Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This should be a sticky
From CED Magazine - http://www.cedmagazine.com/Article-C...ts-030108.aspx

Quote:

CAPITAL CURRENTS: Digital closed captioning issues
By Jeffrey Krauss, President of Telecommunications and Technology Policy
CedMagazine.com - March 01, 2008
Although the transition from analog to digital TV offers some wonderful new capabilities for closed captioning, there are two issues that are causing confusion, and it could get worse. They deal with the must-carry decision to deliver analog programs after the 2009 end of the digital transition, and the limitations of the popular HDMI interface.

Analog captions conform to CEA-608-D “Line 21 Data Services.” CEA-608 (“native 608”) closed captions are captions designed for the analog television system and carried on the two fields of line 21 of the vertical blanking interval. The common look and feel of native 608 captions is limited to white block letters within a box-like black background field. Color (non-white) characters, while possible, are only occasionally used due to the 13-year legacy of set-top decoders and TV sets which cannot display colored captions.

CEA-708-C “Digital Television (DTV) Closed Captioning” is the standard for captions carried in a digital television signal. Because the DTV signal does not have a vertical blanking interval, the captions are carried as data within the MPEG-2 bitstream. CEA-708-C captions have greatly enhanced formatting and display capabilities compared to native 608 captions. “Native 708” captions are those authored and encoded for CEA-708-C use.

In addition, the CEA-708-C standard provides a way to carry native 608 captions within the 708 captioning data stream. Most digital cable programs today carry both the native 708 captions, which are displayed on digital TV receivers, and the native 608 captions, which are displayed on analog TV sets, within their data stream.

One issue, which will become more apparent after the cessation of over-the-air analog broadcasting, is that there is no standard way to downconvert 708 captions to the 608 format, and there are many features of 708 captions that are simply not supported in the 608 format. This limitation is particularly important during the three years that cable operators have agreed to deliver analog versions of the broadcast signals to subscribers with analog TV sets that understand 608 captions but not 708 captions.

Broadcasters might think about no longer carrying 608 captions when they discontinue analog broadcasts. That would be a big mistake. They must continue to dual carry both the native 708 digital captions and the native 608 analog captions carried with the 708 stream, if they want captions to be displayed on analog TV sets. Cable boxes should be expected to pass through 608 captions if they are present in the 708 stream, but they should not be expected to create 608 captions if only native 708 captions are transmitted by the broadcaster.

While this was never raised as an issue in the Digital Must-Carry proceeding, it was hiding in the background. If, after the transition, a subscriber files a complaint with the FCC because there are no analog closed captions on the analog TV set, it will emerge on the front burner.

The bottom line – the FCC may have to order broadcasters to continue to deliver native 608 captions as long as there are analog TVs.

The other issue is with us today, and it’s a problem. The HDMI interface has become the most popular interface for carrying digital video from a cable set-top box or a DVD player to a DTV receiver or display device. The HDMI interface carries digital video, not at the MPEG-2 compressed video rate of a few Megabits per second, but at the uncompressed rate of several Gigabits per second. It also carries digital audio and some control signals, such as the Active Format Descriptor, which is supposed to optimize the use of letterboxing and pillar bars when converting between 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios.

But the HDMI interface does not have a way to carry digital closed captions as a digital bitstream. That means that to display closed captions, the decoding must be accomplished in the set-top box or DVD player. The HDMI video bitstream thus carries open captions, if it carries captions at all.

Unfortunately, neither set-top box instruction manuals nor DTV receiver manuals do a good job of explaining this. In fact, the set-top box I have makes things particularly difficult. Pushing the “menu” button on the remote control does not bring up any relevant option. I now know that I have to first turn the set-top box “off” (it’s not really off, just in a standby mode) and then push the “menu” button. This displays a scary setup screen with black letters on a white background. Only then can I select the open caption display mode. Other brands of boxes are a little more user-friendly.

The FCC Consumer Advisory on this subject (http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-273678A1.doc) is useless. It never even mentions the HDMI interface.

Viewers who are used to having the caption decoding done in their analog TVs are mystified when they get a new DTV receiver and a digital set-top box. While the consumer electronics industry, the cable industry and the FCC have done much to educate the viewers on the transition from analog to digital, this particular problem has fallen by the wayside.

jkrauss@krauss.ws

vegggas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-26-2008, 04:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Tempest in a teapot.

This guy needs to get a clue. First off, stations DO NOT sit around all day figuring out what programs have 608 or 708 captioning. They have boxes that "do captioning" and it is a "turn on" and forget thing since there are normally no user functions to manipulate 608/708 captioning. If captioning is on a program, it is sent exactly as received and as long as it shows up on a monitor, stations are happy. As long as stations have encoders that pass 608/708 captioning (all current models do), this isn't going to be a problem.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-26-2008, 05:09 AM

Liked: 11
The issue, as least from what I've seen, is a little bit of misdirected expectation. Some folks believe that the last supplier in the supply chain (i.e., the broadcast station for OTA, and the MSO for cable or satellite) is wholly and completely responsible for ensuring that the entire supply chain supports closed captioning wholly and completely. The reality is quite different, with each supplier in the chain (production company, network, affiliate, and MSO) responsible for their own compliance
post #4 of 7 Old 04-26-2008, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Captions in HD are a royall PIA, getting them though the chain end to end through up,cross, and downconversion between gear of different mfg's is proving to be arduous.

More info here, spoke with these guys at NAB, they are one of the few who actually have a good handle on captions:

http://broadcastengineering.com/hdtv...onfusion_0408/

You'll have to skip the intro ad.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #5 of 7 Old 04-26-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yeah, captioning is a PIA when you are setting it up (God knows how well I know that after 18 months of hair pulling on my own system) but once it is set, you don't mess with it daily (or ever if it is working), unless you REALLY have nothing to do, something that most engineers don't have time for. It is really a set and forget it kind of thing. If the captioning isn't on the source material, which happens more often that it is reported, there isn't anything a station can do. If it isn't there, we can't send it, no matter what the format is, analog/digital or 608/708.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-26-2008, 03:56 PM

Liked: 10
Why send closed captioning data over HDMI? Open captions work well too.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-26-2008, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The singling out of HDMI for not being able to send the 708 caption data to the monitor strikes me as a bit odd. Component interconnects are also incapable of sending 708 closed caption data. The only interface that can is firewire.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page