Problems with HDTV Cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-22-2001, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody else have many technical problems with their motorola digital and HDTV cable boxes (with comcast)?

1) Picture disappears when use Menus on HDTV (and menus dont appear until you switch to HD input (a reported problem on HD cable)

2) Numerous sound breakups on certain HD channels on digital audio (and many more video breakups than on regular cable).

3)) Motorola cable box is very insensitive to remote (often misses numbers or commands the first time (and I use a pretty powerful remote, the MX-500 that has no problems on other devices)

4) When turn the digital cable box off, using a switched terminal to the HD box (the seemingly only way to control the HD box with the remote, since the brillient designers at motorola left out any remote capability on the HD box), and then later turn on the cable box to watch tv, more often than not, the HD box turns on-then turns off, and I have to get up and turn it on manually. I currently leave the box on UNSWITCHED, and leave it ON most of the time to avoid this. I have had 2 digital and 2 HD boxes and both did this.

5) Sometimes when I go from and HD channel, to a NON-HD channel, and then try to switch back to a channel by entering the numbers, it acts like the channel does not exist and wont let me enter that channel number. The problem resolves if I change with the channel up down keys, or if I turn the cable box off and on again.

There are other problems.........but these are the most common I can think of at the moment............

I guess it is a technology in the making.......and we are kinda the active beta testers for comcast and motorola (and maybe the networks as well................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-22-2001, 07:15 AM

i am thinking about getting rid of my directv and going to comcast hdtv service. Bummer to hear about the problems. How is the picture on hdtv broadcasts? Right now I dont have an hd receiver so i was going to pay comcast the $10 a month to rent it. have a toshiba 42h81 and am anxious to see what it can do. how do hd sporting events look thru comcast hd
post #3 of 6 Old 12-22-2001, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

The picture quality is good, on those shows that are HD. I found the up-converted non-HD picture was not as good, so I have switched back to using ordinary digital cable on the NON-HD stations, which also gives me the advantage of using my tv's aspect ratio controls, and watching sporting events that are non-HD in widescreen.

The comcast tech support people are kinda still clueless, so you kinda have to know the hookup stuff yourself.

I rent the tuner as well.........the technology is changing so rapidly, that who knows if there will be an upgraded, or better tuner in a year or so. If you buy it, you are kind of stuck with what you have bought.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-22-2001, 07:50 AM

Tachy,

Question for you. I currently have digital cable with TWC and will upgrade to their high definition cable so I can get HBO and Cinemax in HD. You mentioned above that you switch back to regular digital cable when watching nonHD channels. How do you switch back?

Thanks in advance.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-22-2001, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I see that Tachy is still having problems with his box. I have none of those problems, thank God, with the exception of some very minor and infequent audio dropouts on nbc. Have you tried a new box? In regards to the switching. I use the HD box just for HD and watch the other channels through the digital cable box. The picture is quite good and better than what I was getting with the regular cable line hooked into my OTA box and you can still stretch the picture. I frankly don't find the HD set up annoying at all. A couple of seconds trying to hunt for a channel is not that annoying to me. All in all, I am very happy with Comcast's service. Good luck.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-22-2001, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

The picture quality makes it worthwhile.......and yes, I have tried 2 of the digital boxes, AND 2 of the HDTV boxes, with all new cables.

To switch back to normal digital for non-HD, my remote has macro's that do it kinda automatically, so NO, it is not too much trouble. Just requires a switch of audio and video inputs.

You can do the digital cable through the HDTV tuner, but I found those pictures actually not as sharp.......and as I stated above, then I am locked into a format that gives me 4:3 with black sidebars on both sides on all NON-HD station. The above hookup allows me to change the aspect ratio as I choose, and if I do want 4:3, my tv does grey sidebars, which reportedly may have less screen burn in (as some have told me).

And yes, besides the glitches, I think the picture quality makes it worth the trouble.....just do wish there were more HD channels, and more things HD on the existing channels.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page