternating between total black and credit text at a very fast pace which is really what it is suppose to do, but even in this scenario it wad not overshooting the target and moving back prematurely.

Enough people have the machines now with the updated firmware to give you more feedback. I think somewhere I saw a post by someone saying he though his unit had that problem, Nevertheless, this complaint was initially from several of the reviewers with version 1.5 software.

Let's see what we hear back from the other guys.

By the way congratulations to all of you out there that have been able to avail yourselves on short notice of this windfall deal on the Pro8100. I look forward to seeing more comments and hearing your impressions.
post #208 of 9210 Old 08-25-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePotato View Post

I've watched a few full blu-rays since setting up my Pro8100: 21 (the blackjack counting cards movie), Open Season 1, and I Robot. All watched on a 98" screen and heard with lossless audio. Wow. I never thought I'd have my own movie theater in-house. Ceiling mount arrived today, so I'll get the mammoth off the coffee table by tomorrow.

Sounds like you are having a blast with the Pro8100. LOL.

It also sounds like you are going to be struggling to turn the projector off to mount it. hahah nice problem to have ;D

Congratulations!!!
post #209 of 9210 Old 08-26-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanStreamer View Post

The 2.5/2.51 firmware update resolved that issue for most people.

By the way congratulations to all of you out there that have been able to avail yourselves on short notice of this windfall deal on the Pro8100. I look forward to seeing more comments and hearing your impressions.

I've had this PJ a year and a half now and I'm still very pleased with the picture. And as I wrote here some time ago the Firmaware update fixes the auto-iris issue.

AmericanStreamer, thanks for your great posts. It would be nice to know what setup values you ended up with your tweaking... are you using PCS, I just LOVE it

Without movies... there's no life...
post #210 of 9210 Old 08-26-2009, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
AmericanStreamer,

Great post. I was looking into the VS 8100 also, but decided to go with the RS2. After 7 or 8 PJs in the last 7 years, I finally decided to stay put for a while. Knowing myself, I would regret for not buying the RS2 and would trade in the 8100 after 1 year. Wife is getting tire of all the PJs coming in and out, never mind the stream of DVD players (Panny, Oppo, Toshiba HD).

For SD DVD, the improvement of the RS2 is small comparing to my Epson 400/Mitsu HC3000 other than contrast and depth, but watching Blade Runner in HD was awesome, in glorious 1080p and soundtrack to go along.

In the end, we're all way too picky over minutia. Screendoor was never a problem in any of these PJs, sitting at 2x distance. Each reviewer has his own bias. Just enjoy the movies/sports or whatever. Like you said, we all could use a better screen, at least that is my next upgrade.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pro8100 Full Hd 1080p Home Theater Projector , Viewsonic
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page