How Much Mercury are in Lamps? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 02-16-2008, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sharp XV-Z12000 projector. I was watching TV and the lamp exploded with a loud bang. I then saw "smoke" billowing up under my recessed lighting. Consulting the owners manual, it stated that the projector would exhaust the mercury gas contained into the room and that if exposed I should consuldt a doctor. I am very concerned about the health hazards since both me and my son were exposed to the gas.

Has anyone else had this experience, or does anyone know the true extent of the danger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 02-16-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack 15 View Post

I have a Sharp XV-Z12000 projector. I was watching TV and the lamp exploded with a loud bang. I then saw "smoke" billowing up under my recessed lighting. Consulting the owners manual, it stated that the projector would exhaust the mercury gas contained into the room and that if exposed I should consuldt a doctor. I am very concerned about the health hazards since both me and my son were exposed to the gas.

Has anyone else had this experience, or does anyone know the true extent of the danger?

I wouldn't worry... those are CYA words the manufacturer puts in the manual. I doubt the amount of mercury could do any harm unless you subject yourself to exploding mercury lamps day after day for months.
post #3 of 48 Old 02-16-2008, 08:37 PM

Do you happen to know how many hours were on the lamp ?
post #4 of 48 Old 02-17-2008, 12:01 PM

Thats what Im worried about, mercury vapour is very toxic. It seems most people dont care about this risk, is there nothing to worry about?
post #5 of 48 Old 02-17-2008, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you sure it was the bulb? The color wheel goes with a bang too. When I pulled the bulb I found it had not blown apart.

The vapor will settle into your carpet and furniture. I am not so sure I would worry about this amount of exposure however. Probably more in the fish you eat than from your bulb.
post #6 of 48 Old 02-17-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Did you have a similar experience? I have been researching Mercury exposure from broken fluorescent lamps. A Wikipedia reference states "Fluorescent lamps contain mercury vapor, and if broken, they can contaminate the surrounding environment and poison its inhabitants." Although a different type of lamp, the same vapor. I take this kind of risk seriously, especially when I saw the exhaust of the projector billowing into the air!
post #7 of 48 Old 02-17-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

No, I have not gotten near the projector since it blew. I have been in contact with Sharp and I am trying to work with them before doing anything else.
post #8 of 48 Old 02-17-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I suppose long term affects no one really knows...but I have not heard of any short term issues.
post #9 of 48 Old 02-17-2008, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I can't wait for laser or LED to be the standard for FPs. I won't miss UHP lamps. SJ
post #10 of 48 Old 02-18-2008, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

For many reasons I agree.
post #11 of 48 Old 02-19-2008, 03:31 AM

After a few comments on exploding lamps, and the danger of Mercury vapour, Ive discovered that a normal CFL energy bulb has 5mg. This amount, if broken, appears to be easily dispersed in the air and after 1 hour no real danger should be present.
I cant seem to find any info on Mercury content in Projector Lamps, so any help would be greatly appreciated
post #12 of 48 Old 02-20-2008, 03:21 AM

anyone know?
post #13 of 48 Old 02-20-2008, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I honestly cannot say if this has ever been discussed...
post #14 of 48 Old 02-20-2008, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had a big case years ago where lots of mercury was released in lots of people's homes.

There were lots of injuries that were alleged but I honestly never saw a case where anyone suffered a real injury as a result of exposure.

Also, as a kid, I remember playing with mercury from a broken thermometer. Most people agree that it didn't do anything to me.

I wouldn't worry about it. If your lamp pops, open your windows and air out the house if you feel like you need to.

Also, stay away from fish. Lots of mercury in Tuna, for example.

Affable Nitwit
post #15 of 48 Old 02-20-2008, 07:47 AM

Liked: 13
Broken CFL bulb cleanup has made it to urban legend status on Snopes.

--Dan

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 48 Old 02-20-2008, 07:57 AM

From here:

"The amount of mercury per bulb can range from 2.2mg in a fluorescent lamp to more than 30mg in a UHP lamp."

Xenon lamps don't have any mercury.

Joe
post #17 of 48 Old 02-20-2008, 08:33 AM

The EPA site on mercury cleanup:

http://www.epa.gov/mercury/spills/index.htm#flourescent
http://www.epa.gov/mercury/
http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/hazwaste...amps/index.htm

The issue with mercury is that it is bioaccumulative. Once it enters your system (which it does fairly easily), it never leaves. You don’t pass it and you don’t metabolize it (like most poisonous substances) - it just builds and builds. Fish, while not exposed to any large dose, contain high levels due to accumulation over time (you are not supposed to eat some fish caught around here due to high mercury levels). One isolated incident probably isn’t going to cause much of a problem, but continued exposure over time is another issue. It can cause neurological disorders (especially in children). Remember the “Mad Hatter”- some hat makers used to use mercury to help shape hats, with the continued exposure leading to mental issues.
post #18 of 48 Old 02-20-2008, 09:07 AM

Its too late for me, I still have some Amalgam fillings.
post #19 of 48 Old 02-20-2008, 12:53 PM

zack,
mercury poisoning takes a long, long time. the term " mad as a hatter" is derived from the process of making felt hats. those workers were exposed to chronic(years to decades), high doses of mercury.
i personally wouldn't worry about it.

Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 48 Old 02-20-2008, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

OK so I have a family friend. Her father was a chemist and happened to have a nice bottle of mercury around the house. When she was 10, she was looking around and picked up the bottle. She was fascinated by the liquid metal stuff so she took it out and played around with it.

Well for some time every once in a while she would play around with the Mercury and one day for some crazy reason she decided to put it in her mouth to see what it tasted like. Well due to the nature of the stuff, she accidentally swallowed it.

It was somewhere between a teaspoon to tablespoon of mercury (they think is was closer to a tablespoon).

Well anyway she felt stupid about it so she didn't tell anyone. In about a day or so she got really sick and ended up confessing that she consumed the mercury.

It was too late to pump her stomach at that point, but after some time she got better.

Anyway, she is about 55 years old now and has 5 kids. She has great health and is pretty smart. None of her kids seem to have any handicaps either. (although I wasn't so sure when they were about 12 or so).

Kinda crazy story eh?

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
post #21 of 48 Old 02-21-2008, 12:21 AM

I dont think there has ever really been any concern or proper awareness of it.
For me, a mercury lamp usually poses NO danger.Yet a projector lamp has such pressure and heat that by its very nature at the end of life/or fault they are very suseptible to cracking or breaking open.
I for one used projctor thinking they were just normal lights, until I realised that they do break, they do contain mercury, and it could be a danger never realised. Either that, or most people really dont care....

(I just recieved a response from Epson, stating that the lamp contains small amount of mercury that are perfectly safe as its such a low dose. It appears even they have no idea, so how on earth would the consumer)
post #22 of 48 Old 02-21-2008, 03:37 AM

This is an article from philips (Who make the UHP lamps), interesting read as its facts.

http://www.lighting.philips.com/gl_e..._lamps&lang=en
post #23 of 48 Old 02-21-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you to everyone for their thoughts...I appreciate you taking the time. I too found the article from Philips and found it to be the most relevant. My big issue now is with Sharp. They have the worst customer service in the world. I have been passed around to five different reps. Last Friday a mid level person listened to my case...said that he would talk to a vice president and get back to me either that day or on Monday (even thought it was a holiday). After hearing nothing, I called again on Wednesday and was told that someone else was supposed to call me back. After calling her for two days and leaving voice mails she has not even had the courtesy to call me back. I will never buy so much as a flashlight from Sharp again!
post #24 of 48 Old 02-21-2008, 03:56 PM

I have decided not too be too concerned. As the Philips article states, they claim the amount released from a projector bulb (0.01 - 0.03) falls well within the acceptable amount for people to be "Constantly working around (upto 0.025 is fine for everyday work, 8hrs a day 7 days a week) so an hours exposure should pose no real threat.
Also, the amount which PEL see's as being safe without complications is 0.1, which the amount in the projector falls well below. The thing that made me relax also, is I probably have more Mercury in my fillings, and at any stage a flouresent bulb (In TV's, coputers, energy lights) may break at anytime, it should be fine. I even recall having dropped a flouresent lamp and it shattering on my arm, so why should I be concerned now???
post #25 of 48 Old 02-21-2008, 03:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Zack

The bulb in my Panasonic blew out one day while I was watching TV. Scared the crap out of me. When I took down the projector it sounded like glass was all over inside which left me scared to remove the lamp cage thinking my projector was ruined. I was surprised to find out the lamp had a protective clear covering which kept everything inside the lamp cage but some power ( no idea what this was ) did make its way outside and onto the projector and me when I was cleaning up the mess. The lamp had less then 500 hours
post #26 of 48 Old 02-21-2008, 03:58 PM

Also, just think, standard power cables release chemicals which can pose threats (Google), mobile phones, even smoking, or driving a car, so seriously I dont believe anything to be overly concerned with Zac, Im sure you'll be fine
post #27 of 48 Old 02-21-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

At this point, I don't think the mercury is as much of an issue as the stress I put myself though because I could get no relevant product information from Sharp. The company is an uncaring, unresponsive, and unprofessional, non-custumer service oriented organization! Thankfully, Philips has more respect for its customers...
post #28 of 48 Old 12-20-2008, 05:41 AM

As for now, you should stop worrying because if you're poisoned with mercury, you should have experienced a symptom already. Mercury is very toxic and can kill a man in a matter of minutes. I've known a kid who accidentally chewed an oral thermometer that contains mercury and he died after about 4 hours.

-----------------
Think about the environment: Vancouver Computer Recycling
Joseph Wallace
Activist
post #29 of 48 Old 12-27-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenblaze View Post

As the Philips article states, they claim the amount released from a projector bulb (0.01 - 0.03) falls well within the acceptable amount for people to be "Constantly working around (upto 0.025 is fine for everyday work, 8hrs a day 7 days a week) so an hours exposure should pose no real threat.

That's not really what I'm reading.

There's up to 30mg (0.03g) of mercury released from a bulb. A daily exposure of 0.025mg/m³ is supposedly acceptable.

My projector is in a small room with maybe 30m³. 30mg/30m³= 1mg/m³ and that would be 40x the acceptable level for daily exposure.

Also I don't like that I'm supposed to use a "mercury vacuum cleaner" to clean up the mess.
post #30 of 48 Old 12-27-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
I wonder if one lamp contains more mercury then fish!
Its been rumored actor Jeremy Piven is suffering from "mercury poisoning" due to eating sushi twice a day.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page