post #3751 of 4249 Old 10-04-2010, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

No it won't. It won't work for any standard 2D projector, 720p or otherwise.

What that write-up failed to make clear is that this device is intended for owners of *** 3D *** projectors that are 720p, or (a bit rare) 2D projectors that can accept direct-in 120Hz for use with an outboard transmitter.

To my knowledge the RS2 doesn't accept 120Hz input of 720p signals. Plus, lag-time on the panels would make ghosting absolutely horrible even if it could work.

DLP is a different story since each frame can be literally on or off, eliminating ghosting entirely except for what may derive from sluggish LCD shutter eyewear.

Actually I thought it was pretty clear "You'll still need a projector that does 120Hz of course"...............

2 devices - 2 projectors and you can use it for 3D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 4249 Old 10-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro32 View Post

Funny
If you take a flash light and shine it into the lens you will see a fixed iris inside. In order to remove the iris you have to open up the projector and the lens. It's a bit of work, but worth the gain in light output for me.

I've had this projector since Feb 08 and have never noticed.
Wow you have balls on you to muck around with that.
I understand that the Lens is made up of 20 bits of glass and you tweak it.

My hat is taken off to you.

Ta

Dono
post #3753 of 4249 Old 10-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just purchased a new bulb for my RS-2. I am wondering what I should expect as far as output. I have a Stewart 100Grayhawk, and the projector is about 12' away from screen. My Enhanced Snyder3.Is giving me a 6ft Lambert.
post #3754 of 4249 Old 10-08-2010, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ahhhh DVD man. I have fought this battle and lost. I sent my RS2 back because I thought it looked dark. JVC replaced almost everything and I got a new bulb out of it. The old bulb had about 200 hrs and was giving me about 6 ft lamberts. A new bulb brought it into around 10 and I'm back to about 9 now. I do have a 119" screen though. And this works for me. The usual ft lamberts I think we should be looking for is 12-14. I just don't think we RS2 owners are going ever get that unless you have a 96" screen and sit at the minimum distance.

Good luck
Dave
post #3755 of 4249 Old 10-09-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 167
A Dalite Hipower could fix you right up, depending on your setup.

Noah
post #3756 of 4249 Old 10-09-2010, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you guys cleaned the prism? There is a thread about that an people doubling light output (back to what they were originally at)

The good stuff starts a few pages in I did a "summary post" of what I read but haven't had a chance to try it out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1223098
post #3757 of 4249 Old 10-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC View Post

I have a bulb with over 2600 hours on it.........

Hi Glen,

How did you do that?

Did you just re-set the counter?

Is it a JVC lamp? or one thats been changed?

Ta

Dono
post #3758 of 4249 Old 10-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

Have you guys cleaned the prism? There is a thread about that an people doubling light output (back to what they were originally at)

The good stuff starts a few pages in I did a "summary post" of what I read but haven't had a chance to try it out.

Hey interesting post.

Yeah I had been doing this without dicovering it. I will explain.

I don't have measuring equipment, so everything was by eye.

I have always with all my projectors taken the lamps out and cleaned every 500 hours or so.

I did this with mine (cineversum blackwing 3 RS2 clone) at 500 hours.
When I spotted the prism I cleaned that also. I also give it a light vacume, no touching. I have thought about air blasting but it might put dust somewhere unwanted.

When I did it the first time. I noticed it was way brighter. I even went wow.
I have also done it at 1000 and 1500 hours but with less noticable results.

I didn't know other people were doing this also.

I used a very hot wet micrfibre cloth and then a lens cloth to dry. No chemicals.

Ta

Dono
post #3759 of 4249 Old 10-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

I cleaned mine again last night.

I have 1879 hours on the lamp.
I used a very hot wet Microfibre cloth and then a Lens cloth (for cleaning glasses). Didn't feel like using chemicals.

The Lamp was clean and nothing came off on the cloth. The prism looked clean, however when I wiped it, it left black carbon on the cloth.
I did it a second time and it left a little less. Third time nothing.
I dryed with the Lens cloth and re-assembled.

I don't have testing equipment, however I would say it was 10% brighter (a Guess). What I really noticed however was the colour. It was more vibrant, which gave the picture more detail.

I had noticed my colour was slowly going off (I use the S&M disc), I just thought it was the age of the lamp. Cleaning it put the colours right back to where it should ( I used the disc).

The stuff that came off the prism was like a carbon. I thing it acted like the Prism was wearing sunglasses. Dims the light and screws with the colour.

I have decided to do this once a month. Well worth it. It is also really easy. 5 minute job.

I have some photo's of the inside and the crap on the cloth. I will post in the next few days.

I must say it is a squeeze getting your hand in the enclosure. Use small hands.

Ta

Dono
post #3760 of 4249 Old 10-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

I used a lot of "I" statements. (what a jerk)

I will see you latter.

I will have a great day.

I

Dono
post #3761 of 4249 Old 10-21-2010, 12:42 PM

Take this for what it might be worth.

I don't have eagle eyes or for that fact eagle ears either.

But my RS2 the other day was looking dim. I was playing Spartacus from a1960 regular DVD so that might have something to do with it.
(did you know they could find no print of that movie to transfer, only bits and pieces and Tony Curtis came back to re do the lines in the famous water scene in 1980, fascinating)

Anyway I decided to check my calibration and lo and behold my lumens as measured in CalMan showed it was down to around 7 "Y". It was around 10 for a 119" screen. So I switched into high pwr mode and got back up to 10. Bummer, I was hoping to save high mode for when I had around 1500 hours on this bulb which I only have around 100 presently.

Didn't finish that night and shut everything off to tackle it later.

Later came the next night and now my lumens were showing around 12.5 and back to low power showed 10.6. I was stoked.

Now the question is can you shock or possibly have the bulb brought back brighter by doing this?
post #3762 of 4249 Old 10-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Not sure, but you may want to try the prism cleaning suggested in the other JVC thread in this forum. BTW, even 7 seems high to me, although my meter is not the most accurate. Do you have this in a batcave? If so, I'd think at 12.5 you'd be burning your retinas out.

BTW, anyone with one of these who does not have a color management system box might want to strongly consider adding a DVDO Iscan Duo. I just added one and am very happy with the results. The gamma and gray scale controls in the FPJ1 / RS-2 are pretty useless in my opinion, and the lack of correct colors or a way to fix them, is the achilles heel of this pj. Now, for $1k or less, you can add a full CMS that is easy to use, and that is portable (i.e., you only have to pay for it once and can continue to use it when you upgrade projectors, as opposed to paying premium after premium for each successive projector that includes a CMS).
post #3763 of 4249 Old 10-21-2010, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but I've looked into this and you can see my actual bulb at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post18855623

Clean as a whistle (whatever that means)

But I'm curious as you said that 7 seemed high in regards to how Calman 3.7 measures brightness. I wish I was able to point you to Rayjr's lumens calculator but with it you type in your "Y" or fl value and it will give you the equivalent lumens which in my case is 440 lumens. Bright enough but not that bright.

Now I wonder what bucket of worms this might open up.
post #3764 of 4249 Old 10-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post

Thanks for the suggestion but I've looked into this and you can see my actual bulb at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post18855623

Clean as a whistle (whatever that means)

But I'm curious as you said that 7 seemed high in regards to how Calman 3.7 measures brightness. I wish I was able to point you to Rayjr's lumens calculator but with it you type in your "Y" or fl value and it will give you the equivalent lumens which in my case is 440 lumens. Bright enough but not that bright.

Now I wonder what bucket of worms this might open up.

I'm not familiar with Calman, as I use an alternate program. My meter is also not the most accurate for measuring lumens. So, I would take my prior statement with a grain of salt.

One last thing, your prism may look clean as a whistle, but a lot of others thought theirs did too, until the took a microfiber to it and picked up some dirt (or something). Mine looked very clean, but I still got some gunk off (not a lot). I noticed a little bump in brightness since. I have a theory that the FPJ1's plastic does not offgas as much as the RS-2 for some reason, and as a result, the FPJ1's may not be suffering as much from this phenomenon, but it is just a theory, and I have no data to back it up.
post #3765 of 4249 Old 10-22-2010, 12:30 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 View Post

I'm not familiar with Calman, as I use an alternate program. My meter is also not the most accurate for measuring lumens. So, I would take my prior statement with a grain of salt.

One last thing, your prism may look clean as a whistle, but a lot of others thought theirs did too, until the took a microfiber to it and picked up some dirt (or something). Mine looked very clean, but I still got some gunk off (not a lot). I noticed a little bump in brightness since. I have a theory that the FPJ1's plastic does not offgas as much as the RS-2 for some reason, and as a result, the FPJ1's may not be suffering as much from this phenomenon, but it is just a theory, and I have no data to back it up.

Well my FPJ1 has been dimming quite substantially lately. I am over 1000 hours, but the lamp shouldn't be this dim already. So I will open her up this weekend and get back to you all on how much my FPJ1 has offgassed or whatever. Will take pics of the procedure too.

TIL ALL ARE ONE
post #3766 of 4249 Old 10-25-2010, 06:12 AM

Liked: 17
WELL I DID IT!!!

I found a relatively small amount of black film on the prism. I also used some high-end swabs with solution for camera sensors. I did this to prevent build up in the future. My theory is that adding a solution designed to prevent dust/dirt buildup is why some people don't need to clean the prism every 100 hrs, while others might have to clean it all the time. You might want to try using a special solution to help the buildup issue.

I DID notice an increase in lumens, but it wasn't as dramatic as others have reported. Maybe 15-20% at the most. But that number is very subjective and wasn't measured. I also had over 1100 hrs before I performed this procedure. So I think the Pioneer FPJ1 must be different than the JVC models since, JVC owners complained about a much thicker layer of soot in a much shorter period of time.

I think I will perform this procedure again at 2000 hrs when I change the bulb, but I don't think I need to do this regularly. The build up just isn't as bad as other people have mentioned. It could be the FPJ1 though, which does have a different casing.

But I think the procedure was well worth it, and honestly the PQ looked sharper as a side effect. It was so easy to do and should allow the bulb to last a bit longer for me, which is money in my pocket.

TIL ALL ARE ONE
post #3767 of 4249 Old 10-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Hello Gents,
I thought I should share my experience with the cleaning of the prism of my FP-J1.
I purchased my PJ about two years ago and at the time I had a 90” diagonal Studio Tek Stewart 1.3 gain screen. As to be expected there was plenty of output – it was very bright. At about 1200 hrs on the pj with its original bulb I came across a great deal on a 100’ diagonal Stewart 4-way masking system with original gray hawk material 9.5 gain. When I switched the output just dropped so much that it was almost un- watchable. I decided to get a new lamp from Advance ****. Bad idea! Not only is it not a JVC factory product it was very dim. I then decided to clean the prism. It helped a bit but the not to the degree that some people have claim. Since that really did not work I decided to get another new bulb from Jason here at the AV Science Store. I received the bulb from UPS in perfect condition and it was labeled as a factory product. Finally the PJ is back to the output I expected!
Thank You Jason!!!
post #3768 of 4249 Old 10-28-2010, 02:43 PM

Has anyone tried the ee color box with this projector?
post #3769 of 4249 Old 10-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC View Post

I have been trying to find bulb options, no luck yet.....

Glen, any progress on a replacement JVC bulb with higher brightness?
post #3770 of 4249 Old 10-30-2010, 02:47 AM

YMMV but I decided to try the generic (ie, non OEM) AL replacement lamp since it was less than half the price of the JVC lamp. Immediately upon replacement I was quite happy with the improved brightness. However, now at the 4 month / 200 hour point the lamp spontaneously turns off after about 45 minutes to 75 minutes of use. I went back to my old 2000 hour JVC lamp and no problem (except dim, to be expected) with stability, so I'll pony up for the JVC replacement lamp. When I bought the AL replacement there was a 90 day warranty from time of sale (I didn't even have it in my projector by then). I notice that now there is a 120 day warranty and optional 1 & 2 year warranties.

Mark Stega
post #3771 of 4249 Old 11-02-2010, 02:42 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2358wt_907

A reliable source for inexpensive replacement bulbs. I have installed one on my HD100 and it works fine.
post #3772 of 4249 Old 11-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheeler View Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2358wt_907

A reliable source for inexpensive replacement bulbs. I have installed one on my HD100 and it works fine.

A these confirmd OEM?
post #3773 of 4249 Old 11-03-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 View Post

A these confirmd OEM?

Basically any lamp that is $140 - $200 is 99% likely to be a 3rd party. JVC list price is $400 and you can find JVC lamps from $300 to $400. If someone really finds a JVC lamp in the sub $250 range please share!

Mark Stega
post #3774 of 4249 Old 11-03-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkStega View Post

Basically any lamp that is $140 - $200 is 99% likely to be a 3rd party. JVC list price is $400 and you can find JVC lamps from $300 to $400. If someone really finds a JVC lamp in the sub $250 range please share!

http://www.shopping.com/JVC-JVC-Repl...BHL5009-S/info

How's this for a bargain?
post #3775 of 4249 Old 11-03-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheeler View Post
It's one hell of a bargain if it's a genuine JVC lamp. Who's going to take one for the team?
post #3776 of 4249 Old 11-03-2010, 07:00 PM

That's a bulb for the RS1. Does the RS2/FPJ1 use the same lamp as the RS1?
post #3777 of 4249 Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 PM

The one on the above link in not a genuine OEM. Although if you click on the link and look at the price comparisons to the right, the link to the lamp on ebay is genuine JVC for a very good price with free shipping.
post #3778 of 4249 Old 11-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMac View Post

That's a bulb for the RS1. Does the RS2/FPJ1 use the same lamp as the RS1?

Yes. The RS-1 and the RS-2/FPJ-1 use the same bulb.
post #3779 of 4249 Old 11-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Did anyone ever find out who actually builds the bulb for JVC? I tried sometime in the past and thought it was Dingo, but not positive. Also could be they changed. I know Philips build some for other JVC PJ's.

If that one on EBay is a original then could be its printed on the bulb, unless its just numbers. I never took a JVC original cage apart to see if any useful information on the bulb, but I have feeling there isn't any. I know its always been hard to find just the bulb, unlike some other PJ's which is easy and rear projection is also.
post #3780 of 4249 Old 11-23-2010, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How much more "pop", "wow", "wholly s**t" will I get with a correctly painted Silver screen in a light controlled room? Screen will be a 16x9, 130" to 138", FPJ1 the closest it can be to the screen "based on screen calculator?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page