Noticing some choppiness on some HD channels... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-16-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if this is the right board or not, but here goes. I've never seen anything like this before. My video is choppy, not terribly so, just barely noticeable in fact, on some HD channels, but not all. Seems to get worse the more "action" is going on on the screen at once (it's really noticeable for sports, not as much for other things). I can't imagine it's an issue with my TV or receiver, because some channels work perfectly fine.

Using a Motorola HD-DVR. Called the cable company (TWC) and they said they had no idea and are sending a tech out on Thursday. Anyone experienced something like this before or have any guesses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-16-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
ABC, FOX, and ESPN-HD broadcast in 720p which handles fast moving sports better then 1080i which is used by CBS, NBC, PBS etc. Do you notice a difference based on the channel?
post #3 of 11 Old 03-16-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, FOX, ESPN and ESPN2 seem to be unaffected.

CBS, NBC, HDNet, and HD Theater are the channels where I've noticed it happen the most.

All SD channels are fine. It's odd because I've had the exact same set-up for almost a year and this problem didn't start happening until about a week ago.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-16-2008, 01:39 PM

Liked: 14
Could be that your station(s) are experimenting with new MPEG encoders. There are several posts on the Chicago OTA board about WLS-DT having video "stuttering" issues. Calls to the station's engineering department have confirmed that they were using a new encoder when the stuttering occurred. My Olevia tuner seems to be very susceptible to this while my LG tuners are not. Making this tougher to track down is that the stuttering does not occur on all programming. Live events (news, sports) seem to be unaffected for me.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-16-2008, 01:47 PM

I too have noticed this just recently with cablevision. Not sure if its compression from there end or at the studio.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-16-2008, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Weird, I have an LG TV and pretty much the opposite is true for me. Sports are the most noticeable, and all "live events" seem to be affected. As far as I can tell, even fast-paced commercials (like commercials for sporting events) seem to be unaffected.

If this was station-wide, wouldn't tons of people be affected? When I called the cable company, he seemed to think that I was the only person who had ever reported such an issue... I can't imagine the entire Los Angeles TWC area is affected, and nobody has said anything. I turned it to the college basketball on CBS a few minutes ago and it was terrible. Like, the frame would skip every three to four seconds or so.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-16-2008, 02:30 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMuffin View Post

If this was station-wide, wouldn't tons of people be affected? When I called the cable company, he seemed to think that I was the only person who had ever reported such an issue... I can't imagine the entire Los Angeles TWC area is affected, and nobody has said anything. I turned it to the college basketball on CBS a few minutes ago and it was terrible. Like, the frame would skip every three to four seconds or so.

You are the only other person I know that has problems that no one else has. I would just have the cable company come out and see for themselves. Other than that, you can try a different receiver? This would at least eliminate that as the source of the problem. What you describe does sound like an MPEG encoding issue though. This kind of thing can be very hard to track down because there are several variables.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-16-2008, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Nah, no other receivers or TVs. Seems to be getting worse. CBS and NBC are practically unwatchable. It's as if the frame-rate has been cut in half.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-17-2008, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

anybody else have any advice?
post #10 of 11 Old 03-20-2008, 01:32 PM

Im in Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley) and I just started noticing this a couple of days ago. Its like the picture is dropping frames. I was watching the last episode of Jericho and noticed that the picture looked a bit choppy. It was causing the picture to start to blur during fast motion sequences. I have also started to see this on other shows two. Its almost as if the frame rate was reduced. I really dont know what it is but Ill keep an eye out to see if it continues.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-20-2008, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well the tech came out today and swapped out my box, which appears to have solved the problem. Also the new box has a functional HDMI output, which the old one didn't. Hooray!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page