Scientific Atlanta 4250HDC HDMI with Digital Audio Out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-26-2008, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This problem is rather new. I am on my second SciAtl 4250HDC receiver as well...I've had it connected to my Phillips 42" LCD TV (42PFL7422D) since October and it has worked fine over HDMI (except for the HDMI port just dying on my first one). Over the weekend, I decided to grab an Onkyo HT-SR80 system. I connected the 4250HDC directly to my Onkyo receiver using a coaxial digital audio cable and suddenly, no more picture on my TV. The sound works great and is in DD5.1 (On the HD channels), but my TV just displays "Unsupported Video Format" and just seems to give up. Did my cable box just freak out because I am now using the digital audio port with an HDMI port? I unplugged the receiver and tried it again without the digital audio port, but the same problem occurred. What happened? It's been working fine so I know it's not an issue with the TV recognizing the 4250.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-24-2008, 07:24 PM

I have the exact same issue with my Yamaha HTR-6050. AND, I also have a Philips 42"...
post #3 of 11 Old 04-24-2008, 08:44 PM

I'm on my 4th SciAtl HD box! Same problem you described. The HDMI just dies. Component outputs work. Cable company is trying to tell me it's my Pana Plasma doing it. Yeah right.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-26-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, does the HDMI output work on the 4250 unit or it is flaky depending on what you connect it to. How about a HDMI input to an AV receiver???
post #5 of 11 Old 04-26-2008, 04:05 PM

I've had it both ways (direct to my Philips and thru a Yamaha HTR-6050) and it doesn't work either way.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-28-2008, 11:32 AM

The Scientific Atlanta box HDMI output keeps crapping out whether I hook to TV or AV receiver. I've tried both ways. I'm tiring of these cable tech appointments. The last tech told me to quit worrying about it and just hook up the component outputs to the TV. "It's digital" he said. It wasn't worth the argument....
post #7 of 11 Old 04-28-2008, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsoncm View Post

The Scientific Atlanta box HDMI output keeps crapping out whether I hook to TV or AV receiver. I've tried both ways. I'm tiring of these cable tech appointments. The last tech told me to quit worrying about it and just hook up the component outputs to the TV. "It's digital" he said. It wasn't worth the argument....

I understand.

I installed a 4250HD a few months ago and had no problems running video and audio via the HDMI into my Integra prepro. The audio even worked fine with the monitor off.

Now that I have switched to an Anthem prepro, I cannot get audio on the HDMI and the video jumps and resets periodically. Solution was to go component video and coax audio. Sigh.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #8 of 11 Old 10-25-2008, 07:14 PM

I just hooked up my Audio out (optical) to my receiver and the Dolby signal is great. I also have the HDMI hooked up to my Panasonic plasma and the left and right channels of my component outputs to my TV for when I do not want to turn on my receiver. I had heard others have had problems but I have yet to have a problem getting the Dolby 5.1 via Timewarner cable, that is on broadcast that have it.

Thought I would post it for others that have been having problems.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-08-2008, 06:30 AM

I just had the box from Comcast and I connected it to my new samsung ln52a650 via component, no problem.
I tried via hdmi with a vizio cable and it is impossible to have the picture.
Is it the box or the cable?
post #10 of 11 Old 01-07-2009, 08:39 AM

trying to connect to a new Samsung 650a. Also, component no problem. HDMI gives me picture, but no audio. All HDMI imputs work with other devices (PS3,etc) so I know it's not the TV. I'm guessing it's the cable box. Time Warner Cable in NYC was absolutely no help. I'm going to try playing with the box settings, or just live with the component connection.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-09-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Trying to get 5.1 sound with optical going from 4250 to AVS but the sound is choppy. When I play cable music from one of the music channels, the sound is perfect. The display on my receiver says Dolby Digital and had the 5 speakers lit up. I don't put on my receiver for regular shows, only those cable movies/shows that show the 5.1 label. puzzled..thanks in advance..

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page