Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4248 Old 03-30-2008, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

120" wide 2.35:1 screen. Preferred seating distance is about 13' from the screen.
16:9 content is pillarboxed so it is more like a 92" wide 16:9.

We have seating that is about 10' from the screen too, but I prefer the 2nd row to the 1st and 3rd

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4248 Old 03-31-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

For standard DVD's has anyone compared output from an Oppo DVD player at 480i letting the RS2 upconvert to a Blue Ray player doing the upconversion? This may have been asked on this forum or maybe it is on the Player forum but I did not find it. Sorry if this is a repeat.

After quite a lot of testing, the picture of a DVD coming from my Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD player is definitely the nicest. Then come the RS2 doing the whole job and last my yamaha rx-v3800 (in this last two case I use a Denon 2900 to output DVD at 576p).
I know it is not totally answering your question, but I would say that a good blu-ray player (which means with good upscaler) sohuld be the best.
post #723 of 4248 Old 03-31-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Oddly enough, a Panasonic BD50 I was working on yesterday seemed to have quite poor DVD upscaling. Lots of digital artifacts and oversharpening compared to the RS2 doing the job itself. Hopefully, it was just some settings that we didn't find that were causing the problem. Otherwise, we'll probably add an OPPO DVD player.

Guy Kuo
post #724 of 4248 Old 03-31-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

My PS3 used to look like crap on DVD output, but it is looking pretty good these days with the latest firmware updates. It isn't as good as the XA2, but it is better than my OPPO 971H.

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
post #725 of 4248 Old 03-31-2008, 08:10 PM

I play games on the RS2 as well as blu-ray, HDTV from fios, and DVD's.

I love the huge screen for playing games!

It is a 123" diagonal and I sit about 10' away.

Thanks for the feedback Cameron. I think I found the sweet spot after some tweaking playing back DVD's from my Mac Mini =) It's not as good as the PS3, or the XA2, but it's good enough for those movies I don't want to or can't yet upgrade to Blu-Ray.
post #726 of 4248 Old 03-31-2008, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool. Are you running mac OS on the mini or XP?
I am running XP one one I have and it hasn't been doing well at all lately with audio.

My problem with playing some games on the big screen is that I get freakin' motion sick on the FPS variety.

post #727 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 12:45 AM
DBI

Location: Major residence in Sammamish Wa. @ Vacation home in Lake Havasu City Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Kuo View Post

Oddly enough, a Panasonic BD50 I was working on yesterday seemed to have quite poor DVD upscaling. Lots of digital artifacts and oversharpening compared to the RS2 doing the job itself. Hopefully, it was just some settings that we didn't find that were causing the problem. Otherwise, we'll probably add an OPPO DVD player.

Is that a preproduction unit? Unless my information is wrong, I heard the BD50wasn't coming out until late May. I am curious if it was a BD50 were you able to find the upscaling problem. I was strongly considering this unit for my RS2 ht.
Thanks,Doug
post #728 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I mistyped. It was the BD30. More and more I suspect we set something incorrectly in the player. Didn't spend much time on setting up SD DVD since we were more interested in BluRay to see how the RS2 would do with a nice HD signal.

Guy Kuo
post #729 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Guy Kuo,

Are you setting up the RS2 for yourself or someone else? What do you think of the RS2?

Thanks.
post #730 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 08:36 AM

On the mini I am running OS X. I have found that the mac is much better at working with the projector.

For instance, I tried hooking up my brand new laptop with a nice videocard and hdmi output to the projector and it came up at 1280x1024, centered, and vertically stretched by default. I had to go into the settings to get it to display nicely, and even there I could only select 720p and the picture quality was slightly washed out. On the other hand, the mac mini, using a dvi->hdmi cable no less, auto detected the projector, settings, and output a contrasty beautiful 1080p picture from the beginning!

Also, the mac had an optical out (disguised as a minijack), a remote control (which runs great using the RemoteBuddy software), and dvd player built in. I don't imagine that XP or Vista would run as smoothly on the mini connected to the projector but I could be wrong

Some people are more susceptible to motion sickness than others. I happen to be one of the lucky ones I guess. Have you tried a game with built in motion blur? I have found those to be less troublesome because the game produces a motion blur that is more "realistic" than when it is due to the natural motion adaptive nature of the projector. Mass effect and uncharted have in-game motion blur and probably others...
post #731 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Guy Kuo,

Are you setting up the RS2 for yourself or someone else? What do you think of the RS2?

Both, actually.

The RS2 is a digital projection that finally crosses the threshold at which both bright and dark scenes are rendered convincingly. Those dark scenes that were not quite right on lower contrast digital projections are given depth and dimensionality by the RS2. Star fields in SciFi flicks are dark enough to reveal the dim colors in them. The washout of elevated black levels always obscured those subtleties unless you used a CRT. We had great performance in bright scenes and sharpness previously. With the RS2, we have finally arrived to the point at which that last 5% dark image performance is usually getting satisfied. It's not perfect, mind you. I'd be be even happier at even darker blacks, but the RS2 is going to do it for most viewers. So, yes. I have one in my own room and am converting a few former CRT installs.

Guy Kuo
post #732 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool!

Hey is anybody here doing a Pronto Pro setup with your RS2? I am just getting started. The RS2 part is easy. Now the 2-way receiver stuff is going to be tricky methinks.

post #733 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 10:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Guy - Are you pairing the RS-2 with a CC filter to get even more on/off CR?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #734 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Hey is anybody here doing a Pronto Pro setup with your RS2?

I am using the Pronto TSU9600 with an RFX9600 and the RS2. I have IR going to the RS2 which is working fabulously. I like having the IR port behind the projector. And then I have RS-232 going to my Arcam receiver. It was kind of a bear to get working and it's still not perfect (for instance the RFX will sometimes lose the ability to transmit and I have to unplug and replug it in).

But, I have it so that when I press the volume up on the pronto I see the updated volume on the pronto, and when I mute, the remote tells me I'm muted. It's pretty sweet!

The trick for me was to have a generic method set to run every second to receive data from the receiver. Then, if it is a mute command it updates the mute graphic, if it is a volume command it updates the volume graphic. So whenever I change the volume, either through the remote rs-232 commands or turning the knob on the receiver, the message gets sent to the remote. And when the remote first goes to each page, it runs a getVolume command to the receiver, without looking at the response (because the generic method will see the response)

My next trick will be to detect going to and from the mac mini, and updating the HDMI black level from normal to expanded. The only way I found to do it was to macro the menu commands to get there, does anyone have a simpler way of changing that with an IR or serial command?
post #735 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Guy - Are you pairing the RS-2 with a CC filter to get even more on/off CR?

No. I did try it, but the net light output loss would have required me to switch to high lamp mode to keep the screen bright enough. It did indeed deepen blacks, but adding the FLD didn't leave enough light output to work in my configuration (relatively long throw to a Carada BW 126 inch)

Guy Kuo
post #736 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Guy!

I forgot you use the Carada BW screen. Mind one more question?

I plan on getting the JVC RS2, to be used in a fully light controlled room with dark decor.
I like good black levels (and of course a decently brilliant image) so I've been agonizing over which Carada screen material to get, either the neutral gain CCW or the 1.4 gain BW material. My screen size will be very close to the size you are using.

With that preamble: Do you like the Carada BW and, more specifically, do you find you are achieving satisfying black levels with the RS2/Carada BW combo? (Sounds like you are...)

Thanks,
post #737 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

If you are close to my size screen, I'd do the BW fabric. The brighter fabric will give you image a better "pop" and still give you adequate blacks. Remember the bulb will dim over time and plan accordingly. The BW will buy you some hours before needing to engage high bulb mode.

Guy Kuo
post #738 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 12:06 PM

Rich,

On my 123" diagonal 16x9 stewart screen with 1.3 gain, I find the black levels adequate. I still see shadow puppets and I will be getting a masquerade, but the black levels still look on par with my old rear projection CRT if not better. I wouldn't want to go with any less gain though because the picture definitely isn't as bright as our bedroom plasma...
post #739 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 12:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Thanks Guy, do you remember what the before and after on/off was? I have a smaller screen and a highpower, so I could afford the brightness loss.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #740 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disillus View Post

I am using the Pronto TSU9600 with an RFX9600 and the RS2. I have IR going to the RS2 which is working fabulously. I like having the IR port behind the projector. And then I have RS-232 going to my Arcam receiver. It was kind of a bear to get working and it's still not perfect (for instance the RFX will sometimes lose the ability to transmit and I have to unplug and replug it in).

But, I have it so that when I press the volume up on the pronto I see the updated volume on the pronto, and when I mute, the remote tells me I'm muted. It's pretty sweet!

The trick for me was to have a generic method set to run every second to receive data from the receiver. Then, if it is a mute command it updates the mute graphic, if it is a volume command it updates the volume graphic. So whenever I change the volume, either through the remote rs-232 commands or turning the knob on the receiver, the message gets sent to the remote. And when the remote first goes to each page, it runs a getVolume command to the receiver, without looking at the response (because the generic method will see the response)

My next trick will be to detect going to and from the mac mini, and updating the HDMI black level from normal to expanded. The only way I found to do it was to macro the menu commands to get there, does anyone have a simpler way of changing that with an IR or serial command?

That is very similar to my plans. That sucks on the RFX9600. How often does yours crap out?

I will be doing the same stuff. IR to the RS2 and Serial control to my Onkyo 805.

I wonder if anybody has figured out how to send/receive UDP packets using Prontoscript. That would really be helpful with my Crown ITech amplifiers.

post #741 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #742 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

That is very similar to my plans. That sucks on the RFX9600. How often does yours crap out?

I will be doing the same stuff. IR to the RS2 and Serial control to my Onkyo 805.

I wonder if anybody has figured out how to send/receive UDP packets using Prontoscript. That would really be helpful with my Crown ITech amplifiers.

I've had to reboot it a couple of times out of the 2 weeks it's been working. I'm still not sure if it's the RFX or the receiver though that is having problems. Not sure about doing UDP...
post #743 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Thanks Guy, do you remember what the before and after on/off was? I have a smaller screen and a highpower, so I could afford the brightness loss.

Sorry, I didn't pull numbers after I saw it wasn't going to be quite bright enough for me.

If you want to experiment for yourself the cost of a good Hoya FLD filter is pretty low from http://www.2filter.com/hoya/hoya80fldflw05.html

Scroll down to nearly the bottom and you'll see the multicoat FL-Day HMC filters in various sizes. None are exhorbitant. (Don't mistakenly get the FLW filter)

Guy Kuo
post #744 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Thanks Guy!

I forgot you use the Carada BW screen. Mind one more question?

I plan on getting the JVC RS2, to be used in a fully light controlled room with dark decor.
I like good black levels (and of course a decently brilliant image) so I've been agonizing over which Carada screen material to get, either the neutral gain CCW or the 1.4 gain BW material. My screen size will be very close to the size you are using.

With that preamble: Do you like the Carada BW and, more specifically, do you find you are achieving satisfying black levels with the RS2/Carada BW combo? (Sounds like you are...)

Thanks,

Rich, I previously had a 110" Carada with the CCW (1.0) and moved to the BW fabric. I don't know if they've modified their CCW over the past few years but I found it to let a lot of light through and really was not even as good as neutral gain Dalite material (from Model C). The BW was much better and was great with the H79 and VW50 I used with it.
post #745 of 4248 Old 04-01-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Robz,

Thanks. I know projectorcentral dissed the CCW material for letting too much light through and mentioning a blue shift. From what I've read the BW is more color accurate...among the more "color accurate" screen surfaces you can get, in terms of not introducing pronounced color shifts. (Although I presume you can calibrate properly for pretty much any decent commercial screen).

I'm really stoked on the Carada screen material (I have samples of all 3) due to the lack of visible screen structure and wide viewing angles. It's perhaps due to being an early plasma adopter, living with plasma for the last 6 years, I always found it quite hard to
deal with the "silk screen effect" of seeing the screen structure on RPTVS (and even LCD flat panels have a granular quality), as well as the hotspotting and general "shiftiness" of the image of RPTVs and LCDs vs plasma. Once I moved in the the front projection hunt all these criteria reared their head again. I found I could really see the screen material of most screens, especially gray screens and screens with gain, not to mention narrowed viewing angles of the gain screens (and screens like the Firehawk).

The Carada BW seems to be just the ticket for meeting my criteria. I can't see any screen structure when I project an image on to the samples, just as others have said of the screen, and the relatively wide viewing area is just what I want. Of course that means I have to be all the more sure about killing room reflections, but I'd be trying to do that anyway.

I'll be ordering a Carada Masquerade masking system, and I plan to add my own side masking system for 4 way masking.
post #746 of 4248 Old 04-02-2008, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was extremely happy with the Carada BW. Nothing to complain about. They are a fantastic company. When I wanted to change from the CCW to the BW they sent me the replacement material at what was a fraction of the original cost. If I could go fixed screen again I would purchase another Carada.
post #747 of 4248 Old 04-02-2008, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I've actually never seen more consistent consumer satisfaction and enthusiasm for any company than Carada, particularly in terms of how they handle customers. That plays out on AVS but even on the projector central "rate this seller" section, you can go through pages and pages of people rating their experience with Carada, every single one 5 out of 5 stars and every single one nothing less than a rave. Never quite seen that before.

And in my dealings with Carada so far everything people have raved about is true.

Not to be a commercial for Carada, but when a company provides customer service that good they deserve being singled out. And if any potential RS2 owners are looking at screens a heads up about Carada is in order.
post #748 of 4248 Old 04-02-2008, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

I've actually never seen more consistent consumer satisfaction and enthusiasm for any company than Carada, particularly in terms of how they handle customers. That plays out on AVS but even on the projector central "rate this seller" section, you can go through pages and pages of people rating their experience with Carada, every single one 5 out of 5 stars and every single one nothing less than a rave. Never quite seen that before.

And in my dealings with Carada so far everything people have raved about is true.

Not to be a commercial for Carada, but when a company provides customer service that good they deserve being singled out. And if any potential RS2 owners are looking at screens a heads up about Carada is in order.

I just wish they offered a screen material like the Dalite HP, which works so well for a relatively narrow room (and provided the pj can be appropriately mounted, etc.).
post #749 of 4248 Old 04-02-2008, 11:50 PM

I just received my Stewart Studiotek 130 54x127 screen and Prismasonic HD-5000R lens and will be hopefully getting it all up and running this weekend.
Alan-- I was hoping to see some photos of your setup soon and your thoughts on it.
I will report back when mine is up and going.
post #750 of 4248 Old 04-04-2008, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I have a 106" diag carada BW with my RS2 and really enjoy the combo. When I got my rs1 I was using the da-lite HCCV and then I got the Carada BW. The black level didn't seem to change much and the image had more depth with more accurate representation of colours (ie white) and of course the image was a bit brighter...what more could one ask for?

I'm at 125 hours on my RS2 and still have the same level of enthusiasm. If anything, it looks even better now since the black level is darker from the bulb aging. I watched i,robot recently and the image was stunning.

Oh and someone before asked about gaming on the rs2- I have a ps3 and xbox360 hooked up to it and games look incredible on it. I've been playing a lot of Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 on the 360 and am really impressed with how it looks on the RS2. The casino level in terrorist hunt makes me pause playing at the start because I am that impressed with how good it looks.

While not seeing every pj out there, I have got to think the rs2 is one of the most complete units you can get. Great black level, great shadow detail, great detail/very good sharpness (my RS2 is pretty sharp and clearly sharper than my old RS1, simple as that...maybe others aren't that sharp but mine is), good depth in bright scenes (something the rs2 clearly improves on from the rs1), pretty good brightness, etc and a good price for what you get compared to other great PJs like the 11S2 which costs what, almost double yet will still have inferior low apl performance. The RS2 isn't perfect and isn't tops in every area but I think overall it is a pretty damn good product especially with the added depth in bright scenes which was somewhat lacking in the rs1 and with the extra detail it can produce which again, the rs1 couldn't achieve. I think that there are probably many people out there who would discount the rs2 as simply an rs1 with a higher on/off but the fact of the matter is that it is much more than that and clearly fills some of the shortcomings that the rs1 had. That the RS2 improvements exceeded my expectations (I went in expecting better black, and a bit more depth) IMO says alot about how good this machine is. I know the colour issue is its biggest weakness but IMO the oversaturation just simply isn't a big issue most of the time as things still look natural...again, at least on mine.

I was very close to getting the 1S2 and am glad I talked myself out of it and went with the rs2 because the 4-6k saved is worth more than whatever improvement the 11s2 may have in some scenes. What I mean is that the rs2 satisfies me enough in the various PQ areas that MY expectation for what an extra 4-6k more over the rs2 should provide performance wise is simply not do-able yet in a digital pj.

ROB
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page