Show us your screenshots!! - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 AM
Member
 
holmern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Seems like my BluRay player is the only one that gets blurry when paused.

holmern is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-16-2013, 08:15 AM
Senior Member
 
paolino64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florence Italy
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
JVC RS15 OPPO 93 Darbee Nikon D70





paolino64 is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
plasmaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Don't have any pics but here are a few videos I made with the Sony HW50 on a 159" HP screen.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/77422147/IMG_0079.MOV
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/77422147/IMG_0078.MOV
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/77422147/IMG_0080.MOV
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/77422147/IMG_0082.MOV
**These were taken with an ipad
plasmaowner is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Member
 
DrZaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Plasma owner.. Those are awesome picture quality videos. How far back is your projector mounted or on a Stand. Can you take a picture of your stand or are you using an extension mount? 159" looked awesome... Almost convinced on the 159" the gain is 2.4 on you screen. Based on the recent test...1.8 to 2.0 Are you seeing any hotspots?
DrZaus is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 10:26 PM
Senior Member
 
plasmaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
plasmaowner is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 12:46 AM
Member
 
DrZaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaowner View Post

Thanks. I don't see any hotspots on my screen. I don't think HP screens have that issue. I was lucky to get one of the last 2.8 screens.

Here are a few more vids

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/77422147/IMG_0088.MOV
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/77422147/IMG_0089.MOV
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/77422147/IMG_0093.MOV
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/77422147/IMG_0094.MOV
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/77422147/IMG_0096.MOV
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/77422147/IMG_0097.MOV

How did you mount or display your projector, everyone is saying using the hp requires projector at eye level..?
DrZaus is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 02:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
Shan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
To get the full 2.8 gain, you need the projector lens as close to eye-level as possible because the screen is retro-reflective. That said, you will still get significant gain if the projector is ceiling mounted. When I used the HP in my theater I got about 1.7 gain with the projector ceiling mounted.

Shan
Shan is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Member
 
Iam74Gibson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

To get the full 2.8 gain, you need the projector lens as close to eye-level as possible because the screen is retro-reflective. That said, you will still get significant gain if the projector is ceiling mounted. When I used the HP in my theater I got about 1.7 gain with the projector ceiling mounted.

Shan

This info brings up something I have been struggling with... I am having a house built with a dedicated room for HT. I should be ready to buy around July....Right now, my plan is to get a VPL-HW50ES (unless Sony comes out with something newer) and a DALite HP 2.4 ...145" screen... the room will be 26x16x10, light controlled, but for sports, want to have some ambient light.

Projector placement is something I have been trying to figure out... So Shan, based upon your info, I would assume a 2.4 screen would be maybe be 1.4-1.5 gain if mounted on the ceiling? ( I assume your is 2.8 gain?) Would there be any other adverse effects by doing this (given the screen is retro-reflective? ) I know some of you would say "why not just get a 1.3 to 1.5 gain screen that is not retro-reflective?" Well, that is a good point, but I would not have any flexibility if it turned out to just not be bright enough... With the HP, I could work on an alternate mounting location.... with a normal 1.3 gain screen, it is what it is.

So I guess my question in a nutshell is... will a 2.4 HP screen be as good/bright as a ... let's say... 1.3 if the 2.4 is not mounted at viewer height?

Thanks
Iam74Gibson is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Shan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yes, mine was a 2.8 gain. I was losing about 40% gain by having mine ceiling mounted. If the same holds true for the 2.4, it would put you somewhere near the 1.4-1.5 mark.

For the record, the main reason I stuck with high power versus other high gain screens, like the Silverstar was that I could not afford tab tensioned and the HP did not show the waves that others often do. Oh and no hotspotting. One thing to consider with the retro-relfective screens is ceiling treatment. I painted my ceiling black because so much light was reflected back towards the ceiling...this will depend on how close you are mounted to the ceiling, of course. Worth it for the other positives of the screen fabric, IMHO.

Good luck.

Shan
Shan is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Member
 
Iam74Gibson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Yes, mine was a 2.8 gain. I was losing about 40% gain by having mine ceiling mounted. If the same holds true for the 2.4, it would put you somewhere near the 1.4-1.5 mark.

For the record, the main reason I stuck with high power versus other high gain screens, like the Silverstar was that I could not afford tab tensioned and the HP did not show the waves that others often do. Oh and no hotspotting. One thing to consider with the retro-relfective screens is ceiling treatment. I painted my ceiling black because so much light was reflected back towards the ceiling...this will depend on how close you are mounted to the ceiling, of course. Worth it for the other positives of the screen fabric, IMHO.

Good luck.

Shan

Thanks Shan, you make a good point about light reflecting back to the ceiling with this type screen... something I had not considered. I had planned to do dark gray walls and ceiling... I may end up just doing a black ceiling... thanks for the information.

PJ
Iam74Gibson is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Member
 
DrZaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How far is the pole mounted from the ceiling to get to eye level viewing?, my ceiling is about 90 inches high...
DrZaus is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Newbie
 
xico's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

xico is offline  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:57 AM
Member
 
bjohnson1123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Epson 3020


bjohnson1123 is offline  
Old 06-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Senior Member
 
paolino64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florence Italy
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
JVC RS15 OPPO 93 Darbee Nikon D70











this is my home theater
http://www.avmagazine.it/forum/79-installazioni-audio-amp-ht/140823-paolino64-ht

paolino64 is offline  
Old 06-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Member
 
yuettoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here are my screen shots....

Projector: VW1000ES
Player: PS3 1st gen.
Screen: ST130 123" 16 : 9
Camera : Olympus ZX-1







Kevin 3000 likes this.
yuettoi is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dungeon, Pillar of Eyes
Posts: 1,277
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Mitsubishi HC5, darbee@hi-def 50%. HTPC

Elix is online now  
Old 07-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
WereWolf84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 27
one screenshot is not enough biggrin.gif
WereWolf84 is online now  
Old 07-09-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dungeon, Pillar of Eyes
Posts: 1,277
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Okay biggrin.gif I will do some more later.





Elix is online now  
Old 08-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Senior Member
 
paolino64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florence Italy
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
JVC RS15 OPPO 93 Darbee Nikon D70

From OBLIVION





















this is my home theater
http://www.avmagazine.it/forum/79-installazioni-audio-amp-ht/140823-paolino64-ht

paolino64 is offline  
Old 08-20-2013, 04:00 AM
Member
 
yuettoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
More photo.











yuettoi is offline  
Old 09-17-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nashou66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: West Seneca, NY
Posts: 4,372
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Dual VDC Marquee Ultras converted to 9 inch tubes on a 13 foot wide screen CRT based Home theater.

The Blend zone is still visible. Next step is displaying each IRE and finding where the blend zone is most visible.
But there are many factors involved, Blend zone size, the gamma adjustment in the blend zone, the contrast modulation in the blend zone( hardest to adjust) and the gamma matching of both PJ's at each IRE .
Nothing works out perfectly, adjusting one affects the other. I wish TV-One would add at least 10 point
adjustability of the blend zone gamma. That would be a huge help. I sent them the request, or at least add
it to the next generation of edge blenders.

Pause blurs things a bit, it is easier to see at this large resolution.










Nashou
nashou66 is offline  
Old 09-17-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dungeon, Pillar of Eyes
Posts: 1,277
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

Dual VDC Marquee Ultras converted to 9 inch tubes on a 13 foot wide screen CRT based Home theater.
eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
I'd love to see this in person...
Elix is online now  
Old 09-17-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Noah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

Mitsubishi HC5, darbee@hi-def 50%. HTPC
Since you're running an HTPC, have you compared any software-based sharpening/enhancement to the Darbee?
Noah is offline  
Old 09-18-2013, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Andreas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

Dual VDC Marquee Ultras converted to 9 inch tubes on a 13 foot wide screen CRT based Home theater.

The Blend zone is still visible. Next step is displaying each IRE and finding where the blend zone is most visible.
But there are many factors involved, Blend zone size, the gamma adjustment in the blend zone, the contrast modulation in the blend zone( hardest to adjust) and the gamma matching of both PJ's at each IRE .
Nothing works out perfectly, adjusting one affects the other. I wish TV-One would add at least 10 point
adjustability of the blend zone gamma. That would be a huge help. I sent them the request, or at least add
it to the next generation of edge blenders.

Pause blurs things a bit, it is easier to see at this large resolution.


Nashou

It is easy to see how soft the CRT is compared to paolino64s RS15.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Andreas21 is offline  
Old 09-18-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nashou66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: West Seneca, NY
Posts: 4,372
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post

It is easy to see how soft the CRT is compared to paolino64s RS15.

Yes it is not dialed in yet very well this is the first set up after switching to 9 inch tubes. It will get real sharp once I am done.
In blending I am only running 1056x800p @72 hz so its a breeze for each PJ to resolve. its just my quick focus set up.
I had my 8 inch super sharp but the lack of Liquid coupling on those tubes made blending a bit harder due to the halo effect of AC tubes.

Plus I like the film look when watching movies, digital look fake to my eyes, flat, no depth in objects. And motion resolution is not there yet unless you spend 50k
and true black is just awesome with CRT. it great when it goes to a FTB scene and those who have digitals say uh uh !! your PJ shut off!!! then it comes blazing back on again!


Love those moments! wink.gif

PS: And I was thinking of adding the darblett, one CRT owner says it does make a perceptual difference.

nashou
nashou66 is offline  
Old 09-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Andreas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

Yes it is not dialed in yet very well this is the first set up after switching to 9 inch tubes. It will get real sharp once I am done.
In blending I am only running 1056x800p @72 hz so its a breeze for each PJ to resolve. its just my quick focus set up.
I had my 8 inch super sharp but the lack of Liquid coupling on those tubes made blending a bit harder due to the halo effect of AC tubes.

Plus I like the film look when watching movies, digital look fake to my eyes, flat, no depth in objects. And motion resolution is not there yet unless you spend 50k
and true black is just awesome with CRT. it great when it goes to a FTB scene and those who have digitals say uh uh !! your PJ shut off!!! then it comes blazing back on again!


Love those moments! wink.gif

PS: And I was thinking of adding the darblett, one CRT owner says it does make a perceptual difference.

nashou

If you think digital projectors look flat compared to your CRT, you definetly have not seen a good digital projector. I can think of many cheap SXRD, D-ILA and DLP´s having much more depth than any CRT modifyed or not.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Andreas21 is offline  
Old 09-18-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 20,317
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 611
The CRT tubes do not have the same primary points as Rec. 709. One has to filter the green and the Red and the Red tube can not be fully filtered without losing too much light. Filter the blue? It is so weak in output unfiltered, one can forget doing any filtering there.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is offline  
Old 09-18-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dungeon, Pillar of Eyes
Posts: 1,277
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post

Since you're running an HTPC, have you compared any software-based sharpening/enhancement to the Darbee?
Actually, I use ffdshow's unsharp mask filter in conjunction with Darbee and it really does a tremendous job on increasing perceived sharpness. Unsharp mask is the only software filter that I've tried that doesn't introduce ringing or other horrible artifacts. It just makes grain more visible. I can do comparison photos if you like.
On a side note, that screenshot with James sucked because I checked color on the PJ itself which has large color gamut. Watching it now on a sRGB monitor makes it look dull (which wasn't the case IRL). I'll come back with better one.
Elix is online now  
Old 09-18-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nashou66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: West Seneca, NY
Posts: 4,372
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I have seen the RS 45 and the BenQ wd 7000 both were bright as hell!!! As ell as a few other Digitals, one was a Sim 3 dark chip...I forgot the model. But they all had grey blacks and had that flat 3D look , like when you have card board cut outs placed
at different distances from you. the objects themselves have no depth even tho the overall image does. With CRT everything has depth if calibrated right. And once again no motion blur. CRT still has the best motion resolution out there, unless you get into the 5 to 6 digit price tags.


But paolino's screen shots do look great. But this is just for fun and you really can't tell from screen shots.
carry on


Athanasios
nashou66 is offline  
Old 09-18-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,691
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

I have seen the RS 45 and the BenQ wd 7000 both were bright as hell!!! As ell as a few other Digitals, one was a Sim 3 dark chip...I forgot the model. But they all had grey blacks and had that flat 3D look , like when you have card board cut outs placed
at different distances from you. the objects themselves have no depth even tho the overall image does. With CRT everything has depth if calibrated right. And once again no motion blur. CRT still has the best motion resolution out there, unless you get into the 5 to 6 digit price tags.


But paolino's screen shots do look great. But this is just for fun and you really can't tell from screen shots.
carry on


Athanasios

Please enlighten me as what "5 to 6 digit" price tag projector has better (or equal) motion resolution/handling? The best I've seen was on the Marantz VP-11S1 and it still pales in comparison to a CRT. Unless a 3 Chip DLP is a LOT better there isn't another front projection technology that can come even close to CRT.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!

For Sale: Marantz VP-15S1 1080p High End DLP Projector - $1295
Seegs108 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off