ZV Box - HDTV ENCODER and Modulator announced - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 06-13-2008, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Got anote from amazon last week saying delivery now would be august.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD SD Video View Post

Our store - Best Buy is using 4 channel HD Encoder Modulator from Thor Broadcast , We are using it to display video for all 100 displayed TV's in the store , it generate 4 separate individual video programs , it does support 1080p , the video quality is amassing , looks like it can support both MPEG2 and H.264 , we ar using MPEG2 , because not all TV's tuners support H.264 yet .
It can generate QAM or there is and option for off air antenna RF signal 8VSB .they can have HDMI , HD/SD SDI inputs
It has also IP output , we multicast TS stream all over the store , and we can display those 4 programs on any computer in the store using VLC program .... it is so cool biggrin.gif:D:)

Price? Last I knew, there was still a royalty payment to be made by anyone who manufactures 8VSB products.

General availability? Might this product only be available to certain classes of commercial customers? I doubt that program copyright holders want products that defeat the HDMI HDCP (did I get my letters right?) encryption as this product seems to.
post #33 of 37 Old 12-05-2012, 04:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
there was still a royalty payment to be made by anyone who manufactures 8VSB products.
To who? Goldstar (LG) /Zenith?? confused.gif
When does that run out, or does it?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #34 of 37 Old 12-05-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

In another thread elsewhere in this forum, someone said it was Zenith.

I'm pleased to learn that the patent on Norvasc ran out a few years ago. Now I just need to find someone in Canada to sell it to me without a prescription.
post #35 of 37 Old 12-05-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Which is now Goldstar (LG if you prefer). That being one reason Goldstar bought the Zenith name; for all the patients with their associated royalties. mad.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #36 of 37 Old 12-05-2012, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

From Display Daily, January 30, 2012

Last One Out, Please Turn Off the Lights
January 30th, 2012
Quote:
Zenith was acquired by LG over a decade ago, mostly for its 8VSB DTV patents.

When I sought out the 8VSB patents, my search was done in by too many dead links.

Here is an old story about unnamed ATSC tuner patent holders demanding substantial royalties:

Dec 6, 2006
TV makers to fight royalties
By Wen Dao (China Daily)
Updated: 2006-12-27 09:44

Chinese TV makers are calling for a united voice in their royalty negotiations with international patent holders for TV sets to be sold in the United States.
Shen Jian, a spokesman for China's second-largest TV maker Skyworth, said yesterday that patent holders with the US standard of Advanced Television System Committee (ATSC) asked for more than US$20 in royalties on each TV set. Chinese TV producers say that such high royalties would make it impossible for them to break even.

The US Government requires all TV sets and tuning devices sold in its market to include an ATSC tuner. The requirement will go into effect from March, 2007, in order to provide time for the industry to adjust before the formal closure of analogue programmes in February, 2009.

As the world's largest TV producer exporting about 50 million sets a year, China might suffer if the royalty claims are too high. The United States and Europe are two of its major export markets.

"If the patent holders ask for US$23 per unit, that could be disastrous for everybody," Shen said. An executive with TCL, the third-largest TV producer in terms of sales, said the impact should not be very serious, but that would not come without hard-fought bargains.

According to the 21st Business Herald newspaper, the State Intellectual Property Office (SIPO) has a list of digital TV set royalty claims, which amounts to US$23 per unit almost three times more than the previous estimate.
post #37 of 37 Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Fixed it for ya

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page