RS2/ PRO-FPJ1 Owners: Setup Discussion Thread - Page 141 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4201 of 4226 Old 07-02-2013, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Replacement Osram bulb arrived today, modified housing very similar to Badas' with slight change. Reset timer hopeful now with normal mode and turning high altitude OFF that I will have better results.

Just turned the RS2 on image is outstandingly beautiful, cleaned prism, front lens, anamorphic lens, bright whites, colors popping.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 4226 Old 07-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
^

Holey Crap! eek.gif Look at the heat marks inside your case. It has been getting super hot in there. Mine was nothing like that inside.

A little bit by the lens of the lamp. But nothing like that internally. Looked new inside.
With that much heat I really think it is a good idea to vent and I'm not suprised the other lamp failed.

I hope it all goes well Dude.
post #4203 of 4226 Old 07-02-2013, 09:17 PM

Update tonight after 30-60 minutes RS2 turned off, thermal protection got too hot. This never happened to the Genuine JVC bulbs. So after waiting 2 hours cooldown time turned back on and set to High Altitude mode for increased fan speed. Watched for 4 hours no problem. Then turned off High Altitude mode and in 15-20 minutes thermal shutdown again.

Opinions? I've heard the original JVC replacements have a higher tolerance for heat.... Perhaps the Osram just too hot? Even with my housing modifications? It is set for Normal lamp mode but I believe I will need to keep the High Altitude ON given what has happened twice tonight.

My projector sits near the ceiling and has the anamorphic lens in front of the exhaust perhaps the lens creates a slight bottleneck for the heat escaping..... I'm fairly certain but high altitude should just increase fan speed correct no other effects?
post #4204 of 4226 Old 07-03-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentium7 View Post

Update tonight after 30-60 minutes RS2 turned off, thermal protection got too hot. This never happened to the Genuine JVC bulbs. So after waiting 2 hours cooldown time turned back on and set to High Altitude mode for increased fan speed. Watched for 4 hours no problem. Then turned off High Altitude mode and in 15-20 minutes thermal shutdown again.

Opinions? I've heard the original JVC replacements have a higher tolerance for heat.... Perhaps the Osram just too hot? Even with my housing modifications? It is set for Normal lamp mode but I believe I will need to keep the High Altitude ON given what has happened twice tonight.

My projector sits near the ceiling and has the anamorphic lens in front of the exhaust perhaps the lens creates a slight bottleneck for the heat escaping..... I'm fairly certain but high altitude should just increase fan speed correct no other effects?
Isn't the JVC lamp a lot less watts that the OSRAM? That would explain the extra hot condition but it's disturbing that your pj is shutting down. I don't see the exhaust being the reason but.....? I made a deflector to get the heat going off to the side instead of right on to the lens.

My Home Theater is a work in progress.
post #4205 of 4226 Old 07-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

^

Maybe? The cut back cage design is letting too much heat escape???

Where are the heat sensors?

Do you get a warning before it shuts down?
post #4206 of 4226 Old 07-03-2013, 03:24 PM

No warning of course I wouldn't see it because the projector is in the other room (office) and it throws the image through the wall. I do recall a while ago though that before I added small fans ontop of the projector's intake that it shut down during summer, the room is usually 78-80 F so it isn't exactly chilly. With high altitude mode it is running ok during winter months it is no problem.
post #4207 of 4226 Old 07-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

^

So no warning message flashes on screen???

Those Warning lights at the back are useless. You can't see them from the front.
So even in the same room I don't see them.

Mine has only shut down during a power cut. once.
I had a UPS but it failed. So now I figure that when or if a power cut happens. I will just unbolt the cover quickly to let it cool down.
post #4208 of 4226 Old 07-18-2013, 01:50 PM

using my projector today it it turned off during use. no noise or anything, just shut down. none of the lights (power/lamp/warning) are on either. any ideas? tried a different outlet, I didnt lose power or anything. the rest of my equipment seems fine. is my ballast/mobo dead? :*(
post #4209 of 4226 Old 07-19-2013, 07:02 AM

has anyone tried replacing the power assembly on their own?
post #4210 of 4226 Old 07-19-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm sure it's out of warranty but have you tried calling JVC tech support? I haven't heard of anything like this before.

post #4211 of 4226 Old 08-14-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
After looking at all this I think using the original JVC replacement bulb will be my choice.
post #4212 of 4226 Old 08-23-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Just put an Osram bulb in one of my old housings. I ordered the screws and ring terminals online. I used a ring terminal for a butt splice and some wire from another housing to extend the short wire, so I could keep the "Top" side of the bulb on the electrical connector side of the housing. ( for table mount. I am guessing that ceiling mount it would be better to have switchewd the "top" side away from teh electrical connector, but i have never heard about this with the standard bulbs. Maybe that is because you really just can't do it without cutting the wires and adding some more wire, so no one has bothered to do it?. )

I would not have needed to do extend the short wire, if I could have been sure that changing polarity would have been OK. I think that someone a few pages back switched the connectors, but I could not be sure, so I bet that I could make a good connection wit a splice rather than reverse polarity.

I cleaned the glass area. It looked the same before as after. From my microfiber cloth on the pencils, it looked like all the dirt came not from the glass, but from the plastic area around the glass. That was plenty dirty, as was the part of the housing that butted up against it.

Switched the bulb to low immediately after turning it on. smile.gif

The thing I am happiest about is I do not see the green coloration to peoples faces, like I have when the pj was new, and after every bulb change.

Mine is an RS1, but I am discussing my experience with the Osram bulb install here, because this is where the discussion about the swap is. smile.gif

Old bulb had 3310 hours on it. Looked fine on removal, and was doing OK when I took it out. It is still intact, and can be used as a spare.

Thanks to all who had posted on this.

Now I guess I just need to get Calman and put my Radiance to good use.

Doug
post #4213 of 4226 Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 PM

Just a quick update - my RS2 mysteriously revived itself the next day. Ive put 40 more hours on it with no issues. It was mid summer, Im thinking something just overheated. No problems since!
post #4214 of 4226 Old 08-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

^

Mine did this once before (A long time ago). Been okay since. Think there is a over heating turn off function built in. What is stupid tho is that it should give a warning and do the shutdown sequence in which it didn't.

I'm running the Osram now as well. All good. The philips was better (brighter).

I'm moving away from this projector soon. Purchasing the Led Optoma 91 plus a budjet JVC (2014 model). Going to run a two projector setup. So sorry guys I won't be here.
post #4215 of 4226 Old 09-07-2013, 06:57 PM

I've got the Osram lamp for my RS1 (HD1), too.
Much better color without green cast, but too bright for my taste, so I turned the contrast down to -20.
So far, so good...
post #4216 of 4226 Old 09-09-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

For some reason the HDMI ports on my beloved FPJ1 have suddenly stopped working. Till now this has been by far my favorite piece of HT gear I've ever owned. I really had no complaints with it at all and was even planning to purchase a new bulb in the next couple months, hoping to ride another 4 out of it. I was planning to send it in and get it fixed, which I still may do at some point, but the more I think about dropping $1K on a repair, the more I think I'll just pick up a new machine and wait to get this one serviced in the spring.

So my question- if you were forced to upgrade right now, what would be on your radar?
I've given some thought to the Sony HW50ES- but I would really prefer to stick with a JVC unit.
I'm leaning towards the RS 4810. Anyone have any pros/cons I should know about- or another unit I should be looking at? 3D still isn't a deal breaker for me I would maybe watch 2hrs for every 1000 hours of SD viewing, so grea 3D performance isn't critical. A Good warranty, stable bulb, calibration features, uniformity, etc are all much higher on the list.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Turned out it was the HDMI cables all along. I finally found out when I set up a spare pj and still wasn't getting a signal. That prompted me to be aggressive with the cabling- and finally jiggling it at the BD player source got it rocking again.
Since I had the Pearl already set up by then I just watched it that night and waited till last night to get the Pioneer out and give it another shot- and finally had success.
I now have a healthy respect for having a good spare around. Unfortunately the Sony Pearl, despite only 100 hrs more on the lamp, is nowhere close to being a satisfying watch. I had to run the thing in high lamp mode with all kinds of jacked settings just to get a picture that was half way watchable. When I finally got the Pioneer back up last night, the difference between them was astounding.
Although I got more acclimated over the week to the thought of getting a new one, I'm not sure I'll ever have the same luck again as far as things like convergence, uniformity and absence of bright corners- all of which this unit excels at. Best electronics purchase I've ever made and I would love nothing more than to get another 4 years of similar use out of it.
post #4217 of 4226 Old 12-24-2013, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic View Post

I decided to try them out because they have very good disclaimers, description and warranty on their bulbs. They were one of the few places where I could order an Osram, Philips or JVC replacement bulb and know exactly what I was getting for a decent price. I’m glad I did, because Planet Bulb’s customer service is excellent.

My Osram bulb’s housing wouldn’t install all the way. The top mounting bolt wouldn’t catch the threading, so they RMAed it with a pre-paid shipping label. Many on-line sites make you pay return shipping, but Planet Bulb took care of it.

For my replacement bulb, I opted for the Philips version. I have a Pioneer Pro-FPJ1 (RS2 clone) and Pioneer’s parts site has a “P” designation on the lamp. I’m assuming this means Philips, so I thought I would give that a shot.
http://www.planetbulb.com/jvc-bhl-5009-s-philips-lamp-and-housing/

The Philips version fit much better and mounted correctly. The Osram bulb mounting hardware was probably just slightly off and not a problem with the Osram version itself. Planet Bulb said that they both come from the same manufacturer, so they should be the same. Either way, if there is a defect in the housing, they will take care of you.

The Philips bulb; however, has a burning smell, which the Osram didn’t. I don’t know if it is the bulb or the housing, but Planet Bulb said that the new bulbs could emit a burning smell, but it should burn off soon. If it doesn’t they’ll file another claim with the manufacturer.

If all else fails, they sell genuine JVC bulbs:
http://www.planetbulb.com/products/BHL-5009-S-JVC-Projector--Lamp.html

TL;DR – Excellent service. Give them a shot.

Hello Lads,
I don't come on to the forums much these days, but my FPJ1 will require a new lamp sometime. I have not checked it lately, but I know it has >1000hrs. Since it is getting some age on it, I'm wondering if it will become difficult to find replacement lamps. I clicked the links above and they still work, so I know there are still lamps available. I just want a plug-n-play lamp with no mods required if that is even possible. So I assume that means the genuine JVC lamp is the way to go...or does that need modifications to work in the FPJ1? I have no problem with a simple modification, but if it requires a lot of cutting and soldering, I'll pay the extra to make it simple.

Formerly known as J--- H----. Member since 11/2002. My real name was showing up in Google too much!

What we have heah...is a failyah to communicate.
post #4218 of 4226 Old 12-24-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

AVS has the bulb available at a good price. If you still have some life left on your current bulb, now is a good time to replace it- and keep the old one around for an emergency (or if the new one goes bad prematurely).

No mods needed with the 5009S. Very simple change out- unscrew 3 or 4 screws, pull the old lamp out by the handle, push the new one, screw it back.
post #4219 of 4226 Old 12-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post

AVS has the bulb available at a good price. If you still have some life left on your current bulb, now is a good time to replace it- and keep the old one around for an emergency (or if the new one goes bad prematurely).

No mods needed with the 5009S. Very simple change out- unscrew 3 or 4 screws, pull the old lamp out by the handle, push the new one, screw it back.

Thanks!

Formerly known as J--- H----. Member since 11/2002. My real name was showing up in Google too much!

What we have heah...is a failyah to communicate.
post #4220 of 4226 Old 05-31-2014, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This thread has been going a good long time and a huge thanks to everyone who has posted here with tips and tricks. That's what it's all about here on the good 'ol AVS forum.

I'd like to do a little poll of how many owners of this pj still have it in use. If you upgraded or changed projectors please post what you upgraded to and your thoughts on if it was worth it.

I'll start by saying i still have my RS2 and still love it. My only complaint with this pj from the start has been the fan noise. I wished they would have put it out the back instead of the front. Other than that, the money i put out for my RS2/Panamorph combo has paid for itself so many times over.

Who's next?

post #4221 of 4226 Old 06-01-2014, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I don't even have my RS2 any more, but I still occasionally lurk this forum. I loved my RS2. I have an RS4810 and a RS60.
post #4222 of 4226 Old 06-01-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsform1 View Post

. I have an RS4810 and a RS60.
How is the 60 compared to the RS2?

post #4223 of 4226 Old 06-01-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLAY View Post

How is the 60 compared to the RS2?

Equally DIM, a good match in that regard. biggrin.gif But horrid first couple of runs with the lamps. The most recent of which seemed to be better as far as not likely failing within 500 hours or being too dim to watch.
post #4224 of 4226 Old 06-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Still love my RS2. PQ is fantastic, had to replace the bulb recently. The thing was shutting off after almost an hour of running. After some research and such, I was able to open it up and replace the exhaust fan which appeared to fix things. The thermostat was being triggered after certain amount of time.
post #4225 of 4226 Old 06-03-2014, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Put a new bulb (JVC OEM) in back in December. I can't remember how many hrs I had on the old one (maybe 1700). It was far from unwatchable at the time. I was motivated more because I was worried if I waited too much longer, I may have have a hard time finding a new OEM for a reasonable price. I had no desire to go through the hoops you guys do to save a few bucks. I picked up the JVC bulb from AVS for about $360 shipped (with NYS taxes) and have been perfectly satisfied since.
Was expecting to be blown away with how bright it would seem, but that actually wasn't the case. In fact I had a hard time seeing much of a bump in lumens at all- especially when I zoomed out for 2.35 content. The new brightness level is satisfying now, but gives me a little concern as there doesn't seem to be that much room to drop as it ages. We'll see.

One new phenomenon that I never expected is that recently I've begun to notice the screendoor when the pic is zoomed out all the way. I'm sitting about 1X SW away....but have never experienced this before on a 1080p (including this one). It's not persistent , just showing up here and there in certain kinds of scenes. I've started to defocus a little - something I NEVER expected to have to do at this resolution. That seems to have done the trick. I also dropped the the Darbee setting down to around 25%.

Just a few weeks back I went region free with an Oppo 103, and the HDMI problems that I posted about last September seem to have gone away with the change in players. It looks like the problem was more at the source than with either the cable or projector, because I'm seeing a HUGE cut in the handshake time, and no dropping of the signal or fussing needed when it's initially turned on.

Otherwise, apart from the slight screendoor which is easily attenuated, I'm still very happy with the Pioneer. I squeezed in right at the tail end of the supply when they were closing these out which I still count as one of the luckiest things to ever happen to me.
I'd stopped frequenting the board regularly and it was just dumb luck I wandered into the thread where I saw people going nuts scrambling to get one while they could. If it had been a few days later, I might have missed out entirely and likely have something now that I can't wait to replace.

As long as this continues to perform as it has, the only change I can see making is to pick up another pj solely for 3D viewing. I would still love to get another 4+ years out of this one.

I will say, even more so than the change in bulb, the addition of the Oppo has made this seem like a new PJ.
Then again, that may just be the superficial effect of seeing a new splash screen all the time now. Whatever it is I'll take it biggrin.gif
post #4226 of 4226 Old 06-03-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
One new phenomenon that I never expected is that recently I've begun to notice the screendoor when the pic is zoomed out all the way. I'm sitting about 1X SW away....but have never experienced this before on a 1080p (including this one).

Wow - one screen width away is really close ! That's 4K territory !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page