Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-29-2008, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi-
I currently use and HDMI Splitter to send my DISH HD DVR Signal 2 2 display (one is a projector in a seperate room and I use a HDMI over CAT 5 device)
This setup works perfectly.

Because DISH does not provide FOX in HD in my area (Sacramento) and I am going to switch to DirectTV. But I want to make sure first this same setup wil work with the Direct TV HD DVR.

Does anyone use an HDMI splitter on their Direct TV HD DVR and can confirm it works. I guess there is no reason to assume it would not work, but would like a confirmation before switching.

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-01-2008, 06:42 AM

Liked: 10
Couple of things - be CERTAIN you are buying an HDMI 1.3a or b certified device. Make sure you are using 1.3a certified cables...

The 1.3a or b rev switches are important, as their are a ton of $29.99-$39.99 switches out their and they can't keep up with the datastream and you wind up with blocks of random pixelation on the screen or when you switch devices (I have DirecTV HD, an upconversion DVD and my Xbox 360) and when switching you have to make sure you don't wind up with some low priced piece of junk that ends up putting "Unsupported Format" on the screen and you have to unplug and plug back in and try again. I haven't tried HDMI over Cat 5 (I assume you mean 5e or Cat 6 though, which is what you need to handle fully 10.2GBs of data transfer)

What kind of media converters are you using? Do you have a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492 View Post

Hi-
I currently use and HDMI Splitter to send my DISH HD DVR Signal 2 2 display (one is a projector in a seperate room and I use a HDMI over CAT 5 device)

Because DISH does not provide FOX in HD in my area (Sacramento) and I am going to switch to DirectTV. But I want to make sure first this same setup wil work with the Direct TV HD DVR.

Does anyone use an HDMI splitter on their Direct TV HD DVR and can confirm it works. I guess there is no reason to assume it would not work, but would like a confirmation before switching.

thx

post #3 of 7 Old 03-01-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm with Directv and am using this switch from Monoprice, works great. I did try a splitter once but I sent it back when I found out that the 2x1 switch worked just as well as a 1x2. The splitter cost a lot more so I returned it. It did work though.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #4 of 7 Old 03-01-2008, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi-
This is the splitter I use : http://www.crhub.com/p-54-1x2-hdmi-s...ier-1080p.html

This is the HDMI over Cat% extender I use :
http://www.crhub.com/p-52-hdmi-av-ex...pto-200ft.html

These work perfectly with my DISH HD DVR. I am hoping and assuming they will work with a Direct TV HD DVR.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-01-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:

Hi-

thx

Just curious (mostly in case your plan doesn't work), but is there any reason you wouldn't want to run component to one of the two devices? The DVR has both HDMI and component and both are active at the same time. Several people on this forum use component instead of HDMI and don't see any difference in quality vs. HDMI. In fact, in some cases, they prefer it in order to avoid handshaking issues.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-01-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

better PQ with HDMI-
on my plasma (connected directly), SD TV shows look better on HDMI over component - dont know why

on my PJ when using component over CAT 5 I always had some purble bands on the picture I could not get rid of, and my receiver has a limitation where when you come in with 1080i over component, but connect to the display over HDMI you only get 720p (Onkyo 605)
so I switched from component/toslink over CAT 5 to HDMI over CAT 5 and its all good
it works perfectly now, I just dont want to make the switch from DISH to Direct and discover that I would have to go back to component with the Direct TV DVR
post #7 of 7 Old 03-01-2008, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:

better PQ with HDMI-
on my plasma (connected directly), SD TV shows look better on HDMI over component - dont know why

on my PJ when using component over CAT 5 I always had some purble bands on the picture I could not get rid of, and my receiver has a limitation where when you come in with 1080i over component, but connect to the display over HDMI you only get 720p (Onkyo 605)
so I switched from component/toslink over CAT 5 to HDMI over CAT 5 and its all good
it works perfectly now, I just dont want to make the switch from DISH to Direct and discover that I would have to go back to component with the Direct TV DVR

Well, like I said, those people that have posted here see no difference in quality between the two with the D* box. Perhaps E* equipment is different in that respect. Of course, you're the first person I've heard comment about the difference using E* equipment, my exposure to those reviews is limited.

Of course, most of the reviews have been using a direct connection - not via cat5 or a conversion to HDMI. To me, your setup sound like it's more cumbersome than it has to be.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page