AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   Six Million Dollar Home Theater (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/976375-six-million-dollar-home-theater.html)

reincarnate 01-12-2008 06:38 PM

http://kipnis-studios.com/The_Kipnis...ning_Room.html

Perhaps we should ask how the recession is affecting his purchases too?

brandonnash 01-12-2008 07:05 PM

I've been on the site and looked at the review in Home Theater magazine. It's quite possibly the most intimidating AND inviting theater I've ever seen. I'm not sure there's anyone who could see the theater and not want to watch movies in it.

FremontRich 01-12-2008 07:30 PM

Hell, their webpage must have cost them $6,000,000 to produce...

R Harkness 01-12-2008 07:35 PM

Yuck.

I know, we AV geeks are supposed to go all slobbery at the mouth when we see mountains of expensive looking equipment. But I'm not really looking for teeth rattling, ear-damaging movie viewing experiences a home. Those I can get from the theater, over-cranked as they are these days. At least at home I can play at a comfortable volume.

As well, all that equipment and huge towering speakers with billions of speaker drivers facing you may be an uber-geeks wet dream, but I'd much rather have a more understated, cleaner, less intimidating look. I personally like when the gear is invisible and it's just the image, like a portal into another world.

tvted 01-12-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Yuck.

As well, all that equipment and huge towering speakers with billions of speaker drivers facing you may be an uber-geeks wet dream, but I'd much rather have a more understated, cleaner, less intimidating look. I personally like when the gear is invisible and it's just the image, like a portal into another world.

Absolutely, all that stuff is simply distracting.

ted

Hughman 01-12-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvted View Post

Absolutely, all that stuff is simply distracting.

ted

Absolutely +1, they don't exactly put the "home" in home theater. As much as most would drool at such a sight, from what I could tell from other postings of this theater the amps had no power to them and most of the speakers must have been wireless. For me understatement is valued highly and this sort of presentation is imo nothing more than garish braggartism at it's finest, but to each his own as the cute couple on the couch appear very turned on with the result and that's all that really matters.

Tracks of Colored spotlights to highlight the equipment but no DTS or Dolby signs anywhere to be seen, what were they thinking...LOL.

westgate 01-12-2008 08:36 PM

i used to get jealous and envious when i saw expensive stuff like that but not any more. maybe its encroaching upper middle age or who knows. just more stuff (although nice stuff!) to clutter up ones life with.

i might, however, get a little green around the gills over a gulfstream IV or whatever # it is now.

nah!

Art Sonneborn 01-12-2008 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Yuck.

I know, we AV geeks are supposed to go all slobbery at the mouth when we see mountains of expensive looking equipment. But I'm not really looking for teeth rattling, ear-damaging movie viewing experiences a home. Those I can get from the theater, over-cranked as they are these days. At least at home I can play at a comfortable volume.

I agree,even with that budget, few here would have created that almost perverse monstrosity I bet.

I did enjoy the web site (especially the Star Trek theme and the Day the Earth Stood Still)

Art

Tutmos 01-12-2008 08:53 PM

Very poorly placed. I'm sure it's all very expensive and very high quality but it crosses over the line of stupid with respect to a home theater experience. I thought the idea was to keep the focus on the screen, not all the other lights and reflections around the room. Maybe he has big bolts of black out cloth that screens the white book cases and all the amps / speakers when not trying to show off everything.

Ash Sharma 01-13-2008 07:26 AM

Is thier a merit to 56 ft lamberts instead of 16 specified by smtpe?

dimitris2u 01-13-2008 08:52 AM

They are probably playing at 4 times the reference level too.

TPigeon2006 01-13-2008 09:32 AM

There is a saying..."more money than sense".

Alan Gouger 01-13-2008 09:57 AM

Cant argue the equipment is some of the very best. As far as design I think it is a good blend as this also serves as a demo/showroom for much of the equipment he sells.

Tryg 01-13-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPigeon2006 View Post

I see that here too but just at a smaller scale. obviously this guy has too much money.

I did find it interesting he choose a Stewart Snowmatte white screen. Yes ideal for the best image quality. No optical coating, no artifacts, just a $80 piece of white PVC....with a $11,000+ frame

swifty7 01-13-2008 10:06 AM

I personally loathe those huge speakers, I like the clean look not all that clutter.

Art Sonneborn 01-13-2008 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPigeon2006 View Post

There is another one "do you walk to work or carry your lunch?"

Art

Art Sonneborn 01-13-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg View Post

I see that here too but just at a smaller scale. obviously this guy has too much money.

I did find it interesting he choose a Stewart Snowmatte white screen. Yes ideal for the best image quality. No optical coating, no artifacts, just a $80 piece of white PVC....with a $11,000+ frame

So Stewart is selling a standard frame for $11,000 ?

Art

Art Sonneborn 01-13-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post

Is thier a merit to 56 ft lamberts instead of 16 specified by smtpe?

Way way more impressive and could help overcome all of the lit indicators and dials that are in your face in that set up.

Art

Glimmie 01-13-2008 11:32 AM

Is it a theater or a store demo room? I see it as the latter. I read the page from cover to cover and I just don't get what he is selling. Yes there is a a vast amount of top line equipment but the execution is rather sloppy. I would have budgeted a few less Mcintosh amps and built a reference room. There is also no direct link between the commercial theater shown and his company. Did he build that? He also fails to see his attempt at establishing a new "standard" is fruitless. Movies are timed at anywhere from 12fl to 16fl as per SMPTE specifications. Playing them back at a higher light level is not going to give the same look. Now if he wants to sell these theaters to industry executives like the site claims, it better match what they see in the studio screening rooms.

And what's with the "higher than IMAX" claims? How does one generate a more resolution than the source has in the first place? Well we all do, it's called upconversion. Furthermore where does a home viewer even get access to any material above the two HD DVD formats in terms of quality. Yes, a top studio executive may be able to bring home a DCI master but those are far and few.

Again, I just don't get what KSS is selling. It looks to me like stereo store. If he is selling theater design and construction, there are no examples of such work on the site. And what's with the third theater? Is it a kitchen?

Tryg 01-13-2008 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

So Stewart is selling a standard frame for $11,000 ?

Art

I'm sure it's more than that. It's a 18' x 10' 4 way masking system. I'm just guessing the price

R Harkness 01-13-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Again, I just don't get what KSS is selling. It looks to me like stereo store. If he is selling theater design and construction, there are no examples of such work on the site. And what's with the third theater? Is it a kitchen?

I found that utterly confusing as well. It was a lot of puffery about performance and dedication and I kept asking "What is this about? What exactly are they selling? ARE they selling anything?"

frank456 01-13-2008 12:28 PM

I guess that at the level the customer is in financially it just comes down to having anything you want over and above what is 'really' needed. If I had that kind of money I would do it as well but just 'differently'.

reincarnate 01-13-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg View Post

Most of the gear has limited distribution and large markups such as the Macintosh. The custom installer wet dream!
It would also take a full time technician to maintain it. Too much gear is a headache. I would simplify the design.

cpto 01-13-2008 09:02 PM

It's hard to be critical of something that costs more than many (most?) of us make in a decade. Having said that, it was the most uninviting home theater I've ever seen - at any price. It reminds me a little of pictures of Trump's residence in NY - lots of gilt and shiny marble, but little in the way of taste. I have trouble imagining that all the audio equipment is necessary either for the CD-level quality of laserdiscs or the Dolby 5.1 of most DVDs. And, between the light output of the projector and the heat thrown off by the Macs I suspect that SPF 15 is the minimum required to enter the theater.

Still, it's his money, and if the theater meets his needs and he enjoys it, more power to him for realizing his dream.

Monkeypillow 01-13-2008 10:43 PM

Where are consumers supposed to get 4K content?

erkq 01-13-2008 10:46 PM

What a phase nightmare. All those drivers! Perhaps one listening position can be optimized but that's it.

And, like others have said, I like my equipment to disappear. It's all in a projector room and behing the SMX screen.

QQQ 01-13-2008 11:14 PM

FWIW, the owner of this theater posts here all the time in the ultra high end forum under the name DefinerOfReality for anyone that wants to check out his posts on the subject.

Josh Z 01-14-2008 07:53 AM

51 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypillow View Post

Where are consumers supposed to get 4K content?

Indeed. It amuses me how the site brags about the resolution of the projectors being greater than an IMAX theater, but completely neglects to mention that the highest quality source available is still 1080p and no amount of upscaling will make it look as detailed or crystal clear as a real IMAX print. In fact, too much upscaling is likely to make it look artifacty as hell at those screen sizes.

reincarnate 01-14-2008 03:06 PM

If the upscaling is done at an exact even multiple, then there should be no additional artifacts. So 1920*1080 becomes 3840*2160. Or stated another way one pixel becomes four pixels. The resolution stays exactly the same.

erkq 01-14-2008 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

If the upscaling is done at an exact even multiple, then there should be no additional artifacts. So 1920*1080 becomes 3840*2160. Or stated another way one pixel becomes four pixels. The resolution stays exactly the same.

Sounds like a complete waste of a 4k projector. Take a 2k pixel, put a horizontal and vertical line through it and get 4 4k pixels. And, pay HOW much for the privilege??

Edit: oops... numbers... math...