RS2/ PRO-FPJ1 Owners: Setup Discussion Thread - Page 144 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #4291 of 4319 Old 02-29-2016, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have attached the troubleshooting page. It says with the lamp indicator light blinking and the warning light on that it's either Lamp does not light up and the unit is unable to project, lamp is turned off during projection or lamp cover is removed. However, it doesn't say what to do or what could be causing it. I have unplugged it for several hours and when I plugged it back in, it says the same thing. I know the lamp and lamp cover are installed properly since it has been working fine for the last 400+ on the bulb. However, just to be safe, I tried two older bulbs as well as my two spare bulbs and I get the same error on the projector. The fan doesn't even kick on. Once you press the power button, it immediately kicks on the warning light and lamp light starts blinking.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pioneer manual.pdf (46.6 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4292 of 4319 Old 02-29-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 5919 Post(s)
Liked: 3814
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchewd View Post
Hey everyone, I went to turn on my projector today and I get red lights on the standby/on and warning indicators. The lamp is blinking orange. I have tried using my two new bulbs as well as two bulbs I pulled due to hours. The current bulb is only at 300 hours. Doesn't matter which bulb I try I still get the same result when trying to power on the projector. I have tried different outlets as well. Anyone have any ideas?
Sounds like you have a choice to make. Send in for out of warranty repair or purchase a new projector.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #4293 of 4319 Old 02-29-2016, 10:28 AM

Yeah, that's what it's looking like. Just terrible timing to make a purchase!

post #4294 of 4319 Old 02-29-2016, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I wonder if you have a fan problem? It makes sense the lamp wouldn't light if the fan does not turn on.

My Home Theater is a work in progress.
post #4295 of 4319 Old 02-29-2016, 11:39 AM

Probably just need to pull it off the ceiling and open up the unit. Just a PITA to do that! LOL
post #4296 of 4319 Old 02-29-2016, 07:40 PM

I talked to my local Pioneer Elite service center and the owner was nice enough to tell me things to try from the service manual. It turns out it was the lamp door latch sensor was acting up. I used a screwdriver to depress it a few times then blew a very quick blast of compressed air on the sensor. Put the lamp door back on and fired up the projector. Came right back to life thankfully! Just wanted to let everyone know what to try if they ever encounter the same issue I had. Thanks again for everyone's help today!
post #4297 of 4319 Old 03-01-2016, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Glad it was something minor

post #4298 of 4319 Old 03-16-2016, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone point me to a specific post in this thread with a comprehensive settings list before I begin the journey through 144 pages of info? Had an unfortunate incident with my neice a few weekends ago and all my settings were "adjusted".
post #4299 of 4319 Old 03-16-2016, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I posted some info on the first page if that helps

post #4300 of 4319 Old 04-07-2016, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm in the process of retiring my loyal FPJ1 as I am getting a new PJ. I'm keeping the FPJ1 as a backup but cannot find the lens cover. Does anyone know what the part # is for one? JVC sells them on their web page:

http://store.jvc.com/catalog.php?cat_id=S103&page=1

Would the one for the HD1 fit the FPJ1?

Thank you for your help,

Basa14
post #4301 of 4319 Old 08-10-2016, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just replaced my first bulb, and the resetting of bulb life didn't take. That really doesn't bother me though. The projector runs great, but I can't get a HDMI source to show up. Tried directly linking from ps3 to pj, but still nothing. It worked perfectly until then. Did I change something when I tried (multiple times) to reset the bulb life?

I'll have to buy another HDMI cord to see it that helps.
post #4302 of 4319 Old 08-11-2016, 10:11 AM

Liked: 13
Update.

Unplugging the power has reset the projector, but it the lamp counter hasn't reset...

Oh well; at least I didn't have to upgrade.
post #4303 of 4319 Old 10-11-2016, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm hoping someone can help out with this old projector here -

I recently got a JVC RS2 for next to nothing - I was replacing an old 720p DLP Mitsubishi projector so I was happy to take it. (this also shows i'm not overly picky on the PQ!)

I use my setup for Sports, Video games, TV, movies, in that order.

After getting this projector setup, I cannot, for the life of me, get the projector to focus properly. I can get to the focus menu on the test screen, and it goes from slightly blurry to very blurry, but I cannot get it nice and clear. I've left if at the best possible spot but words are clearly blurry and its still noticed during sports and movies/games etc.

I am not sure if there is much I could troubleshoot to try and fix this issue? Would it be a result of just needing to be cleaned, and if so, how do I go about that?

If the bulb was significantly old would that cause this? I would think the bulb would only get dim (it doesn't appear to be dim) or have poor colors if it were a cheap knockoff (colors look great)... is there anything I could try out to fix this before I dump it off?

Thanks!
post #4304 of 4319 Old 10-11-2016, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Is the lens clean? Use proper product if not
post #4305 of 4319 Old 10-12-2016, 07:33 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post
Is the lens clean? Use proper product if not
Not sure I only mounted it and played with the settings a little - after some searching it appears there is some parts I should try to clean up - I've been trying to find a thread with some pictures to get an idea of how to do it (and what to use) but so far every thread i come across is in another language and the pics are gone.
post #4306 of 4319 Old 10-12-2016, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
post #4307 of 4319 Old 12-26-2016, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys, I've just picked up a second hand rs2, there doesn't seem to be any lens shift nobs underneath. It's labled as an rs2-g. There are 2 holes where it looks like they should be. Would there be any reason for them to be missing?
post #4308 of 4319 Old 12-27-2016, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow, been so long since I fiddled around there. If memory serves, some of the earlier models had manual lens shift. I believe the G series went to all remote controlled lens up/down left/right shift.

post #4309 of 4319 Old 02-11-2017, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm getting close to needing a new lamp for my RS2. Are they still available and if so where is the best place to get one these days?
post #4310 of 4319 Old 02-13-2017, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

They are. I have a new bulb still in the box that I need to install here in the near future. I believe it's a Osram brand bulb. I will get the number off the box and post it here. Or do an 'Osram' search in this thread. There has been lots of good posts here on 'how to' replace.

post #4311 of 4319 Old 02-13-2017, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Have you guys been waiting until they blow or does the quality just go to crap? I'm still on an original lamp after all these years. But we don't use ours so much.

Formerly known as J--- H----. Member since 11/2002. My real name was showing up in Google too much!

What we have heah...is a failyah to communicate.
post #4312 of 4319 Old 02-13-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauffD View Post
Update.

Unplugging the power has reset the projector, but it the lamp counter hasn't reset...

Oh well; at least I didn't have to upgrade.
FYI to reset the lamp timer you have to follow the instructions in the manual while the projector is turned OFF (manual doesn't state that it needs to be off).
post #4313 of 4319 Old 02-15-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLAY View Post
They are. I have a new bulb still in the box that I need to install here in the near future. I believe it's a Osram brand bulb. I will get the number off the box and post it here. Or do an 'Osram' search in this thread. There has been lots of good posts here on 'how to' replace.
Can you get them already installed in a housing? Even though I have no problem with doing a little soldering, I really don't want to deal with it.

Frankly at that point I'd just spend the extra $$$ and get an OEM replacement.
post #4314 of 4319 Old 02-16-2017, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

https:/www.amazon.com/JVC-DLA-RS2-Replacement-Projector-BHL-5009-S/dp/B0017OK2S8

I believe this is what you're looking for.

I called Osram and they really don't have much anymore on the RS2 bulbs. I guess we should buy up what we can now for the future if we are to keep our projectors.

post #4315 of 4319 Old 02-21-2017, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, I recently got a RS2 projector. Without the remote unfortunately, and when I tried adjusting the focus/zoom with the onboard controls, as per users manual, nothing happens.

Is the remote control necessary for such changes (which wouldn't make sense) or could my focus/zoom mechanism just be broken?

Thanks!
post #4316 of 4319 Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM

Fan and Osram

Is there anyone running the Osram that is NOT having to run it in High Altitude mode? I want the extra brightness of the Osram but do not want to run into heat issues or have to run the RS2 in high altitude mode all the time. Any comments on the length of life of the Osram would be appreciated as well. Thanks guys.
post #4317 of 4319 Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith967 View Post
Is there anyone running the Osram that is NOT having to run it in High Altitude mode? I want the extra brightness of the Osram but do not want to run into heat issues or have to run the RS2 in high altitude mode all the time. Any comments on the length of life of the Osram would be appreciated as well. Thanks guys.
I'm still running my original lamp on our FPJ1. I was just saying to my wife tonight that I need to check the hours. Now, I'm wondering just what the high altitude mode is you are asking about.

Formerly known as J--- H----. Member since 11/2002. My real name was showing up in Google too much!

What we have heah...is a failyah to communicate.
post #4318 of 4319 Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
I'm still running my original lamp on our FPJ1. I was just saying to my wife tonight that I need to check the hours. Now, I'm wondering just what the high altitude mode is you are asking about.
High Altitude mode for projectors is simply a setting that runs the fan at a higher speed. For higher elevations where the air is thinner, this may be needed in order to properly cool the projector. My question related to using this high fan speed mode (called High Altitude in the settings on the RS2) in order to properly cool a DIY Osram lamp in a JVC housing. Many have noted on this thread that while the Osram lamp works if installed properly in a housing, it is hotter than the original lamp and this causes the projector to shut down to prevent over heating. However, some have modified the lamp housing (like Badas, see the link below) in order to keep the hotter lamp cool. I was simply wondering if making this modification resulted in no longer needing to use the projector in High Altitude mode. Why do I ask? Because the High Altitude mode increases fan noise and I want to avoid the fan noise if I can.

Osram cooling mod: RS2/ PRO-FPJ1 Owners: Setup Discussion Thread
post #4319 of 4319 Old Today, 08:12 AM

Examples of modified housings

Here are two examples of the modified housings that may allow user to run the lamp in Normal Lamp mode (not-eco) and not be forced to run it also in High Altitude mode as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
Okay,

I have done very heavy experimentation of the JVC lamp. I was getting the white uniformity changing on the Osram and the Philips lamps as they heat up. When they first start up they are fine. If you watch in the cold they are also. So I have modified the cage to let more air flow in.

I also wondered about those ridges in front of the lens on the Osram/Philips. So first things first I grabbed my Philips which had the most hours on it (400 hours) and put it on a grinder. I took off those ridges so the lens laid flat on the JVC housing.

The Osram and the Philips. Note the ridges in front of the Lens.

The Philips with the ridges taken off.

Next I modified the cage. I took off all the sides except the side that holds the electrical point. This allows no heat to generate in the cage. It is interesting that the new JVC lamps for the latest projectors are like this in design. Completely open.

Lastly. Make sure the part of the lamp labelled TOP is next to the power point. It makes a difference. The lamp in the post three before mine will discolor in time. It will take about 100 hours or so. It is upside down. If you look at the JVC lamp they are labeled Top also and have the Top located at the power point.

This Philips was my worst lamp. It had very heavy white discolour to the left hand edge (projector inverted). It is now my best lamp. Absolutely perfect now. Interestingly. I have a brand new JVC lamp. Just 2 hours on it. This Philips with 400+ hours on it is brighter and has better uniformity. I'm going to use the JVC as a spare. Eventually I will convert it to my modified cage design. So I have a new JVC, new Osram and 400 hours on this Philips. I think I'm set for lamps for a while now.

I hope this is helpful. A lot of mucking around, however I am thrilled. I always want my stuff to be the best it can be.

Ta Dono
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentium7 View Post
Replacement Osram bulb arrived today, modified housing very similar to Badas' with slight change. Reset timer hopeful now with normal mode and turning high altitude OFF that I will have better results.

Just turned the RS2 on image is outstandingly beautiful, cleaned prism, front lens, anamorphic lens, bright whites, colors popping.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page