Six Million Dollar Home Theater - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 95 Old 01-16-2008, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtimes View Post

Ah well - Digital Projection are just up the road from me - I should try and get a look at their stuff.

Yes you should. They do some cool stuff.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 95 Old 01-16-2008, 09:16 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

It also has poor ANSI and on off contrast very very poor uniformity and color.

Art

All true but right now it is the only 4K projection device so people suffer with it, and devices like the baselight have a projector probe to do a "closed loop" calibration to improve the PJ's poor performance. A 2K christie, etc. is a better idea for pro work imo....
post #63 of 95 Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarfilms View Post

All true but right now it is the only 4K projection device so people suffer with it, and devices like the baselight have a projector probe to do a "closed loop" calibration to improve the PJ's poor performance. ..

post #64 of 95 Old 01-16-2008, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

All true but right now it is the only 4K projection device so people suffer with it, and devices like the baselight have a projector probe to do a "closed loop" calibration to improve the PJ's poor performance. A 2K christie, etc. is a better idea for pro work imo....

http://www.barco.com/Presentation/en...p?element=4068
post #65 of 95 Old 01-16-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Nice,

I assume it uses sony lcos panels and barco doe a better job with them or are they newer panels?

-Rob-
post #66 of 95 Old 01-16-2008, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Nice,

I assume it uses sony lcos panels and barco doe a better job with them or are they newer panels?

-Rob-

They finally state in the pdf brochure that the 10,000 contrast ratio is actually described as "high dynamic contrast" which is actually quite low.
I tried to post M.Myer's infamous 2 pixel misconverged picture for the comparable Sony 4K LCoS, but he removed it.
Achieving perfect (or close-to-perfect) convergence (over the entire screen) for a three-panel 4K projector must be one difficult challenge.
post #67 of 95 Old 01-16-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

They finally state in the pdf brochure that the
Achieving perfect (or close-to-perfect) convergence (over the entire screen) for a three-panel 4K projector must be one difficult challenge.

There have been many people asking for a 4K Thompson Viper (currently a 3 chip 1080P beam splitter camera Miami-Vice and others shot on it) but it is practically impossible to align the three CCD's on the beam splitter I would imagine that a projector is going to have the same issue. There are now several "4K" bayer mask (single 35mm size sensor) D-Cine cameras which can resolve 2-3K of actual resolution but color is sampled as 4:2:2 and interpolated in post with advanced but slow de-mosaic algorithms.

It seems to me that with digital projection and digital origination you can either have high resolution with loss of color fidelity or high color fidelity with a loss in resolution. I cannot imagine a 12K to 16K (Imax equivalent resolution) with a 3 device projector, so then what a 8K DLP with a color wheel?

There are some very interesting techniques for scanning film at high res and color space. A great example it the Arriscan which uses a 3K monochrome cmos sensor that can be moved with linear motors to achieve up to 6K scanned resolution. This scanner has a set of R,G,B hi intensity LED's which flash low and then hi intensity for each color to make up a hi res, high dynamic range and high color fidelity scan. Amazingly enough it runs at up to 2fps.

Call me a cynic (or realist) but I think there are some very serious obstacles to be overcome in order to get digital projection to match the hi fidelity of a 70mm projection, or even a 35mm one.
post #68 of 95 Old 01-17-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree. One of the primary lessons I've learned is to never buy bleeding edge technology. Wait for others to make the mistake.
Here the 4K projectors are NOT ready for primetime: else they would be in commercial movie theaters. The commercial 2K DLP projectors are disappointing too as they do not even come close to the resolution of film.
The subject system here is not practical. Only a Saudi price could afford its blurry picture with no video sources. Why not just go to the movie theater?

If I want true super high rez one can buy a 2560*1600 LCD flat panel with perfect registration. I'm eyeing one for digital camera pictures and general PC use:
http://www.hothardware.com/articles/...ayPort/?page=7
post #69 of 95 Old 07-23-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Why not just go to the movie theater?

Picture quality in commercial movie theaters is hit or miss, and the sound quality is rarely if ever better than passable.

Creating a cost-no-object theater on a personal or professional level allows one to appreciate all different types of media presented at the very highest, most transparent level.

Cheers -

Jeremy

Kipnis Studios

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

www.VideoCalibration.com

www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

Senior Contributing Editor-At-Large - HomeTheaterReview.com
post #70 of 95 Old 07-24-2008, 08:53 AM

You guys have really bummed me out. Just when I had $6 mil set aside for a HT project..........now i'm gonna have to rethink.
post #71 of 95 Old 07-24-2008, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
A couple quick jibes:

"The 21st Century Screening Experience!" and "There are over 500 [vacuum tubes] used in Ciné Beta!" don't go together in my book. I am very sorry but vacuum tubes are very much a 20th century device (actually 19th century!)

And I have an even harder time with the following: "The business saying “good is good enough” dehumanizes the real-time life experience of art and all it’s creationary aspects. And then you are no longer involved with quality, fidelity, or integrity. This almost always comes down to a commercial decision rather than an artistic choice." Oh, brother - and this isn't true of Hollywood movies? They are very much a business decision and each one has a budget. The producer does decide when "good is good enough" and thus "compromised" So I'm not sure what content is shown the 6 million dollar theater but it isn't artistic by KSS's own standards. Oh, and I doubt Hollywood used vacuum tube amps at every or any stage of the filming making process. Wait, I take that back the first "talkies" in the 30's I'm sure used vacuum tubes in the recording process. Gee, If we could only have that olde timey sound quality today.

There are many other flaws in the preachings of the KSS website. I don't have the time or references on-hand to debunk other claims on that site.

-Mr. Wigggles

Ps. It just dawned on me that K.S.S. is very close to K.I.S.S. or "Keep It Simple Stupid"

The Mothership is now boarding.
post #72 of 95 Old 07-25-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 275
For the haters, you might look into the writeup we did over at HTF (no links allowed) on the KSS. Mr. Kipnis is not shy about addressing the doubts we mere mortals have when confronted the idea of spending aproximately 60x the value of our existing mortgages for the creation of a Home Theater. As someone who has met Jeremy and spent some time in his theater I can assure you this guy is the real deal and that this is a business venture as much as a personal entertainment pod in his home. From an engineering perspective it seems solid, tho I agree the location and the website are not optimal =) As he himself explains tho, this is a journey and not a destination, and the current incarnation which happens to be housed in his home is simply one step on a long walk, and future installations can and should be put in more obvious locales.

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #73 of 95 Old 07-26-2008, 10:39 PM

Hi -

I have just completed a Sony SRX-R220 4k projector review, featured on HomeTheaterReview.com:

http://www.hometheaterreview.com/fro...x-r220_4k.html

My experience with this projector has been hit and miss (out in the field), but under controlled conditions, it at least lives up to much of what 70 mm film can dispatch - and there is no frame stuttering, dirt, scratches, or reel changes!

Comments?

Or may I offer a full demonstration to anyone interested?

Cheers -

Jeremy

Kipnis Studios

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

www.VideoCalibration.com

post #74 of 95 Old 07-26-2008, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm definitely coming back to see if the upconverting of consumer media to 4k makes a difference. =)

Quote:

The hydro company will love you with that home theater.

We covered that in the interview I referenced above. Again the engineering principles underlying the electric feeds are impressive, you should check it out, I dont think any of the magazine articles covered that. =)

Sam Posten
post #75 of 95 Old 07-26-2008, 11:15 PM

I just completed my "South of the Border" Cinema Survey:

See the pictures of the Coca Cola theater in Atlanta, GA featuring several Sony SRX-R projectors:

http://web.me.com/kipnis/The_Kipnis_...y_Theater.html

They got it "Right"!

Cheers -

Jeremy

Kipnis Studios

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

www.VideoCalibration.com

post #76 of 95 Old 07-27-2008, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
All that and not a single photograph worthy of the granduer offered by Alpha or Beta. Pity.
They really need images like these for illustration:
http://www.highendpalace.com/HEP%20Projectors.htm
post #77 of 95 Old 07-27-2008, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

Cant argue the equipment is some of the very best. As far as design I think it is a good blend as this also serves as a demo/showroom for much of the equipment he sells.

I agree

as much as i love the typical well integrated mini theater design (mini THX cinema at home, stadium, rack full, curved scope, pro cinema speakers),
this is nice to show off beautiful products
reminds me bit the widescreenreviewn main room
post #78 of 95 Old 07-27-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA View Post

All that and not a single photograph worthy of the granduer offered by Alpha or Beta. Pity.
They really need images like these for illustration:
http://www.highendpalace.com/HEP%20Projectors.htm

There's a pretty ridiculous "note about reference screens" at the bottom of that page. The type of "info" only a salesman could write with a clear conscience.
post #79 of 95 Old 07-27-2008, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinerOfReality View Post

Picture quality in commercial movie theaters is hit or miss, and the sound quality is rarely if ever better than passable.

Creating a cost-no-object theater on a personal or professional level allows one to appreciate all different types of media presented at the very highest, most transparent level.

Your review missed that the projector does not take a digital input, I seem to remember As expected even small temperature variations degrade performance: no doubt convergence does too Don't even ask the bulb price.
Perhaps if our friendly middle east prince could rent pure digital DCI releases at 4096 resolution, then K.S.S concept might be worthwhile.
However over here, as T. Bone Pickens states, we Americans are paying $700 billion a year to finance an opulent lifestyle. This and the "drunks" on Wall Street, who mortgaged away our future, remind me of the recession reality thread of a few months ago.
Lastly buying dozens of amplifiers over several decades, I know that heavy massive power amplifiers do not sound as good as the lightweight energy efficient resonant switching power supply based amplifiers. Think energy self-sufficiently.

But many in the industry review components which there own countrymen do not take seriously. Take for instance the British and their pushing of $2000 CD players. Somebody somewhere must be buying this obsolete gear now?
post #80 of 95 Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Your review missed that the projector does not take a digital input, I seem to remember As expected even small temperature variations degrade performance: no doubt convergence does too Don't even ask the bulb price.

I wonder if you really read the review?

I said that it takes just about any digital input (and analog as well) from 480i to 2160P @ 24, 30, 48, & 60 fps, thanks to the four different input card types - including DVI with HDCP.

The white field uniformity is variable over the life of a bulb, but is easily correctable using a special alignment camera and software.

Convergence is spot on! I wouldn't accept it any other way - especially as I enjoy sitting 0.75 screen widths away.

The bulbs are very expensive ($4,950.95 MSRP) but so is the projector. It is what you would expect from the Lamborghini of light engines. So replacement tires (5,000 ANSI Lumens each) are understandably BIG BUCKS!

Cheers -

Jeremy

Kipnis Studios

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

www.VideoCalibration.com

post #81 of 95 Old 07-29-2008, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

I just completed my "South of the Border" Cinema Survey:

See the pictures of the Coca Cola theater in Atlanta, GA featuring several Sony SRX-R projectors:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1013394621

They got it "Right"!

Inloggen op Facebook
Je moet zijn ingelogd om deze pagina te bekijken.
post #82 of 95 Old 07-29-2008, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Ya..
post #83 of 95 Old 07-29-2008, 02:00 PM

post #84 of 95 Old 07-29-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Takes me to http://nl.facebook.com/ for registration, why put it up on a closed site when you have a long list of hosting options for a sig...
post #85 of 95 Old 07-29-2008, 02:27 PM

Well, I posted it there first. But I'll create an open link for you, shortly

Cheers -

Jeremy

Kipnis Studios

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

www.VideoCalibration.com

post #86 of 95 Old 07-29-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Jeremy.
post #87 of 95 Old 07-29-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

Thanks Jeremy.

Always my pleasure!

What's really amazing is that it takes Coca Cola to deliver the quality that the Sony projectors are capable of. I have seen more than four dozen examples (of SRX technology) that are laughable in comparison to film or DLP Cinema.

But the SRX engines do have the capability to look absolutely stellar!

Cheers -

Jeremy

Kipnis Studios

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

www.VideoCalibration.com

post #88 of 95 Old 07-30-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Do they have the same setup in the CocaCola experience in Vegas? I was in that one about 5 years ago and remember it being state of the art for it's time.

Speaking of 4k boxes, saw this on Giz today too:
http://gizmodo.com/5030792/meridian-...-no-pixelation

Sam Posten
post #89 of 95 Old 07-30-2008, 12:38 PM

Coca Cola takes their brand image really, really seriously. I believe they would have been using an IMAX 15/70 projector five years ago. I suspect they are using the same SRX-R220s that I saw in Atlanta, now in Vegas.

Cheers -

Jeremy

Kipnis Studios

www.Kipnis-Studios.com

www.VideoCalibration.com

post #90 of 95 Old 07-30-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Coca Cola takes their brand image really, really seriously. I believe they would have been using an IMAX 15/70 projector five years ago. I suspect they are using the same SRX-R220s that I saw in Atlanta, now in Vegas.

Jeremy, did you actually make it to the 'Coca Cola presents' 70MM film festival in Copenhagen this April?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page