AVS Forum banner

Marantz VP-11S2

187K views 2K replies 140 participants last post by  DS@HTR 
#1 ·
Has anyone received a Marantz VP-11S2 yet? Please post your comments.

#3 ·
It is supposed to be starting to ship, however it isnt up on their web pages and we still dont have an MSRP on it.

#6 ·
I've received one, and would love to hear from people about where best to mount it in a room that's approximately 22' long, and still under construction. I'd like to mount it in a location that allows for mounting of the eventual replacement models.

Screen will be Stewart Filmscreen, 10' wide.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Skier /forum/post/12543692

I've received one, and would love to hear from people about where best to mount it in a room that's approximately 22' long, and still under construction. I'd like to mount it in a location that allows for mounting of the eventual replacement models.

Screen will be Stewart Filmscreen, 10' wide.

Will this be a 16:9 screen or 2.35:1 screen?

#8 ·
I guess it will be optimized for 16 x 9 -- a frame that's 124" wide x 72" high, according to the Stewart table, giving an image of 118" x 66". But I'll definitely use it for 2.35 as well, with an image of 120" x 51", so there will be a little overlap.

I'm not sure about curved or flat, I just know it will be a Stewart microperf because of the relatively small room size (22" x 16", unfinished)

#9 ·
Well....there's obviously no way to know for sure what's coming out in the future, but we can make an estimate based on historical averages. (At least that's what my investment guy says
)

Based on all current projector makes and models, I would put it at about an 18'-8" lens to screen distance. This would give you a 1.9x throw which would work for just about anything currently available from any manufacturer.

#10 ·
Thank you for the advice. I know this screen is a little too large for current technology, but I figure the projectors will only get brighter as time marches on.

The room is being built in the next two months according to a Rives Audio design, and I may post pictures when finished. I tried to post the Rives concept drawings with this question, but the files were too large. The people at Rives recommended this screen size based on the THX tables and our room size.

I'd be happy to tell people about the projector once it's been installed, but I'm afraid all I will be able to say is "Looks great. Much better than my old VP-12S3." Not particularly helpful for all you technical gurus.

#12 ·
VT Skier,

Im very curious about the performance of this projector. Hopefully we will get some reviews on it, soon. It is supposed to be not as bright as the 15S1 but it does have the DC4 chip in tow.

Have you had a chance to fire it up yet?

#14 ·
Yes, it will be. Comparing them to Jason's and Greg's as well.

Oh well on the DC4 upgrade. Cant expect everyone to be like SIM2. 8)

Was Dan able to get you your 15S1, or another one, back in time for the holidays? Or is it still on vacation sending you postcards?

#17 ·
Sorry, Bob. 8( That sucks, man. You would think Marantz would do something about this. It is ridiculous that you have been waiting for such a long time for parts on practically a brand new projector.

Its a little scary.

VT Skier, I dont know how you are able to hold off. If it was me I would be whipping out my 110" tripod screen while I waited on all that other stuff.

#19 ·
RRP has dropped to $14,999.

Marantz is showing its VP-11S2 high-definition DLP front projector at the 2008 CES. The model, currently shipping, is the world’s first 1080p unit to use TI’s DC4 chip, offering what the company says is increased brightness and appreciably higher contrast than other DLP chip sets. The VP-11S2 delivers uncompressed HDTV 1920x1080-pixel, film-quality resolution, and also features HDMI 1.3 inputs with Deep Color capability. The feature set is rounded out with Gennum’s GF9351 programmable video processor, which is capable of doing calculations on the order of 500 million floating-point operations per second. There is a choice of either standard and long-throw lens options and it is retrofittable for use with the Marantz anamorphic lens solutions, says the company. The VP-11S2’s suggested retail price is $14,999.

#20 ·
I thought I read that DC4 increased brightness somewhere. 8)

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz /forum/post/12688035

RRP has dropped to $14,999.

The model, currently shipping, is the world's first 1080p unit to use TI's DC4 chip

That "world's first" BS always makes me smile.

I knew they'd have to drop the price but didn't expect it to be so soon or by so much. Dealer sales numbers are very low. Having said that, the price point is obvious considering the segment.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead /forum/post/12564532

Still on vacation. But, good news! The two boards which were supposed to come in on 12/19 didn't make it. Maybe in next weeks shipment. I'm honestly beginning to think I'll never get it back.

Sounds like a case for a full refund.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.