Help finding outdoor antenna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-28-2008, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone i currently am using a TERK HDTVa Amplified Directional Indoor HDTV Antenna from Newegg. At the moment it just doesnt seem to quite be doing the job for me when people move around the room or if the weather is all that great the reception will suffer. Its also very directional one day all the channels will come in the next I can only get 2.....I have an older VHF (old school) antenna that came with my house if i had to guess its probably almost 12-15 feet tall at the top. There is already a coaxial cable ran out there so I was thinking maybe I could just purchase myself an outdoor antenna and mount it off of the existing antenna that is already out there? My zip code is 52405.....Would anyone be able to point me towards a pretty reliable outdoor antenna that may work well for my application? Id like to stay within a somewhat reasonable price as well if possible? $50-120? Thank you guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-29-2008, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
your Milwaukee stations are all at the same compass bearing and about 27 miles out, so a decent UHF antenna should not be too expensive. (there appears to be one VHF PBS station, but antennaweb.org also shows it broadcasting on a UHF channel ? )

Since some of the stations show up "red", there must be some signal blockage involved, so I'd recommend the Channel Master 4228 or the CM 4248 yagi. You might get away with using a CM 4221 (1/2 the size of the 4228), but if you are going to go through the trouble of putting an antenna up, do it once.
http://www.warrenelectronics.com/Ant...master_ant.htm

PS: try hooking your existing outdoor antenna up and have your TV scan for over-the-air channels. It just might be a combo UHF/VHF antenna and work fine....
post #3 of 5 Old 02-29-2008, 10:42 AM

Actually He's in the Cedar Rapids Iowa Area.

Fox Runner, Hook up that antenna and see what happens. It a cheap way to find out if it'll work.

vanmeter, as far the PBS station in Milw broadcasting VHF and UHF we have two PBS channels with completely independent programming. Chs. 10 & 36. You can also count 36-1 that broadcasts a 3rd PBS option. It's mix of the HD programming from both channels.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-29-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm on Long Island NY zip 11001 and this will be our project for the summer, what you recommend for me
post #5 of 5 Old 02-29-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrunner View Post

Hello everyone i currently am using a TERK HDTVa Amplified Directional Indoor HDTV Antenna from Newegg. At the moment it just doesnt seem to quite be doing the job for me when people move around the room or if the weather is all that great the reception will suffer. Its also very directional one day all the channels will come in the next I can only get 2.....I have an older VHF (old school) antenna that came with my house if i had to guess its probably almost 12-15 feet tall at the top. There is already a coaxial cable ran out there so I was thinking maybe I could just purchase myself an outdoor antenna and mount it off of the existing antenna that is already out there? My zip code is 52405.....Would anyone be able to point me towards a pretty reliable outdoor antenna that may work well for my application? Id like to stay within a somewhat reasonable price as well if possible? $50-120? Thank you guys!

Jump back one forum in the selector bar to the HDTV reception Forum and find your local area in the sticky on US areas under Iowa at the middle of the posts. There is an active thread on your CR DMA area in IA and what the current condition of your local stations are at present. Some of the stations in your DMA are having issues with their DTV transmitters at the moment. They will help you with what works the best in your area, it has some special directional needs that an indoor antenna probably won't handle well. They can also let you know which stations are viable with your antenna and which ones to wait for before you get discouraged or invest too much too soon. I know at least one station is limping along it's existing analog transmitter until the transition and one is operating DTV on very low power. Your conditions probably won't be finalized until sometime after the Feb. 09 transition. In your DMA Warrens Electronics in the Quad cities has all the good stuff locally to fix your woes at a competative price. I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied customer on many occaisions.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page