Can condo association ban outdoor antennas? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-02-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I brought my old LG OTA DVR over to my Mom's condo a few months ago. I could get marginally acceptable reception on most stations with an indoor terk, but really need a little better signal strenght. I was planning on putting up a cheap outdoor antenna, but she says they told her no deal. They say dishes only on the roof. Is this the current deal, or are the wrong?

What stinks if she had an antenna pre-wired until they re-shingled the roof 5 years ago. The geniuses figured why bother with antennas anymore. Aghh.

If I can't do a simple chimney mounted antenna, I guess I could lap up an 18 inch dish, then mount an antenna to that. It just seems stupid though.

BTW - I couldn't believe it when she asked me if all digital signals are HD. We actually discussed multi-casting and the whole transisiton and how she likes the programming on the 3rd PBS station. How neat.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-02-2008, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Unfortunately for you - yes they can. Read the OTARD link in my signature for additional details.

The short of it is that they can prohibit antennas in a common area. HOWEVER, if you have an exclusive use area outside (like a patio / balcony) - you CAN mount an antenna out there and they can't say much about it.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #3 of 16 Old 03-02-2008, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting. The way I read this, the ass. doesn't need to let the DBS people install their dishes, but they do. They just don't let them install OTA antennas. Yje all look bad, so I don't get it.

There is an areas fenced in on three sides outside her back door. Not a common area for sure. I'll try a ground level antenna there and see what happens. It will be an easier install, but certainly uglier, and probably not as good, but good enough.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

Unfortunately for you - yes they can. Read the OTARD link in my signature for additional details.

The short of it is that they can prohibit antennas in a common area. HOWEVER, if you have an exclusive use area outside (like a patio / balcony) - you CAN mount an antenna out there and they can't say much about it.

Chris

post #4 of 16 Old 03-02-2008, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could you install an antenna in an attic? Do you know if there's an aluminum layer in the roof (or if it's vinyl)?
post #5 of 16 Old 03-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Heh. Ground-mount an antenna on a big pole in the exclusive use area, and they'll BEG to move it to the roof. :-)
post #6 of 16 Old 03-02-2008, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Chriscpm: you raise an interesting point. My condo association does not allow either satellite dishes or antennas on roofs - which are "common area" - but allows sat dishes and small antennas per FCC regs on "limited common areas" such as a patio/balcony. Our complex is also fully wired for cable TV.

The condo assn. you mentioned seems to be engaging in discriminatory behavior, by consenting to satellite dish installs on the "common area". Given this pattern of discriminatory behavior, it might be worth asking the condo assn. to build a community OTA antenna system on the roof, with a splitter and amplifier allowing all residents to use it.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 08:47 AM

Where I live, Ontario, federal laws WRT antenna/communications structures prevail over municipal laws. Hence, any ham radio operator can put up whatever he/she wants. If it happens to have a TV masthead on it, that's okay too. If you sign a lease agreement agreeing not to put an antenna up that's your tough luck. Now you'll have to bribe the property manager or superintendent with a bottle of booze to get a rooftop installation.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 09:34 AM

Do it anyways and see if they say anything.

I was suppose to pay a $500 fee to install a dish in my exclusive use area (balcony accessible only through my apartment or Spiderman)

I knew it was BS, but I knew fighting with the apartment staff wouldn't help either. In the end, 7 months ago I put up my Dish, in a 3gal bucket filled with concrete and I've been happy since. They've even been here (re: noise complaint) before but nothing has EVER been said about the Dish.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 AM

Actually they can only prohibit antennas under certain circumstances. If you have a place where an antenna can be installed which is not jointly used and would not present a safety threat, then they can NOT prohibit you from installing it. Check the FCC webiste and I'm sure you'll find details.

CA GUY
post #10 of 16 Old 03-03-2008, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

Chriscpm: you raise an interesting point. My condo association does not allow either satellite dishes or antennas on roofs - which are "common area" - but allows sat dishes and small antennas per FCC regs on "limited common areas" such as a patio/balcony. Our complex is also fully wired for cable TV.

The condo assn. you mentioned seems to be engaging in discriminatory behavior, by consenting to satellite dish installs on the "common area". Given this pattern of discriminatory behavior, it might be worth asking the condo assn. to build a community OTA antenna system on the roof, with a splitter and amplifier allowing all residents to use it.

Wow, this is good stuff. It was this pattern of discriminary behavior that bugged me. I think the ugly ground install, along with a letter asking about a community antenna for each roof, along with some knowledge about antennas will do the trick.

On the attic issue, its possible, but I'm pretty sure the building is sitting so I'd have to receive a signal that passed through 5 other condos first. Plus the wiring is tricky if I can't find something already in the wall. All the DBS dishes just tie wrap to the back of the gutter drains, so that would be easy.

Chris

post #11 of 16 Old 03-04-2008, 08:48 AM

Sometimes is easier to beg forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-26-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post
But just how would you keep your neighbors in adjacent units from screwing with the wiring on a common antenna?

Perhaps one of my neighbors sold the wiring that went to my unit from the common antenna.

Sat dishes are ok in my development, but no one believes ota exists, when calling the board management, they considered me a crackpot wearing a tin hat to think tv still comes OTA.
post #13 of 16 Old 11-26-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
OTOH... it took over 6 years to find and respond to this thread. Perhaps a new hat is in order.
post #14 of 16 Old 11-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 295
LOL. I already PM'd him. He knows it's an old thread.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 12-01-2014 at 09:12 AM.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
But just how would you keep your neighbors in adjacent units from screwing with the wiring on a common antenna?
I would think that if the condo company or association/management/whatever installed a common antenna system, the wiring would belong to them until the point it enters your condo, assuming you're owning and not renting. Tampering with the line running to your unit would be an issue they'd have to address. The association can lay claim to just about anything that's outside of your condo. Where we used to live, the shingles on the roof were considered common since there were 2-4 units under the same roof. However, the guttering was my responsibility since the gutters from different units didn't co-mingle. But PAINTING the gutters? Association so they could keep the color consistent. I digress, but I think a line from an association-installed antenna and amp/splitter to your condo would be association property.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-01-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 23
There is a downlead in the attic coming from the antenna 2 doors away, not sure if amped or not, I contacted the company I knew repaired the VHF portion in 2008, they declined to give me any technical information on the system as they didn't feel I was privliged to have it (although I own my unit).

2 years back I suddenly found I was going to be fined unless I painted my window/garage trim.... they (the association) are finding more & more things not to cover that they covered in the past... while continuing to raise the HOA fees.

Soon we will be mowing our lawns too I'm afraid.
Reply HDTV Technical