AVS Forum banner

RS2/ PRO-FPJ1 Owners: Setup Discussion Thread

541K views 4K replies 391 participants last post by  DataModel 
#1 ·
I just got my RS2 up and configured somewhat and seeing how there are other discussions on other threads about setup, I figured it would be good to have one place to talk about how we are all configuring our new projectors.

So here we go:

I upgraded from a Dilard'ized G11/Panamorph/9ft wide Firehawk to the RS2/Panamorph UH380 w/M380 transport/10ft wide 2.40 SMX AT screen.

The only thing I've done so far is set the focus and made one red pixel adjustment. Pixel perfect now. Wow, what a great image!

Here's the first thing I noticed on setup. The image zoom, now automatic vs. manual on the RS1, zooms from the center outwards in all directions. In all directions equally; unless that is, you have the pj mounted higher than the center of the screen. Then it zooms differently on the top vs. the bottom because the image is being thrown on a downward angle. This should not be an issue if you plan on setting up your image to the top of the screen initially and thereafter use the V-Stretch mode/anamorphic lens combo to do widescreen material.

My setup:

Projector is 100" off the floor, center of lens.

Top of screen is 87" off the floor.

Projector is 18 ft back from screen.

Panamorph lens/sled mounted in front of the projector with the included support plate. It is a little tedious to mount the Panamorph system but well worth it. IMO, you must use the chain supports for this setup for proper weight load balance. See picture below. EDIT: All motorized Panamorph systems now come with a thicker mounting plate so the support chains are no longer needed. Nice.

Having everything as perfectly level as possible results in almost perfect image geometry with the lens in the light path.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

With this combo of distances, this is about the max you can go with the pj being higher than the top of screen. There is almost no more adjustment with the manual lens shift downward. You can give the the pj a little downward tilt in front, but you will lose perfect image geometry.

Starting from a full zoom in position and moving to a full zoom out position, the image moved UP 13" on the top and DOWN 54" on the bottom because of the downward light path.

The saving grace, and thank you Shawn Kelly from Panamorph for helping me get this straight, is that when using the Pannie setup I should rarely, if ever, have to adjust lens shift or zoom. With the new 'V-Stretch' scaling in the RS2, enabling that and having the lens motor'ifically slide into place to expand the image to the full 2.40 screen width, that keeps the image full screen at least top to bottom. Wow, that Shawn didn't cut no corners with his latest entry. When you take that stuff out of the box, you really feel like you got your monies worth. I've always been a huge supporter the the anamorphic lenses. Well done Shawn.

EDIT: 02-09-08

With 40 hours on the RS2, I finally had time to set levels with a test disc.

I used the Avia dvd first thru an Oppo970 upconverting player set to 720p and then a Toshiba A30. All measurements directly from the DVD players to the RS2. All settings in the dvd players at default.

First the Toshiba using HDMI, upscaled:

Gamma at 'normal', color temp 'middle'.

Contrast -1

Brightness -1

Color 0

Sharpness 0

Tint 0, tint is not adjustable on the RS2, I'm assuming because of the now individually adjustable RGB colors.

With Gamma at Theater 1, color temp 'middle'.

Nice to see there was little need for adjustments vs. the factory 'normal'.

Contrast -0

Brightness -2

Color 0

Oppo player using HDMI, upscaled to 720p:

Gamma normal

Contrast 5

Brightness 0

Color -2

Gamma Theater 1

Contrast 5

Brightness -1

Color -2

EDIT: Feb. '09. 250 hrs. on the bulb

Settings using DVE BR disc thru a PS3, HDMI direct to the RS2:

Gamma 2.4 with the 5 point bump up at 5% IRE, color temp middle

Contrast -3

Brightness 1

Color -3

The resulting image is outstanding. Contrast and image depth is fantastic. Color levels seem to be a little strong, maybe too much for some, but to me with a couple ticks less saturation, they look great. There is a lot of user adjustability in the menus. Very nice!

This is one fine projector. I can't imagine anyone not being extremely satisfied with it.

Edit 4-19-11

At 638 hrs. on the bulb I had Jeff Meier do a full calibration. The results:

Initial light level 3.0 fl in 2.35 mode. Final light output 3.3 fl and 4.5 fl in 16:9 mode. 170 lumens at 638 hours.

Pre on/off contrast ratio 5078, post cr 13052.

Pre gamma 2.02, post gamma 2.21

Color temp, gamma curve and gray scale RGB ratios were reasonably close pre cal and spot on post cal.

I happen to have had the new Panamorph lens, the DC1 in my possession during the cal as well as my regular lens, the UH480. We did a light loss comparison with both in and out of the light path.

Light loss for the DC1 was 0.6% and 1.7% for the 480. Not bad at all. Those numbers were much lower than I expected and definitely not noticable between the two.

That's about it. I haven't had much time to do any serious viewing yet but initially the image looked pretty darn good after the calibration. I'm considering going to a Seymore screen material to replace my SMX material to pick up a little more brightness. I have a sample of it and it's a bit whiter than the SMX material.

Issues:

Lens shake:

Many have experienced a shaking of the image during deep or strong bass passages, myself included. The easy fix is to use the pink foam that came packed around the lens and fit it snugly back in around the lens.

VStretch IR:

There is no 'one touch' IR command for VStretch on the early RS2's. See note below. You will need to go into the menu to engage/disengage VStretch or do an IR macro to do it. I use a macro and it works perfect. The RS2 is very quick in handling IR commands. The only catch is that when you do your macro, you must include commands that back you all the way out of the menu to the start. Otherwise, you will not be in the starting position of the menu the next time you engage/disengage VStretch.

I will try to compile pics and links from the pages of this thread as pertinent info comes up:

Projector Overview:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL101733

Reviews posted on the JVC website:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/a...&feature_id=09

Throw Distance Calculator:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-...calculator.htm

For those interested in a true widescreen experience using all the RS2 has to offer, an anamorphic lens is a must have. Check out the Panamorph system. I have it and it rocks! Click on the screen to watch the video.

http://www.panamorph.com

Lamp Replacement:

Follow the links to the lamp and DIY method. Several owners have done this with great results.

toddius' excellent how to post(#4068) w/pics:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/957044/rs2-pro-fpj1-owners-setup-discussion-thread/4050#post_22476884

Lamp hour counter reset:

In standby mode.

Press Exit, Enter, Hide then hold Arrow down for 2 seconds or more.

Standby indicator will flash for 3 seconds and then go back to standby.

Once turned back on counter should be back to Zero.

Link to the Osram bulb many are using:

http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lamp69471.html

Quote from Alan Gouger on page 12:

"Guys try running the RS2 with Gamma set to 2.4

Then go in and bump 5 IRE 5 points. Set contrast to + 10 and brightness + 3.

The picture is incredibly CRT like. The projectors black level is able to handle the lower CRT gamma curves.

My experience with these settings any BD or HD DVD title that previously showed banding and posturization is now just as clean and solid as CRT. Amazing.

This is quite the projector."

I personally use this gamma and it is fantastic. My C & B ended up being a little lower than +10 and +3 based on the DVE HD/Avia disc and my personal taste, but to each his own.

Neutral density filters:

"Hi for all concerned. My ND Filter is a B+W 82mm ND 0.6 -2BL 4x Filter.

It screws straight into the front lens using the existing thread. There is no light reflection that Greg Rogers tells you to watch out for. It works bloody well." Thanks to Badas for that one. Do a Google search for many results.

And thank you to Badas for this one:

"A couple of weeks ago we were having a big discussion on ND Filters. I have always used them on my projectors. It takes away that raw digital effect. I had discussed using a 0.3 ND filter instead of a 0.6 ND as the lamp loses power. My Lamp is at 1280 hours and the light output was getting a lot lower.

I took my advice and got a 0.3 ND filter. I am happy to report that this trick works very well. It has let more light on screen but has retained that analoge look that ND filters produce. So when I have a new lamp I will use a 0.6 ND filter. When the lamp Dims (about 1000 hours) I will use the 0.3 ND Filter. If you are using a 0.6ND and find your lamp dimming try a 0.3ND.

I got mine from Amazon: Tiffen 0.3ND 82mm."

If you are considering the ND filter, make sure you check out Badas' comments on page 111 regarding filters and zoom range.

Quote from Matt Natale:

"Good News and Bad news.

Your RS2's main version must be 229 for these commands to work. There is no way to upgrade.

New RS-232 commands:

V-Stretch ON: 21 89 01 5653 31 0A

V-Stretch OFF: 21 89 01 5653 30 0A

New IR commands:

V-Stretch ON: 0000 006C 0001 0012 0142 00A2 0013 003D 0013 003D 0013 0013 0013 0013 0013 003D 0013 003D 0013 003D 0013 0013 0013 003D 0013 003D 0013 0013 0013 0013 0013 0013 0013 003D 0013 0013 0013 0013 0013 033F 0013 003D

V-Stretch OFF: 0000 006C 0001 0012 0142 00A2 0013 003D 0013 003D 0013 0013 0013 0013 0013 003D 0013 003D 0013 003D 0013 0013 0013 0013 0013 0013 0013 003D 0013 0013 0013 0013 0013 003D 0013 0013 0013 0013 0013 033F 0013 003D"

What this means is that if you have a later build of the RS2, like the RS2X instead of the original RS2U, these codes for V-Stretch ON/Off will work without having to do menu macros.

The ir codes below are on a Word doc. Copy and paste these using an ir program, like Pronto Edit.

Chris

RS2 IR Codes.doc 62k . file

Attachments

See less See more
#3,033 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery /forum/post/16882522

If you ever take a calibration tour anywhere near Michigan or NY State, pop over into Ontario and I'll make use of your expertise.
I'm only a two hour drive from Detroit.

Wayne, thanks, but, I've only been to Detroit once and it was -17F (wind chill)..... I was raised here in Southern Cal...... I don't do well in the cold
I don't travel for calibrations, and in 4-weeks I go under the knife (ans saw) for a new hip...... I won't be calibrating for a little while.....

#3,034 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieP /forum/post/16881199

Doe's not sound like it is something easy for the average bear to do just becuase they have a spyder.

I never thought it'll be as good as a pro (that's why I didn't buy the i1 in the first place). I just wanted to make things better than just using a test disc. From 20-90IRE everything is below delta error 2 and the gamma is better than what it was. It took me a lot of time but I'm satisfied with the result.

#3,035 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC /forum/post/16885138

Wayne, thanks, but, I've only been to Detroit once and it was -17F (wind chill)..... I was raised here in Southern Cal...... I don't do well in the cold
I don't travel for calibrations, and in 4-weeks I go under the knife (ans saw) for a new hip...... I won't be calibrating for a little while.....

Too bad.
If you do ever decide to take your show on the road...
and you head this way, just make sure you do it between May and September and you'll be fine.

About your hip, all the best. My mother fell and broke her hip about 14 months ago. She had a partial hip replacement and all is well now. For a while she wasn't doing any calibrating either!
Then again, I suspect you're below 83 years of age!!

Wayne

#3,036 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC /forum/post/16885138

Ouch!!!

Wish ya a quick recovery!

#3,037 ·
Thanks guys, the "official" medical reason for the surgery is pain relief........ AFAIK, I will have much less pain right after the surgery.... then in a few months I hope to be back walking 18-holes on the golf course, something I haven't been able to do fro the last 5-years..... (only 60!)

#3,039 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamer36 /forum/post/16880383

I am looking for a screen and was wondering what gain I should be looking at.

Projector is 18.5 feet from the screen and the sitting position is about 13 feet.

I would like to get a screen that is at least 120" diagonal.

Projector is the FPJ1.

Thanks for the help.

There is but one screen and that is the High Power.

#3,047 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/16916845

Not a price drop...we have a small batch of refurb units available...very competitive.

Oh refurb.. I thought they were brand new.

Jason you think any deals like this will be coming up for the rs20?

#3,049 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyalR /forum/post/16885328

I never thought it'll be as good as a pro (that's why I didn't buy the i1 in the first place). I just wanted to make things better than just using a test disc. From 20-90IRE everything is below delta error 2 and the gamma is better than what it was. It took me a lot of time but I'm satisfied with the result.

EyalR,

Looking at your original RGB and gamma curve, it looks like your main contrast setting is too high. If you bump it down some, it should smooth out the gamma curve at the high end, and make your red, green, and blue gamma much closer to each other and flatten the curve better.

You are overdriving the bulb, which mainly impacting red, but green slightly as well.

Dan

#3,050 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan /forum/post/16920337

You are overdriving the bulb, which mainly impacting red, but green slightly as well.

Dan

How can he be over driving the bulb?

Contrast setting has nothing to do with bulb but panel(s) contrast.

#3,051 ·
Maybe "overdriving the bulb" is not 100% correct terminology, but he is running out of red at 90% and partially green, because contrast is too high. I've personally seen this happen on a handful of projectors, and it's due to having contrast set too high.

On my Epson, the correct setting for contrast is 11 according to the AVS-HD REC.709 disc pattern, but when I do that, I get similar results to EyalR. I had to reduce contrast to 7 in order achieve better greyscale from 80-100%, and a nice straight gamma line.

You can set HCFR to continuous mode, and throw up a 100% stimulus grey window. Set contrast to a level that you know is a little too low. Now watch the red/green/blue %bars as you increase contrast. Once you reach a certain point, the bars will start to diverge. If you leave contrast at this point, you will not be able to achieve good greyscale tracking because even if 80 and 90% are good, 100% will be diverged, just like in his RGB picture. This also shows up in the gamma measurement because they are related. Even though the contrast pattern in the REC.709 disc says that your contrast setting could be higher, the projector can only go to a certain point before it becomes non-linear.

All you are losing by turning down contrast is a few lumens, but can you achieve better greyscale tracking, and better gamma tracking. You don't lose any picture detail or accuracy. Not all projectors suffer this way, but some do. It's not a problem, you just need to be aware of how to correct it.

Dan

#3,053 ·
So Daniel and Jason brought up the sale on the B units of the RS2 and I would like some input before I buy one. I won't discuss the price, but if you guys from A/V Science still thinks I should remove the post just let me know.

So the RS2 is two years old now. If you look at pure specs like Contrast ratio then the RS-10 beat it the year after..... So I am going to guess that JVC will come out with new models at the end of the year. I realize that at this point my question is going to be pure speculation, but that is all I got now (I couldn't fin anything about announced new lineup guessing that will be at CEDIA).

So do you guys think that the RS2 will be better than the model that probably replaces the RS10 this year / first of next? I can wait a few months if I have to if I get a much better projector. If they are about the same or the RS2 is thought to be better then I am going to go ahead and get one ASAP

Any thoughts? / What would you guys do?

#3,054 ·
If you want a better pj waiting always makes sense. But there is point you have to buy.

I doubt you will see a new one from JVC this year but hard to say for certain.

Any new model would better the older unit so you would need to decide when.

If money is not an issue I would buy the RS20 now.

#3,055 ·
One important consideration is future plans for a anamorphic lens. Depending on room size, the RS2 may be a better choice. For smaller rooms and shorter throw distances, the protruding lens of the RS2 is a real benefit.

The RS2 and RS10 (even the RS20) can benefit from a Lumagen Radiance for more accurate CMS. A Refurb RS2 or a RS10 with a RadianceXS might be a great option. I have access to some "pre-owned" RadianceXDs at the same price as the RadianceXS. A RS10 and RadianceXS package is about $1K more than a RS20.

#3,056 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab /forum/post/16926736

So Daniel and Jason brought up the sale on the B units of the RS2 and I would like some input before I buy one. I won't discuss the price, but if you guys from A/V Science still thinks I should remove the post just let me know.

So the RS2 is two years old now. If you look at pure specs like Contrast ratio then the RS-10 beat it the year after..... So I am going to guess that JVC will come out with new models at the end of the year. I realize that at this point my question is going to be pure speculation, but that is all I got now (I couldn't fin anything about announced new lineup guessing that will be at CEDIA).

So do you guys think that the RS2 will be better than the model that probably replaces the RS10 this year / first of next? I can wait a few months if I have to if I get a much better projector. If they are about the same or the RS2 is thought to be better then I am going to go ahead and get one ASAP

Any thoughts? / What would you guys do?

I bought a Pioneer over the RS10 for a couple of reasons. First off and most importantly that I got it for at least $1k less than the best deal on the RS10 at the time. In addition, in order for the RS10s to match the black levels on the RS10 in best mode you have to close down the iris and in that setup my understanding is the RS2s are brighter.

Also, I don't think JVC comes out with a new model every year. If I were you those RS2 refurbs would have to be 1/2 the street cost of an RS2 for me to bite. No telling what others will have to offer later this year but hopefully there might be some info next month around CEDIA time.

#3,057 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan /forum/post/16920337

EyalR,

Looking at your original RGB and gamma curve, it looks like your main contrast setting is too high. If you bump it down some, it should smooth out the gamma curve at the high end, and make your red, green, and blue gamma much closer to each other and flatten the curve better.

Dan

Thanks for the tip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.