Official Epson Pro Cinema 1080UB Thread - Page 54 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1591 of 1643 Old 10-24-2010, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jephdood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Worth the risk to pick up one of these used? With essentially no warranty, and all the stories of dust blobs, I'm not sure I want to 'upgrade' from my perfectly working Panny AE900U PJ. I'm skurred.
jephdood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1592 of 1643 Old 10-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Member
 
bnieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post

Worth the risk to pick up one of these used? With essentially no warranty, and all the stories of dust blobs, I'm not sure I want to 'upgrade' from my perfectly working Panny AE900U PJ. I'm skurred.

It's worth it if you can see the unit in person OR the seller can guarantee no noticeable dust. Have the seller unfocus the projector on the "Blank" black screen and see if any dust comes into focus.

Even if there is dust and it's out of warranty, any local Epson service center can clean the unit for around $150. I had mine cleaned under warranty and it's been perfect ever since (over a year and a half later).

It's an outstanding projector if you can get a good one. Getting a good one relies on you seeing it and testing it in person, OR having a knowledgeable seller willing to work with you.

I have never seen the Panny AE900U PJ you own now so I can't comment on whether it's a worth while upgrade.

Cheers
bnieman is offline  
post #1593 of 1643 Old 11-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Newbie
 
Iced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

I've also noted the brightness starting to fluctuate in the last couple days, also with iris off in HD mode. I'm hooked up hdmi directly to my ps3. It seems odd there are 3 of us here who suddenly have had this problem spring up. I may have not noticed it before now however because before I was just using my S3 tivo with iris on and may have mistook problem to be iris related. I'm at 1,500 lamp hrs. Almost all my viewing has been in low lamp mode in HD mode because fan get's too loud in high lamp mode and lamp start's to smell bad if I take off high altitude mode. I wonder how prevasive this flicker problem is. Is it only PS3 that's causing flicker? My projector is also producing a green blob on the right corner of my screen since last month. I put a picture up of it in this thread so It's not going to take much more wrong with this epson to make me want a replacement. So far I've had problems with every projector I've owned. 1 panny aux1000 & 3 panny aux2000's. These types of projectors seem very problematic. It's a good thing I got the epson pro model because I suspect the 3 year warranty will be be used more than once in it's lifetime.

I realize this is an old post but I also have noticed this problem so add me to the count. Really annoying when I'm trying to calibrate the projector. Sounds like I may have to go through the warranty process.
Iced is offline  
post #1594 of 1643 Old 11-16-2010, 06:26 AM
Newbie
 
mgoblue42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I replaced the lamp in my Epson 1080ub powerlite home cinema projector yesterday (after my first bulb popped while in use) and I now have a split horizontal image with the top half of the screen being lighter than the bottom half.

After looking on another forum - I see that others have had similar issues, but, unfortunately, I haven't seen any solutions.

Have any of you had this issue before? Should I invest on an out of warranty repair or am I'm better off buying another projector?
mgoblue42 is offline  
post #1595 of 1643 Old 11-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Member
 
bnieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue42 View Post

I replaced the lamp in my Epson 1080ub powerlite home cinema projector yesterday (after my first bulb popped while in use) and I now have a split horizontal image with the top half of the screen being lighter than the bottom half.

After looking on another forum - I see that others have had similar issues, but, unfortunately, I haven't seen any solutions.

Have any of you had this issue before? Should I invest on an out of warranty repair or am I'm better off buying another projector?

I would call Epson and get their feedback, sounds like maybe the new bulb is faulty? Regardless, there should be no reason you should need to buy a new projector.
bnieman is offline  
post #1596 of 1643 Old 11-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Newbie
 
mgoblue42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnieman View Post

I would call Epson and get their feedback, sounds like maybe the new bulb is faulty? Regardless, there should be no reason you should need to buy a new projector.

Unfortunately - I called epson and since I'm out of warranty (by 4 months) they said there's nothing they can do.
mgoblue42 is offline  
post #1597 of 1643 Old 11-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Member
 
bnieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue42 View Post

Unfortunately - I called epson and since I'm out of warranty (by 4 months) they said there's nothing they can do.

They didn't even tell you if what you are experiencing is because of a bad bulb? I would think they would at least help you troubleshoot. What direction did they give you?
bnieman is offline  
post #1598 of 1643 Old 11-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Newbie
 
mgoblue42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnieman View Post

They didn't even tell you if what you are experiencing is because of a bad bulb? I would think they would at least help you troubleshoot. What direction did they give you?

They gave me the number to 3 certified dealers. I talked to two of them, and both seem to think it's the optical lense going bad. ($1400 to repair)

The individual at Epson didn't even want to help troubleshoot - just gave me the standard "powercycle, remove/reinstall the lamp" basic tech support... then went into "you're out of warranty - we can't help you" (only slightly nicer)
mgoblue42 is offline  
post #1599 of 1643 Old 11-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Member
 
bnieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue42 View Post
They gave me the number to 3 certified dealers. I talked to two of them, and both seem to think it's the optical lense going bad. ($1400 to repair)

The individual at Epson didn't even want to help troubleshoot - just gave me the standard "powercycle, remove/reinstall the lamp" basic tech support... then went into "you're out of warranty - we can't help you" (only slightly nicer)
Ouch! $1,400 is outrageous. A 8500UB new is around $2,200. I honestly don't know what I would do in your situation... maybe call Epson and strong-arm them into taking your projector back and giving you credit on a new one or sell yours for parts on eBay. The new bulb is certainly worth a bit.

Very sorry to hear
bnieman is offline  
post #1600 of 1643 Old 01-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Senior Member
 
herb s.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SE New hampshire
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FWIW just replaced my original bulb with 3422hrs. on it. It was still working, but the picture was getting a little dark. That's good bulb life especially compared with my old Sanyo plv-70, 1200hrs. was good.
herb s. is offline  
post #1601 of 1643 Old 01-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Newbie
 
tallsweet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 3290 hours on mine in a dedicated home theater. Keep getting message Replace Lamp when I turn it on. But it is still bright and the setting is still at 50%.
tallsweet is offline  
post #1602 of 1643 Old 02-25-2011, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ditch-digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In the middle of the woods New Hampshire
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
more available if anyone interested....



http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=63079019
ditch-digger is offline  
post #1603 of 1643 Old 04-19-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stereomandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Has anyone tried replacing their current 1080UB bulb assembly with a bare lamp and placing it in their old lamp housing? If so, how was your experience?

These lamps can be readily found on a popular auction site and other sites for less than half the price of an original lamp and housing assembly. They are made in China, but I’m sure there is a good chance that the OEM lamp is also.

Thanks,
Dan
stereomandan is offline  
post #1604 of 1643 Old 08-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Member
 
heavy-b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a message on my epson pro 1080 UB saying that the filter needed replacing. With the 1080 UB came a spare bulb and in the box with the bulb is a spare filter - but it doesn't fit!

It is too thick, but otherwise the same size. Does anyone know what this filter that comes with the spare bulb is for?

Aslo, I can't find a new filter on the epson website for the 1080 UB, but there is a filter for the home 1080 - which I assume would be the same filter.

For now I have cleaned the old filter, but I think I will replace it to be safe.
heavy-b is offline  
post #1605 of 1643 Old 08-11-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Lord_Zath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,233
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I clean my filter regularly - about every two months or so. I have it set to high altitude mode so the fan is sucking air in faster than normal. You could always tape on that filter - apply tape to the sides and not have the cover on. It should fit that way. It's free so why not
Lord_Zath is online now  
post #1606 of 1643 Old 08-11-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Toknowshita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy-b View Post

I got a message on my epson pro 1080 UB saying that the filter needed replacing. With the 1080 UB came a spare bulb and in the box with the bulb is a spare filter - but it doesn't fit!

It is too thick, but otherwise the same size. Does anyone know what this filter that comes with the spare bulb is for?

Aslo, I can't find a new filter on the epson website for the 1080 UB, but there is a filter for the home 1080 - which I assume would be the same filter.

For now I have cleaned the old filter, but I think I will replace it to be safe.

I remember that they issued a service bulletin long ago that the part number changed. I think you can order a new one through Epson's website.

Here's the link:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/P...9970&category=

It states it is compatible with the 1080UB models.

Toknowshita is offline  
post #1607 of 1643 Old 08-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Member
 
heavy-b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

I remember that they issued a service bulletin long ago that the part number changed. I think you can order a new one through Epson's website.

Here's the link:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/P...9970&category=

It states it is compatible with the 1080UB models.

Thank you both for the comments. Thank you for the link. Now I have to convince them to ship to Canada.

Also, are you not worried that cleaning the air filter could damage it and it would then let in dust? I guess the better question is how do you clean the filter without damaging it?

With regards to the strange free filter that was in the box with the spare bulb - It looks a like it is also slightly 'denser' - if that is a way to describe it. It looks like it would be harder for air to get through it and that it would filter a finer particle. I am a little concerned about taping the filter to the unit as it may require too much of the fan to suck air through it.

By the way I went to the theatre for the first time in a few years to watch bad teacher and the picture quality was worse than the PQ from the 1080 UB. What a great unit!
heavy-b is offline  
post #1608 of 1643 Old 08-12-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Toknowshita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy-b View Post

Thank you both for the comments. Thank you for the link. Now I have to convince them to ship to Canada.

Also, are you not worried that cleaning the air filter could damage it and it would then let in dust? I guess the better question is how do you clean the filter without damaging it?

I haven't cleaned my air filter in the 3 years of ownership. I haven't had any major issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy-b View Post

With regards to the strange free filter that was in the box with the spare bulb - It looks a like it is also slightly 'denser' - if that is a way to describe it. It looks like it would be harder for air to get through it and that it would filter a finer particle. I am a little concerned about taping the filter to the unit as it may require too much of the fan to suck air through it.

If it doesn't fit properly I would not attempt modifications to get it to fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy-b View Post

By the way I went to the theatre for the first time in a few years to watch bad teacher and the picture quality was worse than the PQ from the 1080 UB. What a great unit!

Totally agree. I feel the 1080UB does a great job when compared with the quality of many of the local multiplexes. For all the emphasis on black level and contrast ratio when you compare what a decent 1080p projector can against an average film based projector you might find yourself rarely going to the movies again.

Toknowshita is offline  
post #1609 of 1643 Old 10-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Newbie
 
beekr25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue42 View Post

They gave me the number to 3 certified dealers. I talked to two of them, and both seem to think it's the optical lense going bad. ($1400 to repair)

The individual at Epson didn't even want to help troubleshoot - just gave me the standard "powercycle, remove/reinstall the lamp" basic tech support... then went into "you're out of warranty - we can't help you" (only slightly nicer)

I am in the exact same situation. I sent my projector half way across Canada to see what the issue is and the repair will cost $1400.

What did you end up doing? I'm feeling the need to strong arm Epson as this seems to be a manufacture's issue not the user. It's also hard to justify spending $1400 on a refurbished projector when I can get either a Epson Home Cinema 8700UB for $2000 with an extra bulb or Panasonic PT-AE4000 Projector with 2 year warranty for $2000.

What would you do?

Ben
beekr25 is offline  
post #1610 of 1643 Old 10-18-2011, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Lord_Zath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,233
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
The new projectors are so much cheaper and slightly superior to ours so I say go for the new one. There's no guarantee that the unit will come back 100% repaired...
Lord_Zath is online now  
post #1611 of 1643 Old 10-19-2011, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wilson-Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: NC
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have one of these that works perfectly and was bought from AVS the day it was released. I just have the hots for a new projector with 3D capabilities because of my 6 YO daughter and the kind of things she wants to watch.

I'm torn between trying to sell it (or give it away may be more proper) and just mounting it in the bedroom as a second projector.

Does anybody know what this thing might be worth? It has less than 300 hours on it and comes with a spare bulb and mount (both still new and came with the projector). In the interest of full disclosure, it has one blown pixel that's been blown for a couple of years now but I felt it better to keep what I had (calibrated and hand-picked by Jason) than to risk gettting a refurb from Epson under warranty that I wouldn't know what I was getting. Honestly, it's hard to even find it if you don't know it's there. My wife still hasn't seen it to this day.

This ain't a sales pitch. I'd just honestly like to know what I'm up against so I can make an intelligent decision about my new purchase from a finance standpoint.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

HDTV in my home since 1999.
Wilson-Flyer is offline  
post #1612 of 1643 Old 10-19-2011, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Lord_Zath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,233
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
A good 1080UB? Probably 1,000. Maybe less.
Lord_Zath is online now  
post #1613 of 1643 Old 10-19-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wilson-Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: NC
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

A good 1080UB? Probably 1,000. Maybe less.

Ouch. Yea. That's what I was afraid of. I'd rather throw it in the bedroom or in a travel bag than take <$1000 for it.

Thanks again. Like I said, that's what I thought but it never hurts to ask around.

HDTV in my home since 1999.
Wilson-Flyer is offline  
post #1614 of 1643 Old 10-24-2011, 12:01 AM
Member
 
heavy-b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

A good 1080UB? Probably 1,000. Maybe less.

This is a total guess, but a good 1080 pro UB with a spare bulb and ceiling mount AND calibrated by Jason should get a few hundred over $1000.

The bulb sells for about 350 and a good calibration can cost similar. I am guessing that someone who has a 1080 that they like, but it got destroyed for some reason (like the ones in the above posts where the repairs are $1400) would be willing to pay 1400 for yours that they know work well, with a bulb with only 300 hours, a pro calibration, and a spare bulb over risking a repair.

Just a guess.
heavy-b is offline  
post #1615 of 1643 Old 10-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Member
 
heavy-b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

I clean my filter regularly - about every two months or so. I have it set to high altitude mode so the fan is sucking air in faster than normal. You could always tape on that filter - apply tape to the sides and not have the cover on. It should fit that way. It's free so why not

So i wrote earlier how my projector gave me the message that the filter needed replacing. I just cleaned it and the message went away, but i was worried that i might have damaged it while I was cleaning it so I decided to get a new filter.

Epson USA would not ship to Canada! My dealer who sold it to me could not get one shipped either. Epson Canada does not sell them. E-bay had them from one company, but they don't ship to Canada either! Finally found one on amazon.com for a mere $12.95!

PLUS $47.95 shipping and $14.95 Duty. Ouch.

I really like the projector but what a rip off. I guess I need to move to the US!
heavy-b is offline  
post #1616 of 1643 Old 10-27-2011, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Lord_Zath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,233
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
wow that is pretty crazy. can you let me know what filter works from Amazon? I've been thinking about getting a new one myself...
Lord_Zath is online now  
post #1617 of 1643 Old 10-27-2011, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
KBMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 2,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I sold my 1080ub pro (actually tw2000) to a friend some months back for only $550. It had zero problems with about 1200 hours on it. I knew I took a hit, but i now have a JVC RS20 which really kicks some ass. My epson was a great and problem-free projector for 3 years...

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

KBMAN is offline  
post #1618 of 1643 Old 10-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Member
 
heavy-b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

wow that is pretty crazy. can you let me know what filter works from Amazon? I've been thinking about getting a new one myself...

It is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Epson-V13H134A...sr=1-1-catcorr

Or from Epson: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/P...9970&category=


The picture it shows is different than the actual filter.
I would have done better to get one of you guys to buy a couple of these filters and ship them to your US address and then send it to me and pay you $25.00 for the service!!

I think that it is a wise investment for a mere 12.95 to prevent dust etc from getting into the unit.
heavy-b is offline  
post #1619 of 1643 Old 10-28-2011, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Lord_Zath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,233
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Definitely. Thanks!
Lord_Zath is online now  
post #1620 of 1643 Old 10-29-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Lord_Zath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,233
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Ordered. was actually cheaper through epson store than amazon - and found a code for 10% off, too!
Lord_Zath is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080 Home Theater Projector , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off