Show us your screenshots!! - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3000 Old 03-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey Ian_Currie, that's not fair. I was all excited about posting some pics from my new Pioneer Pro FPJ1 next week.

Formerly known as J--- H----. Member since 11/2002. My real name was showing up in Google too much!

What we have heah...is a failyah to communicate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3000 Old 03-08-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post

Hey Ian_Currie, that's not fair. I was all excited about posting some pics from my new Pioneer Pro FPJ1 next week.

Well, look at this way. My pics came out overly red for some reason (not that way on screen though). You can probably take some much better shots. :-)
post #903 of 3000 Old 03-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post

Well, look at this way. My pics came out overly red for some reason (not that way on screen though). You can probably take some much better shots. :-)

A little red or not, I can tell that's a bad-ass projector. I don't get to see many 3-chippers.

Formerly known as J--- H----. Member since 11/2002. My real name was showing up in Google too much!

post #904 of 3000 Old 03-08-2009, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow Chris, makes me want to get sick!

Very nice setup!
post #905 of 3000 Old 03-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Ian_Currie

I just drooled on my laptop when I was thinking about your projector.
post #906 of 3000 Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

A little red or not, I can tell that's a bad-ass projector. I don't get to see many 3-chippers.

Yeah we don't see too many 3 chipper shots here. Nice Ian. I see you use a D80 (Nikon i guess). I use a D40x. It may be worth checking the colour mode on the camera. I found a particular setting on the camera boosts saturation and another uses more natural ones like what you see.

I watched few scenes of Baraka in the weekend. What a Blu ray. Amazing...stunning .....truly fantastic. It looks like images are real and can be touched ....I was watching it on my Movie setting at low IRIS. I think it would look better with some different setting since it is a documentary. Some screenis I took while scanning the disc. Still need to watch it. Will reshooot with more images with a different setting.

post #907 of 3000 Old 03-09-2009, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Anirbana, I see we have similar cameras. I have a Nikon D50 DSLR. I've made note of some of your photo settings the last week or so such as app setting and exposure time. Mine has an indefinite shutter setting but I don't have a remote to control it. I didn't even know that until a couple of weeks ago. I used to do some astrophotograhpy with an old fully manual Pentax K1000. I used it with a 12" reflector. For that kind of shooting, it was perfect. You could open the shutter as long as you needed. I still have it and it's in mint condition. It is all metal and weighs about the same as a nice brick

post #908 of 3000 Old 03-09-2009, 05:37 AM

This thread depresses the hell out of me. I have an Infocus 7205 with a Dalite HCCV screen which looks just awful compared to all these screenshots. All these screenshots are so colourful and offer very high contrast.

Have projectors moved on that much?
post #909 of 3000 Old 03-09-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Anirbana and Limulus: I'm a total noob when it comes to cameras. It was in fact a Nikon D80 (my wife's) and it took me way too long to even get it to TAKE a picture without the flash . :-)

I ended up using manual mode and changing the white balance to 6700 (there was no 6500 setting) but other than that I didn't change anything.

If you guys wouldn't mind telling me a few settings to try (or point me to the info) I would appreciate it and contribute more to this thread!

Those Baraka shots are incredible!

Thanks,
ian
post #910 of 3000 Old 03-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Limulus,

The Nikon D50 can set different shutter settings just like the D40x or any other DSLR. Do not use the bulb mode for indefinite shutter.

Ian,
Thanks for your kind words. Baraka is amazing to view.

I published a photo taking instructions earlier in this thread. I have simplified the technique further by going full manual as all other settings either offer too dark or too punchy image. Most flash off modes will show a more vibrant image than you really see.
Here is my revised technique and I am happy to say it does work to some extent (other than colour and shadow detail which I think is beyond my limit or the camera’s limit.
What I do? With Nikon D40x. The same can be done on any DSLR or compacts

Please refer to the LCD view that can be used with ease every camera has one. I noticed this very recently and how this helps.

1. Use manual mode – M (the same can be done in Aperture (F)or Shutter (S) mode as well wher you change one and the camera adjusts the other) I prefer manual.
2. Use F number where you get the sharpest natural shot from the camera. In my case it is F7.1 or F8
3. Set the shutter speed (S) to 2 sec to start with.
4. Now point the camera towards the scene you are shooting. You will immediately see that camera is trying to set the exposure based on your setting (refer to the image) and based on scene the line shifts between + and -.

a. It could be +ve (more lines at the left of zero) meaning overexposed
b. It could be –ve (more lines at the left of zero) meaning underexposed
c. In the image above it shows that at 1 sec shutter and F5.6 the image the camera is pointing to will be overexposed.

5. Now turn the shutter speed dial slowly till you see the LCD display showing the balanced graded ruler at 0 and not in the +ve or –ve side. This will mean the camera is getting the right light for the settings you have chosen. You are ready to shoot.
6. Optional Step -Now comes a setting you may have to do on your own if you know your camera well.

a. If by default you know that your camera overexposes image, set the shutter speed to one step lower than 2 sec – say 1.6 sec so that that LCD displays one or two lines on the –ve side
b. If by default you know that your camera underexposes image, set the shutter speed to one step higher than 2 sec – say 2.5 sec so that that LCD displays one or two lines on the +ve side

7. Now shoot the image. Most likely you will get a good shot.

Few things to remember
1. While using any mode,

a. A low F number takes more light from the source and hence image may turn out more vibrant than you see and may also introduce white crush or bloom. And is not sharp from corner to corner.
b. A high F number closes the camera’s aperture and takes less light adding black crush. Your shots may turn dark. Normally sharper at all corners.

2. In manual mode the balance on the exposure ruler will help to resolve the too dark or too bright shots but a right F number will assure a sharp image.
3. Do not sharpen the image outside the camera.
4. Don’t expect as is shot from your camera. The Camera is as intelligent as it is made and hence has limitations and cannot capture what you see in real.
5. Metering of the camera is the most important feature and different camera use different methods. Please remember when you are shooting with only the image in full frame you may actually get it well metered as the camera will not meter the adjoining dark areas. However if your shot has some adjoining areas in frame the camera will compensate the exposure to capture the dark area as well making your main image bit washed out or too vibrant. Most long shots posted shows this and the PJ image appears more like a LCD / Plasma TV. So shoot with at least the complete image width in your frame.
6. For colors, leave it there just as it is and just mention that colors are not as they appear on the shot. My shots bias blue and pink and I know that and mention it everytime. I need to work a customised proper white balance setting.

Hope this helps. I am just trying to help here. Posting shots are fun but a little bit of getting it as close is not a bad idea if you have time and you want to play around to get that. Having said that do not judge a camera by screenshots. Ask the poster if it really represents his image
post #911 of 3000 Old 03-09-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noshandy View Post

Yes its the same just the UK version.

Shiznit, have you calibrated your CMS? This shot looks great compared to mine, much more natural. I have calibrated my CMS and it looks way oversaturated in this shot.

Is it just the material?

What do you guys think?

I didn't notice at first but look at the difference in eye colour.

Uma has green eyes.
post #912 of 3000 Old 03-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Uma has green eyes.

Well spotted.
post #913 of 3000 Old 03-09-2009, 11:08 AM

I made some picture with bluray and 1080p from laptop
pic1 pic2 pic3
pic4 pic5 pic6
pic7 pic8 pic9
pic10 pic11 pic12
pic13 pic14 pic15
pic16 pic17[/quote]

PROJECTOR :JVC (3D)DLA-X3 ,SCREEN: BYDIUM 108" FIX FRAME ,RECEIVER :ONKYO TX-SR876 , MEDIAPLAYER :DUNE SMART D1
SPEAKERS :front: JBL STUDIO L890, rear: JBL STUDIO L830, center: JBL STUDIO LC1
post #914 of 3000 Old 03-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Uma has green eyes.

I noticed this immediately and wondered why the difference myself between our screenshots in her eye color...

But even though it says Uma has green eyes, every single picture I have seen of Uma shows that she indeed has the same color eyes as what I posted in my screenshot..
post #915 of 3000 Old 03-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiznit View Post

I noticed this immediately and wondered why the difference myself between our screenshots in her eye color...

But even though it says Uma has green eyes, every single picture I have seen of Uma shows that she indeed has the same color eyes as what I posted in my screenshot..

Well, I just checked it on my laptop and in both VLC and MPC it shows as bluish green but less saturated. The third one is from my laptop. It is not captured by camera so it shows as it is.

You guys need to take the camera's colour into account as well. Like the colour of blood also is different in each.

Don't know which one is accurate though.

Will see how it looks on the PJ later.

No CMS

Rec709

VLC snapshot on PC
post #916 of 3000 Old 03-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Anirbana,
Thanks for the camera setting details.

post #917 of 3000 Old 03-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anirbana,
Thanks for the camera setting details.

No problem. Let me know if it works.
post #918 of 3000 Old 03-09-2009, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Trying anirbana's suggestions on the camera

RS20, 150" width 2.35:1 screen LX3 camera

Cheers
Chris

Sony VPL-VW500ES, 150" width 2.35:1 screen, Proud owner of 1 of 399 Enzo Ferrari's in the world, a gorgeous yellow Ferrari 599GTB, + a 1970 Road Runner see it here

post #919 of 3000 Old 03-10-2009, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Cracking shots Chris. Your RS20 is one of the sharpest I have seen. Awesome.

Just a suggestion - If you try 1 step up on the shutter you can capture more shadow detail and the colour saturation will be slightly less making it more natural. But don't bother if you like the way it looks now as some settings are personal preferences.

Keep posting...

Ani
post #920 of 3000 Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Anirbana: just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to tutor us on taking screenshots. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but will soon.
post #921 of 3000 Old 03-10-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Chris,
What mode/settings are you using w/ your RS20? Seems to be some Red Push going on (unless it's my monitor)
post #922 of 3000 Old 03-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Chris,
What mode/settings are you using w/ your RS20? Seems to be some Red Push going on (unless it's my monitor)

Could be his camera as well. It is like a pink tinge something which my camera adds as well. but with Chris's it appears very strong.
post #923 of 3000 Old 03-10-2009, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Chris,

It's not on the screen, don't know how to correct it in camera & I don't touch the pics thereafter they are straight from the camera..too bad because they look much better in person. A lot of people have the same problem with taking photos, at least us inexperienced ones.

Cheers
Chris

Sony VPL-VW500ES, 150" width 2.35:1 screen, Proud owner of 1 of 399 Enzo Ferrari's in the world, a gorgeous yellow Ferrari 599GTB, + a 1970 Road Runner see it here

post #924 of 3000 Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dallas View Post

It's not on the screen, don't know how to correct it in camera & I don't touch the pics thereafter they are straight from the camera..too bad because they look much better in person. A lot of people have the same problem with taking photos, at least us inexperienced ones.

Chris, as I mentioned in my mini tutorial, the color issue is not because of how you take the photograph using the camera. Every camera has their own colour processing. The same shot side by side taken by two makes of camera would look different and none may represent the real color.

As I said, it is better to leave it as it is. All my shots have a pinkish tinge and stronger blue whereas in real they appear much natural and balanced. But I do not know how to correct those fully and won't do that as well since I need to exactly replicate the colour as I see on my projector which is not only difficult and requires skills which I or most of us do not have and also not worth spending the time.

There are three ways to reduce color issues while taking your shots

1. Use the right white balance on your camera. this is so important for screenshots. In most cases you may be using auto which works for most makes but with some it messes the colors.
2. If there is a custom white balance mode, use that by first actvitaing the control on camera by taking a shot of a pure white subject as you see. I have started using a custom white balance by taking the white screen of my PJ by sending a white no signal screen. Well that helped me reduce the pink effect to some extent but it is still there as the white balance preset pic I took is not reference quality to start with. I need to take a perfect white reference. So you can try the custom white balance.
3. Shoot in raw and do not let the camera add it's own processing and see if it matches what you see on screen. I thought of doing that but I do not have any image editing software like photoshop that can work with raw files.

Reading all these may seem complex but it is quite simple unles you are as lazy as me preaching things and not doing myself...

or best way,

don't worry about colour at all. no one is judging your PJ seeing your shots. The ultimate satisfcation is with you anyway so why bother and just have plain fun...
post #925 of 3000 Old 03-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Use White A4 paper for White balance if needed....

HD-350 Speed Racer HTPC Canon SX1

post #926 of 3000 Old 03-10-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Great pics everyone!

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #927 of 3000 Old 03-10-2009, 08:47 AM

Evaluating the last three pages made me repeat what I have concluded in my mind before: The DLP picture lords over the D-ILA and even the ultra-expensive 3-chip DLP. The D-ILA is just qualifably inferior, as if the look is culled from a VHS tape of a 1970s movie, unrestored & grimy. The 3-chip DLP has one fatal technological drawback - mis-convergence.

Why would we pay more for those technologies when a machine with a retrogressive, cost-cutting "let-down" called the Darkchip 1 - unflinchingly delivers all resolvable details, brings out the most-natural looking color and will be selling likely soon in the neighborhood of $1,500?

This is one rare instance when both my eyesight and my wallet met towards a common verdict: DLP is beautiful.....
post #928 of 3000 Old 03-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000 View Post

Use White A4 paper for White balance if needed....

Kevin, I wish if it was that easy. The manufacturer would have included that in that case. We have 3 different types of A4 size paper in office and if you look at them separately all appear perfect white but place them side by side and one looks warmer, one slightly bluish and one looks in between making me think that it is the whitest one. But throw another bundle of diff spec and I may start thinking again.

That's why I said if you want to reduce the inaccuracies from your camera, you may have to invest some time and experiement otherwise post as it is and enjoy the thread...

the other factor of course is not camera but someone else's own setting and their preference of colours. It is just their choice. We may not like it but as long as the owner is satisfied the purpose is met.

My wife likes saturated colors and I have a preset for that and I turn it on when we watch together. You guys may puke seeing that but it is someones preference.
post #929 of 3000 Old 03-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
[quote=anirbana;16008784]Kevin, I wish if it was that easy. The manufacturer would have included that in that case. We have 3 different types of A4 size paper in office and if you look at them separately all appear perfect white but place them side by side and one looks warmer, one slightly bluish and one looks in between making me think that it is the whitest one. But throw another bundle of diff spec and I may start thinking again.

That's why I said if you want to reduce the inaccuracies from your camera, you may have to invest some time and experiement otherwise post as it is and enjoy the thread...

This is taken from my Canons Manual white cloth is also mentioned...

Using the Custom White Balance
Take a custom white balance (Custom) reading for the following
situations that are difficult for the (Auto) setting to detect
correctly.
Shooting subjects of monotone color (such as sky, sea or forest)
Shooting with a particular source of light (such as a mercury-vapor
lamp)
Shooting close-ups (Macro)
1 Select .
1. Press the button.
2. Use the or button to
select and use the or
button to select .
2 Aim the camera at a
piece of white paper
or cloth and press
the DISP. button.
Ensure that the LCD monitor
(or the viewfinder) is
completely filled with the
white image. Please note, however, that the center frame will
not display when the digital zoom is used or when is
displayed.
3 Press the button.
post #930 of 3000 Old 03-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Kevin,

My manual and possible every camera manual says something very similar. But following a manual for this task does not guarantee accuracy which was the point in my post. It is just instructions.

The important factor here is which white paper or cloth you would consider as proper white? and hence the selection is more clinical than just selecting a cloth or paper.

Same like preparing a recipe. Ask everyone to follow a recipe. The one which uses the best ingredients will get it best even though everyone follows the same instruction. Selecting the best ingredient is the key.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page