Old 01-16-2008, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd View Post

This thread is about the Epson Pro Cinema 1080 UB, which has an MSRP of $3999. It's the Home Cinema unit that has an MSRP of $2999. For the extra money, the Pro Cinema includes a ceiling mount, a spare bulb, ISF calibration controls, an extra year of warranty, and a black case.

Does anybody know if the black case on the Pro version also translates to better blacks on screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

Does anybody know if the black case on the Pro version also translates to better blacks on screen?

A previous post stated that Epson has said the guts are the same, the pro just has different software settings.

I wonder if you could firmware flash the home to a pro..... if would even matter.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:23 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

I don't think the Epson would have lighter/brighter corners, since iirc that is an issue more often aflicting the LCOS Sony and JVC pj's.

With all this talk of sharpness, and I am one who loved the sharpness, I wonder, how does the Epson 1080UB/TW2000 compare to the Sony VW60 for sharpness? They are probably fairly close competitors for contrast and black levels, but which is sharper?
Old 01-16-2008, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

The Epson does have incredibly good black levels, amongst the best I have seen for LCD, just not quite to the level of the RS1.

hey Jason, good to have you chime in here. Care to comment on how the Epson compares to the Mitsubishi HC6000 in this regard (as well as sharpness)?
Old 01-16-2008, 09:42 PM

Liked: 11
For the sake of checking for any defects I setup the Epson tonight - and although the red and green panels are no more than one pixel out of alignment my overall impression of the Pro Cinema 1080 is very positive. Having been spoiled by the Hitachi TX200's ability to produce an image that is no doubt sharper the Epson has much better detail and what I would describe as a more film like look to it that is just much more involving - more depth, solid colors and, as I said detail, not to mention the black level and I do not see any hint of the unused area outside the 2:35 screen when I zoom out - which is great. The viewing wall is black though the Hitachi was evident especially in dark scenes. At the moment the projector is about 14 ft. from the 128" Carada ( Brilliant White 1.4 gain ). I'm using Cinema Dark in low lamp, Iris on,Temperature at 7000 and everything else at pretty well at 0. More room for tweaking of course but even though the somewhat "softer" image seems a bit of a let down at first, as I have watched a few Blue Ray titles it has become very evident to me that I made a great choice with the Epson Pro.A big improvement to say the least. The Hitachi just seems "flat" in comparison. Great not to see any SDE either at anything more than 6 feet or so, which always bothered me with the Hitachi. Also, at the moment with a new bulb the image is more than bright enough for me, the fan is unobtrusive on low and I am right next to the projector as it is on a chair - temporarily. I cannot hear the iris either unless it is quiet and even then I have to listen to notice it. It may not be sharp enough for some but the pluses make it a minor concern for me which I quickly forget once a movie is on. Comparing the Epson to an older 720 projector won't help those of you comparing 1080 units but my observation in regard to the sharpness issue might. The Hitachi is exceptional in that regard.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rony Dunham View Post

And the Epson's sharpness seems really bad

Maybe my Canadian french is off, but that's not what I get out of those comments.

It says the AE2000 is sharper, but it is also giving the Epson advantages in brightness, overall accurate colour, and goes on to say that most users preferred the Epson in a blind test (which I'm assuming means they don't know which PJ).

It also comments that the Epson handles standard def much better than the Panny.

In addition, they rated the Epson overall higher than the Panny.

This comparison is moot for me, as a Canadian, the Panny is roughly $900 more (street price) than the Epson.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:59 PM

Ishmael,

The person who said that the Epson sharpness was very bad, is not one from the website "lesnumeriques.com",
It's someone "named worf" from the famous french forum "homecinema-fr.com.

You cand find his briefly review on this specified topic : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...2969#171402969
Old 01-17-2008, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the link!

Is that just a random end user, or is this a well known professional?

I'm going to trust that if the sharpness were really as bad as he or she seems to suggest that Art or Projector Central would have seen fit to stick some mention of it in their preview posts?

I guess we'll see when they both post their reviews tomorrow, apparently, and even more so when my own unit arrives!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael198 View Post

Thanks for the link!

Is that just a random end user, or is this a well known professional?

I'm going to trust that if the sharpness were really as bad as he or she seems to suggest that Art or Projector Central would have seen fit to stick some mention of it in their preview posts?

I guess we'll see when they both post their reviews tomorrow, apparently, and even more so when my own unit arrives!

IIRC this was noted earlier, but, if these people received 'review versions' of the projectors, then they are probably hand picked by professionals at the manufactures to give the best possible impression of their product and are not likely to represent end-user experience. I think it's better to put your faith in the overall consensus on this forum rather than place any one or two reviewer's opinions in the realm of unquestionable truth.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2 View Post

hey Jason, good to have you chime in here. Care to comment on how the Epson compares to the Mitsubishi HC6000 in this regard (as well as sharpness)?

Both are good...but I would say the Mitsu is a bit sharper, whilst the contrast and black levels on the Epson are better. One thing that is nice about both is the ability to tweak them. Here is a before and after of the calibration I did last night:

Of course as always disregard my 10IRE measurement (it is always off).
Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaneverett View Post

I think it's better to put your faith in the overall consensus on this forum rather than place any one or two reviewer's opinions in the realm of unquestionable truth.

Good advice and I agree, but to that end, unless I've missed it the french forum comments are the first of seen about a lack of sharpness.....

And I don't place anything I read into the realm of unquestionable truth
Old 01-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Both are good...but I would say the Mitsu is a bit sharper, whilst the contrast and black levels on the Epson are better. One thing that is nice about both is the ability to tweak them. Here is a before and after of the calibration I did last night:
Of course as always disregard my 10IRE measurement (it is always off).

OK Just got off the phone with Jason and I am going for it.
He is calibrating my 1080UB Pro. He said he would take extra special care of me and my unit would have 0 pixel convergence issues, right Jason?
Old 01-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY View Post

He is calibrating my 1080UB Pro. He said he would take extra special care of me and my unit would have 0 pixel convergence issues, right Jason?

May you have better luck than you did with the Pannys! You are my official fellow-Bostonian PJ guinea pig.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

May you have better luck than you did with the Pannys! You are my official fellow-Bostonian PJ guinea pig.

Ha thanks man!! I was out like 1.2/2 pixels on both AE2000U's I had. And I liked the image. So having this PRE-Inspected as well as calibrated has me really excited
Old 01-17-2008, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I wish. There are basically no perfectly converged 3chip designed projectors. But I will definitely make sure it isn't anything that would affect picture for you.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:

I wish. There are basically no perfectly converged 3chip designed projectors. But I will definitely make sure it isn't anything that would affect picture for you.

Oh I know...
I am glad I made the call to have you do it and QC it. I can sleep better now and HOPEFULLY no returns for a change
Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ha thanks man!! I was out like 1.2/2 pixels on both AE2000U's I had. And I liked the image. So having this PRE-Inspected as well as calibrated has me really excited

Looking forward to your comments comparing the Epson to the Panasonic.

Presumably Jason doesn't mind us asking how much he's charging to inspect and calibrate the unit before sending. Nice thing about the Panasonic is that it is pretty spot on right out of the box in Color 1 setting. Not sure about the Epson, however, in this regard.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Jason:

If you'll remember, per your recommendation, you sold me a Mitsubishi HC3000U back in August 2006. I really love this projector and I've been extremely happy using it. My question is: is the Epson 1080UB's black level as good or better than my Mits?

Rich
Old 01-17-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontRich View Post

Hi Jason:

If you'll remember, per your recommendation, you sold me a Mitsubishi HC3000U back in August 2006. I really love this projector and I've been extremely happy using it. My question is: is the Epson 1080UB's black level as good or better than my Mits?

Rich

Black levels are WAY better on the Epson, as is the on/off contrast. But that is what you would expect from a 2 year newer projector.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I talked to a bigwig at Epson Pro a short bit ago. Basically the convergence issue is taken on a case by case basis, but I now have some pull and a special dealer contact person, so we should be able to make sure they are passable for everyone (although I stress again that perfection is not likely so please do not expect it).

I don't know how it works with the Home division though...
Old 01-17-2008, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Black levels are WAY better on the Epson, as is the on/off contrast. But that is what you would expect from a 2 year newer projector.

Thanks, Jason. Do you sell the Home Cinema 1080UB model?

Rich
Old 01-17-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No we only sell the Pro model. Sorry about that.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No we only sell the Pro model. Sorry about that.

No problem.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, I thought you liked the convergence on your last AE2000U replacement.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
Old 01-17-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Jason .. I didnt get a chance to go to the Wynn to see the Epson UB model and in Canada it has just been released. What are your impressions on the comparisons to the RS1 in Contrast. Also what actual contrast ratio did you get when calibrating the UB??
Old 01-17-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I prefer not to post contrast measurements (although I do take them). It is amongst the highest I have seen for the LCD technology, but not quite what a good RS1 is capable of.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is amongst the highest I have seen for the LCD technology, but not quite what a good RS1 is capable of.

Well, on paper, at least, it is supposed to be the highest contrast of the current crop of LCD projectors. The relevant question is whether or not it is in fact noticeably higher than the Mitsubishi HC6000 and the Panasonic AE2000 (its main competitors, unless jumping up to the Sony and JVC price ranges).
Old 01-17-2008, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It is higher than the HC6000 (but still pretty close). The AE2000 I have not measured so I cannot comment there.

The 50000:1 rating is, as one would expect, highly exaggerated for real world results.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Any news of the mail in rebate being extended? The unit is on backorder here. If I place an order today, It would be unlikely that I would receive it before before the end of the month.

XBOX Live / PSN: Choocheroo
Old 01-17-2008, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is higher than the HC6000 (but still pretty close). The AE2000 I have not measured so I cannot comment there.

The 50000:1 rating is, as one would expect, highly exaggerated for real world results.

Thanks, Jason. If I get the Epson Pro (or the Mits. HC6000) will definitely be ordering through you. If only Mitsubishi would go ahead and put the D7 chip in their machine (HC6500?) we'd have a clear winner in my view...

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080 Home Theater Projector , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector