Marantz VP-11S2 - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1682 Old 03-05-2008, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 589
The next break through, which has indeed been demonstrated, is projection without a screen. A holographic image, 3d, floating in space in a pitch black room.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1682 Old 03-05-2008, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdaddy67 View Post

Damn, that stuff is not cheap. Did you pay $41 for each 48"x10" piece?

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=39036059

I might try to frame around my screen but Im going to have to get it at a substantial discount. 8)

I found some cheaper stuff:

http://www.benchmarkcatalog.com/Felt_Yardage_Chart.html

With or without adhesive. Not too bad. Might have to try some out.

Cat,

It $5 plus change per foot, 45" wide. The black velvet actually looks pretty good with my steel gray walls. My philosophy with video and high end audio has always been the most expensive things in the room wins. If I spend a lot of money on toys I will try not to compromise their performance. In fact in addition to the velvet in the front part of the room I made about 20 30" by 40" fiber board covered velvet panels for the rest of the room. I used either the photostar black hole stuff or plain old velveteen from JoAnn's fabricis. I would guess that I have spent > $500 when you add it all up to give my 20k an ANSI friendly environment.
post #723 of 1682 Old 03-05-2008, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Cat, your link is for felt.

This stuff is the same black low nap velvet that Stewart and others use for their screen borders.

Be careful:

1. The adhesive will stick forever. When it was time to make my room into something that didn't cause my wife to cry I had to lay down a new sheet of 3/8" drywall over the old wall.

2. Keep your floor clear or you will trip over stuff even when the lights are on.

Dan Miller
post #724 of 1682 Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Stewart does sell the raw Velux. It comes in different widths and any length (although there is a minimum order). As Dan said, be careful it is really permanent.
post #725 of 1682 Old 03-05-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The most expensive thing in my HT is my wife. You guys have any idea what a retube job costs on one of those? Makes retubing my 9 inch liquid coupled CRT cheap.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #726 of 1682 Old 03-05-2008, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

Stewart does sell the raw Velux. It comes in different widths and any length (although there is a minimum order). As Dan said, be careful it is really permanent.

A friend wants to do something like this on his ceiling in front of his screen, but he may buy a big board to attach the material to, then attach that board to his ceiling with screws. That way he could just remove it later and fix the screw holes.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #727 of 1682 Old 03-05-2008, 07:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have toyed with putting fabric/velvet on my ceiling. It would be a pain but really that is the worst area in my room (even though it is painted black).
post #728 of 1682 Old 03-05-2008, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks for all the info, guys!

Thats a great idea, Darin.

I think that would be the best way to do it. That way I can sell it to her that if she finds it objectionable, we can take it down.
post #729 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 01:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I attempted to update the software in my BDP94 but after I finished it will no longer read a Bluray disc. Thinks it's a CD rom. So more DTV late tonight. Turned the bulb mode to eco, set the Gamma to D, and the iris to 1. Much much better blacks and the brightness is fine. It doesn't have the pop of iris 3 but your eyes quickly adjust and the blacks are so much better.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #730 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Dazzer: This is quite an astounding report, that the low APL scenes with your 11S2 are as good as those with the HD1/RS1. Was the 11S2 on Iris 1? And is it bright enough in I1 and eco lamp mode? Any idea how many lumens you're getting? (The HD1 is presumably something like 400-500 lumens with 800 hrs on the lamp.)

Hi Bill

The HD1 is probably not far away from those numbers. I like a reasonably punchy image and found 11S2 in iris 1 eco mode more than acceptable. My perception is the black level is lower than the HD1 i.e. less haze/more crisp but the image was not as bright. Putting the S2 in normal lamp at i1 or eco lamp at i2 produced a punchier image than my HD1. Again my perception is that this didn't sacrifice too much on the low APL performance. The i3 (eco) setting is much brighter than the HD1 even using its higher (normal) lamp setting. I compared some of my favourite HD material for low APL comparison such as Tears of the Sun, Spider Man 3, Blade Runner and Riddick.

I know the full field measures less than my HD1 but what's interesting is how much difference this has on the real world image. With mid/high APL material the difference is much more significant to my eyes. For me the S2 provides a nice balance between the D-ILA and DLP qualities.

D
post #731 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzerxxx View Post

the S2 provides a nice balance between the D-ILA and DLP qualities.

First time I ever heard that. Can I quote you?

Oh... I just did

Dan Miller
post #732 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I attempted to update the software in my BDP94 but after I finished it will no longer read a Bluray disc. Thinks it's a CD rom. So more DTV late tonight. Turned the bulb mode to eco, set the Gamma to D, and the iris to 1. Much much better blacks and the brightness is fine. It doesn't have the pop of iris 3 but your eyes quickly adjust and the blacks are so much better.

Can we get an in depth review from you once you had a chance to use it for a while. Vs VW200/RS1/RS2?

TWC Milwaukee - HTPC with Windows Media Center
post #733 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 08:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster109 View Post

Can we get an in depth review from you once you had a chance to use it for a while. Vs VW200/RS1/RS2?

I hope you do not mind my input on this. Ive spent quality time with all these models except the Rs1. If you have any specific questions let me know.

The S2 throws a solid picture. I could not detect any rainbows at all for the first time in a 1 chip DLP. Black levels, side by side the S2 & RS2 were very close but the RS2 still had better overall on/off but the S2 was not far behind but benefited from additional ANSI. The Lens on the S2 with the 1 chip designed yielded the sharpest image of the lot. With the sharpness set to flat there is no ringing. I also found no ringing on the RS2. To my personal liking the Sony has the best color of the lot. I found the S2 image just as smooth and clean as the Lcos mentioned. Each has their own set of unique features that I wish combined were included in every projector. I do not see anyone being disappointed with the S2 in anyway and unless something shocking comes along this will satisfy for years.
post #734 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 08:32 AM

That’s not what I want to hear Alan...

I want to hear the VP11S2 CRUSHES the RS2 and the VW200... LOL

How do the black levels of the 3 compare, and shadow detail.

TWC Milwaukee - HTPC with Windows Media Center
post #735 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I hate all of you, I'm trying really hard to like and keep my RS2, it does look fantastic on my 120" wide scope screen, but after reading more and more posts on the 11s2 with near same low APL as the rs1/2, it is getting more difficult to hold back. I keep telling my wife we have get to Rochester to see this for our own eyes, if she agrees its better then it'll make opening the wallet a lot easier
joe
post #736 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quality time! As distinguished from down and dirty quicky time. reminds me of when one only had 1 hour between classes at law school and her apartment was just accross the street. Not quality time,just time for a quicky.

If one is obsessed with front digital projectors, nothing will satisfy for a long time. Nothing has so far. If you want to watch and enjoy and not get bothered by a few movies or a few scenes, almost anything decent current will satisfy. But as one discriminates, one always wishes for a better this or that spec,or feature 173 in machine 128 by manufacturer x being put in machine 444 by manufacturer y, then BOY would I be happy. projectors will continue to evolve with mamufacturers competing against one and another. I gotta have that new machine demonstrated at Cedia 08. Maybe AVS can get them to ship me the demo from the show so I can be the first to have it.

For many its a hobby and there will always better and depending on your point of view and biases (I bought the older molder and 2x the on/off CR makes little difference, sure it doesn't) the differences will be significant causing one unhappiness and anxiety until the newer model is obtained. What the 11s2 is that much better than the 15s1? Duh. Ya.

Needless to say bot the the 200 and the 11s2 are very good machines. Same MSRP too. Different of course in feature sets and some specs. which one depends on your priorities etc.

I am not politic. I just don't think the RS2 is in the same league. Hell it shouldn't be with an MSRP a little more than 1/2 of the others. But for the money it puts up a nice picture too. Colors that bother me a lot but can be fixed with an outside box in the $1K range and a lens with I find to make a picture a little soft with some CA yada yada. I just didn't want to keep it compared to the 200. I've posted this before. now I would add or the 11s2 to the 200.

The average customers says PLEEZE. Tell me which one is better. PLEEZE.Which one would you buy Alan,Mark, yada if you could only have one? Some guy might say PM me, I'll tell ya buti must be politic, I sell all three. You have to grab onto something or you wil lbe more neurotic than you all ready are and that would be very scary.
the problem is the recommendor's pririties and his ability to observe.

there really is no right answer.the best unbiased answer depends on your screen room, what you watch, your priorities, your sensitivities, your insensitivities. Not mine.

but at this level, its hard to go wrong except if youare a video hobbyist and learn that next years model has 50 better x and now your baby has devalued and nobody wants tobuy it anymore

A friend of mine is getting a 11s2 today and he still has his RS1. Be interesting to see his comparisons.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #737 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Hi Bill

The HD1 is probably not far away from those numbers. I like a reasonably punchy image and found 11S2 in iris 1 eco mode more than acceptable. My perception is the black level is lower than the HD1 i.e. less haze/more crisp but the image was not as bright. Putting the S2 in normal lamp at i1 or eco lamp at i2 produced a punchier image than my HD1. Again my perception is that this didn't sacrifice too much on the low APL performance. The i3 (eco) setting is much brighter than the HD1 even using its higher (normal) lamp setting. I compared some of my favourite HD material for low APL comparison such as Tears of the Sun, Spider Man 3, Blade Runner and Riddick.

I know the full field measures less than my HD1 but what's interesting is how much difference this has on the real world image. With mid/high APL material the difference is much more significant to my eyes. For me the S2 provides a nice balance between the D-ILA and DLP qualities.

D

Dazzer, I too like a 'punchy image' (20 to 30 ftL), so this is sounding better and better. Can you remind me of what size and type (e.g., gain) screen you use? The figures I've heard for the 11S2 were 350 to 400 lumens in Iris 1, and I have been assuming that this was in 'normal' (i.e., high) lamp mode, and of course with a new lamp. 400 lumens would generate more than 20 ftL on my screen (126"diag HP), but because the pj is so close to our ears, I would certainly like to keep the lamp in low power mode. And then one could move to Iris 2 or 3 as the lamp dims.

I guess I'm hoping that a possible future '15S2' model might be out in a year that puts out a bit more lumen-wise, as the 15S1 does relative to the 11S1.
post #738 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Dazzer, I too like a 'punchy image' (20 to 30 ftL), so this is sounding better and better. Can you remind me of what size and type (e.g., gain) screen you use? The figures I've heard for the 11S2 were 350 to 400 lumens in Iris 1, and I have been assuming that this was in 'normal' (i.e., high) lamp mode, and of course with a new lamp. 400 lumens would generate more than 20 ftL on my screen (126"diag HP), but because the pj is so close to our ears, I would certainly like to keep the lamp in low power mode. And then one could move to Iris 2 or 3 as the lamp dims.

I guess I'm hoping that a possible future '15S2' model might be out in a year that puts out a bit more lumen-wise, as the 15S1 does relative to the 11S1.

Bill

My screen is matte white unity gain and it's relatively small at 100". I think you will need to see one first hand ideally in your HT to asertain if it meets your viewing expectation/tastes. I was expecting it to produce more noise but in eco it's really not that different to my HD1.

D
post #739 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 10:54 AM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post

I hate all of you, I'm trying really hard to like and keep my RS2, it does look fantastic on my 120" wide scope screen, but after reading more and more posts on the 11s2 with near same low APL as the rs1/2, it is getting more difficult to hold back. I keep telling my wife we have get to Rochester to see this for our own eyes, if she agrees its better then it'll make opening the wallet a lot easier
joe

Last weekend, I viewed an RS2 on an 11' wide scope High Power and a SIM2 C3X1080 on an 11' wide scope Studiotek, as well as on the High Power. These were at the same location, at a forum member's home. I preferred the RS2. So, unless the Marantz clearly beats the SIM2 when it comes to what the RS2 does best, I'd say don't give up on the RS2 just yet.
post #740 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Bill

My screen is matte white unity gain and it's relatively small at 100". I think you will need to see one first hand ideally in your HT to asertain if it meets your viewing expectation/tastes. I was expecting it to produce more noise but in eco it's really not that different to my HD1.

D

Interesting: my 126" HP should produce ~ 50 to 60% more ftL than your 100" unity gain screen. But you are indeed correct: if I do decide to go for a 11S2, I will just have to get it and see how it works in my room. (To paraphrase the car ad, do you just turn your pj on, or does it turn you on.)
post #741 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd View Post

Last weekend, I viewed an RS2 on an 11' wide scope High Power and a SIM2 C3X1080 on an 11' wide scope Studiotek, as well as on the High Power. These were at the same location, at a forum member's home. I preferred the RS2. So, unless the Marantz clearly beats the SIM2 when it comes to what the RS2 does best, I'd say don't give up on the RS2 just yet.

Very pertinent post. Heck, I'm still in awe of my RS1 (watched 'To Kill a King' last night, sd dvd but upconverted to 1080p/24 output by the Reon HQV in my Sammy 1200 BR player).

I suppose, like many here, I'm just mentally exploring all the possibilities for my own specific situation. When I do decide to do something, I will just buy it (11S2, RS2, RS3, ..) and set it up next to my RS1 to see if my plebeian, non-videophile eyes can actually see any improvement. If not, I'll just be out the shipping costs from Rochester to here and back.
post #742 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Looking at the manual re the iris differences, it implies by a very small box next to the iris function in the picture menu, that iris one results in higher contrast but lower brightness, while iris three is the reverse. The result makes the picture look dimmer in iris one and brighter in iris three, Blacks are to me much better in iris 1. Comments?

Re color wheel speeds (4x,5x, or 6x) the manual really sets forth nothing useful and is a little confusing. It would seem to be the faster the wheel speed, the more audible noise would result/ Are there picture benefits to the higher speeds?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #743 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Assuming you already own one of these, I would enter into your manual the gamma info for each setting posted by Mr. Miller. Would make it easier than trying to find them a year from now.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #744 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Mark,

I have Pioneer BDP94 and was planning to upgrade to the new release this weekend. The problems you experienced with your upgrade is forcing me to reconsider whether or not I should do this. Could you please share more details on your experience. For example is it the latest firmware that Pioneer has posted etc.

Thanks
post #745 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You have PM. Its working fine now.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #746 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark,

Regarding the iris, it works exactly that way. Iris 1 best contrast/least brightness (of the 3 settings) and Iris 3 best brightness/least contrast (again of the 3 settings.)

Through Jason's measurements of a few of these and then promulgating off of percentages from the 15S1 which has a similar mechanism roughly:

12k CR 350 lumens in iris 1 long throw
10.5k CR 400 lumens in iris 1 short throw

up to 5.5k CR 800 lumens in iris 3 short throw

Every other setting in between in both CR and brightness.

The wheel speeds .. less noise 4x, 5x middle ground, 6x best artifact control.

I never noticed any rainbows or other artifacts at 5x speed on my 15S1 but since the noise doesnt bother me, I have it on 6x speed anyways on my 11S2.

Needless to say, I have mine in iris 1 close to short throw on a .8 gain HCG grey screen and the picture is pretty damn good. I also jacked up the contrast from Jason's calibrated 19 contrast setting to 33, right before blooming, so I am ballparking 11k CR 400+ lumens on my setup.
post #747 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So the benefit of higher wheel speed is reducing susceptabilty to the viewer seeing rainbows? I run at 6. I don't notice any audible noise or rainbow differences. I only see the pot of gold, I am not susceptable to seeing rainbows but a guest might be so I'll continue to run it at 6x. I am running gama D. How about you?

I didn't think a digital could bloom. That doesn't really make any sense. A CRT can bloom, mainly the blue tube compared to the red or green. The blue phosphers put out so little light that they can be pushed into blooming quickly but a bulb, reflecting off a mirrow and a color wheel? What can bloom?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #748 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I may be using the wrong terminology. I mean bleeding, or clipping then, I think. 8)

Where the white box appears to bleed into the black background on DVE. Thats blooming, no? Where the upper end of the grayscale ramp stops looking to individually distinguishable?
post #749 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I go Gamma A and Gamma C. I actually thought Gamma A and Theater Gamma looked similar, but liked A better with my grey screen.

Iris 1, normal, color 3, I believe. Jason calibrated mine, so I tired to stay true to his tweaks .. mostly except for the contrast to jack that up a little. 8)
post #750 of 1682 Old 03-06-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think you run out of drive. Reach a limit as to how much light one can get with relation to the other two primaries. With a CRT the actual phospher dots get bigger, they bloom, good way to burn your tube.

I have no idea if screen gain or screen color affects gamma.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Marantz Vp 11s2 Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - 11s2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page