Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 1643 Old 10-30-2011, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

Ordered. was actually cheaper through epson store than amazon - and found a code for 10% off, too!

So you could likely get 8 for the price of my one!

Another question - I have the opportunity to get a larger screen at a steeply discounted price. A 120" Optoma panaview Greywolf II 1.8 gain motorized. My current screen is about 100" and 1.0 gain.

Does anyone have experience with this projector and 1.8 gain? I find that the black levels are already good with my 1.0 gain screen. My concern would be that it would not be bright enough, but I bet the contrast would be awesome. Or do I have that backwards and the higher gain will give a brighter image which will offset the loss of brightness due to the larger screen size? I have never seen a 1.8 gain screen in action so I have no idea.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1643 Old 12-02-2011, 09:35 PM

WOW, heard a very loud pop about 1 minute after turning on the projector; and then of course no picture and a red flashing light on the projector. Bulb blew. It was 3.5 years old and the picture was getting noticeable darker, but only had 1843 hours on it in the low lamp setting. Had a spare lamp and put it in.

What a difference!! It is so bright again!
post #1623 of 1643 Old 12-02-2011, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy-b View Post

WOW, heard a very loud pop about 1 minute after turning on the projector; and then of course no picture and a red flashing light on the projector. Bulb blew. It was 3.5 years old and the picture was getting noticeable darker, but only had 1843 hours on it in the low lamp setting. Had a spare lamp and put it in.

What a difference!! It is so bright again!

I can't go more than about 1200 hours on my 1080UB before it gets too dim. I keep the old bulb as a stand by. I'm looking at upgrading to the Epson 61000 and the bulbs in that are rated at 4000 to 5000 hours. I'm guessing I can get at least 2000 to 3000 before I'm tempted to replace. Huge difference, though, compared to the 1080UB.
post #1624 of 1643 Old 12-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm at 3000 hrs on first bulb and still looks great. I still have the extra bulb my pro came with too.
post #1625 of 1643 Old 12-06-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

I'm at 3000 hrs on first bulb and still looks great. I still have the extra bulb my pro came with too.

What kind of screen are you using?
post #1626 of 1643 Old 12-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

white carada no gain I think. Its a short throw distance to my wall. 15 ft. I use natural mode at night as its the brightest mode that still looks good. During daytime I use cinema day to compete with ambient slight. sometimes i will use cinema day setting with contrast turned way down on a movie at night if the film looks very dark to brighten the picture but the result is not very nice. I wonder if people here can share there values if they use cinema day for night time viewing. I rarely use high bright mode which is maybe why I'm still happy with my bulb
post #1627 of 1643 Old 06-01-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Ah ha ha, I bought a Pro Cinema 1080 UB used for $600. Ok with an all black screen up I could see six of more Spalding sized dust blobs. I worked for Optoma and had to open a couple of hundred projectors to input a video upgrade to the video board which made the panning on certain movement up to the level and the DC3 H79. Anyway it was easy opening up the 1080ub.

You remove all the bottom screws and the small black screws on the back input panel. The top prys up real easy from the back to the front. You then remove the ribbon connector to the video board and take the whole top off. Man I had cobwebs in there and a bunch of dust. I used a vacuum we have that has a power slider so I didn't hv to use full power. If you don't have one just stay a half inch off of everything. I also used a lint free cloth to clean all the dust on under the top cover and used the vacuum on it afterwords.

Oh did I fail to say after I was done I put up a full black video pattern and there wasn't one dust blob / zero gone.

I moved the ribbons loops away first and used the vacuum cleaner on each panel.
I made this air puffer from a solder sucker, had to drill the tip a bit wider to fit a piece of a clean air blower nozzle tube. About 1 and 1/2 inches length outside the blower nozzle nozzle

I used this last and shot about 4 puffs down into each side of each panel. You'll see the ribbons for each panel and an opening. Just move back the loop from each panel and slide the nozzle in the 1 & 1/2 inches and puff away them specs of dust. An hour and a half told buy Epson my butt. It takes like 10mins.

So if the blobs on your 1080ub are getting you down give this a try.

Another tip, don't ever vacuum the ehaust vent. This just sucks dust all around inside the projector. I did this when I had just 3 dust blobs and ended up with six.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #1628 of 1643 Old 06-03-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Ah ha ha, I bought a Pro Cinema 1080 UB used for $600.

Sounds like you're a patient person. So how does the image look compared to more current projectors?
post #1629 of 1643 Old 06-03-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's an excellent projector. I viewed The Game and MI 3 two good movies for evaluating blacks more so with The Game. Very deep black level with no haze in deep dark content. Just as good as the RS1 and RS2 but much better color tones easier on they eye's. What's really surprising is the native contrast being so high 4000.1 you can really see it in midtone video or daylight stuff.

Old thread but I thought it could use this dust blob help. I was lucky but there's even a better way. Leave the top off setup the projector and run a full black screen image while you puff away the dust with that device I made. Start at the top of the panel working your way down. You'll find the panel with the dust.

I confirmed this way works best. Just work on it top off projector on it's simple. I was able to remove every spec of dust. If down the road just do it again if need be. This problem was a main drawback for these LCD's but not anymore. This one the fix is very easy.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #1630 of 1643 Old 06-04-2013, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Should I buy Replacement Lamp ELPLP39 for $52 at mwave.com:
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch.asp?px=PG&scriteria=BN00280&BrandName=Epson&ModelName=ELPLP39&PartNumber=ELPLP39#.Ua3PK0DKEaM

or
epson bulb for $191 at: http://www.projectorlampsource.com/epson_home_cinema_1080ub_lamp.html
post #1631 of 1643 Old 06-04-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
As I posted in the other thread:

I'm running on one of the mwave replacements, and so far so good. I'd estimate about 1000 hours into it and no issues whatsoever.
post #1632 of 1643 Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 AM

well mine worked on saturday and not sunday. red light the turbo and no picture. swapped the bulb for a spare i had, and there was no change.

whats the likely hood mine spare is bad ? is my 1080ub dead?
post #1633 of 1643 Old 08-21-2013, 10:44 PM

right,I had to remove the extension arm since the unit was being installed in a low ceiling room, 7.5'. kkcY
post #1634 of 1643 Old 01-12-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlp336 View Post

well mine worked on saturday and not sunday. red light the turbo and no picture. swapped the bulb for a spare i had, and there was no change.

whats the likely hood mine spare is bad ? is my 1080ub dead?

I just had the same thing happen to mine. Did you ever get yours to work or did it die? I just had the blinking red light with a fan kicking into high gear, then it shuts off. I try to reset the power and same thing. I am thinking of ordering another bulb to see if that is it, but I don't want to waste the money if I need to get a new projector.
post #1635 of 1643 Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYURDRMS View Post

I just had the same thing happen to mine. Did you ever get yours to work or did it die? I just had the blinking red light with a fan kicking into high gear, then it shuts off. I try to reset the power and same thing. I am thinking of ordering another bulb to see if that is it, but I don't want to waste the money if I need to get a new projector.

i had two bulbs. swapping did nothing.
post #1636 of 1643 Old 01-13-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I only had it happen to me once. I doubt switching bulbs fixes it. Try unplugging it from the wall (when it's off). Make sure the rocker switch is on. Then flip the rocker switch off. Plug it into the wall. Turn on rocker switch. Turn on power.

If you get blinking lights, you can try checking the manual to see what it's indicating:

http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/plhc1080/plhc1080-ug.pdf
post #1637 of 1643 Old 01-13-2014, 08:36 PM

Thanks guys, I have tried the unplugging and plugging back in several times with the same result. It is blinking once a second which according to the manual says there is something wrong with the internal components and not the bulb, which was confirmed by the tech support person at Epson today. She recommended I take it into the shop, but I have to assume whatever part is damaged is going to cost more than this projector is worth now. I guess it is time for a new one.

Thanks for the responses.

Chad
post #1638 of 1643 Old 01-14-2014, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I had that happen a couple days ago when i tried to put a new avr in my system. Almost like it was getting a bad signal. Just for giggles, Pull out all connections and restart the pj. I reinstalled my old avr and it fixed it. Weird to say the least. It's ok , I should be getting my new 55es soon.

My sono build

Psn Id- lvisneau or lvizzzy
Xbl- chief vizzy

post #1639 of 1643 Old 03-25-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's a odd fix but if it helps others great. You can never get enough tuning info so here goes. I got out my colorfacts equipment and went to work on the 1080ub pro.

Cinema night
Brightness -2
Contrast +3
Color saturation +7
Tint +1

Color temp 6500
Skin tone 3

Brightness high
Auto iris on. when I tuned it this was off you have to grayscale tune correctly. It doesn't matter turning it on afterwards..

Advanced
2.2 gamma

RGB
Offset Red +13
Offset G 0
Offest B +14

Gain Red 0
Gain G 0
Gain B -13

That's it, give them a try, this line up looks awesome, colorful and natural every bit like any projector I've used colorfacts on.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #1640 of 1643 Old 06-23-2014, 07:02 AM

Hi everyone,

Sorry to revive an older thread, but I just ordered a 1080UB for my Father, and I wanted to just hear some advice on the following (if possible):

1. He is a huge sports/hockey fan, and wanted to know if there was any noticeable lag/motion blur...On my personal 70" Sharp LED TV I do notice a ghosting when it pans the ice...

2. Is the fan that noticeable if sitting behind and below the projector?

Thanks in advance!
post #1641 of 1643 Old 06-23-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

1. You'll probably notice motion blur yes. It's not crazy - either that or I've just gotten used to it.

2. Fan noise is OK. I have mine on high altitude mode, which causes the fan to spin faster for better airflow and cooling. That said, I only notice the fan noise when I have my speakers muted.
post #1642 of 1643 Old 06-24-2014, 12:25 PM

Thanks very much Lord_Zath - Actually have one more question:

This is the first time I'm setting up a projector, does this model have any ability to adjust the screen size easily?

For example, can I have it set for the full 120" for movies, and then easy change it to say 80" to watch TV?
post #1643 of 1643 Old 06-24-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes there's a simple zoom slider by the lens. Though you will probably not want to go smaller once you see the glory that is projection. I'm on a 2-story white wall and love it. No screen needed (it may help somewhat but... meh). Roughly 183" diagonal.

Going smaller screen will yield better colors, but size wins out IMO .
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080 Home Theater Projector , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page