Lose signal during the day, comes back at night... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 04-23-2008, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my system running for well over a year now with no problems. I'm running 2 HVR-1600 cards with Beyond TV. Over the past few weeks I've started losing my OTA digital signal during the day, but it comes back at night. I don't use the analog tuners at all. My antenna is the 80 inch from Radio Shack, and I also have their pre-amp. I've tried removing the pre-amp but then I get no signal. The towers are between 30-40 miles away, and I live in a river valley. The antenna is on a Rohn tower about 40 high. I'm using RG6 and the only splitter is about 2 feet from the back of the computer, so that I can feed it into the 2 1600 cards. Pulled the antenna down yesterday and removed and cleaned the connections at the antenna & pre-amp. Also made sure the aim was good. Still can't get reception during the day, only intermittent audio and garbled video. I un-installed & re-installed Beyond TV. Still only get reception after dark. This system worked fine for well over a year, with excellent reception 99.9% of the time. Weather is warm/sunny, no wind/rain to cause the trouble. Stations I'm wanting (back!) are the digitals for 5, 9, 12, 19, 48, and 64 out of Cincinnati, OH. I'm sure I'm probably leaving out some info!

Roger
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-23-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you check all the connections in the cable run? Moisture may have gotten into one of them. I would also open and reconnect all the inside connections you can get at. Also, if you are in a valley, you may want to tilt the aim of the antenna upwards just a bit to see if that helps at all.

What does the signal meter shows for the stations in the daytime versus nighttime or what you used to get?
post #3 of 26 Old 04-23-2008, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

All connections were checked and I cleaned 'em with contact cleaner. Signal during the day drops to 0 at night it is 94. Signal reading comes from within Beyond TV. I'm actually higher than Cincinnati, but there are a bunch of hills between us. Also, this system has been fine for well over a year. Only thing that I know if that changed is that I updated my Beyond TV software to the latest version. I may have to try the 4.7 version to see if the upgrade is the problem, although it still worked for a while after the upgrade. I un-installed & re-installed the 4.8 version, guess I should've tried going back to 4.7 to see if that helps.

Thanks for the quick response,
Roger
post #4 of 26 Old 04-23-2008, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by z96Cobra View Post

I've had my system running for well over a year now with no problems. ... Over the past few weeks I've started losing my OTA digital signal during the day, ... My antenna is the 80 inch from Radio Shack, and I also have their pre-amp. I've tried removing the pre-amp but then I get no signal. ...

Roger,
The simplest fix for your description of the problem is a bad pre-amp. How did you remove the pre-amp? If you bypassed it on the tower, nevermind...

If you just disconnected the pre-amp's power supply, you left a big load on the line in the form of an unpowered pre-amp that killed the signal. Bypass it and see what happens to daytime reception.

If the pre-amp's bad, I'll suggest you read the section "Comparing some common antenna amplifiers" at this link before buying a new one. It's got actual test results for several pre-amps, with a clear message based on that data.
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/basics.html

Frank
post #5 of 26 Old 04-24-2008, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

When I say that I removed the pre-amp, I removed it and the power amp completely from the system. Had direct connection from the antenna down to the splitter then into the cards. Splitter is about 2 feet before the cards in my computer. With the pre-amp & amp out of the system, I get absolutely no signal, night or day. Its just weird that everything was fine, then one day I can only get signal at night. I guess I should mention that my amp is the Radio Shack 15-2507 unit.

Roger
post #6 of 26 Old 04-24-2008, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Oh - there's your problem. Go order a quality ChannelMaster or Winegard of appropriate strength.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #7 of 26 Old 04-24-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I say that I removed the pre-amp, I removed it and the power amp completely from the system. ...

That would be a "nevermind." Sorry, had to ask.

Unfortunately, given what troubleshooting you've done, the pre-amp is still the one thing that explains everything, albeit requiring aless likely "degraded operation" failure mode. Nothing else I can think of is under your control ...

OK, just saw n4yqt's balun idea; he thought of one I missed.

Frank
post #8 of 26 Old 04-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

With all channels received by diffraction paths, it is possible that the issue is with the signal and not the equipment. But it seems too consistent for that (I'd expect some channels to work and others to fail). And even if it is that, a better pre-amp could help. I use a Channel Master 7777 in similar conditions (relatively close to the towers but with intervening hills).
post #9 of 26 Old 04-25-2008, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4yqt View Post

Have you been on http://www.tvfool.com to see where and on what channels your TV stations are broadcasting from in relation to your area?

Did that, and the graphic is in my original post! I'm starting to think it may be the Balun, at least I hope that is it! I've got a couple of extra ones here and it will be a quick/cheap fix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

Oh - there's your problem. Go order a quality ChannelMaster or Winegard of appropriate strength.

Care to elaborate? I know lots of people on here dislike stuff from Radio Shack, but mine has worked great for a long time now. I'm still not sure the pre-amp is the problem so I'm not ordering a CM or Winegard until I can prove mine is bad. I've seen the comparos of the CM's and Radio Shack pre-amps, but not my model. It also doesn't explain why I can't get reception during the day, but it comes in good at night.

Roger
post #10 of 26 Old 04-25-2008, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post

With all channels received by diffraction paths, it is possible that the issue is with the signal and not the equipment...

What is funny is I only have one multi-path channel if I use my coordinates, but when I use my address almost all channels are listed as multi-path!

Roger
post #11 of 26 Old 04-25-2008, 06:35 AM

I would normally suspect the problem is daytime atmoshperic issues or leaves on the trees (with my rooftop antenna on a rotor I have multipath problems in daytime but the signals at night are much stronger) but I have one other idea:

Could the sun be heating up a component such as the preamp and affecting its operation? I notice that your preamp case is black. Maybe I've just been listening to Car Talk too long....
post #12 of 26 Old 04-25-2008, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Precisely..

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #13 of 26 Old 04-25-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did that, and the graphic is in my original post! I'm starting to think it may be the Balun, at least I hope that is it! I've got a couple of extra ones here and it will be a quick/cheap fix!

Care to elaborate? I know lots of people on here dislike stuff from Radio Shack, but mine has worked great for a long time now. ...

Roger, here's a link that compares several different pre-amps. The RS products don't fare well compared with CM and Winegard.
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/basics.html

As you scroll down there are two pre-amp discussions before you get to "comparing some common antenna amplifiers." The data may explain the dislike. He didn't test your specific unit.
Frank
post #14 of 26 Old 04-25-2008, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Well, after a little more testing... Its not the Balun, and its not the pre-amp. Installed brand new of each with no change after each one. Now I guess I'm down to software, cable, or the antenna itself. Trying the software now...

Roger
post #15 of 26 Old 04-25-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I've had my system running for well over a year now with no problems.... This system worked fine for well over a year, with excellent reception 99.9% of the time.

Assume by the above you mean during the day(previously) as well. Which would seem to indicate the signals themselves were of sufficent strength/quality on previous occasions such that atmospheric changes for "improved" signal refraction "over the hills" wasnt necessary on a previous basis to acheive reception.

Would suggest comparisions of your analog reception before you started having problems vs. after may be of use, but if you don't have anything as an example from "before", then perhaps the current situation might still provide some insight, as it might rule out an issue with the antenna vs. something going on with your software/driver configuration/etc. Although, the info you've provided so far seems likely to me to indicate a problem between antenna+receiver, given that you are getting something in the evenings .... (bad balun, preamp no longer performing up to "specs", antenna has become "misaimed", water has gotten into the coax/etc/etc/etc) ....

For example, attached is screenshot of my current analog reception as received via HVR-1600's ANALOG tuner(seperate RF input for it on the card) of low power analog station WOTH-LP 25 Cincinnati left, and analog WCVN 54(KET Covington, KY), at right - Among my weaker local signals, As is indicated in Also attached TVfool analog+digital plots for my location ... (I'm about 33 Miles NE of you, BTW) ... Of course, this isn't meant for a "comparision" for your reception, just as an exmaple. As, for instance your terrain obstruction issues are likely more significant than mine, and my antenna setup is different than yours as well(although UHF antenna is at about 35ft AGL, similar to your 40FT) ....

BTW, although I have no problems reciving with any of the Dayton/Cincinnati/N KY digital stations on my TVfool plot(note the LP stations listed aren't on air yet with digital) , I have noticed the HVR1600's ATSC receiver's "front-end" doesn't perform any where near as well as any of my other DTV receivers ... Particularly involving certian selectivity issues, but apparently to some extent sensitivity wise as well .....

Note: Oh, If you don't have it yet, Hauppauge has a somewhat useful signal quality meter for the HVR1600 available for download on this page which shows a SNR reading, and which I've found more useful than any of the various "signal meters" I've used with various software :

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/suppo...t_hvr1600.html

Also, FWIW, I've tested several of the drivers released for the HVR1600, and OTA reception wise, haven't really noticed any differences ... However, the newer drivers do "change" the "signal readings" on the meters from various software I use (such as using BDA source drivers with TSreader) vs the older drivers. Such that, for instance with the newer drivers, there doesn't seem to be much get much of a "range" from these sorts of signal quality readings from various 3rd party software(such as TSreader using ATSC BDA source), only between 70% and 100%, with 70% being "threshold" for DTV reception with the newer drivers, vs. more of a range AND between 50% and 100%, with the 50% being around the threshold reading for the older drivers (a bit prior to them adding QAM support to the drivers) ....

Quote:

What is funny is I only have one multi-path channel if I use my coordinates, but when I use my address almost all channels are listed as multi-path!

Roger

FYI TVfool doesn't model multipath, it's showing diffraction ... I.e. the edge1 or edge2 indicates the signals are being diffracted by terrain(hills, high points in the signal path between you are the transmitter), rather than via LOS ...

You should get the best info from tvfool using (accurate) lat/long coordinates for the receive location, the coordinates for the addresses can be off .... Especially in cases like this where you're apparently in a relatively narrow river valley with nearest of "hills" (for the most part) lying to the East and West. Or If I have your location (roughly) plotted correctly with my topo map software(Delorme Topo USA) it looks like more specifically in this case with the "ridges" running mostly SW to NE along with the whitewater River "in between", the more accurate you can be with the Lat/long coordinates, the better ...
LL
LL
LL

Jeff
post #16 of 26 Old 04-25-2008, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Finally had some time to do a lot of testing today. Unfortunately I've narrowed it down to the ATSC tuners themselves, or a software/driver problem. Right now I'm running RG6 from the antenna into my window and into the computer, no pre-amp. If I hook up the analog tuners I get excellent picture on all the channels I want. I was also able to hook up my old OTA HD box (Samsung) and all the digital channels come in fine, so the antenna is good. I am able to receive WCPO 9.1 and 9.2 (channel 10), and WXIX 19.1 & 19.2 (channel 29) on my computer. All other channels are crap! I've un-installed drivers, video card drivers, Beyond TV, and nothing seems to help. I've also moved the cards into different PCI slots with no change. One thing I forgot earlier is that I installed a new video card awhile back (8800 GTS 512), but system did work for awhile after that. I may pull the new card and install my old one tomorrow. I'm tempted to go buy another HVR-1600 just to see if my tuners are shot. Done messing with it for now, been up about 30 hours straight now and I'm ready for bed!

Thanks for everyone's help! Still looking for suggestions.

Roger
post #17 of 26 Old 04-25-2008, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I hook up the analog tuners I get excellent picture on all the channels I want. I was also able to hook up my old OTA HD box (Samsung) and all the digital channels come in fine, so the antenna is good. I am able to receive WCPO 9.1 and 9.2 (channel 10), and WXIX 19.1 & 19.2 (channel 29) on my computer. All other channels are crap!

That's Weird ... Can't imagine why if the tuner is bad why those two would still be coming in and the rest are not .... As one example, WPTO-DT 14.x (Physical channel 28) transmits off WXIX's tower, and with a bit more power than WXIX-DT ...

Not sure what you're using other than Beyond TV, but If you want some more software(following is freeware) to test with that works with HVR-1600 :
Note: believe it or not, I don't ever use MCE (even though I'm using XP MCE 2005) or the Hauppauge WinTV software included with the card ... :

I often use WatchHDTV with my HVR-1600 (mainly it's TS or DVR-MS scheduler for capturing HDTV, I prefer it's very "spartan" nature and limited use of PC resources vs. other software for DVR'ing, but the "liveTV" watchHDTV viewer is nice as well) and TSreader(transport stream analyzer) with HVR-1600's ATSC tuner ...

WatchHDTV available here :

http://watchhdtv.net/default.aspx

Note: There is also WatchHDTV thread in HTPC area at AVSforum.

Note: WatchHDTV involves some manual "set up" work, such as setting up the channel lists(and usually the decoders.txt file to set up your MPEG2 and AC3 decoders properly to work with it) - You'll probably need to read the readmes/etc for the info on how to do that ...

I also often use Tsreader, a transport stream analyzer (The Tsreader lite version is the free version) available at following link (scroll down to near the bottom of page and click the link for Downloading TSreader lite, after registration page(which you don't have to fill in) - scroll down quite a bit on the next page to tsreader lite for the actual download) :

http://www.coolstf.com/tsreader/

Note: I think TSreader is fairly straightforward to install and use ... For HVR-1600 probably best to Use The "ATSC BDA source" for the input source selection. That works best for the version of TSreader I'm using, at least. But I see now they've upgraded Tsreader to a newer version since I last downloaded it, If they still have a "HVR1600" specific module for the input source, I'm not sure if their HVR1600 source works any better/etc. now than it does with the version I'm using - but I gets lots of Continuity/TEI errors for some reason with using the "HVR1600" source included with the version of TSreader I'm currently using, that I don't get if I select "ATSC BDA source" ....

Then, after you get the input source selection set up, when you open Tsreader, just type in the physical channel number(such as 29 for WXIX-DT, 10 for WCPO-DT, 31 for WKRC-DT/etc) for the station you want to tune to (note you can also open up the Hauppague signal meter I mentioned in last post and get a correct "reading" from it for whatever you tune to in TSreader) ...

Not sure whether or not any of that helps, but there it is just in case ....

Jeff
post #18 of 26 Old 04-26-2008, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

The only reason I say that my ATSC tuners may be shot is because looking at my boards I see that the analog and digital tuners are separated on the boards. I can receive the analogs just fine with no amplification and none of them have any reception issues... no static, ghosting or anything.

I tried TSreader a day or two ago with the same results. WatchHDTV also has the same reception issues. I tried un-installing everything related to video & audio I could think of. Even checked my A/V codecs. Another weird thing is that when I scan for channels the system detects all of them, but when it tests the signal strength it reports 0 for all but 9.1/2 and 19.1/2. Both of those come in at 94 in BeyondTV. I can also get WCET 48 (34) pretty good, but with some skipping/stuttering. Below are the SNR's from HWSignal Monitor.

10 ~28 SNR pretty good
28 Bounces 0 to 27.6 SNR with lots of errors - not watchable
29 ~26.5 SNR pretty good
31 Bounces 0 to 26.6 SNR with lots of errors - not watchable
33 Bounces 0 to 26.5 SNR with lots of errors - not watchable
34 ~27 some errors
35 Bounce 0 to 26 SNR with lots of errors - not watchable

When I say "lots of errors" I'm referring to "uncorrectable" errors in HWSignal Monitor. I'm going to go buy another card later today to see if it is a card problem or not. I have room for another one anyway!

Roger
post #19 of 26 Old 04-26-2008, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can receive the analogs just fine with no amplification and none of them have any reception issues... no static, ghosting or anything.

That is a very good test to do, while we still have the analogs on air - as you see reception impariments right on the screen with analogs, which can make it possible to easily diagnose reception issues in some or many cases ...

However, Do keep in mind multipath(ghosting on analogs) and other reception impairments can be very frequency("channel") specific, as well as specific to the signal paths themselves, which differ a bit since the Cincinnati broadcast towers are in different locations/different transmit antenna heights/etc ...

Unfortunetly, given that the the cincinnati UHF digitals are on channel 28~35, and the only cincinnati analog "near there" is W36DG Cincinnati - LP TBN translator ... Because you don't have "ghosting" on the UHF Cincinnati analogs, doesn't necessarily mean you don't have multipath issues for the Cincinnati digital stations ... Probably really no way to "check that" to see without expensive test equipment (spectrum analyzer) ....

But what is puzzling regards your results with WXIX-DT 29 being "good" and WPTO-DT 28 not, given they transmit from same tower, and nearly from same transmit antenna height, and on 1st adjacent channels one would expect signal conditions to be roughly similar ... If I recall correctly, I thought I had read somewhere on FCC site WXIX-DT signal uses elliptical polarization (instead of the more common Horizontal only polarization, including by WPTO-DT) but I can't find that info now ... If it is true, perhaps that might have something to do with it ....

What is also a bit puzzling is that you've said you had your system up for a year with no problems until recently. Unless something has changed(wind "moved" antenna aiming a bit/etc, lots of trees grew really fast, or lots died or were cut down/etc, or a new building/etc. was constructed very near your antenna and in direction of Cincinnati recently) If you hadn't said that, I may have suspected that the leaves coming on the trees, currently, may have effected reception conditions enough at your antenna such that you are currently experiencing these issues in some cases, and that a bit of careful "tweaking" of antenna aiming/posistioning/etc. may help the issue ...

Quote:

Another weird thing is that when I scan for channels the system detects all of them, but when it tests the signal strength it reports 0 for all but 9.1/2 and 19.1/2.

Multipath/interference/etc. effect SNR as well as those "signal quality"(not signal strength) readings. Note that Multipath uncorrectable by receiver, or any "noise" that is not part of the recoverable DTV signal is just seen as extra "noise" by the receiver. A signal can actually be quite strong and you might get 0 or bouncing around readings with those types of "signal meters".

Quote:

Both of those come in at 94 in BeyondTV. I can also get WCET 48 (34) pretty good, but with some skipping/stuttering. Below are the SNR's from HWSignal Monitor.

10 ~28 SNR pretty good
28 Bounces 0 to 27.6 SNR with lots of errors - not watchable
29 ~26.5 SNR pretty good
31 Bounces 0 to 26.6 SNR with lots of errors - not watchable
33 Bounces 0 to 26.5 SNR with lots of errors - not watchable
34 ~27 some errors
35 Bounce 0 to 26 SNR with lots of errors - not watchable

When I say "lots of errors" I'm referring to "uncorrectable" errors in HWSignal Monitor.

Yeah, regarding everything but WCPO-DT and WXIX-DT, those results could involve something else but that really sounds an awfully lot like what will happen if such issues as the following are causing problems :

#1). Multipath uncorrectable by receiver is involved ...

#2). Interference of any type .... (including IMD - intermodulation distortion - created by the receive equipment itself) such as created by a overloaded or "malfunctioning" preamp or the "front-end" of your receiver("tuner") ....

#3). possibly if the AGC (automatic gain control) isn't keeping up with rapid changes in signal levels ... Due to changes in atteunation factors from wind blowing tree limbs around/etc ....

Or some combination of those factors .....

Roger[/quote]

Quote:

I'm going to go buy another card later today to see if it is a card problem or not. I have room for another one anyway!

Just my opinion/just a thought/ but FWIW, You might want to think about something other than a HVR1600 ... As I noted before, I have one, and while It works just fine for me for Cincinnati/Dayton reception with my particular antenna setup -- for the most part concerning some tests I've done (other antennas, more distant signals when signal propagation is enhanced(dx) --- I'm not very impressed with it's performance selectivity or sensitivity wise, or for that matter regarding handling of multipath, including in comparision to my other receivers .... For example, If there is nothing that is actually "wrong" with your HVR1600, The reception you got with your "old" Samsung box in comparision to that may be an example of this ......

Jeff
post #20 of 26 Old 04-26-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions! I managed to fix the problem, whatever it was! Bought the new card and installed it and it works! Before I installed the new card, I added 2 more gigs of ram because it was cheap at Microcenter! I saw a while back on Hauppauge's site that there were drivers for systems with 4+ gigs of ram so I installed those drivers with the new card. All of my channels came back!!! Then I re-installed my 8800GTS and everything still worked, so I added in one of the old cards and it works again too!!! Hopefully the 3rd (oldest) card will also work again!!

It had to be a conflict (couldn't find any) or a driver issue. I pulled every driver I could think of and re-installed everything many different times but nothing helped. I still don't know what fixed my problem, but I'm guessing it was a messed up driver and the new one sorted everything back out.

After testing with the "box" I realized it pretty much had to be the cards. Only close trees are 2 pear trees, and I'm almost above them. I live on a small farm, and no other vegetation is close enough to mess things up.

Quote:

Note: There is also WatchHDTV thread in HTPC area at AVSforum.

I didn't see the HTPC section earlier or I would've posted there since it would've probably been more appropriate there. Thanks for pointing it out, cause there are a lot of good things to read in there!!

Thanks again everyone!
Roger
post #21 of 26 Old 04-26-2008, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Roger,

Thanks for following up and posting info on the solution to the problem. That's certianly the first time I've heard of that issue, occuring "whatever it was"(agree it sounds like driver configuration issue/perhaps win registry issue/etc), LOL. I dug up URL from their webpage regarding the 4GB issue(drivers for the 4GB fix in the "beta" section at below page), note the slight difference in the URL from the HVR-1600 page I had posted earlier in thread, which is one I had bookmarked some time ago, LOL :

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor...t_hvr1600.html

BTW, Personally, I think since you didn't know what was "going on",(reception issue, antenna issue, hardware issue/etc?) your posting in this area was appropriate, as would the same posts have been in HTPC area or our Local Cincinnati thread in reception area. And yes, feel free to join us in HTPC area or In local Cincinnati (or Dayton if you use those as well) reception threads in AVSforum local reception info area ....

Jeff
post #22 of 26 Old 04-26-2008, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitewatchman View Post

Roger,

Thanks for following up and posting info on the solution to the problem. That's certianly the first time I've heard of that issue, occuring "whatever it was"(agree it sounds like driver configuration issue/perhaps win registry issue/etc), LOL. I dug up URL from their webpage regarding the 4GB issue(drivers for the 4GB fix in the "beta" section at below page), note the slight difference in the URL from the HVR-1600 page I had posted earlier in thread, which is one I had bookmarked some time ago, LOL :

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor...t_hvr1600.html

Thats the driver that I downloaded. I was going to try it a few days back, but figured it wouldn't do anything for me since I didn't have 4gigs of ram, guess I should have tried it anyway though. Besides the cheap price, that driver is the reason I bought the extra ram today. I also went through the registry yesterday looking to see what was left after uninstalling everything. I ended up deleting some folders in the c:\\windows\\system32 folder just to try to get rid of all mention of the Hauppauge drivers/inf files. I'm just glad that I don't have two half dead cards laying here!!! Now I'll be able to record 3 different shows at once (could do 6 total with the analog tuners)!

I almost bought a Pinnacle brand card today, but I've had such good luck/performance with these HVR-1600's that I wanted to stick with 'em. I also figured if I got another 1600, and it acted the same way, then it wasn't dead tuners in the other two cards. This problem is/was the first real issue I've had with them in well over a year. I guess it was something that I installed or somehow a file got corrupted that caused my problem. I just can't remember installing anything but the new video card. Oh well, its all working again for now!!

Roger
post #23 of 26 Old 05-08-2014, 12:35 AM

Well I want to know why my dtv signal gets better at night an bad in the day its ether the heat from summer comen or the ch`s signal strength but what will help it do I get a better booster or put it up higher maybe
post #24 of 26 Old 05-08-2014, 12:40 AM

Oh also its only three ch's that go in an out comes in in the late night an urly morning then it straight goes out in the day
post #25 of 26 Old 05-08-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlie View Post

Well I want to know why my dtv signal gets better at night an bad in the day its ether the heat from summer comen or the ch`s signal strength but what will help it do I get a better booster or put it up higher maybe

You should start a new thread with your TV Fool report instead of resurrecting a 6 year old one. wink.gif

What the OP described and what you describe is very typical of the nighttime temperature inversions that set up around sunset and continue through the morning and often extend the range of non LOS signals especially beyond about 30 miles. Daytime solar heating breaks up the temperature inversions so that stations that needed some "help" become too weak to receive. A larger antenna and a preamp, if you don't already have those can improve the marginal stations but won't make the weakest stations come in all the time. No matter how big of an antenna you put up there will always be more stations that are too weak to receive reliably.

The best time to judge what I call your "nominal reception" is during a rainstorm. Rain does not attenuate DTV signals but it usually wipes out temperature inversions. The second best time is in mid afternoon when temperature inversions are usually at their minimum. What you receive at those times are without enhanced or degraded conditions. You want to design your antenna system to receive the stations you want at those times.
post #26 of 26 Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post

You should start a new thread with your TV Fool report instead of resurrecting a 6 year old one. wink.gif.

^^^^^

thread closed

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page