RS2/ PRO-FPJ1 Owners: Setup Discussion Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 4249 Old 02-07-2008, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah the Panamorph system works great with the RS2 in my setup.

So what is your throw going to be?

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4249 Old 02-07-2008, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Chris: Thanks. The guy who recommended the RS2 also "suggested" the Panamorph ----- but he was trying to describe some plate that the siide was mounted on and that is drooped or something but I could not see anything like that in your photo. Also, my PJ will hang down from the ceiling on a pipe extension about 15" so the Panamorph would have to do the same and I'm not sure how it would be mounted.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

And I did check the CIH thread and there in no specfic recommendations for a particular lens for the RS2 that I could find.

Even when I'm not having a particularly good day, I am at least having a day!

New Theater 

Build Thread
post #273 of 4249 Old 02-07-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here's the plate and Chief mount. In this picture, the top part of the Chief mount is not shown. That would be what you thread onto your pipe extension.
LL

My Home Theater is a work in progress.
post #274 of 4249 Old 02-07-2008, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another angle.
LL

post #275 of 4249 Old 02-07-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Chris: Thanks. The guy who recommended the RS2 also "suggested" the Panamorph ----- but he was trying to describe some plate that the siide was mounted on and that is drooped or something but I could not see anything like that in your photo. Also, my PJ will hang down from the ceiling on a pipe extension about 15" so the Panamorph would have to do the same and I'm not sure how it would be mounted.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

And I did check the CIH thread and there in no specfic recommendations for a particular lens for the RS2 that I could find.

I am pole mounting mine too. The mounting plate for the panamorph has some hooks as you need to support the lens too. They give you enough chain that a 15" pipe shouldn't be a problem methinks.

The panamorph is a great lens system for the RS2. It is better if your throw distance is longer though. Actually it is better for all of the anamophic lenses out there.

post #276 of 4249 Old 02-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I will be ordering the RS2 and want to include the anamorphic lens to watch on a 10 foot wide 2.35 screen. What anamorphic lens options are available (that are motor driven)? ISCO and Panaorph? Others =?

I use the Panamorph expansion lens but the glass compression lens will give you a better image and will be brighter because your zoom lens will be closer to its maximum F number.
post #277 of 4249 Old 02-07-2008, 06:15 PM

Well I just installed my RS2. I coming from 9" Marquee. All I can say is wow. The brightness, the sharpness, and I lifted it to the mount by myself!! The blacks are the best I have seen on non-CRT - a very good black, but not the inky/spooky black of CRT. I have used Blu-Ray and regular DVD (480i HDMI to 1080P with Faroudja 1080) and I am extremely happy. I haven't done any serious tweeking yet, and my satellite HD source has to be moved (wiring and all) so it will be a couple of weeks before I check that out. The comments I got back from this thread helped in my decision. Thanks everyone and happy viewing!

OK, that sounds a little too positive... I'll find some annoyances if I look hard enough... like the rinky-dink HandV shift wheels...

Jeff

Jeff Sheppard
Bragg Creek, Alberta
Canada
post #278 of 4249 Old 02-07-2008, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Jeff: I also had a 9" marquee so that is great news. What size/type screen are you using and are you using an anamorphic lens?

mlang46: I'm not sure I understand the compression versus expansion description.

New Theater 

Build Thread
post #279 of 4249 Old 02-07-2008, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by phast_geek View Post

OK, that sounds a little too positive... I'll find some annoyances if I look hard enough...

Jeff

Please find some because I'm going broke.
post #280 of 4249 Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Congrats on the new RS2! I'm glad you like it. I agree on those stupid shift wheels.

post #281 of 4249 Old 02-07-2008, 07:26 PM

Hey audioguy,

I have a Carada 96" 1.78 Brilliant white (1.4 gain) screen. The PJ is about 14 feet from the screen on a Chief ceiling mount with 18" downtube (could go shorter but I didn't want to use the extremes of lens shift). The screen is a little smaller than some users have, but my room is small. I can easily see using a much bigger screen with this projector. Right now I don't have the anamorphic lens. I am debating between it and the Carada masking system - constant height vs. width.

Jeff

Jeff Sheppard
Bragg Creek, Alberta
Canada
post #282 of 4249 Old 02-07-2008, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow that must have some real punch! That carada masquerade looks really cool!!!

post #283 of 4249 Old 02-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Jeff: I also had a 9" marquee so that is great news. What size/type screen are you using and are you using an anamorphic lens?

mlang46: I'm not sure I understand the compression versus expansion description.

going to 2:35 you have 3 choices

1. You can put a prism which will take the image and stretch it to 2.35 after you have electronically stretched it vertically or

2. You can expand the image with the zoom until you have a 2.35 image which is created by over filling the screen so that the black bars are off the projection screen.

3 You can view the image this way or you can electronically vertically stretch image , eliminating the black bars and then compress it with a prism vertically.
post #284 of 4249 Old 02-07-2008, 10:06 PM
DBI

Location: Major residence in Sammamish Wa. @ Vacation home in Lake Havasu City Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

I am pole mounting mine too. The mounting plate for the panamorph has some hooks as you need to support the lens too. They give you enough chain that a 15" pipe shouldn't be a problem methinks.

The panamorph is a great lens system for the RS2. It is better if your throw distance is longer though. Actually it is better for all of the anamophic lenses out there.

Cameron, What range of throw distances optimizes the panamorph? I have several options at this point. I sussept that I will also need to use a pole mount to min. vertical shift. The chain support for the panamorph seems a little cheesy for the quality of the piece.
Doug
post #285 of 4249 Old 02-08-2008, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

The chain support isn't cheesy, but it is necessary as the mounting plate is not the thickest firmest piece of steel. (especially for the price)

Well the theory is that the smaller the image that hits the panamorph lens the better. There are posts about this over in the CIH forum. I believe that for the RS2 it was recommended that the projector be 1.8x image width away and maybe more would be better. Now this is 1.8 the image width of your 16:9 image not your scope image.

If you are closer it really isn't a problem but your ca could increase.

post #286 of 4249 Old 02-08-2008, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The chain support isn't cheesy, but it is necessary as the mounting plate is not the thickest firmest piece of steel.

Agreed. I thought it was a little cheesy too when I first saw it in the bag, but it's plenty strong, it works well and it is absolutely necessary.

post #287 of 4249 Old 02-08-2008, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

Please find some because I'm going broke.

Well, let's see..................................the beautiful piano black finish is so glossy that every time you touch the projector, you leave a smudge and you just have to wipe it down........................um......if you try to sleep while the projector is on and your head is within 3 ft., it might keep you awake...........err..........people won't leave your house.

Ok, ok. My biggest complaint at the moment is the lack of ir code for directly switching on/off VStretch, but hopefully Mr. Stites is working on that for us. What else.....ok, I didn't really think that out of the box the colors are oversaturated until some folks around here said they were. They might be a little, but I haven't touched anything in the menus yet to set levels. This weekend I'm hoping.

Chris

post #288 of 4249 Old 02-08-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

You can see the chains in play on Chris' first pic.

It really isn't bad. My problem was I have a floating joist that the projector is hung from that is not connected to the upper floor. I have had to rig a system to make the chain thing work. Min is crazy. I will post a pic in a month or so when I finalize the installation.

post #289 of 4249 Old 02-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLAY View Post

Agreed. I thought it was a little cheesy too when I first saw it in the bag, but it's plenty strong, it works well and it is absolutely necessary.

I thought it was cheesy, too, but I wasn't going to post that!

Actually, I was concerned that the chain was too thin to safely support the weight.
post #290 of 4249 Old 02-08-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

My biggest disappointment was about the price for the adapter plate in the first place.
$200+ for a plate of metal that really isn't strong enough for what it needed to be.

It works,but for the price, maybe it should be titanium.

post #291 of 4249 Old 02-08-2008, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Actually, I was concerned that the chain was too thin to safely support the weight.

Me too, but I soon realized that the chains are actually just helping to hold up the lens/sled assembly, not the entire projector.

Once I read the instructions 20 or 30 times, it all made sense.

post #292 of 4249 Old 02-08-2008, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My biggest disappointment was about the price for the adapter plate in the first place.
$200+ for a plate of metal that really isn't strong enough for what it needed to be.

Yeah, but you know, I started thinking about why the plate is what it is.

Here's what I think:

You mount the pj to the plate and Chief mount to the plate. You hang that to whatever you're hanging, ceiling, extension pipe, etc. Now you level everything and get the image on the screen proper.

Then, you attach the lens/sled to the front part of the plate. When you do that, the plate sags. That's what the chains are for. You tighten up the chains, pulling up the plate, until your image is right and you're done.

My thinking is that the plate is intended to be what it is so that the weight of the whole assembly is distributed better. If the plate was thick enough to handle everything, you'd have a very awkward load on the Chief mount. When I mounted the lens/sled and before I installed the chains, I noticed that even though I tightened the set screws really, really tight on the Chief mount, the whole thing still wanted to tilt down in the front.

Does that make any sense?

Chris

post #293 of 4249 Old 02-08-2008, 10:03 PM
DBI

Location: Major residence in Sammamish Wa. @ Vacation home in Lake Havasu City Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLAY View Post

Yeah, but you know, I started thinking about why the plate is what it is.

Here's what I think:

You mount the pj to the plate and Chief mount to the plate. You hang that to whatever you're hanging, ceiling, extension pipe, etc. Now you level everything and get the image on the screen proper.

Then, you attach the lens/sled to the front part of the plate. When you do that, the plate sags. That's what the chains are for. You tighten up the chains, pulling up the plate, until your image is right and you're done.

My thinking is that the plate is intended to be what it is so that the weight of the whole assembly is distributed better. If the plate was thick enough to handle everything, you'd have a very awkward load on the Chief mount. When I mounted the lens/sled and before I installed the chains, I noticed that even though I tightened the set screws really, really tight on the Chief mount, the whole thing still wanted to tilt down in the front.

Does that make any sense?

Chris

I don't know. It still seems like a engineering afterthought. I would have thought that a few properly placed bends in the metal and an option to set the pj back on the mounting plate to offset the forward C.G. and maybe no chains would be needed. In all fairness, I haven't see it other than the pics that Chris has sent which certainly looks fine. I am sure it is great combo. Looking forward to seeing Chris's ht in a week or so. Chains and all.
Has anyone using a vp compared the difference between those that use HDMI 1.1 (I think thats the prior version) and HDMI 1.3a with their RS2?
Assuming that you have a HDMI 1.3 source.

Doug
post #294 of 4249 Old 02-08-2008, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Ummm What HDMI 1.3 source are you talking about?
I kinda have one of the latest/greatest VPs but it isn't 1.3 either.

For the $500 MSRP for the metal plate, it could be balanced and made out of some high-tech super aluminum alloy. Heck the thing is only a piece of steel that has been cut out with some holes and then is powder coated. I bought a replacement part for a printing machine that was very similar in gauge finish and shape (although it was a bit bigger and a little more complex). Cost was $25. Go figure.

I reallly need to stop whining about it though and move on.
The Panamorph worked out great for me.

post #295 of 4249 Old 02-08-2008, 10:50 PM
DBI

Quote:

Ummm What HDMI 1.3 source are you talking about?
I kinda have one of the latest/greatest VPs but it isn't 1.3 either.

For the $500 MSRP for the metal plate, it could be balanced and made out of some high-tech super aluminum alloy. Heck the thing is only a piece of steel that has been cut out with some holes and then is powder coated. I bought a replacement part for a printing machine that was very similar in gauge finish and shape (although it was a bit bigger and a little more complex). Cost was $25. Go figure.

I reallly need to stop whining about it though and move on.
The Panamorph worked out great for me.

I thought that there are several Blue ray (hopefully not to start a format war on Chris's thread) players that are HDMI 1.3a compatable. Maybe I don't understand the concept, but I would think that a vp that wasn't 1.3a wouldn't allow you to take the advantage of the 1.3a available in the RS2.On the Reliance thread several people were discussing firmware upgrades or waiting until HDMI 1.3a was available. Is this alot about nothing.
post #296 of 4249 Old 02-09-2008, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

My installer has solved the "saggy plate" issue. He had one custom built. I have not seen it yet but it has to be better than what is supplied (which, for the cost of the product (the lens), is a joke

New Theater 

Build Thread
post #297 of 4249 Old 02-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBI View Post

I thought that there are several Blue ray (hopefully not to start a format war on Chris's thread) players that are HDMI 1.3a compatable. Maybe I don't understand the concept, but I would think that a vp that wasn't 1.3a wouldn't allow you to take the advantage of the 1.3a available in the RS2.On the Reliance thread several people were discussing firmware upgrades or waiting until HDMI 1.3a was available. Is this alot about nothing.

If by "take advantage of the 1.3a available in the RS2" you mean Deep Color, then no because there are no Deep Color sources (other than some hi-def camcorders) available. Being HDMI 1.3a-compliant (did you know there is 1.3b now? ) does not necessarily mean a component produces/displays Deep Color. There are a number of things besides Deep Color introduced with 1.3a. Here is the straight poop right from the horse's mouth.
post #298 of 4249 Old 02-09-2008, 08:21 AM
DBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

If by "take advantage of the 1.3a available in the RS2" you mean Deep Color, then no because there are no Deep Color sources (other than some hi-def camcorders) available. Being HDMI 1.3a-compliant (did you know there is 1.3b now? ) does not necessarily mean a component produces/displays Deep Color. There are a number of things besides Deep Color introduced with 1.3a. Here is the straight poop right from the horse's mouth.

Exactly, In the JVC literature they promote the 1.3a as providing a higher bandwidth of 225 Mhz which is supposed to increase the color depth. Whether this really means anything or not was the nature of my question.

Doug
post #299 of 4249 Old 02-09-2008, 08:24 AM
DBI

Quote:

My installer has solved the "saggy plate" issue. He had one custom built. I have not seen it yet but it has to be better than what is supplied (which, for the cost of the product (the lens), is a joke

I would really to know how it works out and the $$.

Doug
post #300 of 4249 Old 02-09-2008, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can one adjust the RS2 with the cheif mount on all three axis?

From those pics it looks like you can ONLY shift the PJ on that mount a bit left or right, and foward or aft.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page