Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLAY View Post

I have my lens shifted way down and see no ill affects

+1

I have mine right down the bottom also. Ceiling mounted so upside down.
I used the menu position to move to all positions to see if it stayed in focus.
It does.

Ta Dono
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 4239 Old 08-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Wher to you guys get your replacement lamps from and what is the cost? I see some selling for under $200 on Ebay but don't know if they are just a cheap knockoff.

Thanks,
Tom

Well, that's kind of a hard question to answer unless one just tries them. I believe most likely there are some "out there" that would probably work fine but its still kind of tricky. I been wanting to see if there isn't either a Philips or Osram (just bulb) that would fit. But it appears that's not all that easy to find out and also better if could actually hold one in person. But rarely had a problem with those two in all the rear projection type I've replaced, which would be in the hundreds.

Iwasaki made the Original lamp for JVC in the RS1 & 2. I assume they still do but haven't seen a new one to look at recently. But trying to find that bulb inside the USA appears to be about impossible, but can in China. (HSCR200V1H) is the Iwasaki bulb number.

The thing is though, I don't like that flicker they seem to develop so fast, and not sure about what I read to invert the bulb before 500 hours to stop it from happening. That would be easy to do but shouldn't be something I need to do.

So, actually I'm not that hot on the Iwasaki lamp anyway.

Then I read all the complaints about the new JVC projectors and lamps too dim and they don't seem to know if they change manufactures or not recently. But there's only a few manufactors that builds lamps for companies so seems like there should be something on the blub that tells.

Mostly its, Osram, Panasonic, Matsushita, Philips, Phoenix, Ushio, Iwasaki. Maybe a couple more unless someone new popped up. But with the rear projection lamps dying out, kind of doubt there is anybody new.

But yeah, there appears to be quite a few copies and fakes these days when regular people want to replace a lamp. But sometimes they even manage to trick the companies also.

So, I haven't really decided if I want to try a couple of Osram or Philips 200W Blub's to see if they actually fit. But I reckon I'll be keeping this PJ for awhile longer so guess I'll have to buy something sometime. Far as price, $265 plus shipping is about the best price I can get one with the magic word "JVC" on it, which is complete with housing of course.
post #3933 of 4239 Old 08-17-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry J View Post

Well, that's kind of a hard question to answer unless one just tries them. I believe most likely there are some "out there" that would probably work fine but its still kind of tricky. I been wanting to see if there isn't either a Philips or Osram (just bulb) that would fit. But it appears that's not all that easy to find out and also better if could actually hold one in person. But rarely had a problem with those two in all the rear projection type I've replaced, which would be in the hundreds.

Iwasaki made the Original lamp for JVC in the RS1 & 2. I assume they still do but haven't seen a new one to look at recently. But trying to find that bulb inside the USA appears to be about impossible, but can in China. (HSCR200V1H) is the Iwasaki bulb number.

The thing is though, I don't like that flicker they seem to develop so fast, and not sure about what I read to invert the bulb before 500 hours to stop it from happening. That would be easy to do but shouldn't be something I need to do.

So, actually I'm not that hot on the Iwasaki lamp anyway.

Then I read all the complaints about the new JVC projectors and lamps too dim and they don't seem to know if they change manufactures or not recently. But there's only a few manufactors that builds lamps for companies so seems like there should be something on the blub that tells.

Mostly its, Osram, Panasonic, Matsushita, Philips, Phoenix, Ushio, Iwasaki. Maybe a couple more unless someone new popped up. But with the rear projection lamps dying out, kind of doubt there is anybody new.

But yeah, there appears to be quite a few copies and fakes these days when regular people want to replace a lamp. But sometimes they even manage to trick the companies also.

So, I haven't really decided if I want to try a couple of Osram or Philips 200W Blub's to see if they actually fit. But I reckon I'll be keeping this PJ for awhile longer so guess I'll have to buy something sometime. Far as price, $265 plus shipping is about the best price I can get one with the magic word "JVC" on it, which is complete with housing of course.

I've tried getting a Philips or Osram replacement bulb and the US distributor/rep finally told me there is nothing..... I have to sell the OEM JVC bulb. The $265 is below dealer cost..... not sure if they are black-market or copies.

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3934 of 4239 Old 08-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC View Post

I've tried getting a Philips or Osram replacement bulb and the US distributor/rep finally told me there is nothing..... I have to sell the OEM JVC bulb. The $265 is below dealer cost..... not sure if they are black-market or copies.

Well, just curious if you actually purchased one yourself that was close to the same dimensions or had access to see if any would fit. I know some will say there are other things involved and there are, but most times a bulb will work if fits and about same wattage.

Unless I change my mind there is a Philips I'm going to try. I don't normally get lamps over 150-180 watts and those are larger for rear projection. But with all these different versions of lamps its kind of hard to find the dimensions. Distributors for the most part just know whats listed on paper regarding if there is a substitute or not. I've found nobody that lists either brand to fit a RS2. But that could be because its easy to get one online that might or might not be the original with a generic housing. Or just the Bulb itself also.

I know we tried one of those type in a Infocus PJ that was older and Infocus just wanted WAY too much. Its been over a year and I've never heard anything about it having a problem.

Also, that $265 price is from a distributor that don't sell anything but the original JVC BHL-5009-S, which is dealer cost. I assume you were talking to me when you said that about not being sure. But that lamp price does vary depending on the distributor I guess.

I'm actually more curious than about the money, and I would rather have a Philips lamp than what JVC has been shipping. But could be none will fit the cage.
post #3935 of 4239 Old 08-17-2011, 10:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well, just curious if you actually purchased one yourself that was close to the same dimensions or had access to see if any would fit. I know some will say there are other things involved and there are, but most times a bulb will work if fits and about same wattage.

Unless I change my mind there is a Philips I'm going to try. I don't normally get lamps over 150-180 watts and those are larger for rear projection. But with all these different versions of lamps its kind of hard to find the dimensions. Distributors for the most part just know whats listed on paper regarding if there is a substitute or not. I've found nobody that lists either brand to fit a RS2. But that could be because its easy to get one online that might or might not be the original with a generic housing. Or just the Bulb itself also.

I know we tried one of those type in a Infocus PJ that was older and Infocus just wanted WAY too much. Its been over a year and I've never heard anything about it having a problem.

Also, that $265 price is from a distributor that don't sell anything but the original JVC BHL-5009-S, which is dealer cost. I assume you were talking to me when you said that about not being sure. But that lamp price does vary depending on the distributor I guess.

I'm actually more curious than about the money, and I would rather have a Philips lamp than what JVC has been shipping. But could be none will fit the cage.

The bulb/reflector assembly is a common size, it is apparently not manufactured with the 200W bulb, but then the distributor didn't want to provide details to see if there might be a suitable replacement.... guys will generally work with you, however "SHE" basically wasn't interested in helping me. her comment "Have tried to cross reference and have come up empty. I know our stock -- which are all Osram and Philip originals. Will have to pass on this one. "

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3936 of 4239 Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

That's basically the problem, on paper there apparently isn't a cross reference. Even if they know their stock that don't mean much, unless they have personally tried. Plus I know the demand for people buying it would be rather low.

Anyway, not sure about all the different Osram right now but I see a Philips that appears it should fit and is rated up to 200W. So I'm going to get one just to see what happens. What dimensions I've been able to find most that go over 200W are some bigger and that is a rather tied fit in this RS2 cage. But would be kind of easy to grind out some of that plastic.
post #3937 of 4239 Old 08-19-2011, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got my fingers slapped for posting I was selling my RS2 on Ebay, DON"T DO THAT.

So I hope I don't get slapped for just posting it didn't sell.

Makes you wonder if there just not worth what you think or I had a lousy add?

So I'll be keeping it and enjoy it.

Dave

Wanted to wait till the new JVC or Panasonic's projectors come out anyway.
post #3938 of 4239 Old 08-19-2011, 07:23 PM
amt

They probably don't get what you want in today's market, but they are still really good projectors. Whenever I upgrade, I just might keep mine for another room or as a backup
post #3939 of 4239 Old 08-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Well, not sure if many are interested but I finally figured out which Philips lamp fits the RS2. There are some slight variations in dimensions with different 200W Philips and that causes the reflector not to be a match, because slightly smaller. But fortunately it didn't take me too long to find one that is correct and fits exactly right. I already gave some reasons why I'd like to try something besides another JVC made by Iwasaki, even though I guess overall its been OK compared to some. My current lamp has 2015 hours and that's why I started looking again. Anyway, I wanted to try a Philips or Osram and now I have a Philips. After turning the PJ on to me it appears some brighter than either of the two JVC Iwasaki's that I had. But I don't have a light meter these days so its just my eyes I'm going by. One thing is for sure, its not dimmer and its cheaper even though its Philips. But JVC wants to make money on their lamps like all manufacturers do of course.

But the rear projector lamp market is shrinking fast and bulb prices are falling. Most dealer's or repair people have been just replacing the bulb for years now, because it was a waste of money to pay for a name but yet its the same bulb inside. Even if they charged charged the customer about the same price. But front projector companies don't appear to going down in price with their lamps, which of course had much less sales in numbers.

Regarding the brightness, the only other things I have to go on is my last lamp change and comments from my brother. The first lamp I switched had about 1900 hours. I just went ahead and changed it even though it still looked rather good to me. After I did I clearly remember saying, well its some brighter but certainly no BIG difference. I was surprised how little difference there was. It was brighter but just not what I expected. I just assumed the old lamp had held on rather well, or either the new one just wasn't what it should be. But since the RS2 isn't known for brightness I didn't think much about it. Plus it was bright enough for my screen anyway, far as I was concerned.

But my brother also has watched this RS2 a lot and the first time I changed the lamp I didn't bother telling him and he never said anything about a difference. This time though, he wanted to know what I did because his opinion is the PJ has never been that bright. I do agree but again I don't have numbers to give anyone and I know memory on things like that is tricky. But he won't back down and saying its brighter.

So, I'll try it and see how it holds up. Be nice if it don't flicker around 500 hrs. Plus its much cheaper than buying the JVC brand. It can be purchased with a cage if buy from the right place, unless they just change sometime which some of those online places might do. Also Might have a new plastic smell, even though it appears to be a exact copy of the housing. I'm sure that would go away but I just put the bulb in the JVC housing which is really easy to do. I'd taken the old bulb out several times lately anyway.

That's my opinion on it and everyone has a opinion on Projectors and lamps. I'll probably keep this PJ a while longer or just move it I try another one sometime if I think its worth it. Usually I change more often but so far the one's I tried didn't really make me want to move this one somewhere else unless it breaks of course. It does have a MACK warranty but no real idea how that would turn out if needed.

The Phillips number that fits is -- PHILIPS UHP 200W P21.5 1.0

Its not the easiest Philips to find compared to some bulbs and prices vary on it but it can find if look around. There is a Osram version of it also, or by the number there is. If you want to get one already in a cage, just have to order from a place that don't use a Taiwan copy. But really just need the Bulb. I will add that if someone isn't familiar with changing just the bulb itself that the JVC version has the plug with the wires crimped on. All replacement bulbs has a place for screws and "most" all rear projection sets have this also with the original housing.

But since JVC does not you have to cut the wires off the old Iwasaki lamp and they are long enough to do that and reach the screws holes on the Philips. Or one could crimp metal spade type lugs on if wanted too. Also have to get the right screws, which I already had myself. But if you get one with a housing, they already have a plug on if of course with the screw type connections.
post #3940 of 4239 Old 08-29-2011, 06:21 AM
Ron
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The Phillips number that fits is -- PHILIPS UHP 200W P21.5 1.0

that looks like a description, would you happen to have the actual model number of this bulb?
also, if you find it in the housing, is the housing always the correct one for the RS2?

Thanks!

Ron

post #3941 of 4239 Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

that looks like a description, would you happen to have the actual model number of this bulb?
also, if you find it in the housing, is the housing always the correct one for the RS2?

Thanks!

Well, that is kind of both. UHP is Philips and P-VIP is Osram. Those other numbers are for the refector size, acr gap, ect. It appears Osram is easier to find in the USA than Philips in this bulb. Just have to look around and find one. A lot of the Philips bulbs that are sold here as replacements verses what they sell to companies has a PHI number. I never found that number for this lamp and they might not be one.

But yes, that lamp does come in different housings because it is used in other things of course. But most times they won't show up searching by number of the bulb.

Anyway, here are a few places that has the Osram version. Guess could call and ask if they have it in Philips. But either is fine in my opinion. Some places are over priced on it. When I was looking for what really replaces it and had some that were wrong, it was through a distributor that mostly just sells to someone that has a business type account. In the end they only had one. But the Philips is available it just appears its more easier to find outside the USA or from someone buying bulk and bringing them over to resell. But I haven't had time to search but so much.

http://www.tristatemodule.com/p-7848...ip-200w10.aspx

http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lamp69471.html

http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_...roductID=54971

I did checked a lamp that included a generic housing like the BHL-5009-S and inside was a Philips. That was just a few days ago from someone that I know that purchased it. The price has dropped some since then, but I'd assume its the same. But I'd take the bulb out of that housing and put in the JVC because it had a plastic smell that I assume would go away, but its so easy to change no reason not too. It already has a plug wired on with the screws.

Just go to Apexlamps and type in BHL-5009-S and it will come up. But you do have to search to find it, and not by their list of models.

Trying to go by memory I know in the UK there is a group I think called Pro-Gen. They would only sell lamps that were from from Philips or Osram I believe. They had generic housing with Philips bulbs inside and stated so. I guess it could be a place like Apexlamps get them from a group like that. Well, the one I just checked out did. I assume its OK to put those links in this forum. Sometimes AVS is funny about prices on some things.
post #3942 of 4239 Old 08-31-2011, 05:56 AM

Liked: 17
I take it the Pioneer FPJ1 and JVC RS2 lamps are the exact same correct?

I have the Pioneer and online the code for the lamp is exactly the same, except a (P) on the end BHL-5009-S(P) vs the JVC which is just BHL-5009-S.

Has everyone looking for a Pioneer bulb replacement just bought the JVC one?

TIL ALL ARE ONE
post #3943 of 4239 Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilallr1 View Post
I take it the Pioneer FPJ1 and JVC RS2 lamps are the exact same correct?

I have the Pioneer and online the code for the lamp is exactly the same, except a (P) on the end BHL-5009-S(P) vs the JVC which is just BHL-5009-S.

Has everyone looking for a Pioneer bulb replacement just bought the JVC one?
I'm sure a lot of people know the answer but yes its the same, just like the RS1 is also the same.
post #3944 of 4239 Old 09-13-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finally got around to ordering and installing my new screen material, the Seymour AT. 10' wide, 2.40 ratio. It replaced the SMX AT material.

While I can't say there is a night and day difference, I do notice a brighter image. The material itself is just a bit whiter in appearance compared to the SMX, so the brightness gain is understandable. I see no ill effects at all. The material is way different than the SMX. It seems to be more of a vinyl than a cloth, and it's a bit thicker. It was a lot tougher to install on my homemade frame. This material doesn't stretch much at all. For anyone planning on using the Seymour in a DIY frame, plan on having 3 or 4 sets of hands available to help.

Bottom line, a good upgrade for little money. I did this because of the fact that at 10' wide, I'm pushing the limits of the RS2 in terms of brightness. I had absolutely no qualms with the SMX material. It's a great screen but now will be up for sale.

I will take a couple close up photos of each screen and post them here for anyone interested.

Chris

My Home Theater is a work in progress.
post #3945 of 4239 Old 09-13-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I guess Im not the only one still slumming it with the RS2/FPJ-1.

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #3946 of 4239 Old 09-13-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Tom

I hope to be slumming it with my RS2 by the end of the month. It has been sitting in a box in my basement waiting for me to; a) get a job after being let go by a big bank, and 2) for the basement to be done.

Soon.
post #3947 of 4239 Old 09-14-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I love the RS2. It's been a great projector. If I had one wish it would be for the exhaust to have been run out the side or rear. I always run in 'high' mode so on quiet passages the fan is a bit too noticable. I made a deflector of sorts that I taped over the exhaust area that diverts the air to the side and it seemed to help. Come to think of it, I watched a movie last night and don't remember hearing the fan. Or maybe I wasn't thinking about it.

Chris

My Home Theater is a work in progress.
post #3948 of 4239 Old 09-15-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Tom

I'm curious if anyone has ever compared our projector to the newer $1K to $1.5K projectors (8350, HC 4000, etc.). Curious also how it would compare with the new sub $1.5k 3d projectors in 2d.
post #3949 of 4239 Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 PM
amt

I doubt there is anything in the 1.5k and lower that has nearly as good contrast.
post #3950 of 4239 Old 09-15-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 View Post
I'm curious if anyone has ever compared our projector to the newer $1K to $1.5K projectors (8350, HC 4000, etc.). Curious also how it would compare with the new sub $1.5k 3d projectors in 2d.
The RS2 blew the pants off last year's latest and greatest 1080p Epson model... I first bought that and then the SDE and dynamic iris were so bothersome I went with a used RS2 and was SHOCKED at how much better it was... including sharpness and detail.

I really want to go 3D and imagine that DLP might be best suited... hoping that the new Mits 3D model solves rainbows for me and is screen-door free at 1.5 screen widths... maybe this year or next I'll upgrade to 3D. I'd stick with JVC if they could do 3D with no ghosting/flicker with decent brightness.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #3951 of 4239 Old 09-15-2011, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by amt View Post

I doubt there is anything in the 1.5k and lower that has nearly as good contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

The RS2 blew the pants off last year's latest and greatest 1080p Epson model... I first bought that and then the SDE and dynamic iris were so bothersome I went with a used RS2 and was SHOCKED at how much better it was... including sharpness and detail.

I really want to go 3D and imagine that DLP might be best suited... hoping that the new Mits 3D model solves rainbows for me and is screen-door free at 1.5 screen widths... maybe this year or next I'll upgrade to 3D. I'd stick with JVC if they could do 3D with no ghosting/flicker with decent brightness.

My friend has an Epson 1080UB and it's not even in the same class as my Pioneer FPJ1. And from what I've read the lower end Epson's aren't even as good as the 1080UB. And last year I demoed an RS50 on a non-gained screen and I walked away liking the combination of my Pioneer FPJ1/Dalite HP 2.8 screen better. Both were close to the same throw and screen size and my projector probably had about 300 more hours on the bulb and I watch mine on low lamp and the dealer wouldn't take the projector out of high lamp mode on the RS50.

Having said that unless I hear great things I will be upgrading to an RS45 so when the time comes I'll try and remember to post my impressions at that time just any case it might help another out who is considering an upgrade. I have seen the Sony HW30 and I walked away thinking it was a very nice machine FWIW.
post #3952 of 4239 Old 09-16-2011, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

Tom

Good guess, Tom.
Although the RS-45 is making me think. Hard.
If it had built-in CMS it would be an automatic.
Gotta add in pro calibration.
I'm positive the newer JVCs will be a noticeable improvement but still, some friends were over awhile back to watch Rango and the cave scene was jaw dropping.
FWIW, for the time being I have no interest in 3D capablility.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #3953 of 4239 Old 09-17-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

My friend has an Epson 1080UB and it's not even in the same class as my Pioneer FPJ1. And from what I've read the lower end Epson's aren't even as good as the 1080UB. And last year I demoed an RS50 on a non-gained screen and I walked away liking the combination of my Pioneer FPJ1/Dalite HP 2.8 screen better. Both were close to the same throw and screen size and my projector probably had about 300 more hours on the bulb and I watch mine on low lamp and the dealer wouldn't take the projector out of high lamp mode on the RS50.

I also have the FPJ1 and the highpower, and I A/B compared to that same Epson model (I first bought the Epson and was so disappointed that I went with a used FPJ1 and was floored by how much better it was). The JVC LCOS was even *sharper* and more visible detailed than the Epson... something that ran counter to several reviews I had read. The harsh "digital" look of the Epson was an eyesore in every scene, the SDE a bother at 1.5 screen widths, and the dynamic iris clearly visible. I won't even go into the horrid digital hardness that crept into the image when engaging the sharpness algorithms... algorithms that had received high praise at several projector-review websites...

Quote:

Having said that unless I hear great things I will be upgrading to an RS45 so when the time comes I'll try and remember to post my impressions at that time just any case it might help another out who is considering an upgrade. I have seen the Sony HW30 and I walked away thinking it was a very nice machine FWIW.

I'm absolutely in love with *good* 3D, and so I'm waiting to replace my RS2 clone with a decent cross-talk-free 3D machine in the next year or so.

post #3954 of 4239 Old 09-17-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I wasn't interested in 3D at all until I saw the Sony. 3D just hadn't looked proper to me and caused me eye strain. Until the Sony, Avatar in the theater was the only thing that I was impressed with. I haven't spent enough time with the Sony to know if it's cross talk / ghost free but for the most part with the demo material I saw it looked good. There was slight fatigue but not bad. Maybe my eyes have grown accustomed to it I'm not sure but since I'm ready for an upgrade any projector that I'm interested in is going to have 3D anyway. Maybe I should just pick up a pair of glasses and the emitter and try a few movies first before buying 8 pairs of glasses.

On a side note, I need to research and see if I can get around having to replace my Denon 3808 since if I do replace it I will basically end up getting the exact same model to support HDMI 1.4 and little else will be gained in the "upgrade" for me.
post #3955 of 4239 Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

I purchased a Benq W6000 just for a "cheap pj" image quality reality check and promptly sold my FPJ1. My BenQ is sharper, has much better apparent color, more natural gamma, and better grayscale linearity from top to bottom than my JVC could muster. The Benq also has the best upsaling of DVD's I've seen to date, significantly better than the JVC and my Pioneer 05 BR player. Six months later and I'm still tickled with the Benq, the family and I are watching far more movies now and the consensus is, overall for my/our needs, the Benq PJ is more enjoyable.

post #3956 of 4239 Old 09-17-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughman View Post

I purchased a Benq W6000 just for a "cheap pj" image quality reality check and promptly sold my FPJ1. My BenQ is sharper, has much better apparent color, more natural gamma, and better grayscale linearity from top to bottom than my JVC could muster. The Benq also has the best upsaling of DVD's I've seen to date, significantly better than the JVC and my Pioneer 05 BR player. Six months later and I'm still tickled with the Benq, the family and I are watching far more movies now and the consensus is, overall for my/our needs, the Benq PJ is more enjoyable.

Interesting.

what were the trade-offs then? Black level I assume? Saturation? Anything that you miss or do you find that despite what was given up you forget about it during 99% of the content you watch?

post #3957 of 4239 Old 09-17-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I wouldn't trade the FPJ1's black level for The Benq's sharper picture etc.. Weak contrast makes the picture unwatchable IMHO.

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #3958 of 4239 Old 09-17-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

Interesting.

what were the trade-offs then? Black level I assume? Saturation? Anything that you miss or do you find that despite what was given up you forget about it during 99% of the content you watch?

I do notice the ultimate black level differences but surprisingly it's not something I really miss. During animated pictures I do miss the JVC's richer saturated colors at times but that quickly is forgotten about when viewing non animated pictures. In general this projector has allowed me to sit down and enjoy movies again. My Benq once, even loosely calibrated, throws a convincing picture that errors by omission rather than addition therefore eliminating constantly being poked in the brain. Everthing I throw at it looks fine enough to allow me to enjoy the flic.

post #3959 of 4239 Old 09-17-2011, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wouldn't trade the FPJ1's black level for The Benq's sharper picture etc.. Weak contrast makes the picture unwatchable IMHO.

Tom

Quote:

I do notice the ultimate black level differences but surprisingly it's not something I really miss...

Everyone has their preferences and with my middle aged eyes better sharpness would be fantastic but I could never make a switch at the price of black levels and deeper colors.
post #3960 of 4239 Old 09-29-2011, 11:30 AM

I thought I would post my comparison between the my RS2 and my NEW RS25.

In a nut shell. Keep your RS2! Not that the RS25 was bad or less, by all means no. It was I felt my RS2 was as good as the RS25.

I finally got my lumen output I was looking for in the RS25 of 12.5FL (recommended 11-14) compared to the I felt low 8.7fl with the RS2.

To bad this can't be more scientific but it's not.

The RS25 calibrated is great and out of the box, THX was great.

But I hooked up my RS2 to compare and re-calibrated, it looks stunning. Even at 8.7fl. A video EQ is great to have.

So I still have an outstanding RS2 with less then 5 hours on it and a new bulb. Guess I got a back up.

Oh ya, the RS25 has a stuck blue pixel in the top left corner. Can't see it from where i sit and JVC says it's within specs.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page