Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

Kevin 3000,
Can you post your settings on your RS10(350) your pics are looking much better.

Thanks,
Scott

Sure here you are my lamp hours 271 just give us your thoughts when you enter the numbers on your machine........

contrast 0
brightness -3
color 0
tint -3
gamma normal
sharpness where you like it
aperature 3 lamp normal

color temp custom 1
red 0
green -18
blue -81
offset red -1
offset green -1
offset blue 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 03:52 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks,
I'll try tonight.

Scott
Old 01-27-2009, 08:43 PM

what is up with the epson 6500 screen shots i no you are out there
Old 01-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Panasonic DMP-BD55, JVC DLA-HD750, 100" Screen Goo screen, THX mode, Normal Lamp mode, 117 hours on lamp, Iris -15, Mid throw, table mounted projector at middle of screen height, Nikon D40X, and Canon G10.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just a few random ones.
Epson 1080UB, Da-Lite 106" HCMW screen
Canon A60 2MP point ansd shoot

The two shots of the birds aren't sharp in the source material, that's why they aren't so sharp. I intentionally set my Camera exposure so that the black level looked realistic and like what I see at home. The black level in these photos might be a tad darker than real life, but very close.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

THE SHINING 720P
HD-350 - PS3 - GRAYWOLF 2 120"
CANON POWERSHOT SX1 IS

Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Just a few random ones.

The two shots of the birds aren't sharp in the source material, that's why they aren't so sharp. I intentionally set my Camera exposure so that the black level looked realistic and like what I see at home. The black level in these photos might be a tad darker than real life, but very close.

Thank you for doing that! I think it is refreshing to see an honest representation of what these projectors will look like in the home environment.
Sure, "beautifying" your screenshot is fun and all but I find it to be as helpful as those that post a screen capture and try to pawn it off as a screenshot.

I commend you on your forthright posting! And they STILL look great, BTW!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spankenstein View Post

Thank you for doing that! I think it is refreshing to see an honest representation of what these projectors will look like in the home environment.
Sure, "beautifying" your screenshot is fun and all but I find it to be as helpful as those that post a screen capture and try to pawn it off as a screenshot.

I commend you on your forthright posting! And they STILL look great, BTW!

I find that these screenshots only look somewhat accurate if I'm looking at my computer monitor in a completely dark room. Otherwise, the blacks get lost and you can't tell how the black level really looks in the photos. I have to admit that looking at my pictures, even though I tried to get the black level accurate, the photos look better than real life regarding black level. It's not as dark as the pictures would make it seem. The color and brightness seem accurate to me though.

Even with the Epson 1080UB, with it's excellent black level, the black bars on movies can be seen but they are very dark.

I'll try to post some more pictures tonight and have them look as accurate as possible.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are some more shots.

The black level in these photos might be a tad darker than real life, but close. Color has not been touched. I simply set the 2MP point and shoot Canon A60 to daylight mode.

Tinkerbell:

Prince Caspian

Transformers:

Dan
Old 01-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Here are some more "beautified" shots.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

PS3 - Greywolf 2 120" 1.8 Gain
HD-350 280 lamp hours set in menu to 6500k contrast -3 color 0 brightness -1 tint -3 lamp normal iris 3 gamma b
Canon powershot SX1 IS

Old 01-31-2009, 07:04 PM

Liked: 11
Here are a couple of screen shots on my new Elite screen, from 007 on blu-ray

[img]
Old 01-31-2009, 07:09 PM

Here are a few from Explorer on Discovery HD

[img]
Old 02-01-2009, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Matts
What hardware you using PJ mode Camera your shots capture all the right things..
Old 02-01-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000 View Post

Matts
What hardware you using PJ mode Camera your shots capture all the right things..

Oops, sorry about that. I guess it would have helped if I had mentioned that important stuff, lol.

PJ: Marantz VP11S1
Source: Pioneer BDP-05 blu-ray player
Screen: Elite EZ Frame 92" 16:9, cinema white 1.1 gain screen
Old 02-01-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Didn't you use to have mits hc6500 ? If so, how does that compare to marantz?
Old 02-01-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK View Post

Didn't you use to have mits hc6500 ? If so, how does that compare to marantz?

Oh yes I still have the Mits 6500. I love the Mits and use it a lot. The Mits was my first projector purchase, after years of Plasma and LCD sets I couldn't resist the urge to go big, with the Mits. I recently had a opportunity to purchase a refurbished Marantz 11S1 projector and set it up in a spare bedroom. I have the Mitsubishi HC6500 set up in the living room. The Marantz set up in a light controlled bedroom.

I have the Marantz set up in a room, that has three windows, and the windows have been covered with a black shades that block out the light very well. Unfortunately my walls are still, well white walls. I need to add some dark material to the walls and ceilings that would help even further block any light coming from the walls and ceilings shining back onto the screen.

I can say that comparing the Mits and the Marantz is really a un fair comparison. The Marantz simply brings out every detail from it's source that can be brought out. And sometimes that can be a problem. If the source material is not great the Marantz will really let you know it. If something is shot slightly out of focus, it will be amplified with the Marantz. The Mitsubishi is a little more forgiving with lackluster material.

The Mitsubishi is brighter than the Marantz and can handle slightly larger screens, though with my 92 inch screen for the Marantz, I really could go larger. The colors between the two projectors are also little contest. The Marantz colors are very close to accurate, where as the Mitsubishi has some of the most vivid, saturated colors I have seen. Video processing is probably a wash. Silicon Optics versus Gennum VXP are both excellent solutions. I can say for whatever reason that standard def satellite channels do seem to look better on the Marantz than on the Mitsubishi. Although this could be more so due to the better optics on the Marantz than any knock against Silicon Optics Reon processing.

Contrast and blacks. You know I really thought that the Mits had great contrast and blacks, even though the contrast full on/off spec of just 15,000:1 would suggest that maybe the contrast was still below the level of other newer projectors that have much higher contrast using auto iris, and those like the JVC that have much higher contrast and don't use any auto or dynamic iris. The Marantz is in the boat of having no auto iris, and only two manual iris adjustments (F3.0 and F6.0) with the former iris setting giving you a little more light output, versus the F6.0 which will lower the black level. After going back and forth the other night between the two projectors, I find that the Mitsubishi, with the iris engaged, could go a little darker is some scenes where there was mostly dark information on the screen. However, when there was a good mix of light and dark information in the scene, it was no contest, the Marantz, to me eyes, simply had the most 3D look, and dynamic pop to the picture.

Shadow detail, forget about it. I could write for days on the level of detail the Marantz produces in very difficult and dark scenes. I can see fine detail in dark shirts and hats that I never have seen before. The Marantz can show so many shades of gray that I am almost always amazed. The Mitsubishi loses a bit of shadow detail, most due to the auto iris imitations.

I am not RBE sensitive. So to me going DLP from LCD was no major debate. I like both of these projectors, and occasionally like the extra pop and saturation that the Mitsubishi gives me. But there is something to be said that when watching movies on the Marantz, they just look right, or maybe they seem to look like they did in the theater when I first saw them.

So far I have been impressed beyond words by how nice both the Mitsubishi and the Marantz projector have been. I really like both of them. Best of both worlds.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

What about the motion blur comparison between them?
Old 02-01-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:

What about the motion blur comparison between them?

To be honest CADOBHuK I never really noticed motion blur when viewing on the Mits. Obviously it is there, but I just never found it to be an issue where I said to myself, "Whoa that is really blurry." Though others do find it very distracting. I can say that the Marantz is very clean almost all of the time when it is dealing with movements, and long pans, etc. When I watched some of the NFL Network (HD) last night, they were showing highlights of games, I found the picture to be void of any blur to my eyes. Fast pans down the field, camera tracking ball in the air, etc., all looked very sharp and clean to me. Again I might be the wrong person to ask here as I never had an issue with blur on the the Mitsubishi HC6500, or for that matter any of the LCD flat panels I have owned.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I've owned the hc6000 and I was bothered by the motion blur, to the extent that I would be much happier if it was removed. Whenever I watched Planet Earth BD all those aerial pans over snow covered forests or jungle smeared all the details until I paused the movie. I hope a DLP pj will give me a sharp and clear pans and motion.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:

I've owned the hc6000 and I was bothered by the motion blur, to the extent that I would be much happier if it was removed. Whenever I watched Planet Earth BD all those aerial pans over snow covered forests or jungle smeared all the details until I paused the movie. I hope a DLP pj will give me a sharp and clear pans and motion.

I sympathize with you CADOBHUK. I have never been that sensitive to motion blur, but I can definitely understand how it could really bother someone who is. Most DLP's I have looked at, and I have really only demoed single chippers, have all been very sharp and very smooth to the eyes when the camera moves fast or slow.

I have heard many people here on the AVS community talk about convergence problems with both three chip LCD, LCOS, and DLP projectors, and how one chip DLP's are almost always inherently sharper. I wanted to say that I never find myself, while watching my Mitsubishi HC6500, noticing any convergence errors even up close at the screen. So to me I don't necessarily think that only one chip DLP projectors can be sharp or the sharpest. I still think the Mitsubishi HC6500 is one of the sharper projectors I have seen.

And finally one more thing I wanted to correct from a couple post back. I did not mean to imply that the Marantz is dim or can't handle any room light. It can handle some room light, and I have even watched some material with the lamp on in the room. I just meant that best performance and contrast comes from a dark light controlled room.

Here are a few photos with different room light: (Please ignore my Stone Cold Steve Austin throw covering the window for the moment. I need one more black shade. Sorry Stone Cold but I had to sacrifice you for this purpose.)

The first pic is with all lights in the room on

This pic the overhead lights are off, but bright corner lamp (out of view) is turned on: (sorry about the focus, not on tripod.)

Projector is bookshelf installed a little more than 12 feet from screen:
Old 02-02-2009, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

PJ : IN80
A few Good men on Blu ray. Very good quality. Colours and shadow detail in screenshots are not as good as in real

Old 02-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

A FEW FROM HARRY POTTER
HD-350 - PS3 GRAYWOLF 2 120" 1.8 GAIN
CANON SX1 IS

Old 02-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Latest bond pics at 6500k settings HD-350 etc etc.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:12 PM

Excellent shots anirbana,

The IN80 never fails to impress me. I really like how clean your shots come out. I have to start using my Canon 40D SLR again.

Kevin 3000,

Nice shots of the HD350. A couple of those shots are reach out and touch. Very impressive.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:47 PM

From Marantz VP11S1
Source: Pioneer BDP-05FD
Screen: Elite EZ Frame 92 inch

I Am Legend (BD)

The Simpsons Movie (BD)

Old 02-03-2009, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post

Excellent shots anirbana,
The IN80 never fails to impress me. I really like how clean your shots come out. I have to start using my Canon 40D SLR again.

Thanks Matt. SLR s are definitely better in this area of noise free images. But the main trick is to have the ISO to the lowest value possible. I use 100. I do not use noise reduction on camera as it ruins the image.

If you take shots with your SLR, you can get shots that are close to what you see. But getting the right colour and shadow detail on camera shots are the challenges.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:45 AM

Benq W5000, PS3, DIY 100" Screen(was 110")

Hulk Bluray

Jason
Old 02-03-2009, 08:48 AM

Hulk Bluray

Jason
Old 02-03-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring69 View Post

Hulk Bluray

Jason, the BenQ looks AMAZINGLY sharp, dare I say sharper than the JVCs, Sony's and the Epsons. I am starting to notice that most high end single chip DLPs as of recently are looking a EXTREMELY shaper and more detailed, with more eye popping colors! I just dont know how flexible they are with ceiling placement and low clearance. I have an 8ft ceiling, however there is a huge soffit in the center (HVAC runs) that bring the clearance down to 7ft, so I have to use a 13"-14" long ceiling mount to bring the center of the lens a couple of inches below that soffit.

I was in the market for either a JVC RS20 or a much less expensive Epson 7500ub, based on strong black level, colors, and contrasts on both. But your pictures are so colorful and sharp, I am having second doubts