RS2/ PRO-FPJ1 Owners: Setup Discussion Thread - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 4235 Old 04-12-2010, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been calibrating my JVC RS2 using HCFR and can't seem to come to a consensus on exactly what the "w" Gamma control does. Could anybody comment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 4235 Old 04-15-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Can anyone suggest a place to purchase a backup/spare lamp for the FPJ1?

In search of video bliss...
post #3603 of 4235 Old 04-15-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

I would buy it through this forum...AVS sells bulbs.
post #3604 of 4235 Old 04-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

advanced lamps sells brand new oem lamps on ebay for a terrific price. Just search jvc 5009. be sure to buy the genuine oem. Use bing cashback to get an additional 8% off.
post #3605 of 4235 Old 04-15-2010, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
thanks people appreciate the tips..

In search of video bliss...
post #3606 of 4235 Old 04-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

advanced lamps sells brand new oem lamps on ebay for a terrific price. Just search jvc 5009. be sure to buy the genuine oem. Use bing cashback to get an additional 8% off.

Have you used these guys already? Trustworthy? It is a good price.
post #3607 of 4235 Old 04-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbaba View Post

Have you used these guys already? Trustworthy? It is a good price.

I have not used them, but they have a very good reputation and have a well establish e-tail presence. I would use them without thinking about it. The price is the cheapest at which I have ever seen the lamps offered.

John
post #3608 of 4235 Old 04-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

I have not used them, but they have a very good reputation and have a well establish e-tail presence. I would use them without thinking about it. The price is the cheapest at which I have ever seen the lamps offered.

John

Thanks, John.

Has anyone out there bought a bought a bulb from them yet? Were they genuine OEM?

All input appreciated.

Do not want to get a non OEM bulb. If no one has any experience with them, I will just spend the extra and get one from AVS to be safe.

Thanks.
post #3609 of 4235 Old 04-20-2010, 05:41 AM

Another member posted a while back that the lamp he got from Advance lamps was not OEM. I got one from gadget-town on the bay and it is OEM.
Bill
post #3610 of 4235 Old 04-20-2010, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Don View Post

Another member posted a while back that the lamp he got from Advance lamps was not OEM. I got one from gadget-town on the bay and it is OEM.
Bill

Hi Bill, where is this gadget-town place?
post #3611 of 4235 Old 04-20-2010, 08:48 AM

That would be Ebay. Search for JVC BHL-5009-S .
Good price-free shipping.
Bill
post #3612 of 4235 Old 04-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Who actually makes the lamps for JVC, for the RS1 & RS2, BHL-5009-S ? Seems like I read Panasonic somewhere but that was awhile back. I never have looked on the actual bulb to see if there is a name.

I don't think its Philips or Osram though. I noticed a parts distributor that sells mostly to repair centers/dealers, has the BHL-5009-S as discontinued and BHL-5009-SC as the new number. They don't say anything about not being a JVC original and usually they always do if its not.

I think that is made by DNGO. Its not big deal, just curious since I happen to read these posts about it. I always noticed its about impossible to find just the bulb, and that's probably because its not made by Philips or Osram. I believe some of the newer JVC's are.

But having used the Orginal JVC lamps, I guess they work about as good as any but do give their share of problems. They also love to start to flickering around 600 hours. Running in high mode usually stops it though.
post #3613 of 4235 Old 04-20-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukeesk View Post

I have been calibrating my JVC RS2 using HCFR and can't seem to come to a consensus on exactly what the "w" Gamma control does. Could anybody comment?

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
post #3614 of 4235 Old 04-20-2010, 07:22 PM
amt

Liked: 12
w = white
post #3615 of 4235 Old 04-20-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt View Post

w = white

Thanks, I assumed it meant white. I was more wondering what effect it had when calibrating... Is it only used to smooth a gamma curve? Does it effect RGB levels when moved?
post #3616 of 4235 Old 04-20-2010, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Gamma W is actually your bias. Color temp setting is your gain.
With W you have several bias access (multiple points across the entire brightness range) to flatten your scale. My only guess would be "white balance" for the lable "W".

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #3617 of 4235 Old 04-21-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post

Gamma W is actually your bias. Color temp setting is your gain.
With W you have several bias access (multiple points across the entire brightness range) to flatten your scale. My only guess would be "white balance" for the lable "W".

Thanks. So should I first smooth out my gamma curve with the "w" and then dial in the grayscale with the "RGB"?
post #3618 of 4235 Old 04-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Don View Post

Bill

Thanks for the input everyone.
post #3619 of 4235 Old 04-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry J View Post

Who actually makes the lamps for JVC, for the RS1 & RS2, BHL-5009-S ? Seems like I read Panasonic somewhere but that was awhile back. I never have looked on the actual bulb to see if there is a name.

I don't think its Philips or Osram though. I noticed a parts distributor that sells mostly to repair centers/dealers, has the BHL-5009-S as discontinued and BHL-5009-SC as the new number. They don't say anything about not being a JVC original and usually they always do if its not.

I think that is made by DNGO. Its not big deal, just curious since I happen to read these posts about it. I always noticed its about impossible to find just the bulb, and that's probably because its not made by Philips or Osram. I believe some of the newer JVC's are.

But having used the Orginal JVC lamps, I guess they work about as good as any but do give their share of problems. They also love to start to flickering around 600 hours. Running in high mode usually stops it though.

Interesting. That is why I am looking. At about a grand and it is flickering. After running it in high mode for a day or two, it will cease to flicker for a few days, but then it starts again. Kind of a annoying.

I assume it has to be the bulb?

I copied a pic from the ebay ad -- not sure if this is the bulb maker you were looking for...
LL
post #3620 of 4235 Old 04-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

By the way -- AVS sells the bulb at just a bit more then the gadget-town place on the bay. I will probably just go ahead and give my support to AVS. Maybe they will even match the price if we ask?

Thanks again.
post #3621 of 4235 Old 04-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Sent an email to that advanced lamps place asking if the bulbs were OEM. This is the response....

We have Advanced Lamps bulbs and housing. These are brand new and this lamp specifically has a 2000 Hour life and is 200 Watts.

Advanced lamp brand, we have our own manufacture overseas.
What is the simple description of the technology that is used in the Advanced Lamps lamp?? ?
Our lamp technology is UHR (Ultra high pressure Mercury lamp for replacement) or AUP (Advanced Lamps Ultra-High-Pressure Mercury Lamp for projector). A vapor or gaseous discharge lamp in which the arc discharge takes place in mercury vapor. Radiation from the mercury arc is confined to four specific wavelengths in the visible portion of the spectrum and several strong lines in the ultraviolet spectrum.

What is a genuine AL Lamp?
AL represents Advanced Lamps and these lamps are made with UHR technology explained above. The housing for these bulbs is made using the same mold as the original model. Some models are not available in UHR. These will be replaced with the original lamp as produced by the original manufacturer.
This is an excerpt from our website about the bulb.
Thank you,

- advancedlmps
post #3622 of 4235 Old 04-21-2010, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. So should I first smooth out my gamma curve with the "w" and then dial in the grayscale with the "RGB"?

Try both. I did the RGB first and raised the low end black by gamma point. I chose 2.4 gamma to start with for movies and 2.2 for others.

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

post #3623 of 4235 Old 04-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbaba View Post

Interesting. That is why I am looking. At about a grand and it is flickering. After running it in high mode for a day or two, it will cease to flicker for a few days, but then it starts again. Kind of a annoying.

I assume it has to be the bulb?

I copied a pic from the ebay ad -- not sure if this is the bulb maker you were looking for...

Yeah, its the lamp when it flickers like that. There are always exceptions of course but thats kind of a known thing that happens. Thanks for the picture but thats only the box that a JVC lamp comes in. I was curious who makes it for JVC, because they don't make bulbs.

It would be kind of a guessing game using someone like Advanced lamps, what they say might be true or might not. I know there were some counterfeit lamps going around from China with brand names on them. Even some distributors got tricked by them for rear projection.

But, if one could buy the bulb from whoever builds it for JVC, then there would be no difference.
post #3624 of 4235 Old 04-26-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post

Try both. I did the RGB first and raised the low end black by gamma point. I chose 2.4 gamma to start with for movies and 2.2 for others.

How easy was that for you? I've been doing grayscale/gamma work for a year now with Lumagen Video Processors. The thing is I can't seem to get the gamma controls in the FPJ1 to work correctly. I use an eye 1 pro spectro and CalMAN software. The "W" is for moving all RGB's at the particular ire you are focused on at the same time for luminance or gamma control. The individual "R,G,B" controls are for balancing out grayscale. Ideally one would adjust grayscale then manipulate the gamma curve from your D6500 W point at 100% ire down to the FPJ1's 5% ire point for the desired gamma, (2.2,2.3,2.4 or 2.5).
My problem is I have to move points, ("W or R,G,B"), to far to get a change in readings from my meter, (and they seem to move opposite of what you would expect). The result was a rainbow of colors up and down grayscale ramp. If anyone has any input to go about this to attain correct results I would be grateful. Thanks, Doug G.

My name is Doug Gehlhausen. I'm from southern Indiana. I have been through various video calibration classes, including ISF 1 & 2. I have the Home Theater Bug pretty bad!
post #3625 of 4235 Old 04-26-2010, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have the fpj1 now but it was easy to set up the grayscale.
I had my friend Minolta. Red was spot on. Gamma tweak for mine was limited to low end (5% point only) boost for better shadow detail and afterward it was a decent flat curve. Make sure your readings are reliable numbers. All JVC's have nice gray scale response once set up correctly AFAIK.

post #3626 of 4235 Old 04-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

post #3627 of 4235 Old 04-26-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD MAN View Post

Here is your answer:

http://www.curtpalme.com/VideoEq.shtm

Thanks but I all ready own the video eq pro, I am trying to do the most with the projectors controls before I use it. I have gotten excellent calibration numbers with the video eq pro, Delta E's all under 2, including CMS, grayscale and gamma. I was just wanting to achieve the same numbers with the projectors controls. Greg Rogers said he did it but I can not get the values to move appropriately. I know my meter's measurements are spot on, like I have said I have no problem calibrating with the Lumagen VP or the video eq pro. I have access to two of these projectors (mine and a friends) and neither one responds to a razor flat grayscale or smooth gamma curve calibration with the projectors controls. Read my description of how I feel the "W and RGB" controls should work in previous post. That is how they work for Lumagen and the video eq pro.
I was basically looking for a methodology on how to approach calibration as the controls DO NOT respond the way conventional video processors do. Thanks again for any input, Doug G. Just to be clear, I would like to do a better job with my friends projector, he has no video processor.

My name is Doug Gehlhausen. I'm from southern Indiana. I have been through various video calibration classes, including ISF 1 & 2. I have the Home Theater Bug pretty bad!
post #3628 of 4235 Old 04-27-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegk61 View Post

Thanks but I all ready own the video eq pro, I am trying to do the most with the projectors controls before I use it. I have gotten excellent calibration numbers with the video eq pro, Delta E's all under 2, including CMS, grayscale and gamma. I was just wanting to achieve the same numbers with the projectors controls. Greg Rogers said he did it but I can not get the values to move appropriately. I know my meter's measurements are spot on, like I have said I have no problem calibrating with the Lumagen VP or the video eq pro. I have access to two of these projectors (mine and a friends) and neither one responds to a razor flat grayscale or smooth gamma curve calibration with the projectors controls. Read my description of how I feel the "W and RGB" controls should work in previous post. That is how they work for Lumagen and the video eq pro.
I was basically looking for a methodology on how to approach calibration as the controls DO NOT respond the way conventional video processors do. Thanks again for any input, Doug G. Just to be clear, I would like to do a better job with my friends projector, he has no video processor.

I couldn't agree more with you. I have been having a relatively difficult time calibrating my projector directly as well. I have realized that first adjusting the "w" gamma to smooth out the gamma helps a great deal. However, my result have been mixed, with the same issues where several adjustment notches on the gamma curve have almost no effect on my reading at times which also has resulted in a rainbow type effect on my grayscale. I am beginning to think it could be my meter...
post #3629 of 4235 Old 04-27-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I thought the whole point of using a VP with CMS or the Video EQ Pro was that YOU CAN'T properly calibrate the RS2 family of projectors using only the UI on the projector.
And besides what difference does it make as long as the signal coming out of the projector is accurate?
Am I mis-understanding something here?

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #3630 of 4235 Old 04-27-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

I thought the whole point of using a VP with CMS or the Video EQ Pro was that YOU CAN'T properly calibrate the RS2 family of projectors using only the UI on the projector.
And besides what difference does it make as long as the signal coming out of the projector is accurate?
Am I mis-understanding something here?

I was only trying to calibrate the grayscale, and that's when I was running in to the troubles. You should be able to do this without a VP or VEQ of which I don't have. The primary reason you need them for the RS2 is for the CMS capabilities from my understanding.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page