Cable splitter question - AVS Forum
HDTV Technical > Cable splitter question
csaag's Avatar csaag 11:49 AM 04-08-2008
I currently have Comcast analog cable service, but for whenever I switchover to digital service I have a question about On Demand/pay per view etc.

I just installed a 4 way amp/splitter that allows a return path signal, but what about other (non amp)splitters? I have some old RCA 2 & 4 way splitters. Do they allow a return path signal? I've seen splitters being sold for satellite that state they have a return path, so I was wondering if an old RCA 2 way splitter would work with On Demand etc...
thanks

CA_Guy's Avatar CA_Guy 12:24 PM 04-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaag View Post

I just installed a 4 way amp/splitter that allows a return path signal, but what about other (non amp)splitters? I have some old RCA 2 & 4 way splitters. Do they allow a return path signal? I've seen splitters being sold for satellite that state they have a return path, so I was wondering if an old RCA 2 way splitter would work with On Demand etc...
thanks

Some splitters are "bi-directional" and some are not. My gut says that if the splitter is not clearly marked bi-directional, it is not. And since you are using some old splitters as well, make sure they will pass the frequencies you need. Over-the-air requires about 900 MHz, DSS higher. Cable systems vary but all will be less than 900 MHz.
bfoster's Avatar bfoster 01:29 PM 04-08-2008
All splitters are "bi-directional", the critical part is their pass band. 5 - 1000 Mhz is what you should be using.
Up
Mobile  Desktop