AVS Forum banner

CES : LG SXRD 1080p Projector

15K views 44 replies 29 participants last post by  Lee Weber 
#1 ·
#2 ·
This thread deserves some attention.

The first non Sony sxrd product says there is still life in sxrd.

Why keep any lcd projectors when there is sxrd?

#4 ·
SXRD has enough differences from LCOS that it makes sense to call the technology what it is unless they did some kind of variant. You don't see companies giving their own spin on DLP or LCD.

#8 ·
It would have to be a Sony unit that they are manipulating since it is spelled out as SXRD and that is a Sony product. SXRD is not LCOS.

But it is not simply a rebadge since no Sony projector uses an HQV video processing chip.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by circumstances /forum/post/12738937

and why didn't LG just call it LCoS or nickname their version. i mean JVC calls their version DiLA. why use sony's nickname "sxrd"? interesting.

Most of it is for market differentiation. As Sony states:

"Unlike conventional LCoS panels, SXRD technology incorporates Sony's unique Vertically Aligned Nematic liquid crystal material for high contrast."

and

"when measured with a conoscope exceeds 4000:1. You get outstanding black level reproduction and images that come alive, with minimum motion smear.

Of course the panel black level claim is a bit of a stretch today.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan.../whatsxrd.html

#12 ·
Here Sony themselves states SXRD is for marketing purposes:

SXRD: The Latest Microdisplay Technology

Another choice of display technology is LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon), which Sony markets under the name SXRD®. Instead of individual mirrors...

http://my101.learningcenter.sony.us/...PageId=1000005

So am am forced to conclude that Sony does not know what they are talking 'bout.

I hope these facts clear up the situation!

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering /forum/post/12740591

It would have to be a Sony unit that they are manipulating since it is spelled out as SXRD and that is a Sony product. SXRD is not LCOS.

But it is not simply a rebadge since no Sony projector uses an HQV video processing chip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate /forum/post/12742082

Most of it is for market differentiation. As Sony states:

"Unlike conventional LCoS panels, SXRD technology incorporates Sony's unique Vertically Aligned Nematic liquid crystal material for high contrast."

and

"when measured with a conoscope exceeds 4000:1. You get outstanding black level reproduction and images that come alive, with minimum motion smear.

Of course the panel black level claim is a bit of a stretch today.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan.../whatsxrd.html

Sigh. You misunderstood his point. SXRD is a Sony product. If a product says SXRD it is using a sony panel.

You also missed the line on Sony's page where it says "As a result, contrast ratio of the microdisplay panel alone, when measured with a conoscope* exceeds 4000:1. This is a reasonable figure as contrast directly off the panel will be high. For example, JVC's new HD100 has a contrast of 40,000:1 off the panel and 30:000:1 after the lens.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus /forum/post/12742534

Sigh. You misunderstood his point. SXRD is a Sony product. If a product says SXRD it is using a sony panel.

You also missed the line on Sony's page where it says "As a result, contrast ratio of the microdisplay panel alone, when measured with a conoscope* exceeds 4000:1.

According to this razor sharp and faultless logic, it seems both Sony and I must be just plain stupid.

Your wit has made my day. Thanks!

#15 ·
#16 ·
Well the actual micro-display technology is clearly licensed from Sony, otherwise they would never call it SXRD. More interesting will be pricing. LG is a up and coming player in this market but when it comes to displays they don't have Sony's brand recognition or ability to command a premium. Given the pricing of Sony's current PJs, (except for the VW200) I would say these might liven up the FP market if they provide competing technologies at lower prices or any kind of innovation in other aspects of implementation over the Sony competition.

Another player in the HT FP maket is always welcome in my book - hope they make life more interesting for us all.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering /forum/post/12740591

SXRD is not LCOS.

? Um huh? Yes it is. SXRD is liquid crystal on silicon LCoS.

Unless you are trying to make a symantics statement in that Threefive systems has the trademark LCOS.

#19 ·
Seems to me to be a big leap to say it's a VW60. Just the fact that it has a HQV means that it must be significantly different. (might not have 0.1pix convergence, etc). The lens would also be a big factor.

At least now we have a price - 3999 euros is cheaper than the VW60 (4999 Euro RRP I think which as everyone knows is vastly overpriced compared to the US/Japan prices and competitors).

It's certainly not as aesthetically pleasing as the sony.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg /forum/post/12743793

? Um huh? Yes it is. SXRD is liquid crystal on silicon LCoS.

Unless you are trying to make a symantics statement in that Threefive systems has the trademark LCOS.

It is based on the same model as LCOS but Sony has done some of their own things to it. The SXRD panels are not the same as the LCOS panels in JVC products. That is what I mean.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch /forum/post/12751448

If they can give me VW-60 panels/performance + a Realta + lots more lumens for less than the price of a VW-60, then they can model the casing on my mother-in-law's head for all I care!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.