Old lift, modern projector - how to mount? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-07-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to help my father upgrade his home theater. He has a ceiling lift currently housing a really old Sony CRT (VPW-1040Q or something like that?) that can't even do 480P.

From what I remember, the projector has fold out mounting brackets that are used to hang the projector from a crossbar in the lift frame. But after looking some modern day projectors, I don't see similar mount points.

Do I need to find a way to hang a new projector upside down, or would it be as simple as putting a sturdy piece of plywood into the frame and sit the projector right-side up?

I haven't picked a PJ yet - thinking of an InFocus 777 since the room is not light controlled, though splurging for a bright 1080P model is a possibilty. (I'll probably post later once I've created a short list).

Thanks,

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-08-2007, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
pic would help - a CRT lift should be large enough for the majority of digital projectors. There are all kinds of projector mounts, I think you could make something work - look into flush mounts.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-08-2007, 03:04 PM

Plexiglass is a good choice for retro fitting a projector to an existing mount. Drill the holes wherever you need them. Since it's clear it isn't very noticeable from below and you can find it at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. You will need to flip the projector upside down if it's ceiling mounted.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Scott,

This is off topic, but you might notice my user name. I have a brother named Scott. First time I have ever seen another Scott Lehman.

Stace
post #5 of 7 Old 11-08-2007, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects View Post

pic would help - a CRT lift should be large enough for the majority of digital projectors. There are all kinds of projector mounts, I think you could make something work - look into flush mounts.

I can't get a pic that easily right now, and couldn't find one on the web that looked like it. I think it'll be fine as size goes, but I'm worried about the available mounting points. It is a lift that holds the projector internally - when it's up, the projector is out of sight, which how I'd like to keep it.

I've seen flush mounts for various projectors, but they are all designed to fasten to the bottom of a flat surface like a ceiling - there is no such surface like that in the lift.

I was hoping digital projectors might be more flexible and not have to be inverted for ceiling installation, but if that's not the case, then I probably have to create some mounting surface.

Scott
post #6 of 7 Old 11-11-2007, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlehman View Post

Scott,

This is off topic, but you might notice my user name. I have a brother named Scott. First time I have ever seen another Scott Lehman.

It's been pretty rare to run into another Lehman for me, period! Guess I'm not unique after all
post #7 of 7 Old 11-11-2007, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Some of the projectors I'm looking at list an image offset of 50%. Doesn't that imply I can have the projector upright so long as it's within the vertical range of the screen, even if it's the top of the screen?

That would eliminate the issue of having to create a surface to mount the projector inverted.

Scott
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page