IO Digital Cable Box, Tivo Series 2 DT and an HDTV - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Technical > IO Digital Cable Box, Tivo Series 2 DT and an HDTV

HDTV Technical

jtedesco's Avatar jtedesco
02:13 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 6
03-31-2008 | Posts: 61
I am very close to purchasing a HDTV, but I have a dilemma with my current Tivo Series 2 DT. We received this as a gift from my mother-in-law last year, and my wife does not want to replace it for sentimental reasons.

I need to connect this all somehow to be able to watch HD programming directly from the cable box, without losing the recording of the dual tuner (which of course would not be in HD). From what I have read, I just use a splitter for this and connect both to the TV, and switch back and forth from my TV. Would I then be able to watch TV in HD through my cable box while my Tivo in the background records two shows in SD?

What happens though when TV goes all digital next February? I would imagine that my TV would not receive a signal unless hooked directly up to the IO Digital Cable box, right? This would then not pass the HD signal, in my understanding, so I would not be able to watch TV in HD. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can offer.
11001011's Avatar 11001011
03:14 PM Liked: 12
post #2 of 6
03-31-2008 | Posts: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtedesco View Post

I am very close to purchasing a HDTV, but I have a dilemma with my current Tivo Series 2 DT. We received this as a gift from my mother-in-law last year, and my wife does not want to replace it for sentimental reasons.

Do you have a lifetime subscription on this Tivo?

If so you could always transfer that to a new Tivo-HD box and that would solve everything.

Quote:

I need to connect this all somehow to be able to watch HD programming directly from the cable box, without losing the recording of the dual tuner (which of course would not be in HD). From what I have read, I just use a splitter for this and connect both to the TV, and switch back and forth from my TV. Would I then be able to watch TV in HD through my cable box while my Tivo in the background records two shows in SD?

That is correct, I am sure your new TV will have multiple inputs so you can switch between the two at the press of a button on your remote.
Quote:

What happens though when TV goes all digital next February? I would imagine that my TV would not receive a signal unless hooked directly up to the IO Digital Cable box, right? This would then not pass the HD signal, in my understanding, so I would not be able to watch TV in HD. Is that correct?

Incorrect, nothing will happen to cable TV subscribers. Cable in essence does not ever have to switch to all digital. The February mandatory switch is only for broadcast TV. Cable is also required to keep the local stations in analog until 2010 I believe.

This biggest concern for Tivo users is the coming of SDV to cable. With Switched Digital Video, all current cable ready, even QAM digital tuners will be rendered useless, including Tivo's. Larger cable companies like Comcast is working with Tivo to produce a device for the Series3 and Tivo-HD's that will work with SDV, I am not sure about Series2 Tivo's.
10:07 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 6
04-01-2008 | Posts: 61
Thank you very much for the information!

I am considering the possibility of moving the current Tivo upstairs to the bedroom, and getting a HD Tivo unit for the main TV. Any idea if the same applies to Verizon Fios? Or is that all digital? Anything going to happen to them with a change to SDV?
11001011's Avatar 11001011
10:15 AM Liked: 12
post #4 of 6
04-01-2008 | Posts: 1,361
I jumped from a Tivo series1 to a Tivo-HD, so I do not know much about Series2 Tivo's specifically.

If a Tivo Series2 can control an external cable box using an IR blaster like my old series1 did then there is really no problems as the cable box will take care of everything.
11:41 AM Liked: 10
post #5 of 6
04-01-2008 | Posts: 61
Just called Verizon for further clarification. I was put in touch with the "technical department", who informed me that I could set up two TVs each with dual-tuner Tivos (in my case one with HD and one with SD) using two cable cards in each, no problem at all. Not really all that expensive either. I was also told that they are switching to "SDV" this April, but that there would be no problems at all using the Tivos with cable cards.

I think I'm going to convince my wife to put the old SD Tivo in our bedroom and get a new HD Tivo for the main TV. I'm pretty sure she'll be happy with that idea with a baby (hopefully) in our near future... she has already mentioned that she will want a nicer TV setup in the bedroom.
lpwcomp's Avatar lpwcomp
12:18 PM Liked: 10
post #6 of 6
05-15-2008 | Posts: 1
Quote:

Just called Verizon for further clarification. I was put in touch with the "technical department", who informed me that I could set up two TVs each with dual-tuner Tivos (in my case one with HD and one with SD) using two cable cards in each, no problem at all. Not really all that expensive either. I was also told that they are switching to "SDV" this April, but that there would be no problems at all using the Tivos with cable cards.

Did this tech say where you are supposed to put the cablecards in a Series 2 TiVo? (Hint: There are no cablecard slots on a Series 2) Also, cablecard does not support SDV. There are some work-arounds for the second problem coming, but how soon and how much($) is anyone's guess. Nor how well it will work.

Quote:

I think I'm going to convince my wife to put the old SD Tivo in our bedroom and get a new HD Tivo for the main TV. I'm pretty sure she'll be happy with that idea with a baby (hopefully) in our near future... she has already mentioned that she will want a nicer TV setup in the bedroom.

The Series 2 will only be able to record 1 digital channel at a time, using a cable box. You would still be able to record 2 programs at once but at least one must be on an analog channel.
Reply HDTV Technical

Subscribe to this Thread