Help!! Sony Pearl VPL-VW50 died - Lamp/Cover blinking - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-24-2007, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I powered on my Denon 2308CI and my HD-A35 HD-DVD Player, then I powered on my Sony Pearl. It projected the HD-DVD player then a few seconds later it went blank; now On/Standby is lit solid red with the Lamp/Cover blinking red in 3 repetitions.

When I try to power it on now, the bulb lights up, says "Starting" in the bottom right corner then it powers off, On/Standby in Red with the Lamp/Cover blinking red in 3 repetitions.

I took the projector down off the ceiling and tried to re-seat the lamp as well as the filter housing.

The unit only has about 75 hours on the system/bulb, I bought it used from a member here on the AVSForums with 70 hours on the system/bulb.

Can anybody please help?!

Thank you,
-R

- R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-24-2007, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Inspect bulb thoroughly and make sure there isnt any damage to it. Some bulbs have been known to fail early some even earlier.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #3 of 15 Old 11-24-2007, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post

Inspect bulb thoroughly and make sure there isnt any damage to it. Some bulbs have been known to fail early some even earlier.

When I reseated the bulb, I took a look at it.. although I have no idea what to specifically look for, everything seemed fine. The lamp lights up when I first power it on, it says "Starting" but then the lamp goes off and then the light starts blinking.

Thank you.

- R
post #4 of 15 Old 11-25-2007, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I'll have to buy another lamp. Perhaps it was reset for a lower amount of hours when I bought the Pearl used from a member here, and it has much more than 70 hours on it? Maybe. Is there a way to reset the hours counter on the lamp to achieve this? Is there a way to check the total amount of hours on the projector itself?

Does anybody know the cheapest place to buy a new lamp, that is In Stock? I found ******* but they're MSRP. (Edit: I noticed that the forums blanked out the website name. Is there something bad about this retailer, or is it because they're a competitor? It has "Call" in the name of the business.)

Thank you.

- R
post #5 of 15 Old 11-26-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Even though you are the scond owner (not sure if the warranty is tarsferrable) you might want to contact Sony and complain about the bulb failure after so little time. I had a Ruby bulb go after less than 100 hours, and even though Iw as past the 90 day warranty for the bulb they still replaced it for free (although i did have to ship them the entire projector).

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #6 of 15 Old 11-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Greetings,

The blinking lamp indicator can be indicative of something other than the lamp needing replacement. Double check the trouble shooting section in the owner's manual for all the possibilities. Make sure that the air filter is not in need to cleaning and is seated properly.

To check the lamp timers previous setting and to see what the total number of hours are on the projector you will need to access the service menu.

Press the following sequence on the remote control while pointing it at the projector:

enter-enter-left-enter

A prompt appears on screen press yes.

Now bring up the system menu and scroll down to the info screen. You will now see the current lamp timer as well as the previous one (if any) as well as the total number of hours the unit has been used.

To exit the service menu press the same sequence on the remote. When prompted to enter User mode select Yes.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #7 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I am having the exact same problem with my VW-50 which has 240 hours on the bulb. My runs for about 15 minutes and looks just great then it turns itself off and blinks the same way.

Called Sony and they said it was a bulb but they only warranty them for 90-days so you gotta spend $300+ to replace it. They will not cover it under warranty. Sucks.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What does the owners manual inidicate for three blinks on that LED, in the troubleshooting section?

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
post #9 of 15 Old 01-01-2008, 01:16 PM

My pearl just started this same issue. My kids were watching a movie with no problems. About an hour later they turned it back on but the brightness was way low. They only watched for about ten minutes. When I turned it back on to see what the issue was I had no picture at all and now have the red light blinking 3 times. The one thing I noticed is that the fan is not coming on when I power it up. Does the fan not operate if the bulb is out or could it be that the fan stopped working which caused the bulb to overheat and burn out?

***Update - it appears the fan is working so I assume the unit is ready for a new bulb, even though it only has about 300 hours on it. So much for the 2000 hour lamp life! Has anyone had luck getting replacement bulbs from Sony when you have one crap out much sooner than advertised? One other note, I never received a warning that the lamp life was getting low or any other warning message. The unit was working perfectly yesterday morning, then the kids cranked it up in the afternoon noting that the brightness was way down, then I turned on the projector later that afternoon and there was nothing. Soooo, it went from perfect to nothing in one day....hmmm***

Thanks,
Jeff
post #10 of 15 Old 01-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have PM'd you.

"You've got mail!"
post #11 of 15 Old 01-01-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandysWay View Post

I powered on my Denon 2308CI and my HD-A35 HD-DVD Player, then I powered on my Sony Pearl. It projected the HD-DVD player then a few seconds later it went blank; now On/Standby is lit solid red with the Lamp/Cover blinking red in 3 repetitions.

When I try to power it on now, the bulb lights up, says "Starting" in the bottom right corner then it powers off, On/Standby in Red with the Lamp/Cover blinking red in 3 repetitions.

I took the projector down off the ceiling and tried to re-seat the lamp as well as the filter housing.

The unit only has about 75 hours on the system/bulb, I bought it used from a member here on the AVSForums with 70 hours on the system/bulb.

Can anybody please help?!

Thank you,
-R

It seems strange that these problems popped up during the 5 hours you have used the projector as compared to the 70 hours the previous owner used it. I would contact the previous owner for an explanation.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

FYI, I purchased a replacement bulb for mine because the fan was still working. THe new build did not resolve the problem. I have replaced my projector with an RS2 and will get the Sony in for service this week so they can determine what the problem is. Will post an update when I know something.

Seems there may be a defect with the design of the Pearl.

Shan
post #13 of 15 Old 01-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post

I have PM'd you.

"You've got mail!"

You titled your response with Power Supply. Is there a known issue with these or did you have the same type of issue and it was a Power Supply problem?

Shan
post #14 of 15 Old 03-10-2013, 10:34 AM

Hi Shan
I have the Sony VW50 and lately have been very similar issue. Have you tried replacing the ballast or any new updates from Sony?
Thank you so much!
post #15 of 15 Old 03-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

I ended up sending it in for service to have the Power Supply (or something...been a while) replaced and that fixed it. I sold it to a buddy about in March of '08 or so and it is still running strong.

Shan
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw50 Sxrd 1080p Home Theater Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com