Scientific Atlanta 8300 HDC + Time Warner problems - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-18-2008, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I have been using this box for a few months now over component cables and it looks great. However, I only have 2 component inputs on my Samsung HL-T5087S, so I decided to try the cable on HDMI. Once I plugged it in, it seemed to work fine, but it was changing the resolution when I switched the channel. So, I went to the settings and unchecked all but the 1080i option and the box set itself to only 1080i and it stopped switching. All was working fine, but then I went to the guide, browsed for a bit and when I went to exit the guide, the 1/4 screen video that was up in the guide stays there and leaves the rest of the screen black. When this happens the box is saying 480 on the front instead of the normal 1080i.

Has anyone had this problem? I would like to keep the box connected to HDMI so I can use the component for other devices. Also, image quality seems to be worse than with the component cables, but if anything shouldn't it be better since it doesn't have to convert to analog and back to digital?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-18-2008, 10:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Similar problems. Component looks pretty good for most and great for HD. HDMI is unstable and won't work at all withan older HDCP complient DVI set I have even with a high end adapter or HDMI>DVI cable.

I just gave up on it and use component.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #3 of 6 Old 04-18-2008, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well, after more testing, it seems to revert back to 480i after I change the source on my TV. So, if I switch from HDMI 1 (the cable box) and switch to component 1 (the 360) and back to HDMI it will go back to 480i and give me the error with the guide I noticed. Seems to me that when I switch it off of HDMI the box doesn't recognize that its connected and reverts back to the default. Huge pain for me.

I would like to use the component, but I have only 2 component inputs and that would be the 3rd component device I have. So, I would have to use a switch and manually change it every time I wanted to switch between my devices. Would be nice if I had a 360 elite.... that would solve the problem.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-20-2008, 03:10 PM

I've got the same problem with the SA 8300 HDC and Time Warner, although I've noticed that the 1/4 screen issue is corrected if I switch to a non-HD channel and then back again. It's a bit quicker than switching sources on my TV.

Also, I have a new problem - all digital audio output on my 8300 HDC appears to have died. Both coaxial and optical outputs produce no signal at my receiver, and I've tested the receiver inputs and verified that they're working. Anyone else seen this problem? It just started a few days ago, with no warning. I haven't tried the HDMI audio output yet, as my receiver lacks HDMI inputs, but I'll test that next with my TV.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-21-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

I just gave up on it and use component.

+1 here. I experienced exactly the same problems with HDMI connection on my STB. After talking to TWC tech support, I found that they will not support the HDMI port (or the eSATA port, or the Firewire or USB ports) on the SA8300HDC, or any of their boxes. There may be an update to the buggy Navigator software this summer to rectify the problem, but for now, if you don't want the box to default back to 480p every time you change sources, and pin the picture in the upper right corner when you go into the guide, you either have to use component cables, or deal with resetting the resolution to 1080i every time.

TT
post #6 of 6 Old 06-27-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenined View Post

I've got the same problem with the SA 8300 HDC and Time Warner, although I've noticed that the 1/4 screen issue is corrected if I switch to a non-HD channel and then back again. It's a bit quicker than switching sources on my TV.

Also, I have a new problem - all digital audio output on my 8300 HDC appears to have died. Both coaxial and optical outputs produce no signal at my receiver, and I've tested the receiver inputs and verified that they're working. Anyone else seen this problem? It just started a few days ago, with no warning. I haven't tried the HDMI audio output yet, as my receiver lacks HDMI inputs, but I'll test that next with my TV.

Same issue with TWC and SA 8300 HDC. Same fix....

As far as the audio, I think the issue is with the copy protection. If the HDMI connection is used from the box, it won't output digital audio via the other connections, only analog via the rca jacks. You can switch the output in the menu via "settings" "devices" and then choose digital audio output instead of HDMI. Looks like this is common w/HDMI compatible devices... my TV is the same way, as is the receiver, all new....Its actually in the manual....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page